PDA

View Full Version : Try this crazy idea for a closer!

hoog
10-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Hear me out before you click out of this forum. If you can get Pedro Martinez to commit to being a closer only for next season I think he'd be perfect. He still has a very good strike out to walk ratio and next year is his second after arm surgery, which always seems to be better than the year they come back. He wasn't horrible as a starter when he came back but I think the innings pitched is coming to roost and by being a closer he'd only throw one or two a game. I think his experience and nationality fit this team and given one inning a game would allow him to go out and just throw rather than conserve for a whole game. I think he's the perfect mold mentality wise for a closer also. You'd just have to convince him that he's no longer a starter in this league. The best part, if it works he's only 36 so you might be able to get 3 years out of him if you use him right. That would allow Zumaya and others to remain as set up guys with some save opportunities.

drewstantontime
10-30-2008, 05:46 PM
honestly, you will get criticized for suggesting that but A. I love Pedro martinez and B. its really not that bad of and idea, keep him healthy all year by not wearing and tearing him.....ya i can support that

Thames9
10-30-2008, 05:53 PM
At this point, I would take anyone.

JackB
10-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Pedro would come in with men on base just about every game and maybe a bases loaded situation if they allow Zumaya,Rodney and company to continue to setup. Thats asking a lot of a closer. Best bet is cut ties with both of them. Move on. But I do like the Pedro as a closer idea.

stanpapi
11-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Just stop it. If we bring one more retread in, just one more.... I don't understand why people want to pay players for what they did for other teams.

SDonly
11-05-2008, 04:51 PM
speaking of retreads, please sign hoffman and get him the hell away from us