PDA

View Full Version : Jake Peavy Update

djohn2oo8
10-30-2008, 12:49 PM
The Braves and Padres remain at an impasse in their trade discussions concerning right-hander Jake Peavy, sources say.

The Padres are believed to be asking for five players, knowing the Braves parted with that many when they acquired first baseman Mark Teixeira and left-hander Ron Mahay from the Rangers.

Of course, the players and combinations remain fluid, and the final package could hinge on whether the Braves take back shortstop Khalil Greene as a replacement for Yunel Escobar, who likely would be included in the deal.

For the moment, the Braves remain opposed to trading Class AA right-hander Tommy Hanson, who has pitched 8 2/3 scoreless innings in the Arizona Fall League and could be in the Atlanta rotation next season.

The Padres' discussions with other clubs about Peavy also are quiet, but the talks are certain to resume next week at the general managers' meetings in Dana Point, Ca

native_astro
10-31-2008, 11:47 AM
The Astros will discuss Jake Peavy with the Padres, but their best chance to contend is for some of their kids — Brad James, Chris Blazek, Sammy Gervacio — to blow away the competition in spring training.

There’s nothing wrong with spending in free agency as long as everyone understands it’s essentially a penalty for player-development mistakes. With an aging core of players, the Astros are almost compelled to try it.

But it’s not the long-term answer.

source: houston chronicle
link: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/6087329.html

I've said this for the beginning. I do not think this is a good idea to go after Peavy because of what we would have to give up giving the current state of our farm system.

Jermster
10-31-2008, 02:51 PM
The Astros will discuss Jake Peavy with the Padres, but their best chance to contend is for some of their kids ó Brad James, Chris Blazek, Sammy Gervacio ó to blow away the competition in spring training.

Thereís nothing wrong with spending in free agency as long as everyone understands itís essentially a penalty for player-development mistakes. With an aging core of players, the Astros are almost compelled to try it.

But itís not the long-term answer.

source: houston chronicle
link: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/6087329.html

I've said this for the beginning. I do not think this is a good idea to go after Peavy because of what we would have to give up giving the current state of our farm system.

But if the Astros don't add a person like Jake Peavy, then the next 2 to 4 years or even longer, the Astros will be trying to sign a Starting Pitcher to add to Roy and a lot of the good Pitches are Type A.

Agstro
10-31-2008, 06:20 PM
But if the Astros don't add a person like Jake Peavy, then the next 2 to 4 years or even longer, the Astros will be trying to sign a Starting Pitcher to add to Roy and a lot of the good Pitches are Type A.

To me Peavy is a stop gap. We don't have to give up any draft picks for him. We are giving away people who aren't highly regarded, and by the time his, Roy's and Carlos's contract are up. The younger players we didn't lose to signing free agents should be coming up.

We also will be field a very competitive team with a hell of a lineup. Tejada's contract will come off the books at the end of next season, so we will be able to plug holes with that.