PDA

View Full Version : Astros promote Bobby Heck to Asst. GM

native_astro
10-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Astros general manager Ed Wade promoted scouting director Bobby Heck to assistant general manager on Thursday while also extending the contracts of assistant GMs David Gottfried and Ricky Bennett through 2010.

Gottfried’s title was changed to assistant GM for player relations.

Bennett and Gottfried had interviews in 2007 for the vacant GM job that Wade landed, and Wade has credited them for helping him this year. Heck was one of Wade’s first major hires after he took the job and said the acquisition of his scouting director at the time perhaps the Astros’ most important signing of last winter.

"First of all, ever since the day I got here Ricky and David have been tremendous assets," Wade said. "They’re very knowledgeable in their areas. And the work Bobby’s done since he got here has been tremendous."

Bennett just finished his fourth season as assistant GM, and Gottfried just finished his 10th season overall in the franchise’s baseball operations.

Heck, who began his career in scouting after finishing his minor-league career, joined the Astros last year from the Milwaukee Brewers.

"I view the job Bobby does as a co-equal with Ricky and David in the importance of what he does," Wade said. "It made sense to put him on equal footing. I thought if we can clearly recognize his status and stature in the organization it makes sense to do that."

Heck said he was honored with the promotion.

"I’m ecstatic," Heck said. "The commitment from the club and the environment here and the people I work with, I couldn’t be more excited."

source: Houston Chronicle
link: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/6086768.html

Jermster
10-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Is Bobby Heck still gonna be the Astros scouting director?

native_astro
10-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Is Bobby Heck still gonna be the Astros scouting director?

Yeah. The Astros have three Asst. GM's which all have a sub title. Heck's title is Asst. GM - Scouting director.