PDA

View Full Version : If you were an nba superstar, how much money would you want?

oshea225
11-01-2008, 02:20 PM
if you were an nba superstar (the likes of lebron, kobe, wade, etc) how much money would you want on your contract and why? how many years?

MiamiHeat
11-01-2008, 02:22 PM
I would say How much do you think I'm worth ?
and I'll accept it or not :up:

JJ81
11-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Depends how valuable I feel to the team and how much they can realisticly afford.

Hawkeye15
11-01-2008, 02:29 PM
I would prefer longer term with player options vs huge money. A 7 year, $70 million, with player option after 4 years would be right on if I was a top 10 player. Gives my team freedom to sign other players, and in 4 years, if I didn't like where the team was going, I move elsewhere. I would also like a 10% trade kicker.

kswissdaf
11-01-2008, 02:35 PM
i would play in the nba 4 free

kobe24>jordan23
11-01-2008, 02:35 PM
if i were a superstar like kobe i would want like 5-10 million if i played for the lakers but if i was kobe and i would play for any other tEAM I WOULD WANT 20-30 MILLION!

Sixerlover
11-01-2008, 02:36 PM
More than the players that I am compared to in the NBA make.

BADizzleBoY
11-01-2008, 02:38 PM
sixerlover who are you on st johns

Scheck
11-01-2008, 02:50 PM
If I had the ability that these NBA superstars had, I would want to just make the league average for my position

It would be worth it enough to be a nba superstar if I got only 100K a year

JermanJaysFan
11-01-2008, 03:02 PM
In all honesty, I think I would be very classy in terms of my contract situation, and definitely not be going for top dollar. I would either a) Sign one year deals, allowing me to move around as I liked or b) Sign average for my ability deals, giving a hell of a lot away to charity etc., and also taking pay cuts to help my squad win the championship. I would also take a fairly sizeable pay cut to play in TO.

_Sn1P3r_
11-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Id sign for cheap if I have to to get another superstar in. I'd just want to win and whatever they pay me, Im good.

$ NyC $
11-01-2008, 03:10 PM
If i was a super star. I would ask for a 5 year 50 mil $ deal. 10 mil a year is way more than enough. I may even accept like 7 a year. Would rather win and get paid then get paid and lose.

dgo24
11-01-2008, 03:12 PM
I would want Kobe type of money,who wouldnt?

oshea225
11-01-2008, 03:18 PM
I would want Kobe type of money,who wouldnt?

me. in all seriousness, if i had kobe bryant like talent, i wouldnt ask for anything more than 3 million a year. what the hell do people like kobe need 20+ million dollars for? plus, this way it gives my team a lot of money to sign another big time talent, helping me win. i live luxuriously enough that im comfortbale with my 3 mill a year, have at least 1 other great player to help my team. i dont need diamonds, 5 cars, 50 inch tv's, all those kind of perks.

barreleffact
11-01-2008, 04:20 PM
yall are crazy. give me the max. I want the longest term with the highest pay with multiple opt out player options so I can renegotiate a higher contract after like 3-5 years like kobe. Money in america is bad and after the agent fee and TAXES, your getting less than half. If im gonna be th ebest, Im gonna get paid like the best because Im only young once and wont get another chance so i want it all. thats the honest truth because I can always go to another team and make them a contender. People say they'd settle for less...thats hilarious. allowing marbury, kwame brown, blount, etc to make more money than you. not me, i want the superstar going rate every time. some people want to think of the older stars that made crap back in the day, but you have to think of the economy back then, overall expenses, inflation, the union we have now, and a lot of other things.

Durant is hype
11-01-2008, 04:30 PM
As long as a get Titles and is a valuable part of the championchips I will take 1Mil.

oshea225
11-01-2008, 05:08 PM
yall are crazy. give me the max. I want the longest term with the highest pay with multiple opt out player options so I can renegotiate a higher contract after like 3-5 years like kobe. Money in america is bad and after the agent fee and TAXES, your getting less than half. If im gonna be th ebest, Im gonna get paid like the best because Im only young once and wont get another chance so i want it all. thats the honest truth because I can always go to another team and make them a contender. People say they'd settle for less...thats hilarious. allowing marbury, kwame brown, blount, etc to make more money than you. not me, i want the superstar going rate every time. some people want to think of the older stars that made crap back in the day, but you have to think of the economy back then, overall expenses, inflation, the union we have now, and a lot of other things.

what do you need all of that money for? people get by just fine making 150k a year, you need more than 22million?

clehmun
11-01-2008, 06:37 PM
let's be real here. give me as much as possible, the MAX. it's a business.
all those, "give me the minimum" etc, once you start making the minimum as a superstar, and kwame makes more than you, you'll be pissed.

give me the MAX, but i'll always work to deserve the max.
getting a huge contract is not only money, but means of respect, etc.

oshea225
11-01-2008, 06:50 PM
let's be real here. give me as much as possible, the MAX. it's a business.
all those, "give me the minimum" etc, once you start making the minimum as a superstar, and kwame makes more than you, you'll be pissed.

give me the MAX, but i'll always work to deserve the max.
getting a huge contract is not only money, but means of respect, etc.

wouldnt bother me one bit. obviously if im a superstar and i only ask for something like 3 million a year, i know that i CAN make more money than kwame, i just chose not to.

let your game speak, not your bank account

avsman05
11-01-2008, 06:57 PM
I would say give me as much as possible but still enough over so that we could assemble a championship team.

barreleffact
11-01-2008, 07:00 PM
what do you need all of that money for? people get by just fine making 150k a year, you need more than 22million?

those 150k people dont play in the nba. they arent the top 1% of their craft. it is a business and economics 101 says supply and demand. there is a demand for talent, i am a rare commodity, so you pay high for my supply. why settle for less when people go bankrupt every day. the economy worsens every day. i mean 3 mil today isnt what it used to be and still, after taxes and ur agent thats only 1 mil. not a lot at all to be top .01% in the world

barreleffact
11-01-2008, 07:01 PM
wouldnt bother me one bit. obviously if im a superstar and i only ask for something like 3 million a year, i know that i CAN make more money than kwame, i just chose not to.

let your game speak, not your bank account

y not both?

oshea225
11-01-2008, 07:14 PM
y not both?

the way i see it, all i need is just enough money to live comfortably. i dont need tens of millions of dollars to be happy.

Hawkeye15
11-01-2008, 07:19 PM
THis is a good thread. We all think we would be grateful, and classy. Problem is, say you are a 25 year old man, with a wife and kid, and you know you are only going to play for another 7-10 years. You didn't finish college, and will have been out of the real world job market until you are 35. You need to make as much as possible so you don't have to ever work again. Now, that being said, I like what Al Jefferson said, "I am not a max player". He took a 5 year, $60 million contract. That gives him an option to get a new deal at 28 years old. I would hope I was that kind of guy, and you can't get mad at guys wanting huge money. THey have agents kissing their butts telling them they deserve it, and know that they will not have to work after the age of 35.

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-01-2008, 08:05 PM
me. in all seriousness, if i had kobe bryant like talent, i wouldnt ask for anything more than 3 million a year. what the hell do people like kobe need 20+ million dollars for? plus, this way it gives my team a lot of money to sign another big time talent, helping me win. i live luxuriously enough that im comfortbale with my 3 mill a year, have at least 1 other great player to help my team. i dont need diamonds, 5 cars, 50 inch tv's, all those kind of perks.

3 million???? Come on. After taxes its about $1.7 million. You cant even buy a decent sized house for that where I live. You would soon change your mind once you see what everyone else is getting.

Also, you may think you are being unselfish for taking so little money, but in reality, you are being very selfish. You are just thinking about you and your cost of living. What about your family? Keep in mind the best you could do is get a fat contract for 10 out of the 15 years that you play. (if your lucky) Then what? You have to make that money last for the rest of your life.

Plus, why give billionaires a break? They are still going to charge top dollar for people to come to see you play. If they are paying you so little, they are just going to pocket the money. And if you get seriously hurt, they are not going to keep giving you money. You are going to have to make that 1.7 million last you and your families remaining years.

I would say give me what other player my caliber are making. Maybe taking a little less to help with cap flexibility. But not to the point where I'm getting robbed. Like Spreewell said, my kids gotta eat!

lakers4sho
11-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Humans are naturally greedy in nature...

Wilson
11-01-2008, 08:31 PM
I'd like to say that I'd be humble and accept the minimum, but when someone is waving $20 million in your face, I'm sure your mindset changes a little bit. I dunno, I'd maybe ask for $10 - $15 million, and use a decent amount of it to build youth centers and stuff.

hdxstunts1
11-01-2008, 08:39 PM
I wouldn't be greedy but i wouldn't want like no money. I would go for a 10-20 million dollar range. I wouldn't want over $20 million because it looks like your greedy and what are you going to spend all that on. Now for years if i was young 6-7years at about 20mil a year. If i was 30+ i'd want 3-5years at 15mil. Stars today just seem too greedy.

LakerzDQ
11-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Humans are naturally greedy in nature...

exactly.

most of you saying "just give me 2-3 million", you wouldn't be saying that once you're a superstar.

right now, I feel like a few million dollars would be more than enough, for me to play in the NBA as a superstar. But I know that will NOT be the case once I enter the league.

NJrockPD
11-01-2008, 09:05 PM
You all realize its like me being the boss at your job and saying "hey your good at your job how much money do you want?" your going to say "the most your going to give me." Yeah there are players that want to win and will take less to give their team more cap space but they are few and far between.

Bottom line: If someone asks me how much money i want i'm going to ask them how much they have.

FortyDubs
11-01-2008, 09:13 PM
I'd be cool with 7 mil a year. But hey, if they offer me more, you best believe I'm accepting it.

Chronz
11-01-2008, 09:34 PM
A few million, I would be a bang for your buck type superstar because I care more about my basketball legacy than being able to own a jet.

number1nykfan25
11-01-2008, 09:50 PM
i was think of making a thread similar to this asking people if they would play in the NBA for minimum wage? Interesting topic athletes making more than teachers.

bigtony989
11-01-2008, 10:34 PM
wont lie it be top dollar would only give a home team discount to the raptors

cmellofan15
11-01-2008, 10:38 PM
F--- Championships!!! I wanna live the good life. Give me a MAXED out contract, dumb*** agent, and a team who gets a top 10 pick every year. Hell, if i'm a superstar I could put up 25, 7, 7, on a sucky team and there would be no complaints. It's all about business, I'd love to be on the Knicks and get overpaid! But if I played for a good team I'd take a paycut just so I can get the big bucks when my contracts up. I wouldn't take any long term deals and get stuck on a team for 5+ years...

MiamiHeat
11-01-2008, 10:40 PM
I would def. want some big bucks to be protected
I don't wanna get rob I want all the full protection
latest technology :cool:

Wilson
11-01-2008, 10:53 PM
F--- Championships!!! I wanna live the good life. Give me a MAXED out contract, dumb*** agent, and a team who gets a top 10 pick every year. Hell, if i'm a superstar I could put up 25, 7, 7, on a sucky team and there would be no complaints. It's all about business, I'd love to be on the Knicks and get overpaid! But if I played for a good team I'd take a paycut just so I can get the big bucks when my contracts up. I wouldn't take any long term deals and get stuck on a team for 5+ years...

If you want a maxed out contract, you want a smartass agent, not a dumb one lol.

cmellofan15
11-01-2008, 10:56 PM
If you want a maxed out contract, you want a smartass agent, not a dumb one lol.

Well maybe I should have said a money hungry agent lol

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-01-2008, 11:31 PM
90 Billion! :up:

OY!
11-01-2008, 11:45 PM
all of you are crazy. i would want a max with a 5 or 6 year deal. Why would i want that much money? With the economy going down and down and how NBA players do after they retire, (note Sprewell now a hobo) i would want as much money as i can get. I want to win, but man if i were a superstar, i would want what i am really worth man.

innovator
11-01-2008, 11:46 PM
talk to my agent

oshea225
11-01-2008, 11:48 PM
3 million???? Come on. After taxes its about $1.7 million. You cant even buy a decent sized house for that where I live. You would soon change your mind once you see what everyone else is getting.

Also, you may think you are being unselfish for taking so little money, but in reality, you are being very selfish. You are just thinking about you and your cost of living. What about your family? Keep in mind the best you could do is get a fat contract for 10 out of the 15 years that you play. (if your lucky) Then what? You have to make that money last for the rest of your life.

Plus, why give billionaires a break? They are still going to charge top dollar for people to come to see you play. If they are paying you so little, they are just going to pocket the money. And if you get seriously hurt, they are not going to keep giving you money. You are going to have to make that 1.7 million last you and your families remaining years.

I would say give me what other player my caliber are making. Maybe taking a little less to help with cap flexibility. But not to the point where I'm getting robbed. Like Spreewell said, my kids gotta eat!

my parents combined salary isnt more than 300k a year. idk exactly how much it is, but its less that 300k. theyve managed to raise 3 kids, one of which is in college for 35k a year, live in a pretty nice neighborhood, and pay for ten years of catholic education for the 3 of us. if they can do that with no more than 300k, im quite sure i can do the same with 1.7 million, especially considering i only plan on having 2 kids and sending them to public school.

innovator
11-01-2008, 11:56 PM
but anyones head will grow big if they become nba superstars so i dont believe that you guys wouldnt take more than 10 mil per year ifur superstars

oshea225
11-01-2008, 11:59 PM
but anyones head will grow big if they become nba superstars so i dont believe that you guys wouldnt take more than 10 mil per year ifur superstars

i guarantee you i wouldnt ask for any more than just enough to live comfortably

Hellcrooner
11-02-2008, 03:28 AM
Wich team?

How much to my teamates do?

If im playing for a crappy lottery pick i want the Max.

If im playign for a middle of the pack id agree to earn a bit less in order to leave the team capsapce to get some more help, but with the condition to make more money than guys tha tmake worst stats than me in teh tteam.

If im in a contender ill accept Mle.

If im in lakers ill agree a 1000 dollars a week after taxes contract.

Raidaz4Life
11-02-2008, 08:23 AM
I would be happy making as much as the Lakers would pay... probably in the range of 8-10 mil.

Mallpha
11-02-2008, 12:31 PM
3 years worth 12-15 mln

$ NyC $
11-02-2008, 12:39 PM
If you only make half...after taxes and what not i would ask for 6 mil a year for 5 years. 3 mil a year is more than enough 4 me..I'd keep 2 mil and give 1 mil 2 charity and my team could sign 2 big stars and we could win rings and make a legacy that money can't buy.

rapswin98
11-02-2008, 01:26 PM
half of the salary cap

IndyRealist
11-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Three words: No trade clause.

barreleffact
11-02-2008, 02:19 PM
my parents combined salary isnt more than 300k a year. idk exactly how much it is, but its less that 300k. theyve managed to raise 3 kids, one of which is in college for 35k a year, live in a pretty nice neighborhood, and pay for ten years of catholic education for the 3 of us. if they can do that with no more than 300k, im quite sure i can do the same with 1.7 million, especially considering i only plan on having 2 kids and sending them to public school.

but see, ur thinking of it from a 2 worker( although great pay for regualr people) perspective. however, you have to think of teh lifestyle changes. you'll have to have the best chlothes because of your image, legit cars, mansion, everything that goes with the lifestyle. when you have a lot, generaly you'll spend a lot more than you;d think because money isnt an object. plus, you'll spoil your wife and kids and entire close family and friends a lot more. there a big difference in having comfortable money(ur parents) and having wtf??? lemme wife my *** with this ben franklin money. plus, the comparisons that you are the star, your teams franchise, yet others on teh team are making more money, and in some cases many multiples of what you make? just doesnt seem right, and you are definately not getting your self value which is the worst thing you can ever do. never settle for less than you deserve

_Supreme_
11-02-2008, 02:25 PM
If it isn't more than $15M a year I'd rather stick to my current job :cool:

Ragan
11-02-2008, 03:30 PM
$50 mil a year, tax free, paid in Euros please.

theuuord
11-02-2008, 03:44 PM
max contract. no question.

theuuord
11-02-2008, 03:45 PM
lol @ anyone taking less than the max.

if you really don't want the money, take it and just donate it to charitable foundations. don't keep in in the owner's pockets, they don't need it, and they sure as hell aren't donating it to anyone.

dgo24
11-03-2008, 01:10 AM
As long as I play for the Lakers I dont care.

iluvsports2much
11-03-2008, 01:35 AM
As long as I play for the Lakers I dont care.

amen brother...i also wouldnt mind gettin a chance ta sleep wit any laker girl:jumpy:

SportsManiacSJ
11-03-2008, 01:51 AM

same here...i better get paid the max esp. durin an economy like this!

JayW_1023
11-03-2008, 08:33 AM
I would sacrifice something to the degree so that the team can sign more good pieces.

MTar786
11-03-2008, 08:18 PM
if i was playing for the Lakers i'd want a 7 year contract starting off at 13mil a season with a 10% raise every year.. i know its not the most money for an elite type player but id do it for these two reasons.. so i have as many player options, a no trade clause cuz im from LA n dont wanna leave and my team will have tons of cap to sign geat players to help me win it all n build a dynasty. plus i have stabiltiy