PDA

View Full Version : Lakers, Bynum reaches 4yr, 58 million deal

fairandbalanced
10-30-2008, 01:42 PM
The Los Angeles Lakers have reached a four-year contract extension with center Andrew Bynum worth about $58 million, the Los Angeles Times reported, citing sources familiar with the negotiations.

Good signing?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3673083

fairandbalanced
10-30-2008, 01:43 PM
I personally think he is worth it plus some. The dude is a stud and can easily be the best player on court any given night.

superkegger
10-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Sounds about right...probably a little overpaid for now, but I think he's worth it, especially in a market like LA where being in the luxury tax isn't the biggest deal in the world.

Raidaz4Life
10-30-2008, 02:00 PM
He's a tad bit overpaid but with the lack of quality centers and the fact he's only 21 it will pay off in the long run

JordansBulls
10-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Seriously overpaid. It's his 3rd year in the league. First year he was not that good. Last year he played less than half a year and all of a sudden he gets a contract worth $14.5 million?

That's terrible. He should only get maybe $2 million and the other 12.5 million should go to former players like Magic or Bird who were underpaid their entire careers.

leftymo
10-30-2008, 02:09 PM
WOW. I am shocked that LA made this signing, but in reality it probably SAVED LA money in the long term. Because we know some teams would've thrown max type deals next offseason which LA would've matched.

In terms of is he worth it or not? Well, based on his current production hell no. But he's clearly one of the top five centers in the NBA already and more importantly, just look at the ridiculous contracts subpar bigmen like Curry or the center in Dallas get. And when you consider that, then Bynum absolutely is worth the money. Just gotta hope he doesn't become lazy now that he's rich.

(kwame brown was making 8 million/year for his early 20's contract, and i think bynum deserves more than that!)

leftymo
10-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Ok, that secures our franchise center for the dynasty run. Now the bigger question. Will LO take a paycut or get traded? Or will kobe opt out for europe? Tough decisions in lakerland when you have overwhelming talent that will eventually require payment. Farmar takes the stage next year at this time.

G-Funk
10-30-2008, 02:16 PM
WOW. I am shocked that LA made this signing, but in reality it probably SAVED LA money in the long term. Because we know some teams would've thrown max type deals next offseason which LA would've matched.

EXACTLY!

Teams like the Thunder, Bobcats, Grizzlies would have forced the team to offer him way more. so it's a good signing

SDBearsFan
10-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Seriously overpaid. It's his 3rd year in the league. First year he was not that good. Last year he played less than half a year and all of a sudden he gets a contract worth $14.5 million?

That's terrible. He should only get maybe $2 million and the other 12.5 million should go to former players like Magic or Bird who were underpaid their entire careers.
:cheers:

Definitely overpaid at this point.

SDBearsFan
10-30-2008, 02:21 PM
EXACTLY!

Teams like the Thunder, Bobcats, Grizzlies would have forced the team to offer him way more. so it's a good signing

Wow, the Thunder, Bobcats, and Grilzzlies. Sounds like a premier place to spend your entire career after he signs that long term contract. :eyebrow:

S.J.Basketball
10-30-2008, 02:57 PM

Seriously? Hater. Way to go off topic.

l GeArs l
10-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Wow, the Thunder, Bobcats, and Grilzzlies. Sounds like a premier place to spend your entire career after he signs that long term contract. :eyebrow:

Hey money talks. :rolleyes:

NYKnickFanatic
10-30-2008, 03:14 PM
Right now, I think they overpaid.
It would suck if he goes down with an injury.

LAKERMANIA
10-30-2008, 03:21 PM
He should only get maybe $2 million and the other 12.5 million should go to former players like Magic or Bird who were underpaid their entire careers.

2 Million is severely underpaid..

and Can I ask what the **** that statement has to do with anything? :laugh:

THE_FLASH_21
10-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Too much money on a guy that hasn't done ****!!! But w/e the Lakers like that much, then pay him..

SwaggaIke
10-30-2008, 03:48 PM
What a lot of you don't seem to understand is that this is an INVESTMENT. He'll earn that money plus more. Deng didn't earn the money he was given, Iguodala hasn't earned the money he was given...but they will. Bynum will be a stud and its obvious.

Hawkeye15
10-30-2008, 04:25 PM
with every singing that goes on over the past year, I am loving Al Jefferson's 5 year, $60 million deal. He is better than any of the guys who have been signed this offseason, and has one of the least expensive contracts

Kabowdos
10-30-2008, 04:56 PM

I agree. How come the Lakers couldn't get at least 5 years out of 58 milion... I mean really. Four years is not that long. That is crazy. Lakers over pay their entire team.

Kabowdos
10-30-2008, 04:56 PM
with every singing that goes on over the past year, I am loving Al Jefferson's 5 year, $60 million deal. He is better than any of the guys who have been signed this offseason, and has one of the least expensive contracts

He is not better than anyone signed this off season but he is great.

PHX-SOXFAN
10-30-2008, 04:58 PM

I would have waited to see if he could make it through an entire season without rolling on the ground crying and holding his knee first

DreamShaker
10-30-2008, 05:06 PM

It's a reference to how great players of olden years didn't come close to what Andrew Bynum is getting now....you don't have to actually accomplish anything to make big money anymore....

DreamShaker
10-30-2008, 05:09 PM
What a lot of you don't seem to understand is that this is an INVESTMENT. He'll earn that money plus more. Deng didn't earn the money he was given, Iguodala hasn't earned the money he was given...but they will. Bynum will be a stud and its obvious.

That's what they said about alot of guys....this is a guy who has not played one single productive season and looked terrible last night....so he earns 8 figures???

cmellofan15
10-30-2008, 05:11 PM
It's a reference to how great players of olden years didn't come close to what Andrew Bynum is getting now....you don't have to actually accomplish anything to make big money anymore....

Yea. ie: Monta Ellis. Bynum could break his leg not play for the rest of the season and Laker's fans wouldn't care, but he can still make it rain with 14 mill a year.

Teeboy1487
10-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Good signing to me and Bynum had a solid game last night dreamshaker. What game you were watching?http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/blackeye/lol.gif

Antbanks21
10-30-2008, 05:30 PM

he is improving every year and anyone can see that with Bynum's size in the lineup, the Lakers have a chance to become the next dynasty. so no he isn't getting overpaid.

cmellofan15
10-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Good signing to me and Bynum had a solid game last night dreamshaker. What game you were watching?http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/blackeye/lol.gif

What????

Afridi786
10-30-2008, 05:49 PM

Still too early. At least those guys played a few solid years.

laker1000
10-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Good signing IMO.

iluvsports2much
10-30-2008, 06:02 PM
What????

he said he had a solid game,which he did...12 points 9 boards and i think 3 or 4 blocks in limited mins is pretty good for a young center i think..:moon:

marlinsfan24
10-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Overpaid. wow

BTownTeamsRKing
10-30-2008, 06:11 PM
lakers fans are the only sports fans who think their team is a dynasty without winning a champion with their current set of players first. Bynum is good, no doubt, but 14.5 mil a yr is a lot and this guy has already had one terrible injury.

ttam68
10-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Obviously in a hypothetical ideal world, he doesn't "deserve" this much money. But, we all know that if he was a free agent next year teams would offer him max deals. Its supply and demand. Lakers were smart for locking him up now.

Granted he could be injured, or average 8 pts and 8 rebs, but he could just as easily play 82 games and get 20 pts and 12 rebs. Good move to lock him up and not have to worry about the distraction or max deals next year.

GspLAL
10-30-2008, 06:19 PM
I would have waited to see if he could make it through an entire season without rolling on the ground crying and holding his knee first

Youre thinking of paul pierce.

Afridi786
10-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Obviously in a hypothetical ideal world, he doesn't "deserve" this much money. But, we all know that if he was a free agent next year teams would offer him max deals. Its supply and demand. Lakers were smart for locking him up now.

Next year, teams would know exactly what they were getting, and if Bynum could sustain his production throughout an entire season.

GspLAL
10-30-2008, 06:24 PM
send me a message if you want some connections for a good eye doctor

BTownTeamsRKing
10-30-2008, 06:25 PM
^random wtf?

Leftcoast_yg
10-30-2008, 06:29 PM

:laugh2: thats gotta be my new sig

lakers4sho
10-30-2008, 06:38 PM

:laugh2:

Good one.

x_notorious
10-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Overpaid? Of course. Just like any other upcoming center..

Bynum: 4 years and 58 Million
Bogut: 5 years and 60 million
Biedrins: 6 years and between 54-62 million (bases on incentives)

He doesn't deserve the money..yet, but do understand that the NBA is a business, and the Laker franchise just took a huge investment on Bynum. Will he pan out? Who knows, ask again in a couple of years. But he sure has looked promising in his short stint last season before the injury. And another thing, his agent was looking for a deal around 17 million, so yeah, looks a whole lot better then that.

LAKERMANIA
10-30-2008, 06:47 PM
still bitter? guess what? that hobbled man helped the Celtics beat your soft lakers.

Pierce was injured?

Hawkeye15
10-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Look, they overpaid him. But LA is way over the cap, and they can afford to be, because they make money. Better to overpay him then lose him as a restricted free agent. Does he deserve 14-15 a year? Hell no. But they can't just let him walk. I still am loving Al Jefferson's 5 year, 60 million deal with my Wolves with all that has gone on this summer.

Bruno
10-30-2008, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE=JordansBulls;7165060]Seriously overpaid. It's his 3rd year in the league. First year he was not that good. Last year he played less than half a year and all of a sudden he gets a contract worth $14.5 million?

This is his 4th year in the league. JB, you know the Bulls would offer him him that much in a second next off season if they could. Hes not worth it right now, but he will be, this is an investment.

Beno7500
10-30-2008, 07:33 PM
14.5 mil a year for having 10 good games before an injury?????????!!!!!!

ttam68
10-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Next year, teams would know exactly what they were getting, and if Bynum could sustain his production throughout an entire season.

Yeah, and there's a good chance that with the assurance he's healthy for a full season and as successful as many think he will be that he'd be offered a max deal from another team.

So, why not secure him long-term now for a few million less?

JayW_1023
10-30-2008, 07:48 PM
These are deals made out of good faith...this is all-star money here. Bynum is solid and improving but he isn't an all-star yet.

SensandRaps
10-30-2008, 07:50 PM
right now a bit overpaid but in a year if bynum doesnt get injured it would be a steal

JayW_1023
10-30-2008, 07:52 PM
I would've gone for 10 million a year at max.

Westbrook36
10-30-2008, 07:54 PM

He doesn't deserve the money..yet, but do understand that the NBA is a business, and the Laker franchise just took a huge investment on Bynum. Will he pan out? Who knows, ask again in a couple of years. But he sure has looked promising in his short stint last season before the injury. And another thing, his agent was looking for a deal around 17 million, so yeah, looks a whole lot better then that.

If it was 5 Years 60 Million it would be better.

Beno7500
10-30-2008, 07:56 PM
I don't mind if they overpaid him at all. It is the Lakers money and it's their choice with what to do with it.

Beno7500
Also, where do they get all this money?

OY!
he might be a bit over-paid right now. but it will pay off so much in the end. this kid has a really good future.

Hawkeye15
10-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Also, where do they get all this money?

I am sure they have a very high paying network deal, they sell a ton of merchandise, Laker tickets probably cost a ton, they split an arena vs having to lease it outright with another team, not to mention all the activities that go on there, so they probably don't pay a lot for using Staples. They have huge sponsors, and they make the playoffs every single year, bringing in a lot of extra revenue that many teams don't see, because instead of 82 games a year, they play 85-100. Front row seats are in the mid $2,000 mark.

Beno7500
10-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Holy ****! 2,000 for a ticket??

Hawkeye15
10-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Holy ****! 2,000 for a ticket??

I would imagine single game tickets courtside are $2-3,000, for sure. I mean, you are shoulder to shoulder with Jack. Season tickets courtside are most likely around $55,000 if I had to guess. If there is a Laker fan who can enlighten us, please do so

Lakersfan2483
10-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Good signing, it's tough to find a "true" center, he has a lot of potential and will continue to get better, especially working under Kareem's guidance. LA had to sign this guy, he's our future.

Lakersfan2483
10-30-2008, 08:18 PM

Good post.

rhino17
10-30-2008, 08:30 PM
haha, what a joke!

ARMIN12NBA
10-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Right now, I think they overpaid.
It would suck if he goes down with an injury.

Here is the thing. This is a 3 year contract with a 4th year team option. If Bynum goes down with an injury then it doesn't hurt the Lakers financially because the Lakers can easily end his contract after the third year. It is a short contract.

How is he overpaid? It is an investment on a 20 year old double-double center. It is only 3 years. Some people have to understand that his agent was asking for 88 million... :cry: I know. This is somewhat of a discount because supposedly some teams like the Grizzlies and Sonics, who lack a center and have cap space, were going to spend their money on Bynum next year. I think the Lakers held their ground and didn't give in to the ridiculous demands and have made a solid investment that should pay off.

Squad13
10-30-2008, 08:50 PM
14.5 mil a year for having 10 good games before an injury?????????!!!!!!

A Kings fan that is for Mcain? :puke:

GspLAL
10-30-2008, 09:27 PM
:laugh2: thats gotta be my new sig

lol

GspLAL
10-30-2008, 09:30 PM
People need to understand that pure centers are not easy to find now a days, a lot of them want to play around the perimeter and so on, now I'm not saying he's worth 14 million yet, but I do think its worth overpaying a little to make sure we keep him, seeing as how he's a pure center who has shown a glimpse of what he can become.

cambovenzi
10-30-2008, 09:36 PM
absolutely great signing.
im glad they didnt have to pay him the max deal.
14M for one of the better and youngest centers in the league?
thats a bargain.

pete_one
10-30-2008, 11:36 PM
hes Overpaid for now, lets see how well he does, maybe all that cash will have him eatting at McDonalds more and he'll gain weight and lose his game.

hdxstunts1
10-31-2008, 12:04 AM
Too much for too little. He is still unproven. He could have a career ending injury! Plus he hasnt even shown consistancy. He fouls no matter what! I dont see why they pay him that much for a project!

bigmac8675
10-31-2008, 12:08 AM
Overpaid.... considering he is way overrated as of right now. We will see if he turns into what people think he is/could be.

ARMIN12NBA
10-31-2008, 12:10 AM
Too much for too little. He is still unproven. He could have a career ending injury! Plus he hasnt even shown consistancy. He fouls no matter what! I dont see why they pay him that much for a project!

Here is the thing. This is a 3 year contract with a 4th year team option. If Bynum goes down with an injury then it doesn't hurt the Lakers financially because the Lakers can easily end his contract after the third year. It is a short contract.

How is he overpaid? It is an investment on a 20 year old double-double center. It is only 3 years. Some people have to understand that his agent was asking for 88 million... :cry: I know. This is somewhat of a discount because supposedly some teams like the Grizzlies and Sonics, who lack a center and have cap space, were going to spend their money on Bynum next year (a lot more than 58 million...). I think the Lakers held their ground and didn't give in to the ridiculous demands and have made a solid investment that should pay off.

BTW--Any player can have a career ending injury...What is your point?

Also, Bynum is not a project. He is already one of the top centers in this league. His stats put him at the very least in the top 10 (15 and 11 as a starter) and his defensive presence makes him higher. True, in the 80's, him being a top center would be crazy, but there are barely any true centers in todays game. A big man is hard to find. Stephen A. Smith even said this was a bargain because a) he is a legit 7 foot 1 big man, b) he is a double-double guy, and c) he is 21 years old!!! He is 21 and not a project. He has star potential. Trust me on that. If anything, he will become a very good starter on a championship winning team.

innovator
10-31-2008, 12:13 AM

dont be surprised since his a hater

KobeIs
10-31-2008, 01:19 AM
Personally, I think it's a good signing just because they won't have to worry about other teams offering him a huge contract.

I know the Lakers can match since hes restricted, but what if a team is willing to give him the max deal? So if the Lakers want to keep him, they need to give him max. I think its a good decision

Vidball
10-31-2008, 01:20 AM
Good signing...if they would have waited until next offseason, the Lakers probably would have had to match a Max-level contract with Player options built in. Now they have a 3 year contract with a Team option for the 4th. The only way to measure whether or not Bynum was overpaid is by projecting what he would have demanded on the open market next offseason--its my opinion he would have demanded Max dollars, so 3 years at $14M per with a Team option is a good signing.

LakerzDQ
10-31-2008, 04:04 AM
overpaid.

but it's not my money, so it's all good.

lakerboy
10-31-2008, 04:04 AM

Wow. This is a lot worse than your "Nuggets in 7" prediction. You just seriously outdid yourself!

lakerboy
10-31-2008, 04:07 AM
I am sure they have a very high paying network deal, they sell a ton of merchandise, Laker tickets probably cost a ton, they split an arena vs having to lease it outright with another team, not to mention all the activities that go on there, so they probably don't pay a lot for using Staples. They have huge sponsors, and they make the playoffs every single year, bringing in a lot of extra revenue that many teams don't see, because instead of 82 games a year, they play 85-100. Front row seats are in the mid $2,000 mark.

I think the owner of Staples Center co-owns LA.

THE_FLASH_21
10-31-2008, 01:19 PM

i agree with u.. Jefferson is and will be better then Bynum.... Great signing

Missing56&33
10-31-2008, 01:32 PM
not worth it, he hasn't done anything to make that kind of money

OY!
10-31-2008, 02:08 PM
i agree with u.. Jefferson is and will be better then Bynum.... Great signing

haha how much you wanna bet on that?

GunFactor187
10-31-2008, 02:11 PM
very great move by Lakers management! has the kind of feel when we signed Maxiell again.

G-Funk
10-31-2008, 03:44 PM
lakers fans are the only sports fans who think their team is a dynasty without winning a champion with their current set of players first. Bynum is good, no doubt, but 14.5 mil a yr is a lot and this guy has already had one terrible injury.

Are you ****ing stupid???? that injury was not terrible!

DODGERS&LAKERS
10-31-2008, 04:07 PM
I think I will let a basketball genius like Dr. Jerry Buss make these types of decisions any day of the week over some of you idiots. Since he has owned the Lakers they are the most successful franchise in all of sports. He knows what he is doing. He knew this team had enough talent to win big even though Kobe could not see it himself. He knew it was time to trade Shaq before he eventually got too old and injured to be a legitimate trade piece. He knows how to build a franchise. His teams never have to rebuild for prolonged periods. If he sees Bynum as being worth that money, I think I trust him to make that decision for my favorite team.

Hawkeye15
10-31-2008, 07:52 PM
I think the owner of Staples Center co-owns LA.

yeah, I don't know enough about their financials. My point was, they make the most money in the league outside NY I believe, they can, and had to make this move, even if it seems a bit high for an unproven player. He is still a kid though, and I have watched him 2 times this fall, and he looks good. I like his hands, and footwork.

Hawkeye15
10-31-2008, 07:57 PM
haha how much you wanna bet on that?

I am willing to bet pretty much whatever you like that Al Jefferson is, and will remain better. Remember, he already gets the stats Laker fans are praying Bynum gets, and he is the man on his team, something Bynum will not have the chance to be for a long time. I would bet $1000 that by the time their careers are done, Jefferson all time stats are better than Bynums

cambovenzi
10-31-2008, 08:03 PM
I am willing to bet pretty much whatever you like that Al Jefferson is, and will remain better. Remember, he already gets the stats Laker fans are praying Bynum gets, and he is the man on his team, something Bynum will not have the chance to be for a long time. I would bet $1000 that by the time their careers are done, Jefferson all time stats are better than Bynums

:rolleyes:
based on which stats?
AB has a much higher FG%.(63% last year)
had 10.5 RPG, with only 25 of 35 starts in games he played.(meaning it would go up if he started more)
and according to many people has much more potential.

just because he doesnt get all the shot opps that jefferson does, it doesnt make him any worse of a player.

Hawkeye15
10-31-2008, 08:22 PM
:rolleyes:
based on which stats?
AB has a much higher FG%.(63% last year)
had 10.5 RPG, with only 25 of 35 starts in games he played.(meaning it would go up if he started more)
and according to many people has much more potential.

just because he doesnt get all the shot opps that jefferson does, it doesnt make him any worse of a player.

I have debated enough times on these forums about this, not going to waste my time fighting the Laker brigade that exists here. I believe I think to be true, everyone else has their own right to do the same. And Bynum won't get the shots AJ does for another 5-7 years. And I expect Jefferson around 12 rebounds and 2 blocks this year. And of course Bynum shoots a higher percentage. He has never seen a double team in his life, and lives off dunks from breakdowns and offensive rebounds. According to who has more potential? Laker fans?
This is the last that I respond to these, I have been labeled a hater simply from saying a guy who is already a 21-11 player, and second only to Duncan in footwork, is better than Bynum, which makes me scratch my head.

Bruno
10-31-2008, 08:24 PM
The people have spoken.

barreleffact
10-31-2008, 08:45 PM
he's worth it. its potential dynasty time and it lets kobe understand that they are committed to winning and to him. when kobe opts out after the season, he will definately resign at ease knowing he has bynum and gasol locked for the next few years

barreleffact
10-31-2008, 08:48 PM

individual stats and team production are very different. bynums biggest asset is his defense. his presence alone makes him more valuable to LA than AJ could be

cambovenzi
10-31-2008, 08:51 PM
I have debated enough times on these forums about this, not going to waste my time fighting the Laker brigade that exists here. I believe I think to be true, everyone else has their own right to do the same. And Bynum won't get the shots AJ does for another 5-7 years. And I expect Jefferson around 12 rebounds and 2 blocks this year. And of course Bynum shoots a higher percentage. He has never seen a double team in his life, and lives off dunks from breakdowns and offensive rebounds. According to who has more potential? Laker fans?
This is the last that I respond to these, I have been labeled a hater simply from saying a guy who is already a 21-11 player, and second only to Duncan in footwork, is better than Bynum, which makes me scratch my head.

so your going to say and bet he will always be better based off stats, and then not tell us which stats?
shots per game:rolleyes:

TMAC94
10-31-2008, 09:03 PM
over paid now but in 2 seasons people will look back at this as a good deal if he continues to improve

ARMIN12NBA
10-31-2008, 09:21 PM
yeah, I don't know enough about their financials. My point was, they make the most money in the league outside NY I believe, they can, and had to make this move, even if it seems a bit high for an unproven player. He is still a kid though, and I have watched him 2 times this fall, and he looks good. I like his hands, and footwork.

Thanks for the compliment. Is that your first compliment to a Laker player ever?

I agree, at this point, that Jefferson has better offensive skills than Bynum. That is a fact to me. But, at the age of 20, Bynum had much superior offensive skills than Jefferson did at the same age.

Remember Jefferson is 24 years old going on 25 I believe. Bynum just turned 21. Of course Bynum has more potential! He has the people around him to maximize his potential and he is much younger.

Here is the thing that I think you are forgetting, Hawkeye: Jefferson is an awful defender. I mean, he is just a very bad defender. Bynum is a very good defender. I think that is important especially considering that Bynum is much younger and has time to develop post moves and offensive skills, which as you said, are pretty good already.

KB24PG16
10-31-2008, 10:30 PM
he got less money than bogut so i think it is a good signing

Hawkeye15
11-01-2008, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the compliment. Is that your first compliment to a Laker player ever?

I agree, at this point, that Jefferson has better offensive skills than Bynum. That is a fact to me. But, at the age of 20, Bynum had much superior offensive skills than Jefferson did at the same age.

Remember Jefferson is 24 years old going on 25 I believe. Bynum just turned 21. Of course Bynum has more potential! He has the people around him to maximize his potential and he is much younger.

Here is the thing that I think you are forgetting, Hawkeye: Jefferson is an awful defender. I mean, he is just a very bad defender. Bynum is a very good defender. I think that is important especially considering that Bynum is much younger and has time to develop post moves and offensive skills, which as you said, are pretty good already.

Jefferson will be 24 in a few months. And he is an improved defender, and light years ahead of Bynum in the post. And potential is a word. Not a reality. I will not fight anyone on this, you have your opinion, I have mine. I think Al Jefferson is, and will always be a better player than Bynum. You guys (Laker fans) think otherwise. Neato. How bout we agree to disagree? And move on. I can't believe I even responded to this thread. Laker fans are so irrational it is unreal.
Bynum is going to be this!!!!!!!!!. Well, he isn't anything yet, so pipe down

stawka
11-01-2008, 01:31 AM
Too much money for a guy that hasn't done a thing in the NBA - much like if Oden was to get a similar contract because of his potential. But then again, we are in a league that overpays any big-man (look at Curry, Kwame etc.) and this guy will be a hell of a lot better then them.

EddieB
11-01-2008, 02:03 AM
The guy potential is scary, but as with Oden he needs to stay healthy for the whole year, It can go either way, payed to much or good signing, only the future will tell.

ARMIN12NBA
11-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Jefferson will be 24 in a few months. And he is an improved defender, and light years ahead of Bynum in the post. And potential is a word. Not a reality. I will not fight anyone on this, you have your opinion, I have mine. I think Al Jefferson is, and will always be a better player than Bynum. You guys (Laker fans) think otherwise. Neato. How bout we agree to disagree? And move on. I can't believe I even responded to this thread. Laker fans are so irrational it is unreal.
Bynum is going to be this!!!!!!!!!. Well, he isn't anything yet, so pipe down

I guess your opinion is that Al Jefferson will be a good defender. To me (and many many others), he will be a type of player that will be great on offense and a liability on defense. Bynum is already a very good defender and solid on offense with some nice moves. He is 21 and offense is something that takes type to develop and he has actually developed his offensive game sooner than expected. The potential in Bynum is that he can be dominant on both ends of the court. That IS his potential. Jefferson does not have that potential IMO.

ARMIN12NBA
11-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Too much money for a guy that hasn't done a thing in the NBA - much like if Oden was to get a similar contract because of his potential. But then again, we are in a league that overpays any big-man (look at Curry, Kwame etc.) and this guy will be a hell of a lot better then them.

:laugh2: Oden has never played a full game in the NBA yet. Bynum has had a pretty good full 82 game season at age 19 where he averaged 8 and 5 on 56% shooting. Then he had half of a season where he was a guaranteed double-double and averaged 15 and 11 as a starter on 67% shooting for 25 games (played 35 in all). Don't compare Oden's situation to Bynum at all.

valade16
11-21-2008, 09:38 AM
Please Don't compare Oden to Bynum, when all is said and done Bynum will be looking at Odens bust in the hall of fame...

It must be very funny that Oden has played 6 games and already has the same statistics as bynum (a 4 year pro) while being a great force defensively and scoring more points in less minutes.

I'd be laughing my head off too if I'm a laker fan...

JJ81
11-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Please Don't compare Oden to Bynum, when all is said and done Bynum will be looking at Odens bust in the hall of fame...

It must be very funny that Oden has played 6 games and already has the same statistics as bynum (a 4 year pro) while being a great force defensively and scoring more points in less minutes.

I'd be laughing my head off too if I'm a laker fan...

Bynum's still developing off an injury. And btw, it's easier to average better stats in less games...... Idiot.

MooseWithFleas
11-21-2008, 02:24 PM
The contract will look like a steal in 3 years if he stays healthy

GregOden#1
11-21-2008, 02:37 PM
Bynum's still developing off an injury.

According to every Laker fan here Oden's injury was far more severe than Bynum's (it wasn't but oh well), now you're making excuses saying Bynum is coming off an injury? What about Oden? Hypocrites.

superkegger
11-21-2008, 02:41 PM
According to every Laker fan here Oden's injury was far more severe than Bynum's (it wasn't but oh well), now you're making excuses saying Bynum is coming off an injury? What about Oden? Hypocrites.

I understand your point. But is it still really trying to argue with these Laker fans that way overhype Bynum and don't really understand basketball. You'll never get anywhere...

Gibby23
11-21-2008, 03:09 PM

I don't think we care about Oden. We are 9-1 and Bynum is the 3rd or 4th option and is doing what he needs to do.

GregOden#1
11-21-2008, 03:21 PM
I don't think we care about Oden. We are 9-1 and Bynum is the 3rd or 4th option and is doing what he needs to do.

Keep making excuses.

JAZZNC
11-21-2008, 03:25 PM
I think that its actually a pretty good signing. He's going to command more if he continues to improve and becomes a FA so why not lock him up before that can even happen? Who knows if Gasol is going to stay after his contract is up, although I doubt he'd want to go anywhere else.