PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets want more than Billups for Iverson

Sports Illustrator
11-02-2008, 10:00 AM
NBA sources said the Nuggets have inquired about obtaining Denver native Chauncey Billups from the Pistons for Allen Iverson. Because of Iverson's lucrative contract ($20.8 million) it would take more than Billups ($11 million), though.

From Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2008/11/02/shaq_isnt_fading_away/?page=3)

broncsnugzbrave
11-02-2008, 11:37 AM
I don't know AC played pretty good last night but might as well get something for Iverson before we get nothing.

DenButsu
11-02-2008, 11:44 AM
SI, wouldn't you agree that the thread title should instead be, "Pistons must offer more than Billups for Iverson"? The article you posted doesn't make it sound like the Nugs want more, it just points to the necessity of the trade being within the 25% salary range necessitated by the CBA.

DenButsu
11-02-2008, 11:47 AM
I don't know AC played pretty good last night but might as well get something for Iverson before we get nothing.

AC at times finds a way to outdo himself. But his true self is a natural born backup. He's not a true NBA starter.

That said, I can understand why Karl likes him, in a strange way. I can understand why Karl like the type of player he is, in terms of his tough mentality, his grit, his fight. But the bottom line is that that stuff doesn't make up for his lack of talent and skill. And he needs to play no more than 20 if not 15 minutes over the course of the season, if he's to be an asset rather than a liability.

SUNDUNDIDIT
11-02-2008, 11:54 AM
I don't know.....I would rather keep Iverson, and try someway somehow to get a PG to play along with A.I. and MELLO.......But if trading A.I. for a point guard, and tryin to incorporate J.R. Smith as a SG?? Then it may be the only way out!!!

I would have to think about this more....It seems more complicated then trading A.I. straight up for Billups...I just don't know.

C-Dub
11-02-2008, 03:08 PM
i know that you all know i dont want AI to leave, but honestly, if they are agoing to do this, i would ask for more than billups, maybe add in hunter and or LK and get someone like rip . rip and billups are good friends

Nugget Tony
11-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Man once we got AI I was stoked like everyone....but he has lloked pretty bad to me this season....Hes to erratic for me.....Not that I dont like AI...I do...I would rather keep him on our team......but lets face it...hes not the AI that led the Sixers to the finals.....

So if we do move AI it better be for more than what we moved Camby for......granted we got the 10mil trade exception which I believe the Nuggs FO has a good plan for.....

I would take Billups......but not sure even if the numbers worked out I would go for a str8 across deal......Chemestry is way important...not just talent.....We cant keep breaking up our team...

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-02-2008, 03:46 PM
I always knew someday AI would be a Piston... In 2000-2001 he was within reaching distance of going to Detroit. I'd hate to see him go, I don't know about you guys but, I really think Melo and AI can get it done together.

Tian Tian Boy
11-02-2008, 03:58 PM
is billups 100%??

i don't think joe D. would take A.i,LK for billups and rip.. maybe A.I.,hunter for billups/hermann or billups/amir johnson..

but seriously, A.I and melo can still win it all... Karl should arrange the player rotation... and the staff should scout more on our next opponents...

my gawd!! put balkman on kobe's face!!! even for a half quarter...

SlowMo
11-02-2008, 04:11 PM
I wouldn't look to trade AI right now. He's been here for a few seasons now, he's got good chemistry with Melo, Kmart, and Smith. Trading for billups just shakes things up again. I don't see it actually improving us over having AI. This wouldn't add more talent, just change the type of ball played from the point.

AI has been alright so far this season. He's making some great plays from the baseline. shooting alright... Just needs to get some intensity back in his game. Last spring he was playing like a mad man, I wanna see that again. But I'm sure that will come out more as the season progresses.

If we were to trade AI for Billups, This is the trade off:

He'll add to perimiter D, and a good 3-ball. But then we'll lose some of the drive and dish that AI brings, plus the ability to create his own shot if our team is in an offensive ditch. Billups is a very good all-around player, but not dominant on either end of the floor. AI is a liability on offense, but does make some good steals; but is an incredible offensive player.

C-Dub
11-02-2008, 04:25 PM
i hope we dont trade ai, he is playing how he should right now, good assist numbers and lightened up on scoring, just what we wanted, and playing pretty good d also, like always

DJiC
11-02-2008, 06:11 PM
why not trade ai/lk for billups/prince

SUNDUNDIDIT
11-02-2008, 06:41 PM
why not trade ai/lk for billups/prince

Prince,K-Mart,and Melo are all starters....It wouldn't work out.

ivylleague1
11-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Fantastic!!!! Iverson the best player in the NBA, to be traded to Detroit, great !!! AI and the Pistons will surely win the championship !!!! I would have prefered Phoenix, It will be great to team up Shaq (The most dominating center) with the most dominating guard (AI). I will pay to see them play and win championship. Jason Terry and Hinrich are available. Chicago will give anything to have Iverson as their GO - TO - GUY which will make them a contender, and Kidd will love to play alongside AI in Dallas a good fit!!!! I do not think Billup, Kidd, and Nash will agree to be traded to Denver without Iverson, Hinrich, Jason Terry, Andrea Miller and Barbosa may agree. They will be distributing to Melo and others and will help develop them, and maybe 5 years from now Nuggets will be ready to contend.
Nota Bene: Iverson is the only player amongst those currently playing to rank in the top 10 in points, assists, and steals in the last four years, including leading the league (1st) in scoring in 2005, and top 2 in steals (defense) He needs to be playing for a team that is going for the championship not the one that wants to develop players.

C-Dub
11-02-2008, 11:18 PM
um, whose side are you on here?

Theanswer76
11-02-2008, 11:51 PM
wait i dont understand this, can someone answer this to me, is this like a trade offer?? Or a rumor

IversonIsKrazy
11-03-2008, 01:26 AM
a rumor, i think? lol! they said, if it wuz 2 happen, this would b the trade.

AI 4 Billups+McDyess

For us, i would say JR will develop more as a starting SG, and w/ billups running the point rather than ac. for ai though, i would say he'd b pretty happy.

DenButsu
11-03-2008, 01:36 AM
AI 4 Billups+McDyess

It works financially. (http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=366~63~530&teams=8~7~7&te=&cash=)

BRAVE KID
11-03-2008, 12:34 PM
whoaa I didn't think that this would progress so quickly..I thought this would wait out a bit longer..it looks like billups and mcdyess