PDA

View Full Version : Are the Portland Trailblazers the team of the future?

JordansBulls
11-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Many posters and people believe that to be the case. They have had 3 high draft picks and guys who can be considered impact players. They got Brandon Roy, Lamarcus Aldridge and now Greg Oden (if healthy).

Are you one to believe they will eventually be the team of the future and win titles with that group?

dawgsfan_45
11-02-2008, 05:22 PM
No but i think the hawks are. :)

Lakersfan2483
11-02-2008, 05:24 PM
I actually think the Lakers have the team of the future considering the age of Bynum, Farmar, Ariza, and both Kobe and Gasol are just 30 and 28 yrs of age respectively. The Lakers are poised for a lot of title runs.

As far as the Blazers, Oden's health problems seem to be a major concern. If they can keep their group in tact and add a few veterans, they will challenge the Lakers out west....

Sox Appeal
11-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Many posters and people believe that to be the case. They have had 3 high draft picks and guys who can be considered impact players. They got Brandon Roy, Lamarcus Aldridge and now Greg Oden (if healthy).

Are you one to believe they will eventually be the team of the future and win titles with that group?

Yes, I defiantly believe the Blazers should be considered the team of the future in the NBA. They have already have their superstar player in Brandon Roy, then have one of the best young big men in the NBA in Lamarcus Aldridge, and they have Oden who if he can stay healthy, has the potential to be one of the most dominating Centers in NBA history. But outside of those 3 terrific players, they also have Nicholas Batum, Jared Bayless, Rudy Fernandez, and others who all of the potential to be All - Star players.

barreleffact
11-02-2008, 05:46 PM
no. they are a team that will moderately contend every year. kind of like pheonix just with a vastly different playing style. however, they dont have any super elite player. aldridge is really really good, roy is borderline great but no kobe, and oden has no offense and no defense if he cant stay healthy. they have a nice core, but besides the pistons, can you name a team that won without a super elite player? last few titles had KG, Duncan, Wade, Shaq/kobe, Jordan...can anybody on that team be that caliber of a player? i just dont see it

JIDsanity
11-02-2008, 06:06 PM
There will be better teams, but they will be good in the future

MiamiHeat
11-02-2008, 06:07 PM
They aren't THE team of the future
but they will be a good one

king4day
11-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Seems like a few people are voting based on Oden being hurt already.

thrilla11
11-02-2008, 07:20 PM
If healthy...
theyll dominate...
im thinking 3+ championships...
but IF is the main word

amare#1
11-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Yes they definitely are IMO. Kevin Pritchard is a genius and has done a great job in building a great team for the future.

dgo24
11-02-2008, 07:43 PM
The Lakers are the team of the present and the future.

oshea225
11-02-2008, 08:16 PM
health is the key here. i voted yes because you said barring oden stays healthy. with a healthy oden, roy, aldridge, rudy fernandez, and others, as well as future draft picks (p'land has shown great draft intelligence recently), they will be scary.

Nexus
11-02-2008, 08:19 PM
The only thing holding them back in a few years is the salary cap. They appear to have a core of selfless youngsters who may take SOME pay cuts to win, but there is simply too much talent to keep under the cap.

Bayless, Blake, Rodriguez
Roy, Fernandez
Outlaw, Batum, Webster
Aldridge, Frye, Diogu
Oden, Pryzbilla

Where are the holes? If Bayless is a bust (I doubt it), make a trade involving the overcrowded wings. Oden won't be a bust. The 3 doesn't have a future all-star, but has a double digit scorer/outside presence in Outlaw and big potential in Batum and Webster. Plus, Roy can move to the three if Fernandez keeps it up. Their bench in a few years could compete with lottery teams’ starting lineups.

FlawlessKB24
11-02-2008, 08:22 PM
when the time comes, they are gonna have to sign these guys to long contracts.
you guys know how young players are. money first
they wont be able to keep them all and have the players get the deals they want

none of them are gonna take pay cuts. i think its gonna blow up in their face actually

AtlFANATIC
11-02-2008, 08:34 PM
They have really turned things around in Portland and got rid of the "jailbirds." I really hope Nate Mac steers them in the right direction....a very underrated coach. Health is always key for any young team so that they can continue to develop...that goes without saying.

Ph1lly Diehard
11-02-2008, 08:52 PM
They'll be 1 of many teams to be the team of the future. A few to name are the Hawks/76ers/Pacers just to name a few

IndyRealist
11-02-2008, 09:37 PM
No contender gets all of their key players through the draft. You build a good program, focus on a key player or two, and players who want too much or don't quite fit go elsewhere and you bring in free agents and make trades to build your team from there. The Lakers didn't draft Odom. Or Gasol. They didn't even draft Kobe. But they're contenders now.

The Trailblazers will be the team of the future because they have a proven history of building contenders. They have been talked about as contenders for at least two years out of every decade I can remember. They build good teams.

ARMIN12NBA
11-02-2008, 09:43 PM
I actually think the Lakers have the team of the future considering the age of Bynum, Farmar, Ariza, and both Kobe and Gasol are just 30 and 28 yrs of age respectively. The Lakers are poised for a lot of title runs.

As far as the Blazers, Oden's health problems seem to be a major concern. If they can keep their group in tact and add a few veterans, they will challenge the Lakers out west....

Agreed.

Lakers4ItAll
11-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Oden is a bust thus far. And even if he becomes healthy is doesn't have much of an offense and he fouls way too much

SAVAGE CLAW
11-02-2008, 11:21 PM
they have to make some hard decitions to be contenders.

Roy or Rudy ...or Bayless.

Webster, or Outlow or Batum

Aldrige or Frye.

They need to turn at least 1 of each of the matchups in an allstar small forward or Poing Guard .

Otherwise, they will get their Cap killed and a lot of ego troubles.

The other day against spurs i noticed people started to hail Rudy , Rudy, Rudy, Rudy

and Misteriously Roy when he was playing the point did not look at him or pass him the ball in the whole second half and there were several ocasions he was open and alone, instead he played one on one challenges.

In fact in a fast break he had both Batum and Rudy alone and he passed it to Batum.

On the same chapter, Frye is shooting everything that comes to his hands instead of looking for the pass.

And Batum and outlow are doing it so.

So, as i said egoes can be a Hughe Problem, they better slim the bench and trade for two awesome starters to complete the line up X/Roy/x/Aldrige/ Oden.

Rudy left a 35 million tax free EUROS for 5 years offer in Russia to play for the blazers for 3 million dollars a year , he is going to demmand max contract and starting soon.

SAVAGE CLAW
11-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Dont sleep on the grizzlies if they trade one of the hoggers (gay or mayo) For a defensive stopper and a Reliable Power foward.

barreleffact
11-02-2008, 11:29 PM
No contender gets all of their key players through the draft. You build a good program, focus on a key player or two, and players who want too much or don't quite fit go elsewhere and you bring in free agents and make trades to build your team from there. The Lakers didn't draft Odom. Or Gasol. They didn't even draft Kobe. But they're contenders now.

The Trailblazers will be the team of the future because they have a proven history of building contenders. They have been talked about as contenders for at least two years out of every decade I can remember. They build good teams.

kind of contradictory because 2 year contenders isnt that great. plus...how many rings have they won? i think zero...1? its a serious question, but i wouldnt be surprised if im wrong. the point is, you cant be a contender if you never win/won. pheonix was in the mix for like 5 years but they were never really a contender IMO. too many glaring weaknesses that real contenders will exploit. portland has had some good teams before though, and they are solid now, but they wont get a ring. their best player is Roy. Roy is good to great at everything, but he isnt elite at anything.

BarryIsInnocent
11-02-2008, 11:31 PM
It will be just like the old days. The blazers will make the playoffs and loose to Lakers in round 1. Lakers will win 3 more champs before kobe retires

Ansy
11-03-2008, 12:09 AM
Not without some further acquisitions or some luck. In the past 20 years only 1 team has won the title without a top 5 player, the Pistons. And they only got one.

Depth can make some truly great teams (The old look Kings, the Pippen era Blazers and many others) but history has shown time and time again that you really need that top 5 talent to build a dynasty.

At the very least the Blazers look to be a 10-year contender who are regularly making noise in the playoffs but I don't see a dynasty unless Oden lives up to the hype and emerges as that truly dominant force.

zambo4president
11-03-2008, 12:13 AM
Nahh Derrick Rose and TT are

JordansBulls
11-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Dont sleep on the grizzlies if they trade one of the hoggers (gay or mayo) For a defensive stopper and a Reliable Power foward.

What do you think about Indiana?

LAKERS 24/7
11-03-2008, 12:47 AM
Don't think so, but things are looking very very good for them in a couple years. Rudy Fernandez is going to be a great player imo.

michaellui11
11-03-2008, 01:14 AM

didn't we already have like 5 forums like this already
but anyways..yes i think so because that's why i support them

iluvsports2much
11-03-2008, 01:31 AM

true but the lakers scouted him more then any other team let alone the hornets...you know,i thought the knicks mite be a good team of the future,they had nate robinson,channing frye,jamal crawford,eddy curry,zack randolph,not to mention starbury and a young core....but look where they are now....i mean ya the t-bags i mean jailblazers i mean trailblazers look good now,but things dont always work out the way it seems in the nba...this is a business,players want more money then teams are willing to give up...oh and ppl like stephon marbury happen...

SAVAGE CLAW
11-03-2008, 01:43 AM
What do you think about Indiana?

I think they have two very good pieces to build on Hibbert and Granger, im still amazed at how did Bird Steal Hibbert from Collangelo, Raptors are going to regret the trade.

but at the same time their growing is going to be held back because they have too many fat and long contracts on players that dont deserve what they earn, Tinsely, TJ ( only because the injurys), Dunleavy ( last year was a mirage) and Murphy.

Of course if they are patient, those same horrible contracts will become Priceless gems when they are going to expire, kind of ratliffs and kwames last year. so .... Not bad.

Fireworld
11-03-2008, 02:22 AM
no, but if they had one of the current superstars, yes

lakerboy
11-03-2008, 02:54 AM
They look good, along with the Lakers, Hornets, and Jazz.

Hellcrooner
11-03-2008, 03:41 AM
too many questins to be answered yet, specially about odens health.

thapharcyd
11-03-2008, 04:14 AM
What people have to understand is Portland is a young team with loads of talent, but some will leave for beefier contracts that Portland will not be able to pay. If they keep all the same players for 4-5 years their payroll would be wayyyy to high.

theimortalone
11-03-2008, 04:27 AM
If Oden can avoid getting hurt, and show that he can play at the NBA level, then yes Portland is the team of the future. They have loads of talent, but their winning success depends on Oden.

blackjack_119
11-03-2008, 05:25 AM
What people have to understand is Portland is a young team with loads of talent, but some will leave for beefier contracts that Portland will not be able to pay. If they keep all the same players for 4-5 years their payroll would be wayyyy to high.

Umm... what team can pay the players more than the Blazers? Not only can teams pay more to their own players, but the Blazers have the richest owner (by far) in the NBA who is happy to spend money. (He has purchased purchased 5 first round picks for cash in the last three years: Nicholas Batum '08, Rudy Fernandez '07, Petteri Koponen '07, Sergio Rodiguez '06 and Joel Freeland '06)

pete_one
11-03-2008, 05:34 AM
no, nawlins, salt lake, funkytown, disneyworld, philly will all be better, + more

amare#1
11-03-2008, 07:17 AM

none of them are gonna take pay cuts. i think its gonna blow up in their face actually

This is a good point. But I'm pretty sure they are basically exempt from the salary cap. Their owner is Paul Allen, who co-founded Microsoft and is worth $16 billion. Here is a quote from him:

“My efforts are focused on continuing to support the Trail Blazers and the long-term financial health of the franchise."

With a solid coach in McMillan, a genius GM in Pritchard, and Paul Allen as the owner, it seems like they have all bases covered.

BALLER71
11-03-2008, 07:59 AM
They could only keep 2 guys...

JayW_1023
11-03-2008, 08:12 AM
They have some awesome pieces. I love LaMarcus smooth high post game...Brandon Roy plays like Jalen Rose, only far less erratic. Rudy Fernandez has that creativity, flair and unpredictablility that has made Manu my favorite player in the NBA. He is one of those special basketball players that can show some amazing things without forcing the action. Just great basketball instincts.

You can tell, I'm really hyped about Portland. I'm not sure they are a playoff team yet...but I really like their pieces. And I really like how Nate coaches. If Oden can at least become a defensive force they'll be a playoff team. I think Oden will make an impact if he stays healthy...it's just a learning process, he has never gotten in a playing rhythm where he could focus learning the NBA game.

Yao stunk too in his first few NBA games until he broke out and scored 20 against the Shaq-less Lakers. That gave him enough confidence to perform at this level. I think the same will happen for Oden.

Draco
11-03-2008, 08:29 AM

They could probably sign their better players and afford to lose whoever they can't afford. I don't think that's the rub though.. People thought the Clippers wouldn't be able to resign all of their talent (when they had Darius Miles, Brand, and whoever else was on the team). The problem wasn't signing all of them it was that not all of t those players were as good as their reputations at that time. I'm not convinced that Portland has a team chock-full-o-superstars either. We'll see. Teams are generally built through the draft but there's always the potential of free agency to radically change a teams make-up.. The Laker's are prime example. People who think the Lakers are the team of the future today.. well, that wasn't even conceivable a year ago.

Tblaze
11-03-2008, 08:44 AM
I don't think the blazers are the team of the future, more likely a team of the future. Because there's some other teams with quite some young talent on it. And potential alone has never ever won someone a championship, there's too many things that could go wrong along the path.

JayW_1023
11-03-2008, 08:57 AM
It's too bad they had to let Jarrett Jack go...that guy is underrated. He could defend both guard positions and always played with savvy and heart. His only knock is that he isn't a great passer and sometimes passes in traffic too many times.

I remember when Arenas said he'd drop 50 on Portland to get back at McMillan for his Team USA snub...Jack totally shut him down that game. Every championship team needs a good lockdown defender...like Bowen, Posey and Rick Fox in past years.

JordansBulls
11-03-2008, 10:55 AM
so are people predicting Rudy Fernandez as a major piece to the Blazers?

Hellcrooner
11-03-2008, 11:05 AM
^i dont think so, down the road they wil have to choose, Roy or Rudy, similar to what happened to Tj Ford and Calderon.

Rudy has a chance to become the best white player in teh league in 3 or 4 years.

Tblaze
11-03-2008, 11:11 AM
^difference with tj ford and Calderon, they're both pure pgs... Roy can play from 1-3, and so can Fernandez. I actually think they can be on the court at the same time very well. If Portland obtains a pure pg, they might play rudy at the 2 and Roy at the 3. That wouldn't be that bad.

GregOden#1
11-03-2008, 11:51 AM
It's too bad they had to let Jarrett Jack go...that guy is underrated. He could defend both guard positions and always played with savvy and heart. His only knock is that he isn't a great passer and sometimes passes in traffic too many times.

I remember when Arenas said he'd drop 50 on Portland to get back at McMillan for his Team USA snub...Jack totally shut him down that game. Every championship team needs a good lockdown defender...like Bowen, Posey and Rick Fox in past years.

For all the grief Jarret Jack was put through by the Portland fans, he did deserve some of it. He's an upstanding guy but just didn't fit in with the team and his faults outweighed his positives.

But damn, people are down on the Blazers these days. Just two weeks ago we were crowning them 10 time champions, now even some Portland fans want to trade Aldridge because they think he doesn't fit. It's been 3 days people, the Blazers are still the most talented young team in the league, and with PA that's not going to change.

Draco
11-03-2008, 12:28 PM
For all the grief Jarret Jack was put through by the Portland fans, he did deserve some of it. He's an upstanding guy but just didn't fit in with the team and his faults outweighed his positives.

But damn, people are down on the Blazers these days. Just two weeks ago we were crowning them 10 time champions, now even some Portland fans want to trade Aldridge because they think he doesn't fit. It's been 3 days people, the Blazers are still the most talented young team in the league, and with PA that's not going to change.

They'll be the flavor of the week until they actually make some noise in the playoffs. There have been plenty of of talented young teams that came before them ultimately went nowhere.. So far their most indespensible player is unproven and oft injured at this point in his career.

wingman241
11-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Golden State Warriors should definitely be up there. When you have a nucleus that has already proven themselves at the age of 23 (Ellis and Biedrins), there needs to be consideration there. One of the top five youngest teams last year who won 48 games. We dont have Baron, (I know, we're not as good, big deal) but we still have the core that got us there

GregOden#1
11-03-2008, 08:07 PM
They'll be the flavor of the week until they actually make some noise in the playoffs. There have been plenty of of talented young teams that came before them ultimately went nowhere.. So far their most indespensible player is unproven and oft injured at this point in his career.

There havent been any teams as talented as this one, no team has had an owner that was willing to spend unlimited amounts of money to keep their players like this one, and no team has had a GM like KP to keep the machine oiled and running.

Lakers4ItAll
11-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Lol

it will be just like the old days. The blazers will make the playoffs and loose to lakers in round 1. Lakers will win 3 more champs before kobe retires

M's Fan2411
11-03-2008, 10:44 PM
No the Blazers have talent but they aint gonna do sheeeh, they will be in the playoffs but I dont think they will ever win a championship sorry...u got the Lakers and then who knows if Artest stays with Houston and then the Jazz ! then other teams will come along wait and see!

jaydagreat
11-03-2008, 10:52 PM
MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES
3 rookies in their startin lineup
1 sophmore
and 1 3rd year player, good young core in my opinion. watch out!!!

kobe24>jordan23
11-03-2008, 10:58 PM
it will be between the t-wolves,lakers,blazers,or grizzles but i will take the lakers because they have kobe, gasol and fisher and those guys will teach the young lakers how to be winners

Sox Appeal
11-03-2008, 11:32 PM
MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES
3 rookies in their startin lineup
1 sophmore
and 1 3rd year player, good young core in my opinion. watch out!!!

Yeah, the Grizzlies defiantly have one of the brightest futures out of any team in the NBA. They have Mike Conley who's already proven he's going to be a VERY solid PG, OJ Mayo who the 3rd pick in the draft last year, and I honestly believe he has the potential to be one of the 5 best players in the NBA, Rudy Gay who could be headed to the All - Star game this season, and other players like Mark Gasol, and Kyle Lowry who both have the potential to be very solid players for them in the future.