PDA

View Full Version : If Maggs is traded.....

hoog
10-31-2008, 12:29 PM
First off, I'd be a tad upset as I like what he's done here and how he's played here BUT if he is to be traded it has to be to the Rays. The rumor mill already has them as a candidate for Maggs and they have tons of pitching and prospects. In fact the deal I'd look for goes something like this:

Maggs and another player (Robertson/Rodney)
for
Jeff Niemann, P, a big guy (6'9") that is just getting use to his body and power. He's not a huge strike out guy but he has that potential. He could also be a bullpen guy at first like Jon Rauch only better.

John Jaso, C, A power hitter that gets almost double the walks to strike outs. Witn Navarro there he's blocked and would be the starter if he came here. His on base is great but I have not read how his defensive game is though.

Willy Aybar, UT, A guy without a position in TB but could compete for the RF or 3B job here in Detroit. Has power and decent average. Has been in the league a while but is still somewhat young. Upgrade from Rayburn and the others. Has even played some short and second.

In this deal we get low salaries to go out and get some bullpen help but yet we still get three ready for the major's players. Let Niemann compete for the fifth starter spot and then go to the pen if need be, Jaso is your starting catcher from the get go, and Aybar gets a shot at a number of positions and if he doesn't start then he's a very good bat off the bench.

What do you guys think?

Bondomania
10-31-2008, 01:05 PM
not a bad idea.. i like the players in the trade, i might switch out Niemann for Jeremy Hellickson, younger and more of a strike out pitcher.. i also think he is ranked higher as a prospect.. or i like the idea of trading to atlanta for Jordan Schaefer and other prospects

mark1125
10-31-2008, 05:29 PM
First off, I'd be a tad upset as I like what he's done here and how he's played here BUT if he is to be traded it has to be to the Rays. The rumor mill already has them as a candidate for Maggs and they have tons of pitching and prospects. In fact the deal I'd look for goes something like this:

Maggs and another player (Robertson/Rodney)
for
Jeff Niemann, P, a big guy (6'9") that is just getting use to his body and power. He's not a huge strike out guy but he has that potential. He could also be a bullpen guy at first like Jon Rauch only better.

John Jaso, C, A power hitter that gets almost double the walks to strike outs. Witn Navarro there he's blocked and would be the starter if he came here. His on base is great but I have not read how his defensive game is though.

Willy Aybar, UT, A guy without a position in TB but could compete for the RF or 3B job here in Detroit. Has power and decent average. Has been in the league a while but is still somewhat young. Upgrade from Rayburn and the others. Has even played some short and second.

In this deal we get low salaries to go out and get some bullpen help but yet we still get three ready for the major's players. Let Niemann compete for the fifth starter spot and then go to the pen if need be, Jaso is your starting catcher from the get go, and Aybar gets a shot at a number of positions and if he doesn't start then he's a very good bat off the bench.

What do you guys think?

I don't like it a lot. I like the prospect of getting Jaso, but Aybar is not an everyday player and I am not sold on Neimann. I think they should keep Maggs unless the deal involves a major league ready player and at least one top porspect.

Epic89
11-01-2008, 08:56 PM
If the Tigers trade Ordonez, I will never support them again. A World Series win already feels empty without Pudge, The Gambler, The Mayor, and C-Mo. Without Maggs, its pointless.

You're not committed to winning a championship if you trade your best player- bottom line

Jon93405
11-02-2008, 02:49 AM
Magglio to the Braves makes a lot of sense.

There has been some talk on our end of trading Rafael Soriano. He had some weird injury problems though. However, we have a ton of prospects available to trade and the Braves are in the market for a LFer.

mark1125
11-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Magglio to the Braves makes a lot of sense.

There has been some talk on our end of trading Rafael Soriano. He had some weird injury problems though. However, we have a ton of prospects available to trade and the Braves are in the market for a LFer.

I agree with Epic that I would not be happy if he is dealt. However, if there is a deal that addresses an immediate needd AND provides us with a top prospect or two, I would be willing to listen. As for the Braves, Soriano doesn't excite me based off his health, but I would take him, Escobar, and a top prospect.

JackB
11-02-2008, 12:30 PM
I agree with Epic that I would not be happy if he is dealt. However, if there is a deal that addresses an immediate needd AND provides us with a top prospect or two, I would be willing to listen. As for the Braves, Soriano doesn't excite me based off his health, but I would take him, Escobar, and a top prospect.

I agree with this. Don't forget up until last year they were saying the same thing about Ordonez as far as health issues.Soriano is a great top of the order guy and can help on the bases. But I doubt the Braves would do a deal like this.

Bondomania
11-02-2008, 03:12 PM
epic, a lot of those players are past their prime and wouldn't help win a championship.. we took a lot of teams by surprise that year, and got a lot of prospects that all developed and contributed at the same time.. Maggs is on the downside of his career.. is he still good? yeah, but he isn't the best player on the team.. miggy and granderson are both better than maggs now.. free agency and trades happen, oh well, if we get a ridiculous package and it helps the team then i say do it.. we can't keep looking at some of these guys as if they are in their prime still.. the team is getting old in a hurry and we need an infusion of youth and speed

Itztheshiznt
11-02-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm actually hoping the Phillies try and peruse Maggs this offseason. With Burrell almost certainly gone and the Phillies having to fill his spot with a RH OF bat, I personally think Maggs would be a prefect replacement. Both have a good amount of pop and more then quality OPS%.

braveMania
11-02-2008, 07:23 PM
just an honest statement here...the braves will not be trading escobar for a 35 year old outfielder.. if he goes anywhere it will be for peavy..schafer could go along with a couple other prospects but no big names for maggs.

smarkow
11-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Do not trade him. Period.

Jon93405
11-03-2008, 05:36 AM
I agree with this. Don't forget up until last year they were saying the same thing about Ordonez as far as health issues.Soriano is a great top of the order guy and can help on the bases. But I doubt the Braves would do a deal like this.

Do you mean Escobar?

However, you're right, the Braves wouldn't trade him for Maggs straight up... much less adding Soriano and a top prospect. We'd rather keep our 25 year old shortstop.

The Braves could offer prospects, but if you're looking to win next season, they might not match up well unless you'd want young SP's like Morton and Jo-Jo, but they would be best off on a rebuilding team who could just let them go out and throw.

Matt Diaz and Brandon Jones are MLB OFers who don't fit in the Braves '09 plan and will be very cheap.

Brent Lillibridge is a AAA SS prospect with a lot of talent. His defense is MLB ready and he has 50 SB potential but he had a setback offensively in his first season at AAA. He is a great SS of the future candidate though as early as this season.

Tyler Flowers is a catcher prospect with great power and ridiculous plate discipline and is quickly launching himself into a mega prospect due to his AFL performance so far. (.419/.510/1.023... 43 AB/6 HR/2 3B/4 2B/8 BB)

I think the Braves will try to sign Pat Burrell first though, since he's younger and would make about the same amount of money, however if that doesn't work out I could see a trade happening involving Diaz, Lillibridge and Flowers.

hoog
11-03-2008, 09:07 AM
I'm not sure that I like any Atlanta deal (short of getting Jurjenns back) but I could live with a Philly's deal of:

Ryan Madson- Veteran relief guy who could help our pen right away and also be an emergency starter if need be. Not sure if he has closer possiblity but could be a nice little set-up guy.

Lou Marson- A double A catcher who is close to being MLB ready. Could be used with Dusty Ryan to solidify our catching for a long time.

Carlos Carrasco- Young starter (21) who is already at double A ball and is doing well. Could actually be a bullpen guy and eventual closer or could stay as a starter and fill in next years rotation. Either way he'd be a very good addition.

Again, I am not in favor of trading Maggs but if we do I wouldn't mind this Philly deal.

Bondomania
11-03-2008, 10:52 AM
good luck getting Madison in a deal.. the dude was sick in the playoffs and key part to the philly bullpen

Itztheshiznt
11-03-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm not sure that I like any Atlanta deal (short of getting Jurjenns back) but I could live with a Philly's deal of:

Ryan Madson- Veteran relief guy who could help our pen right away and also be an emergency starter if need be. Not sure if he has closer possiblity but could be a nice little set-up guy.

Lou Marson- A double A catcher who is close to being MLB ready. Could be used with Dusty Ryan to solidify our catching for a long time.

Carlos Carrasco- Young starter (21) who is already at double A ball and is doing well. Could actually be a bullpen guy and eventual closer or could stay as a starter and fill in next years rotation. Either way he'd be a very good addition.

Again, I am not in favor of trading Maggs but if we do I wouldn't mind this Philly deal.

It's highly unlikely you'd get a deal like this from us.
Madson is our "Bridge-to-Lidge" and it's highly unlikely he'd go anywhere because losing Madson would leave a gapping hole in our 8th inning spot.
Marson on the other hand, is my favorite Phillies spec. If the Phillies weren't gonna part with Carrasco+Marson+Other spec, for Holliday, I highly doubt that we'd do anything remotely close to this for an OF'r a tier below him.

I'm sure if any deal were to happen between these two teams concerning Maggz, the centerpiece to this deal would be Kyle Kendrick or J.A. Happ.

JMDTM
11-03-2008, 04:20 PM
no i love maggs