PDA

View Full Version : Oden and Bynum contract Question

Gibby23
10-31-2008, 10:17 AM
Since a lot of people are saying AB got too much money too fast, I have a question.

Knowing what we know of Oden, If he were a free agent right now, would you be happy if your favorite team gave him a contract for 4 years $58 million?

ugottabjoshinme
10-31-2008, 10:58 AM
well considering he has played 13 minutes of NBA basketball, 4 years 58 million is a little high. I think the rookie contract is about right for him right now

kobe24>jordan23
10-31-2008, 11:12 AM
no he hasn't even played a single game yet

cubulls
10-31-2008, 11:17 AM
$58 mil for Mr. Glass? Hell no. Kwame Brown is more valuable than that old fart.

GregOden#1
10-31-2008, 11:50 AM
He'd take a min contract until Portland uses its FA money this year.

JordansBulls
10-31-2008, 11:57 AM
No player should get that much until they are a proven allstar player.

lakersrock
10-31-2008, 12:03 PM
If my team gave him that kinda money, I'd be po'd. It's clear he isn't gonna stay healthy and he clearly needs to work on offense...everything outside of a dunk. Bynum earned his money. He has stayed healthy (outside landing on someone's foot) and has shown he can dominate on both ends of the floor. Oden has done neither.

Gibby23
10-31-2008, 01:25 PM
If my team gave him that kinda money, I'd be po'd. It's clear he isn't gonna stay healthy and he clearly needs to work on offense...everything outside of a dunk. Bynum earned his money. He has stayed healthy (outside landing on someone's foot) and has shown he can dominate on both ends of the floor. Oden has done neither.

Im a Bynum fan, but he hasn't stayed healthy, that was his second knee operation in 5 years. He had about 17 good games out of 35 last year.

dgo24
10-31-2008, 04:07 PM
He has not played one whole game so I would not.

king4day
10-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Right now no.
But no one woulda touched Bynum in his first two seasons either.

DODGERS&LAKERS
10-31-2008, 04:21 PM
Right now no.
But no one woulda touched Bynum in his first two seasons either.

Very true. But I would like to see him play at least 40 games at a high level and see if he has the talent to be at least a top 7 or 8 center in the league.

MiamiHeat
10-31-2008, 04:23 PM
No

king4day
10-31-2008, 04:35 PM
Very true. But I would like to see him play at least 40 games at a high level and see if he has the talent to be at least a top 7 or 8 center in the league.

It's a little more unfair to Oden right now. Bynum was able to watch for a couple of seasons and learn. He wasn't brought in to be their savior right away.
Oden had big things expected of him right away (with reason). So yea, I still think he'll be something but he needs to play games to learn and he hasn't done it yet.

DODGERS&LAKERS
10-31-2008, 04:42 PM
No player should get that much until they are a proven allstar player.

I know you are a bulls fan, and maybe you like the way they conduct business. But what worked 15 years ago will not work now a days. I know MJ was severely underpaid for pretty much his whole career. As was Pippen until he left the Bulls. But teams can not operate that way anymore. No superstar will max out at $4 million for his first 12 seasons like Jordan did. He finally got a payday and made that 30 and 33 million dollar contracts, but now a days, you need to pay to be able to purchase or retain talent. If the Blazers dont pay Oden big money, another team will. We may not agree on how much money these guys make, but if they can get it from multiple teams, I guess that is the going market.

Is is fair Luol Deng is going to make $82,000,000 over his first 10 years of his career once this 6 year deal expires? Is it fair he is going to make more money than Jordan who only made around $21,000,000 over his first 10 years. Shoot, we can even look over Jordans first 12 years in the league where he made a total of $28,462,500. Teams can not cheat their players out of money like that anymore. Maybe you and the Bulls owner still want it to be that way, cause everyone knows he does not like to hand out money, but now a days, you have to put up the cash to be competitive.

The Bulls team that went 72-10 entire payroll was $25,914,000. Compared to this years Grizzlies team who's payroll is $44 million. So is Greg Oden or Bynum worth what they are getting now? If it was 1995 and they were playing for the Bulls, no. But its 2008 and players get paid now.

bleedprple&gold
10-31-2008, 04:43 PM
No, and is there even any doubt? We've seen a whopping 13 minutes of regular season basketball from him so we really have no idea how he can perform on the nba level yet and considering how injury prone he appears to be makes it an absolutely hell no...

Gibby23
10-31-2008, 04:47 PM
So, you guys are saying that if he was a free agent today that no team would offer him $58 million over 4 years?

bleedprple&gold
10-31-2008, 05:13 PM
So, you guys are saying that if he was a free agent today that no team would offer him $58 million over 4 years?

Yes, that is exactly what we're saying...

barreleffact
10-31-2008, 05:19 PM

I think the biggest reason they signed Bynum sooner rather than later is Kobe. It had little to do with Bynum himself. Kobe can opt out at seasons end and do whatever he pleases. Having Bynum locked up now instead of letting him shop around and matching an opposing teams offer will give Kobe more reasons to resign after he opts out.

EddieB
11-01-2008, 02:00 AM
Bynum at least showed some of his skills on the court, Oden hasn't even finished 1 game in 2 years no

JJ81
11-01-2008, 05:22 AM
Maybe if he stopped breaking his legs and started playing basketball.

ARMIN12NBA
11-01-2008, 02:09 PM
I know you are a bulls fan, and maybe you like the way they conduct business. But what worked 15 years ago will not work now a days. I know MJ was severely underpaid for pretty much his whole career. As was Pippen until he left the Bulls. But teams can not operate that way anymore. No superstar will max out at $4 million for his first 12 seasons like Jordan did. He finally got a payday and made that 30 and 33 million dollar contracts, but now a days, you need to pay to be able to purchase or retain talent. If the Blazers dont pay Oden big money, another team will. We may not agree on how much money these guys make, but if they can get it from multiple teams, I guess that is the going market.

Is is fair Luol Deng is going to make $82,000,000 over his first 10 years of his career once this 6 year deal expires? Is it fair he is going to make more money than Jordan who only made around $21,000,000 over his first 10 years. Shoot, we can even look over Jordans first 12 years in the league where he made a total of $28,462,500. Teams can not cheat their players out of money like that anymore. Maybe you and the Bulls owner still want it to be that way, cause everyone knows he does not like to hand out money, but now a days, you have to put up the cash to be competitive.

The Bulls team that went 72-10 entire payroll was $25,914,000. Compared to this years Grizzlies team who's payroll is $44 million. So is Greg Oden or Bynum worth what they are getting now? If it was 1995 and they were playing for the Bulls, no. But its 2008 and players get paid now.

Very well written. I agree. The market dictates what the players get and centers are very rare in this league so they will get more money. Heck, Bynum is getting paid less than Bogut so I like the deal.

BTW--No way I give Oden that contract! He has not even played a half of NBA basketball game yet. At least Bynum had a good season and then a great half of a season where he proved he could dominate any center in the league.

oshea225
11-01-2008, 02:15 PM
58 MILLION dollars for someone who has played 13 minutes of basketball? think i'll pass.

valade16
11-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Well after seeing what oden has done in only 6 games I think it's safe to say he deserves more than the veteran minimum...

If I had to pick a player to sign between Oden or Bynum (even for 58 Mil) I'm taking Oden, dude is a beast already.

Just like everyone said he'd be since the beginning of High school... Oh well, you guys who saw his highlights from Ohio State and the fact he was injured must be infinitely smarter than the hundreds of scouts who have deemed Oden a rare center talent capable of dominating...

Lakers4ItAll
11-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Not yet...

valade16
11-22-2008, 05:15 AM
So your saying that you KNOW that EVENTUALLY he will be worth $58 mil (and most likely a LOT more) yet you wouldn't sign him and allow his talents and eventual dominance to go to another team because you don't feel he is worth the money YET?

Or, transport yourself back in time to Kobes second year, what if he asked for a similar contract? Would you have said No because he wasn't worth it yet? You'd have missed out on his decade of brilliance...

That's why that theory will shoot you in the foot more often than not...