PDA

View Full Version : Could Wade get DPOY?

barreleffact
11-01-2008, 05:23 PM
what would it take?

Catfish1314
11-01-2008, 05:31 PM
A miracle. If you're referring to the statistically attractive game he had against the Kings last night, disregard it. Sac is playing like garbage right now and for the sake of draft position, hopefully will the rest of the year.

laker1000
11-01-2008, 05:32 PM
he would need to average 8 rebounds 2.5-3.5 steals and 1.8 blocks to be considered and maybe win it.

ARMIN12NBA
11-01-2008, 05:34 PM
He is not a good defender so...I don't see it happening at all. Plus the Heat aren't any good defensively either.

goku
11-01-2008, 05:42 PM
no because artest is winning it

JermanJaysFan
11-01-2008, 05:43 PM
He is not a good defender so...I don't see it happening at all. Plus the Heat aren't any good defensively either.

That didn't stop Camby. In fact, it may help has cause...

dee279
11-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Dwayne Wade is a good defender, hes just not a shutdown defender. He is more of a Gerald Wallace type defender, he can hold you down, but mostly goes for steals and blocks. Also, IMO he is the best help side defender at the guard position. Just watch some of his games and look at his stats. I dont see him winning DPOY though because he is not the best rebounder and he is too much worried about offense but im not saying it cant happen.

Cavs_Fan24
11-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Its a possibility. A long shot, but after the numbers he put up (4 stl 4 blk) last night I would definitely say he's near the top right now, but the season's still young.

Jonathan2323
11-01-2008, 05:54 PM
He wont win DPOY but he will win MVP.

ARMIN12NBA
11-01-2008, 05:57 PM
That didn't stop Camby. In fact, it may help has cause...

Camby is a good defender though (at least in terms of shot-blocking)...That is why I said "plus." Dwyane Wade is not a good defender and being on a bad defensive team doesn't help.

BkOriginalOne
11-01-2008, 06:01 PM
No.
Although, I did appreciate his stat line of 4 blocks 4 steals against the kings.
Wade is just not a lock down defender like that, its especially hard for guards to win the award.

barreleffact
11-01-2008, 06:05 PM
how can yall say he isnt a good defender when he got 2nd team all defense behind kobe in 05 or 06. i dont think he has a chance at it either but i do think he will make a case for an all nba defensive team

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-01-2008, 06:12 PM
He wont win it for a couple reasons but mostly because Miami needs his offense. No perimeter player can be the offensive spark plug as well as the defensive stopper in the same year. He needs to use his energy on the other end of the court

barreleffact
11-01-2008, 06:13 PM
He wont win it for a couple reasons but mostly because Miami needs his offense. No perimeter player can be the offensive spark plug as well as the defensive stopper in the same year. He needs to use his energy on the other end of the court

...jordan???

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-01-2008, 06:15 PM
...jordan???

Pippen was the defensive stopper on that team. He guarded the oppositions best perimeter players allowing Jordan to roam and get tons of steals. As well as conserve energy. Jordan could have been the defensive stopper, but he would not have been as efficient on offense.

Lakersfan2483
11-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Wade is an average defender, he's better in terms of playing the passing lanes and with his help defense. He's average when it comes to his on the ball defense. I don't forsee him winning any awards for his defense. Top Candidates: KG, Artest (he looked great the other night), maybe Kobe (he does not have to score as much, so he can focus in ony being a lockdown defender, Battier, and Bowen.

barreleffact
11-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Pippen was the defensive stopper on that team. He guarded the oppositions best perimeter players allowing Jordan to roam and get tons of steals. As well as conserve energy. Jordan could have been the defensive stopper, but he would not have been as efficient on offense.

na, i mean when jordan won it, he was both. pippen wasnt drafted yet when he won it tho(i dont think)

MiamiHeat
11-01-2008, 06:34 PM
It would be great for him to win it, but I don't see it happening
but he will have some good defensive games throughout the season

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-01-2008, 06:34 PM
na, i mean when jordan won it, he was both. pippen wasnt drafted yet when he won it tho(i dont think)

Oh, I see what you mean. Pippen was on that team. I think he might have been a rookie. So he was not a factor then. So yes, it can be done..... But, you have to look at who accomplished that. MJ. The greatest ever. It has not beend since. Even by Jordan himself. Wade is a great, great player. But he is not MJ. On offense they are very similar. But defensively Jordan was one of the best perimeter players ever. He seemed to never get tired. So, yes it could happen, but its highly unlikely.

Lakersfan2483
11-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Usually, the award goes to big men, the last couple of perimeter guys to win the award were: Ron Artest, Gary Payton and Michael Jordan. Rodman won the award as well, but he's around 6'8 and played power forward. I say all this because it takes a tremendous defensive effort every night to win the award and usually power forwards and or centers win the award. A dominating center can change an entire game, look at Shaq's impact during the early 00's (Shaq never won the award, but his impact was felt, he changed the game down low), look at how impactful Mutombo, Robinson and Hakeem were on defense. The same for Zo and Ewing. A great big man can change the whole complexion and outcome of a game.

barreleffact
11-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Oh, I see what you mean. Pippen was on that team. I think he might have been a rookie. So he was not a factor then. So yes, it can be done..... But, you have to look at who accomplished that. MJ. The greatest ever. It has not beend since. Even by Jordan himself. Wade is a great, great player. But he is not MJ. On offense they are very similar. But defensively Jordan was one of the best perimeter players ever. He seemed to never get tired. So, yes it could happen, but its highly unlikely.

Agreed. just wanted to point out the possibility. but yea, incredibly unlikely for anyone. would be nice to see it happen again though

acohn1230
11-01-2008, 06:54 PM
anybody see dwight's 5 block, 5 steal game to open the season

Burkey3472
11-01-2008, 07:02 PM
I just dont see it, guards just dont win DPOY, good luck to him though

hdxstunts1
11-01-2008, 08:42 PM
I highly doubt it! LIke 5% chance! I dont think he's that good of a defender he's a SG that has to cover PG's because of his height.

MTar786
11-02-2008, 05:32 AM

i agree

Chronz
11-02-2008, 05:44 AM
how can yall say he isnt a good defender when he got 2nd team all defense behind kobe in 05 or 06. i dont think he has a chance at it either but i do think he will make a case for an all nba defensive team

Actually Kobe didnt make the team that year Hughes did, and thats because the best defenders dont make all-defensive teams, the year he made 2nd team he wasnt even the best perimeter defender on his own team. But yea hes not bad

SteveNash
11-02-2008, 06:00 AM
Camby won the award and he's not a very good defender, so sure why not.