PDA

View Full Version : Peacock's Offseason Outlook - Pitching

MastaPeacock
11-02-2008, 11:54 AM
ROTATION

Greinke and Meche. For the first time in a long time, the Royals actually have a great 1-2. The problem comes with the 3-4-5. Here are the contenders:

Luke Hochevar - Last year's rookie showed occasional (very occasional) flashes of ability before getting injured, somehow brusing his ribcage while pitching. If he pitches like he did last year, look for a trip to AAA if we have an alternative. So far, looks like a strong possibility for the rotation due to lack of alternatives.

Kyle Davies - I guy I have personally hated for some time. He would pitch like a Cy Young pitcher for a game, then walk ten guys for the next three games. The last four starts or so of the season, he seemed to click. Instead of taking his time pitching, he decided to waste less time between pitches. The result? He killed. If he pitches like that over a full season, we have a solid number 3 or maybe even a number 2. If he lacks control like every other season, then he will be ****** like every other year.

Brian Bannister - His stock has fallen about as fast as the DOW. Two seasons ago, he was one of the best rookies in baseball. He was considered by many to be a top of the rotation guy despite his lack of quality "stuff," relying instead on tricking the batters and keeping them on their toes. Who's the trick now *****? It seems the other teams batters figured out his trickery and slammed him like Larry Johnson and a drunk hoe in a club. He went through a TERRIBLE sophomore season. Maybe it was the traditional sophomore slump, but if the bad performances continue, look for him to take a ride to Omaha.

Brandon Duckworth - A joke. He was only in the rotation because they wanted to let Greinke get some rest after he had pitched a career high innings and games pitched. Has poor control, not much stuff, and really lucked out the first couple starts. He won't be in the rotation unless a tornado comes through and takes out half the team. Even then, there's always free agents and Lima Time.

Luke Hudson - The forgotten man on the 40 man roster. He came to us as a free agent two years ago in Spring Training, being cut by the Reds. He pitched like a maniac and looked like a rotation mainstay. However, a shoulder injury took him out and he's been MIA for the past year and a half. I think he may be a free agent, but the Royals are allowing him to continue rehab in Arizona either way. If he returns to pre-injury form before Spring Training, or at least by Mid-season, we could have a guy that no one recognizes but holds down the number 5 spot.

Tyler Lumsden - He's included only because he's a starter and on the 40 man roster. He played TERRIBLE in AAA, so there' next to no chance that he'll be in the majors to start the season, or at all. Someone on this site brought up the interesting idea of bumping him to the bullpen, a la Greinke, until he figures it out. I like it.

BULLPEN

John Bale - Terrible in the rotation, but showed something when he came back. I think he's an arbitration guy, but look for him to return.

Jimmy Gobble - Two seasons ago showed me why I was wrong about him. Last season showed me why I was right. He was terrible for most of his young career, then blossomed in the bullpen. Last year he was ridiculously terrible in the bullpen again. I see him getting a chance, but at the first sign of a struggle, look for him to get demoted or cut.

Ron Mahay - Bullpen mainstay. He was the most desired commodity at the trade deadline for our team, but we held on to him. He pitched pretty damn great, especially for an old man, except when he hurt his foot near the end of the year. He'll be in the bullpen and hopefully be as good as last year.

Joel Peralta - Another guy that had a down year and even got demoted to AAA, he could be good like two years ago and the years before that, and could be bad like last year. I'd lean towards the former.

Ramon Ramirez - Pitched great last year after we snatched him off the waiver wire. Power guy. I have a bad feeling about him crashing and burning this year. He was let go by another team, not demoted, and we got him for free. He was fired up when he got here. I hope he can continue, but I'm not optimistic.

Robinson Tejeda - Will be a reliable bullpen guy, got him for free as well. Hopefully, between him and Ramirez, one of them will continue to be a reliable guy. Odds are at least one will fail.

Yasuhiko Yabuta - Initially was terrible making the switch to the USA from Japanese baseball. After a brief stint at AAA, was a lot better. It was probably nerves and he seems to have fully made the transition. He'll be a solid bullpen guy.

Joakim Soria - Nuff said. The leagues second place saves guys, behind the record setting Francisco Rodriguez. Imagine what his numbers would have been like had be played for a good team. Honestly, he a monster, and will be our closer for the forseeable future, with a club friendly contract keeping him under contract for quite some time.

NEEDS

Rotation, Rotation, Rotation. We have two, maybe three worthy candidates, a few possibilities, and a few jokes. We would do well to sign at least one guy for the bullpen. Burnett will probably be a FA, but is injury prone. Sheets and Sabathia are out of our price range. Below is the list of FA Starters. Oliver Perez best fits our rebuilding plan, as he is a top of the rotation guy and is under 30 years old. I wouldn't mind John Garland or Brad Penny if he is healthy and the Dodgers buy him out. He ended the season pissed at them for sitting him, so we'll see if he's available. Other than that, there are a ton of guys near the end of their careers. Signing them would be a stop gap for now.

Bullpen. Maybe one more guy. Affeldt's a free agent, and it'd be pretty sweet to have him back. With Bale back, Yabuta adjusting to the USA, and what we already had, the loss of Nunez isn't a big deal and we should be fine. If GMDM can fine one more guy, we'll definitely be fine.

Kris Benson (33)
A.J. Burnett (32) - can opt out after '08 season - Type A
Paul Byrd (38) - Type B
Roger Clemens (46)
Matt Clement (33)
Bartolo Colon (36)
Ryan Dempster (32) - Type A
Shawn Estes (36)
Josh Fogg (32)
Freddy Garcia (33)
Jon Garland (29) - Type B
Tom Glavine (43)
Mike Hampton (36)
Mark Hendrickson (35)
Livan Hernandez (34)
Orlando Hernandez (43)
Jason Jennings (30)
Randy Johnson (45) - Type B
Kenshin Kawakami (34)
Jon Lieber (39)
Braden Looper (34) - Type B
Rodrigo Lopez (33) - club option for '09
Derek Lowe (36) - Type A
Greg Maddux (43) - Type B
Pedro Martinez (37)
Sergio Mitre (28)
Jamie Moyer (46) - Type A
Mark Mulder (31)
Mike Mussina (40) - Type A
Carl Pavano (33) - $13MM club option for '09 with a $1.95MM buyout
Brad Penny (31) - $8.75MM club option for '09 with a $2MM buyout - Type B
Odalis Perez (32)
Oliver Perez (27) - Type A
Andy Pettitte (37) - Type A
Sidney Ponson (32)
Mark Prior (27)
Kenny Rogers (44)
Glendon Rusch (34)
C.C. Sabathia (28) - Type A
Curt Schilling (42)
Ben Sheets (30) - Type A
John Smoltz (42) - Type B
Koji Uehara (34)
Kip Wells (32)
Randy Wolf (32) - Type B

FA List Source: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/12/2009-mlb-free-a.html

rhensley3
11-02-2008, 05:44 PM
nice post, masta. good to see ya back! your reasoning here indicates a big question mark on the staff. in september, however, the staff performed well and a general maturing seemed to be taking place. i guess we will have to see what happens in the off-season, and munch on that list of fa's for awhile.

MastaPeacock
11-02-2008, 07:39 PM
I think we've got three, maybe four guys that we can be sure are fits for the rotation. I just think we should get one more solid guy, like a Garland or a Penny to give us that extra spot of confidence.

rhensley3
11-03-2008, 09:26 AM
i'd like to see a left-hander. someone we could get in a 3 year deal, with maybe a player option around the 12-13 mil neighborhood.

rhensley3
11-28-2008, 03:00 PM
well....ramirez traded for coco crisp. now you dont have to worry about him flaming out. we still need that left-hander, though.

rhensley3
12-12-2008, 11:32 PM
kyle farnsworth?