PDA

View Full Version : Why lebron may Actually come to europe in 2010

Hellcrooner
11-02-2008, 03:41 AM
well, think about this.

If lebron opts out in 2010 he will get a max contract by actual parameters, that is 6 years and 120 million dolars, that after taxes is like 50 million .

If lebron does not accept an euro offer, David starn will consider europeans a bluff and wont agree to raise the salary cap or remove it.

Players would Love to see the salary cap removedes, specaillay someone like lebron, who kinos if he could get paid salarcap less he coudl get 40 million dollars a year offers..

And there is a collective agreement to be renewed in 2011, yes the summer after he changes teams.

So, how about he accepts a x years contract in greece that pays him 30 million euros(45 million dollars) TAX FREE with an option to come back to the nba after each season.

David sterns Panics

Players that are finishing their contracts in 2011 like Paul, Williams or Howard do pressure stern with going to europe too.

David stenr ***** down his pants.

David sterns Removes the salary cap.

Lebron , after just one year, wining the greek league, the greek cap, and a mediatic profenction aroudn the world that makes him a God in a way jordan never was uses his opt out clause and declare himselg a free agent.

With no salary cap, Lakers, Knicks, Cuban, Paul allen or BUlls go crasy an offe him a 10 year 800 million bucks contract.

He is like 26 and as he stayed only 1 yuear out of the nba does not hurt his legacy.

Does it not make sense?

theimortalone
11-02-2008, 03:43 AM
I honestly do not see Lebron going to Europe....However that would be some crazy **** if that were to happen!

barreleffact
11-02-2008, 03:52 AM
80 mil a year? lol...not happening. i see ur point but i doubt that happens either. and jordan was the original global icon. wat do you mean in a way jordan never was?

MGB
11-02-2008, 03:58 AM
if what you proposed actually happened, the league would go bankrupt, as it's already in financial trouble as evidenced by an article that came out not long ago showing not many teams in the league are actually making money as is.

Hellcrooner
11-02-2008, 03:59 AM
^ i was exagerating, i mean if he does do that, stern may allow the max contracts to be much more richer than they are now.

Belive men Jordan had never the global adoration that soccer stars get, thats what a superstar form nba woudl get if they deicded to com heere.

IN fact i guess Jordan never had the adoration in teh states that Babe Ruth or Joe Dimaio or Montana got for example. Basket is still not the fisrts choice e en in usa.

Sox Appeal
11-02-2008, 04:17 AM
^ i was exagerating, i mean if he does do that, stern may allow the max contracts to be much more richer than they are now.

Belive men Jordan had never the global adoration that soccer stars get, thats what a superstar form nba woudl get if they deicded to com heere.

IN fact i guess Jordan never had the adoration in teh states that Babe Ruth or Joe Dimaio or Montana got for example. Basket is still not the fisrts choice e en in usa.

Jordan was the most popular person on the planet when the Bulls where winning championships. I lived through it, I would know, and if you where around during the Bulls title run, you would agree with me. So I would say Jordan is just as popular as any soccer player has been since Pele.

ARMIN12NBA
11-02-2008, 04:24 AM
Jordan was the most popular person on the planet when the Bulls where winning championships. I lived through it, I would know, and if you where around during the Bulls title run, you would agree with me. So I would say Jordan is just as popular as any soccer player has been since Pele.

Nope. Soccer is and was #1. Jordan was popular in the states, but not as much around the world. Trust Hellcrooner on that. He is from Spain. He would know.

MTar786
11-02-2008, 05:23 AM
Nope. Soccer is and was #1. Jordan was popular in the states, but not as much around the world. Trust Hellcrooner on that. He is from Spain. He would know.

ive been aound the world. spain is just one country. and michael jordan, muhammad ali, maradona, the pope, pele are all world wide known names

now days when it comes to popularity in soccer david beckham is the most well known.
christiano ronaldo id say is favoured most in europe.
but EVERY european knows who michael jordan is.. even shaq.. alot even kobe.. not as much as mj or shaq.. lebron is hardly known.. i know some of my friends from over seas were asking me about 'that guy who kept dunking' they seem to forget his name tho (lebron)

so anyway ur wrong..
btw i think bball is just as popular as any sport in america.. in fact id say its gonna be more popular than football very soon if it isnt already.. but maybe im biased cuz im from LA n we dont have a football team lol

SteveNash
11-02-2008, 05:57 AM
It's not going to happen.

LeBron will get a contract closer to 150 and should be able to take home around 100 million not 50.

If all goes well, that would line LeBron up for a ~250 Million $ contract in his prime.

The Eurozone is falling right now and the best time for a deal to look good was this summer when Childress was signed.

No basketball team has ever signed a deal like this. A similar situation would be Beckham coming to MLS, but most of his salary was based on sponsorship deals, and since he's been a major bust since he's come here, he's probably not going to come close to that $250m figure. LeBron on the other hand is already marketed world wide and FIBA is already well established in Europe, they don't need a basketball "Messiah" to rest to fate of their leagues on.

If LeBron somehow manages to go. I don't think they could afford to bring over Paul, Williams, and Howard. LeBron would get the most for being a trendsetter , anyone else who follows would get a lot less, not only because they're not as good as James, but because they're not going to have anywhere close to the same amount of hype as LeBron would.

David Stern can't remove the salary cap, he represents the owners and most owners do not want to eliminate the salary cap.

No team would offer 10 years 800 million.

No, it does not make any sense.

valade16
11-02-2008, 07:36 AM
ive been aound the world. spain is just one country. and michael jordan, muhammad ali, maradona, the pope, pele are all world wide known names

so anyway ur wrong..
btw i think bball is just as popular as any sport in america.. in fact id say its gonna be more popular than football very soon if it isnt already.. but maybe im biased cuz im from LA n we dont have a football team lol

Your right about everything except Basketball becoming the most popular sport, it's not even close to football... The NFL makes more money than the MLB, NHL, and NBA COMBINED!!! And that's considering they only play 16 games apiece where as the others play at the least 82 games...

DocUSN
11-02-2008, 08:06 AM
well, think about this.

If lebron opts out in 2010 he will get a max contract by actual parameters, that is 6 years and 120 million dolars, that after taxes is like 50 million .

If lebron does not accept an euro offer, David starn will consider europeans a bluff and wont agree to raise the salary cap or remove it.

Players would Love to see the salary cap removedes, specaillay someone like lebron, who kinos if he could get paid salarcap less he coudl get 40 million dollars a year offers..

And there is a collective agreement to be renewed in 2011, yes the summer after he changes teams.

So, how about he accepts a x years contract in greece that pays him 30 million euros(45 million dollars) TAX FREE with an option to come back to the nba after each season.

David sterns Panics

Players that are finishing their contracts in 2011 like Paul, Williams or Howard do pressure stern with going to europe too.

Lebron , after just one year, wining the greek league, the greek cap, and a mediatic profenction aroudn the world that makes him a God in a way jordan never was uses his opt out clause and declare himselg a free agent.

With no salary cap, Lakers, Knicks, Cuban, Paul allen or BUlls go crasy an offe him a 10 year 800 million bucks contract.

He is like 26 and as he stayed only 1 yuear out of the nba does not hurt his legacy.

Does it not make sense?

Well your math sucks, lebron being in the higest tax Bracket would pay a Fed income tax of $41,978,597, a state Income tax of (saying he stay in ohio) $900,000, and about another $900,000 for Fica, so round things off and throw in a few other local taxs for the Clevland area your looking atno more the 46 million going to uncle sam. So he would pocket 74 million. Now If Lebron Goes to Europe he loses Market vaule in the USA (I'm not saying he won't be popular, but companies markting in the USA will be less inclined to throw in one of those mega deals) He will make up some Endorsment money in Europe, but not quite as much.

Then there is the question of his Legacy, Lebron wants to be the best, and to be the best you play aginst the best. He's very consiuos of The Micheal Jordan mistakes (base ball, second come backs). If Lebron left for Europe it would be base ball and mike all over agian. Even for one year, thats one less year to wina ring, one less year All nba, one less year to rack up points rebounds and assist for career toatals, and one less year to race for the MVP.

Money isnt the issue, Its the leagacy, When you look back at MJ do remember he was voted the most improved player pre Spring training by his team mates, or do remember national TV, Utah Jazz, the Shot, the fist. same for Lebron, 20 years form now no one will look back and say, Man, he tore that greek league up! And Lebron Knows it.

Raidaz4Life
11-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Kobe and Lebron aren't both going to Europe... I don't believe either would it makes no sense for them to play in a B league for a few million dollars more.

johngrn78
11-02-2008, 09:10 AM
As I see it, lots of great players will sign crazy contracts in europe every year, this is happening every summer more and more. European basketball got a great boost of budgets especially in russia and greece. The thing is that in order to fight the departure of top playes to europe for the big money I think that Davis Stern should not give up and change the salary limitations. I think that in 2-3 years the competition between european teams over NBA players will lead them to huge expenses, and we shall remember that the popularity and incomes of basketball in europe are not even close to thos in the NBA, thing that will make the sponsors and heads of the top teams in europe fight for a salary limitation in europe as well. When we get to that point, it will be less attractive for payers to cross the sea and we wil see more and more players coming back to the NBA, having no negotiation cards such as huge salaries abroad.
Now wouldn't it be a better solution?

AtlFANATIC
11-02-2008, 10:55 AM
....not going to Europe............lmao.

MiamiHeat
11-02-2008, 10:57 AM
:rolleyes:

superkegger
11-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Hes not going to europe. And the Nba is not abolishing the cap. If the cap was abolished, parity would dissappear completely, cause big markets can and would spend for players small markets just couldn't. Not happening. Money matters, but if Lebron jumps **** for 1 year to europe for the money, and comes back, he'd take a hit to his image, cause that just looks greedy and selfish. The money isn't a factor for them I don't think, sure they say they'd think about it, but the competition just isn't there, the satisfaction of winning isn't the same, and it just wouldn't make sense except financially, which even then, it's kind of ridiculous, cause if 20+ mil and what you're making off endorsements doesn't satisfy you, well ****.

jetsfan28
11-02-2008, 12:01 PM
well, think about this.

David sterns Panics

Does it not make sense?

No, it does not. First of all, you should probably check your math on the first part, he doesn't get taxed nearly that much on it. Second of all, his sponsorship deals, which more than pay for the difference, would possibly be voided if he went to Europe, while if, for example, he went to Brooklyn, they'd actually increase. Third of all, it's anyone who plays basketball's dream to play in the NBA, he won't go to Europe when he enjoys playing in the NBA, gets paid a ton by his sponsors, and makes all things considered over $35 million a year.

Ragan
11-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Not happening. If LeBron was even considering it, Stern would just agree to play some games over in Europe (much like the NFL, only basketball is actually popular in Europe and NBA teams have 41 home games instead of 7) and he could gain international fame that way, still get his (rumored) $50mil bonus from Nike for joining a NY or LA team, still play in the NBA and compete for real championships against real competition, and he could probably even get into acting or something if he wanted to as well.

Though this won't happen either, Kobe is much more likely to make the jump. He's older and at the tail end of his prime (when his contract runs out he'll most likely be on the downswing), he's lived over there before and speaks Italian already, he's already got rings and MVPs, and he's already wildly popular around the world (possibly even moreso than he is here where a lot of people still dislike him from the rape allegations and remember him as a cocky, whining teen).

$ NyC $
11-02-2008, 12:11 PM
wow that's like a movie.

LeBrowns
11-02-2008, 12:13 PM
LeBron is probably not going to Europe. If any superstar does it's probably Kobe.

Hellcrooner
11-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Parity?
Ive been folowing the league the last 25 years.

How many champions ive witnessed?

Lakers, Celtics, BUlls, Sixers, Pistons, Rockets, Spurs, Heat

8 out of 30/???????????

What parity?

IndyRealist
11-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Well your math sucks, lebron being in the higest tax Bracket would pay a Fed income tax of $41,978,597, a state Income tax of (saying he stay in ohio) $900,000, and about another $900,000 for Fica, so round things off and throw in a few other local taxs for the Clevland area your looking atno more the 46 million going to uncle sam. So he would pocket 74 million. Now If Lebron Goes to Europe he loses Market vaule in the USA (I'm not saying he won't be popular, but companies markting in the USA will be less inclined to throw in one of those mega deals) He will make up some Endorsment money in Europe, but not quite as much.

Then there is the question of his Legacy, Lebron wants to be the best, and to be the best you play aginst the best. He's very consiuos of The Micheal Jordan mistakes (base ball, second come backs). If Lebron left for Europe it would be base ball and mike all over agian. Even for one year, thats one less year to wina ring, one less year All nba, one less year to rack up points rebounds and assist for career toatals, and one less year to race for the MVP.

Money isnt the issue, Its the leagacy, When you look back at MJ do remember he was voted the most improved player pre Spring training by his team mates, or do remember national TV, Utah Jazz, the Shot, the fist. same for Lebron, 20 years form now no one will look back and say, Man, he tore that greek league up! And Lebron Knows it.

:clap:

Not to mention that David Stern enforces the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), he didn't write it. The CBA was negotiated between the players union and the team owners and the NBA itself. If players start going to Europe in droves it may raise the salary cap a bit, but it will never remove it or even double it. Most NBA teams barely make money. Several lose money. Raising salaries to astronomical levels would drive the NBA out of business. Try running a business full of minimum wage employees, then double their pay. See how long you stay open.

Hellcrooner
11-02-2008, 12:49 PM
in teh same span of time in "capless" soccer iv e seen win the champions league.

Real Madrid, Barcelona, Milan, Juventus, Manchester, Liverpool, Borussia, Bayern, Porto,Red Star, Olympique, Steaua, Psv, Ajax. thats 14 teams.

So again, does a cap ensure parity?

And why pairty in a league that bases on star system and that applies, star calls!!!?

jetsfan28
11-02-2008, 12:52 PM
in teh same span of time in "capless" soccer iv e seen win the champions league.

Real Madrid, Barcelona, Milan, Juventus, Manchester, Liverpool, Borussia, Bayern, Porto,Red Star, Olympique, Steaua, Psv, Ajax. thats 14 teams.

So again, does a cap ensure parity?

And why pairty in a league that bases on star system and that applies, star calls!!!?

Yes. Parity doesn't mean every team wins a championship, it means every team is competitive. Since 2003 alone, every team has made the playoffs except for Charlotte, an expansion team. Since 2006, every team has made it except for Charlotte, New York, Portland, Minnesota, and Seattle/OKC.

Hellcrooner
11-02-2008, 03:16 PM
^in the last 5 years aat least 7 differnet teams from each ggreat leaqgue (spain, italy, franceh, england, germay) has made it to the Champions league.

And a lot of different team from the minor leagues.

philab
11-02-2008, 08:12 PM
LeBron could go to Europe. I don't see it happening, but there would certainly be good reasons for him to jump ship and head overseas.

That said, this doesn't really have much to do with LeBron.

The situation he'll be in in 2010 isn't unique. Any free agent NBA player could jump ship for exactly the same reasons. At least a handful would draw more money overseas than in the NBA, too, as a result of the salary cap.

Guys will continue to leave the NBA or choose Europe over the NBA as long as things are set up this way. To date, though, the biggest name to take off is Josh Childress. Way too big a deal is being made of all this.

IndyRealist
11-02-2008, 09:46 PM
^ LeBron is not going to Europe, there's too many reasons not to. The NBA is not abolishing the salary cap. But Josh Childress is a good example of the problems inherent in the cap. If your best player can make upwards of 40% of your cap, and your next best makes, say, 30%, that doesn't leave much for the other 13 guys on your roster, does it? The real danger isn't the Kobe's and Lebron's leaving, it's the Josh Childress'. The key 6th men and role players that make good teams great. Players 6 through 9 matter a whole lot more than the NBA wants you to believe. Why else would people make such a big deal about James Posey leaving the Celtics?

UnWantedTheory
11-02-2008, 10:32 PM
I agree that not only will none of this supposed theory come to pass, but that it is also largely overhyped, and some of it even ridiculous to fathom. Sure some of those situations "could" happen...Anything can...but it wont...not at all...as above ^^^...the biggest name to leave is Josh Childress...I wouldnt worry about it. People like Lebron arent going to squabble over the money when they are already making 20+ endorsements. Again as above its the 6th man that will go get overpaid...And I doubt many of them will either...I dont believe this is going to be a huge trend...just a semi small fact of where the world is at. My last word is "BLAH".

Kaptain Kanada
11-02-2008, 11:02 PM
well, think about this.

David sterns Panics

Does it not make sense?

Not really.. maybe it was the broken english.

Lakers4ItAll
11-02-2008, 11:06 PM
1st main NBA player to go to Europe is gonna be seen as a selfish player that is all about the $$$

SAVAGE CLAW
11-02-2008, 11:14 PM
time will tell.

I wont lose sleep on it.

philab
11-02-2008, 11:33 PM
^ LeBron is not going to Europe, there's too many reasons not to. The NBA is not abolishing the salary cap. But Josh Childress is a good example of the problems inherent in the cap. If your best player can make upwards of 40% of your cap, and your next best makes, say, 30%, that doesn't leave much for the other 13 guys on your roster, does it? The real danger isn't the Kobe's and Lebron's leaving, it's the Josh Childress'. The key 6th men and role players that make good teams great. Players 6 through 9 matter a whole lot more than the NBA wants you to believe. Why else would people make such a big deal about James Posey leaving the Celtics?

The magnitude of losing LeBron or Kobe would be MUCH, MUCH greater than the magnitude of Childress leaving. However, the risk of losing LeBron or Kobe is far less than the risk of losing another Childress-type. I think you understand that, but your post, if read (I assume) incorrectly, is insane.

The danger in the Josh Childress' leaving would eventually lead to a danger in the LeBron's and Kobe's leaving, too.

And I think this is the second time you've tried to hammer home your point that Players 6-9 (or players 4-10, like last time) mean more than everyone thinks. I get it -- I never didn't get it.

Point is, Josh Childress is the biggest name to leave. Josh Childress isn't that big of a name. Of course we never want to see talent leaving the NBA, whether it's a solid 6th/7th man like Childress or it's Brian Scalabrine. The 451st best player enters the league either way, and that's no good.

Now, it is a bigger deal to lose someone like Childress than someone like Scalabrine, but keep things in perspective. First, the NBA also gains players like Rudy Fernandez, Luis Scola, etc. every year, more than offsetting whatever few players head to Europe. Second, although Childress was a solid player, until we see a surge of 6th/7th men or a significantly bigger name take off, I don't think there's a reason to worry. I'm not saying that can't or won't happen, but Josh Childress playing for Greece is no cause for panic.