PDA

View Full Version : I say we jump in the pool with Freddy!

hoog
10-31-2008, 08:23 AM
You know, I've been pondering this Freddy Garcia signing and I guess there are a few things I'm very good with in signing him. One, he's only 33 years old (which is young in comparison to alot of MLB pitchers) and next year will be his second since surgery which is usually the year the arm improves. Two, he really didn't do all that bad when he pitched at the end of the year. In fact, that last game before the neck deal he was doing quite well. Three, his strike to walk ratio is always pretty decent which is what the new pitching coach will stress. He gives up alot of homers, though, which really won't come into play too much at Comerica Park. Finally, he is a Venezualian which fits the clubhouse. I think as a "back of the rotation guy" Garcia might just suprise people.

Verlander
Bonderman
Galaragga
Garcia
Willis/Miner

If healthy and pitching like they have in the past that would really scare teams. BUT, looking at their last year stats, other teams may just laugh. Me, I'd leave the starting pitching alone for the most part and let Garcia, Willis, Miner, and Robetson battle it out for the fourth and fifth spots and the loosing two go to the pen. In my mind, I really think Nate would make a good setup lefty and Miner a good long reliever but still let them in the frey for the starters slot first. Then, I'd put most of my money on two bullpen spots. Just my thoughts anyway.

Epic89
10-31-2008, 09:10 AM
I want them to bring back Garcia as well; I think he could have an '06 Kenny Rogers type impact.

If I had my way though, Derek Lowe would be in Tigerstripes next year- he's played his way out of the Tigers' price range.

Detroit70
10-31-2008, 10:47 AM
Lowe would be a great fit if we could sign him. A low ball pitcher in that size of ballpark would be nice. As for Freddy its a tough call with his injury run.

mark1125
10-31-2008, 05:30 PM
I like Lowe if the price is OK. Garcia would be welcome back too if cheap.

JackB
10-31-2008, 08:18 PM
I say we our chances of signing Lowe are slim to none and slim left town. Unless we throw an ungodly amount at him we don't stand a chance. I don't care if he is from Michigan. Its all about the money and a team that will contend.
I can't wait to see all of the posts if garcia bombs next year if he is signed. We need to get younger not older. Yes he's only 33 but his best days are behind him. I would rather give a young starter a chance to develop. Take his bumps and bruises and build for the future. We won't contend next season . I'm not saying we won't put up a good fight but the division is tough and there are really too many teams to jump over .And thats not counting the East and the West. If he were 30-31 I would say go for it. But at this point we don't really need him.

DamusFucious777
11-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Something is wrong regarding Garcia. Freddy needed to remove any Doubting Thomases concerinng his last outing where he left the game prematurely and injured -- then voluntarily pitch some innings in the Arizona Fall League to erase any doubts that his old injury may need more mending time.

The Tigers exclusive negotiating rights go out the window Thursday Nov 13th -- that''s the deadline date. I have a sneaky suspicion Freddy used the Tigers for exposure -- now wants to play elsewhere in 2009.

So be it Garcia. Thanks for the brief memory and the small glimpse of hope that we could include you for our 2009 rotation.

JackB
11-11-2008, 10:32 PM
No big loss. Probably end up on the DL before long anyway. We need to get younger not older.

Bondomania
11-12-2008, 11:08 AM
exactly.. Miner didn't pitch poorly, and i like placing him in the Number 5 spot.. that would leave one spot between Willis/Robertson and maybe Garcia, but whatev.. Garcia is alright, but i think he is more suited for the NL. My pitching rotation looks like this:

Verlander
Bonderman
Galarraga
Willis
Miner

Not a bad rotation assuming Verlander and Bonderman get back on track.. Galarraga can repeat what he did this last year... Willis can find the strike zone... and Miner just continues from his performance last year

Bondomania
11-12-2008, 11:11 AM
oh yeah, and let me add... i think that our most pressing needs are the BP.. we need BP help badly especially in the 7th/8th/9th inning roles. There are reports that we are interested in Brandon Lyon, not bad assuming his second half woes are something of the past. I also like Juan Cruz, i say we go after both former D-Backs, and that would significantly improve the BP. Or maybe we can swing a deal with the Mariners and we can get Putz

redwings1
11-12-2008, 03:44 PM
yeah putz would be a pretty good closer for us and i really hope that we resign Freddy

smarkow
11-13-2008, 09:31 PM
I think we should go after Putz, just so that when he Fu**s up we can say, "man what a Putz!"

JackB
11-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Free agent Freddy Garcia came out of his Venezuelan Winter League start Thursday with a shoulder problem after throwing two innings.

The hope is that it was merely a muscle spasm. Garcia was making his second start of the winter. He allowed two runs in five innings his first time out and two more runs before departing last night.
Source: Meridiano.com.ve

Just what we need. Another bum that lands on the DL most of the season. I say let somebody else have the worries.