PDA

View Full Version : 1st impressions of Mayo

barreleffact
10-30-2008, 06:35 AM
How do you guys see him as a player now and what do you think his ceiling is? Ive heard a lot of his work ethic and even kobe says OJ could be the real deal. However, preseason through last night, he has not impressed me in the least. He seems to be a streaky/ inconsistant shooter regardless of how praised his shot has been by analysts. Last night was the eye opener for me. Maybe I should give him some slack considering his opponent, but I cant see how a player can shoot 25% of 20 shots....20!!! 7 threes. SEVEN. he hit NONE of them. add that to the fact that he had no freethrow attempts. That makes me think the few analysts that rather harshly criticed him were right. in HS his athleticism was surreal. he could blow by anyone, but in college and now the pros, he seems step slow or just not fast enough to blow by anyone with any kind of regularity. His defence may be above average or expectations, but Mayo is an offensive guy and shooting 20 attempts for 10 points is not a great way to start your career. granted, it was against houston and he was probably defended by mac, who is a lot longer than he is, but he's in the nba now. im not giving him any excuses.

LakerzDQ
10-30-2008, 06:53 AM
it was just 1 game, so I won't judge him. he still has potential.

bbcmillionaire
10-30-2008, 07:09 AM
is that kobe gasol lakerzdq? hahahaha
yeah mayo is going to be a t-mac type of player or maybe better? dont know

LakerzDQ
10-30-2008, 09:14 AM

yeah. looks a bit weird but it's alright

cubulls
10-30-2008, 09:54 AM
He will be streaky like Ben Gordon.

Big Quett
10-30-2008, 10:15 AM
yeah. looks a bit weird but it's alright

DAMN i never noticed that until now. Dude that looks freaky.

But guys come on it was game 1. just game one give the kid a break. Im a Grizz fan and i have to admit some of the shots he took made me cringe. But i would say of the 20 shots he took about 14 of them were good shots he just missed. and the last 3 or 4 three point attempts came at the end of the game in like the last min when the whole team was just shooting 3's to try and stay in the game.

He is a rookie so he is going to have his ups and downs.

LakerzDQ
10-30-2008, 10:37 AM
DAMN i never noticed that until now. Dude that looks freaky.

But guys come on it was game 1. just game one give the kid a break. Im a Grizz fan and i have to admit some of the shots he took made me cringe. But i would say of the 20 shots he took about 14 of them were good shots he just missed. and the last 3 or 4 three point attempts came at the end of the game in like the last min when the whole team was just shooting 3's to try and stay in the game.

He is a rookie so he is going to have his ups and downs.

agreed.
at least he did better than Greg Oden... :speechless:

Big Quett
10-30-2008, 10:44 AM
agreed.
at least he did better than Greg Oden... :speechless:

Yeah he actually finished the game

bbcmillionaire
10-30-2008, 10:46 AM
at least rose is doing well p.s. GO BULLS

Raidaz4Life
10-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Mayo just needs some time... and yes his opponent just might end up being the best defensive team in the West

Kabowdos
10-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Too early to tell. His rookie season is still too early to tell but it will show a lot. KB24 average 8 points his rookie season than went on from there. Mayo is what 19 year old? I mean come on he has 3 years before he is even a normal guy entering. One game means nothing but 20 shots and only making 5 of them is not that good.

DJ CHACH
10-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Oj mayo will be r.o.y

Hellcrooner
10-30-2008, 12:18 PM
He is going to be good, specially if he learns to pass the ball and play for the team.

But right now he is on a Gorillas chest battle with Rudy Gay, that is a problem for Memphis and for hi sdevelopement.

barreleffact
10-30-2008, 02:30 PM
I still have my extreme doubt on this kid. I mean college, he wasnt impressive to me. Preseason...just a chucker. Game 1...same thing. he hasnt seemed to change anything from college to me. He was supposed to be a great passer....hasnt shown that since high school. He's been turnover proned since colege, and although its one game, if ur not hot...ur not hot. I know the golden rule is a good shooter should ALWAYS shoot when open, but this kid has to be as inconsistent as it gets. He'll go 0 for 8 one game then 4 for 7 the next. IDK...i just dont see his upside unless he can get more explosive to get by his man.

And whoever compared him to kobe's rookie year....you muct be kidding. kobe came of the bench to 2 allstars. Mayo is getting 40 minutes a game. big difference. I understand you are saying he needs time though

Chronz
10-30-2008, 02:54 PM
He did shoot ALOT, but him and Rudy are going to have the green light all year. Add to the fact that the Rockets worst individual defender was on him it makes sense that he be aggressive, but Tmac played good D. They shouldve ran Mayo thru more screens, every time they did he got really good separation on Tmac.

_Sn1P3r_
10-30-2008, 04:19 PM
Bad shooting percentage but he could improve that.

Hawkeye15
10-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Too early to tell. His rookie season is still too early to tell but it will show a lot. KB24 average 8 points his rookie season than went on from there. Mayo is what 19 year old? I mean come on he has 3 years before he is even a normal guy entering. One game means nothing but 20 shots and only making 5 of them is not that good.

He is 21 in less than a week, he was much older than most freshman last year. I keep telling everyone, and getting crapped on for doing so, that you are looking at the next Ben Gordon. He will not be a star. But Ben Gordon is good, a streaky shooter that has the ability to score. And no, with the way the NBA has been for the last 5 years, many good or great players are under 23 years old. Kevin Love outplayed him badly. However, this was one game. There are a few more

superkegger
10-30-2008, 05:18 PM
yeah he took a lo of shots but better him than darko...

Cavs_Fan24
10-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Well, in my mind he could be the next great thing, or become the next JR Smith.

barreleffact
10-30-2008, 05:54 PM
im beginning to think he is the perfect example of what hard work but low genetical limits can get you. i believe he has worked his tail off since being a kid, but his natural limits wont let him be quicker than the rest of his competition anymore.

DreamShaker
10-30-2008, 06:18 PM
The 20 shots thing....remember who is coach is....

DreamShaker
10-30-2008, 06:21 PM
im beginning to think he is the perfect example of what hard work but low genetical limits can get you. i believe he has worked his tail off since being a kid, but his natural limits wont let him be quicker than the rest of his competition anymore.

With him I would worry more about the mental aspect of his game....

SAVAGE CLAW
10-31-2008, 01:16 AM
Two many shoots and Memphis Already had that type of GUy in Gay.

team can afford to have a hogger but two is a big trouble and it may lead to trouble among Them.

THey would also benefit from passing the Ball inside.

If Marc Shot 20 times yesterday he would have scored 30

And if he had 20 shots every game he woudl do a 25/12 average.

IM nto asking for that much, but i think 15 shots for Mayo 15 for Marc and 18 for Gay woudl make more sense and allow them to average like 16, 16 and, 20 a game.

pete_one
10-31-2008, 01:54 AM
OJ MAYO is bringin the miracle whip to FunkyTown

Chronz
10-31-2008, 07:02 AM

team can afford to have a hogger but two is a big trouble and it may lead to trouble among Them.

IM nto asking for that much, but i think 15 shots for Mayo 15 for Marc and 18 for Gay woudl make more sense and allow them to average like 16, 16 and, 20 a game.

Its not that simple

LakerzDQ
10-31-2008, 08:26 AM
Its not that simple

lol, indeed.

Rumeye
10-31-2008, 08:35 AM
Oj mayo will be r.o.y

Love.

BooCain
10-31-2008, 08:35 AM
This guy is the second coming of Larry Hughes. He play just like him, they even look alike on the court. That is his ceiling.

Tmac,lt,berkman
10-31-2008, 02:52 PM
I was at the rockets game and he played a lot better than the stats say he did.

mcnasty54
10-31-2008, 03:59 PM
larry hughes 2.0

Big Quett
11-01-2008, 06:29 AM
Now can he get any love for having a good game last nite

5 for 11 17 points 6 for 6 from the line and 6 rebounds

I repeat he is a rookie he is going to have his up and downs just like 99% of rookies do

Hawkeye15
11-01-2008, 01:07 PM
Now can he get any love for having a good game last nite

5 for 11 17 points 6 for 6 from the line and 6 rebounds

I repeat he is a rookie he is going to have his up and downs just like 99% of rookies do

I watched the whole game. Much better night. He will have bigger spikes than most rookies, because his game relies on outside shooting almost exclusively. I still think Ben Gordon, which is not a bad thing. He is too small, and not fast enough to be a Kobe/Wade type. But he did look more comfortable last night.
Um, one last thing, Rudy Gay is going to be a stud. I love it how players that come out of college that didn't look like they were trying their best every posession get labeled as lazy. Maybe he was so much better, it didn't interest him. This guy is going to be awesome. Better than Durant I think

MiamiHeat
11-01-2008, 01:18 PM
He only had 1 assists other than that he did better than his 1st game

NJrockPD
11-01-2008, 01:38 PM

********, he will never be nearly as good as t-mac. As much as people like to trash him t-mac has had an excellent career, he is an all around good player and i don't think mayo will every match that.

He will be streaky like Ben Gordon.

Thats more like it.

philab
11-01-2008, 02:32 PM

I've been really impressed with Marc Gasol so far. First two games of his career, he's had to go up against Yao and then D-Ho -- pretty rough matchups. He's done well against both, though, and has put up nice games offensively too. The guy could be a real star.

On Mayo, give him some time. Once he relaxes a bit and stops forcing, the shots will start to fall. I don't think he's got the tools to be a superstar (like top 5-10 players in the league), but he could be the IDEAL complement to a superstar, as far as a 2-guard is concerned.

I really like what Memphis has here. Arthur looks like a solid player as well, and I love Conley at the point. Throw it all around Gay and this team could be pretty good in 2-3 years.

theimortalone
11-01-2008, 04:09 PM
So far he has been pretty impressive.

Big Quett
11-01-2008, 05:03 PM
I watched the whole game. Much better night. He will have bigger spikes than most rookies, because his game relies on outside shooting almost exclusively. I still think Ben Gordon, which is not a bad thing. He is too small, and not fast enough to be a Kobe/Wade type. But he did look more comfortable last night.
Um, one last thing, Rudy Gay is going to be a stud. I love it how players that come out of college that didn't look like they were trying their best every posession get labeled as lazy. Maybe he was so much better, it didn't interest him. This guy is going to be awesome. Better than Durant I think

I know Gordon is a good player but The reason i dont like the Ben Gordon label is because Ben does nothing else but score. I think Mayo could have a much more all around game than Ben. I think he could be a Joe Johnson or Rip Hamilton type. The next level down from the Kobe's and LeBron's.

And on Rudy i think he has a chance to get to that great level if he keeps working on his game.

Hawkeye15
11-01-2008, 05:49 PM
I know Gordon is a good player but The reason i dont like the Ben Gordon label is because Ben does nothing else but score. I think Mayo could have a much more all around game than Ben. I think he could be a Joe Johnson or Rip Hamilton type. The next level down from the Kobe's and LeBron's.

And on Rudy i think he has a chance to get to that great level if he keeps working on his game.

I don't think Mayo will do anything but score either. He never has really. In fact, I think he very comparable to Gordon. Gordon averaged more rebounds and assists, and less turnovers in college than Mayo did.
Hey, I could be wrong. But that is what I see. Me saying it doesn't make it true brotha

Lakersfan2483
11-01-2008, 06:26 PM
OJ Mayo has a chance to be a really good player in this league, give him sometime.

Chronz
11-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Ben Gordon couldnt contest my grandmas jumpshot and shes in a wheel chair so lets give Mayo alittle more credit

SAVAGE CLAW
11-02-2008, 01:19 AM
Anybody can guess why Grizz lost today against chicago?

Yeah , its true, Oj and Gay shoot like 100 times more than the rest of the starters all togheter!!!!!.

Marc and Conley should get more touches if they want to win games.

As i said, you can do with one hog on the team, in fact it actually ends up being a good thing ( kobe, Iverson, Jordan)

But having TWO of them trying to porve he is the boss agaisnt the other.........

Bad Idea!!!

Vegasguy80
11-02-2008, 01:22 AM
I think the same way about him now as I did before the end of his freshman year. He should have stayed in college one more year. He is going to get eaten alive this year! He is very overrated.

Big Quett
11-02-2008, 04:20 AM
I don't think Mayo will do anything but score either. He never has really. In fact, I think he very comparable to Gordon. Gordon averaged more rebounds and assists, and less turnovers in college than Mayo did.
Hey, I could be wrong. But that is what I see. Me saying it doesn't make it true brotha

I want to see those stats. And plus Ben had a better team around him didnt he and Emeka win the championship that year? And besides OJ plays defense Ben doesnt that is the biggest difference. OJ competes on D and ben doesnt care. And plus what is going to separate OJ from other players is his work ethic and willingness and dedication to get better.

Big Quett
11-02-2008, 04:27 AM
Anybody can guess why Grizz lost today against chicago?

Yeah , its true, Oj and Gay shoot like 100 times more than the rest of the starters all togheter!!!!!.

Marc and Conley should get more touches if they want to win games.

As i said, you can do with one hog on the team, in fact it actually ends up being a good thing ( kobe, Iverson, Jordan)

But having TWO of them trying to porve he is the boss agaisnt the other.........

Bad Idea!!!

Dude seriously what is with this love affair with Marc Gasol?

I like him as much as anybody but damn. Your saying he needs more touches but he is not a scorer. He is a physical defender and hustle guy. He is a good rebounder but he is not good scorer. He went 1 for 6. He is shooting 42% from the field and he is post guy. His is 11 for 26 for the season for 25 points. So do you still think with 20 shots a game he could average 30? He is just not a good scorer. That is not his role.

And you asked can anybody guess why they lost they lost because Mike Conely couldnt guard himself if he had to and he let D Rose go off for 26. And your crush Mac Gasol let Drew Gooden grab 20 damn boards. Mayo was 7 for 15 with 16 points and Rudy was 8 for 19 for 20 points not great but mush damn better than 1 for 6 for 3 points with. And we see who the coaches trust more when your starting PG isnt even in the game during crunch time. The last 2 games Kyle has finished the games off.

Hellcrooner
11-02-2008, 12:43 PM
^Marc gasol not a scorer?

He lead the spanish league in scoring last year!!!! an dwon mvp by the way,,,,,,

Haha ahahahahahahha

$ NyC $
11-02-2008, 01:17 PM
I think Mayo Rookie Year averages will be about

16 ppg 3 rpg 4 aspg 1.1 spg

Hawkeye15
11-02-2008, 01:22 PM
I want to see those stats. And plus Ben had a better team around him didnt he and Emeka win the championship that year? And besides OJ plays defense Ben doesnt that is the biggest difference. OJ competes on D and ben doesnt care. And plus what is going to separate OJ from other players is his work ethic and willingness and dedication to get better.

well, we can agree to disagree then. You aren't going to change my mind. Go to ESPN, and look at Uconn's stats from the early 2000's. It is plain and simple.

Hawkeye15
11-02-2008, 01:24 PM

There are way too many rookies that will have good stats on way better teams. Love, Beasley, Rose, Oden, for example. Durant had no competition last year in regards to stats, so he was able to win it despite being on a horrible team. Won't happen this time around.

$ NyC $
11-02-2008, 01:31 PM
What happened? lol i was just listing what i think he'll average this year.

barreleffact
11-02-2008, 02:11 PM

I think he gets the points but im suspect on the rebounds and definately the assists. he hasnt shown any kind of passing abilities as far as im concerned, but then again his team does suck too. but yea, i think he'll average 2 or 3 assists per. 3.5 tops, but has he even gotten more than 3 in a game yet? serious question cuz his game is so jump shot oriented, and he lacks the quickness to get by someone and force a collapse so how could he really get any assists?

Big Quett
11-02-2008, 02:24 PM
^Marc gasol not a scorer?

He lead the spanish league in scoring last year!!!! an dwon mvp by the way,,,,,,

Haha ahahahahahahha

Yeah against inferior competition then he is playing against now. There are no D Howards , Yao Mings, Amarie's, Tim Duncan's or Hell even Shaq's over there.

And 16.5 points a game would really lead the league in scoring over here right? :rolleyes: 16.5 wouldnt even lead centers.

I like Gasol but imo i just dont think he will be a scorer in the NBA like he was in the Spanish league.
That is not a knock on him. But hey im s grizz fan so i hope im wrong. But the point i was trying to make is that dude was acting like Marc was the 2nd coming of Wilt.

Hellcrooner
11-02-2008, 03:12 PM
^ Check how many points avrages Childress in greece.

In europe rarly a palyer averages mor then 18 or 19 because 1st you play 10 minute squrters instead of 12 minuts quraters, and second the ball is shared much more , its usual for the starters to all of them average 10 + points a gamen, you look for he open man not for the star.

thrilla11
11-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Mayo is sick wit it
give him time

Big Quett
11-03-2008, 05:38 AM
^ Check how many points avrages Childress in greece.

In europe rarly a palyer averages mor then 18 or 19 because 1st you play 10 minute squrters instead of 12 minuts quraters, and second the ball is shared much more , its usual for the starters to all of them average 10 + points a gamen, you look for he open man not for the star.

OK all of that might be true but that still does not explain why a 7 foot center is shooting 42% from the field. If any other center were doing that you would think and say the same thing. He is ineffective and not a good scorer.

Am I right? Just answer me that one question.

Hellcrooner
11-03-2008, 11:07 AM
you cant take shooting stats seriously when you are doing 6 shots a game and half of them are taken on the offensive rebound from an unbalanced position.

Big Quett
11-03-2008, 12:52 PM
you cant take shooting stats seriously when you are doing 6 shots a game and half of them are taken on the offensive rebound from an unbalanced position.

that is not at all true. I watch the games he gets the ball in the post and he struggles. He gets 9 shots a game. And only converts on about 3. Im not saying he cant grow into a decent post presence im just saying right now he is just not there. I really hopes he becomes that though.