PDA

View Full Version : DO you STILL think it was a steal?

Hellcrooner
10-30-2008, 04:38 AM
The gasol trade.

PAu for :

Kwame:Big Meat expiring contract that will allow them to have lots of cap for 09 Fa.

CRittenton: ok not so good fo rnow, but nice sweetener for a future deal.

MARC GASOL

2 picks, the first of them is Darrel ARthur.

OK Marc Gasol ahs already proved he is a nba Starter .

Tonights Lines from Marc and Arthur.

Marc : 12 Points 12 rebounds 2 blocks 1 assist.

Arthur: 11 points 15 rebounds 2 blocks 1 assis.

And that numbers taking on account that they barely had some touches because of Gays and Mayos lovefeast of Shooting.

Man....... Sure Lakers won in teh trad?

amare#1
10-30-2008, 05:17 AM
Good thread man. Laker's won the trade in the respect that if they are going to win a Championship it will be within the next 3 years with Kobes, and Gasol will consistently contribute right now. But if Marc Gasol and Darrell Arthur continue that type of play, as unlikely as it is, it looks like they definitely lost it for the next ten years.

Musiq
10-30-2008, 05:21 AM
its only been 1 game, give it a month or two

Rome
10-30-2008, 05:58 AM
Too early to tell, but it looks good so far for Memphis.

barreleffact
10-30-2008, 06:24 AM
The gasol trade.

PAu for :

Kwame:Big Meat expiring contract that will allow them to have lots of cap for 09 Fa.

CRittenton: ok not so good fo rnow, but nice sweetener for a future deal.

MARC GASOL

2 picks, the first of them is Darrel ARthur.

OK Marc Gasol ahs already proved he is a nba Starter .

Tonights Lines from Marc and Arthur.

Marc : 12 Points 12 rebounds 2 blocks 1 assist.

Arthur: 11 points 15 rebounds 2 blocks 1 assis.

And that numbers taking on account that they barely had some touches because of Gays and Mayos lovefeast of Shooting.

Man....... Sure Lakers won in teh trad?

Yes!!! LA would take that trade and do it again 10 times out of 10. Gasol brought them a post presence when Bynum went down. With or without Bynum they are now contenders for the next 3-5 years. Gasol is a somewhat proven player where as the traded are:
Kwame brown- bust...defensive presence(maybe) but horrible on offense and he was too soft mentally
J Crit- he has potential. I look at his stat sheets and he's def a shoot 1st guard but his stats look pretty good. with that being said LA doesnt need him when they already have Fisher and Farmar.
Marc Gasol- Doesnt look to me like he'll eclipse Pau. He may be a solid player, but maybe not. we'll see
Darell Arthur fell down so lowly because he has health concerns. Kidney concerns to be specific if im not mistaken. He was a steal in the draft and LA had no way of knowing he would fall to them.
regardless, they are best off for the next 5 years just because of the trade. It gives kobe his best chance to retire a laker, get a ring w/o shaq, and have good team chemistry. kobe wants to win and he only has about 4-6 exceptional years left in him.

also, you ae spot on about gay and mayo. very inefficient. anytime i see a player who's shot attempts total more than their final score, i feel a lot is wrong. thats an entirely different subject tho

laker1000
10-30-2008, 08:07 AM
I would still do the trade now.

oshea225
10-30-2008, 08:15 AM
lmao. memphis wins the trade now because they had one decent game, which they lost? no way. pau helped la get to the finals and they are a legit title contender. being a title contender is >>> than having some decent trade value and a solid game from a couple of rookies

JordansBulls
10-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Yes!!! LA would take that trade and do it again 10 times out of 10. Gasol brought them a post presence when Bynum went down. With or without Bynum they are now contenders for the next 3-5 years. Gasol is a somewhat proven player where as the traded are:
Kwame brown- bust...defensive presence(maybe) but horrible on offense and he was too soft mentally
J Crit- he has potential. I look at his stat sheets and he's def a shoot 1st guard but his stats look pretty good. with that being said LA doesnt need him when they already have Fisher and Farmar.
Marc Gasol- Doesnt look to me like he'll eclipse Pau. He may be a solid player, but maybe not. we'll see
Darell Arthur fell down so lowly because he has health concerns. Kidney concerns to be specific if im not mistaken. He was a steal in the draft and LA had no way of knowing he would fall to them.
regardless, they are best off for the next 5 years just because of the trade. It gives kobe his best chance to retire a laker, get a ring w/o shaq, and have good team chemistry. kobe wants to win and he only has about 4-6 exceptional years left in him.

also, you ae spot on about gay and mayo. very inefficient. anytime i see a player who's shot attempts total more than their final score, i feel a lot is wrong. thats an entirely different subject tho

Yep. Of course the Lakers won the trade. They got a proven player a guy who is an allstar , a guy who carried his team to the playoffs 3 years in a row and who even managed to get 50 wins.

p-o-g-i
10-30-2008, 08:51 AM
It was still a good trade because if Pau didn't come to the Lakers, who knows how much longer Kobe would have stuck around?!?!? Remeber all the trade scenarios Kobe was in during the last off season/ beginning of the regular season!?!?!?

Basically that trade kept Kobe in L.A., plain and simple.

Frrrrank!!!
10-30-2008, 10:25 AM
From the Lakers stand point they still won in the trade. It kept Kobe happy and gave the Lakers a chance to compete for a championship this year and the years to come. It is waaay to early to be declaring how good certain players are. For example im sure Scalabrini has scored in double figures in a game before, but that doesnt mean he is good.

colinskik
10-30-2008, 11:11 AM
lmao. memphis wins the trade now because they had one decent game, which they lost? no way. pau helped la get to the finals and they are a legit title contender. being a title contender is >>> than having some decent trade value and a solid game from a couple of rookies
Looking longterm Memphis MAY have come out on top, considering they got two players who may prove to be building blocks for their future. In all reality though, the trade was a WIN WIN. Both benefitted tremendously and I'm sure both teams would make the same trade a thousand times again if given the chance.

Raidaz4Life
10-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Nope I said from the very beginning it wasn't both sides got what they want, Memphis got younger and more complete and the Lakers got a piece for contention

Kabowdos
10-30-2008, 11:21 AM
They both made out on the trade. Lakers could not afford to wait for a young talent to develop and Memphis was not going anywhere with Gasol so it was a smart trade for both size. Memphis has potential to be great down the road and Lakers look like they are going to dominate the league this year and possible have the best record in the NBA. They won by 20 than by 38. I don't care who you play. Winning like that back to back is NUTS.

chicagowhitesox
10-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Ummmm yes this was still an enormous steal. One game's stats? Woooowwww.

FortyDubs
10-30-2008, 11:28 AM
In other news, The Knicks are on pace to win every single game this year.

clehmun
10-30-2008, 11:30 AM
lakers won the trade because:
1) 1 great player is better than 2 good ones.
2) now is better than the future.

leftymo
10-30-2008, 11:39 AM
I think the deal is about even. It just doesn't seem that way initially.

But in the end it just might be.

Look at it this way. Shaq for Grant, Odom, Butler and a 1st round pick got the Lakers to the lottery and got Miami an NBA championship.

The ultimate result netted Shaq was really Odom, Gasol, and Farmar and since they stunk it up they drafted Bynum.

Miami still won a championship, LA still hasn't but nobody was going to say LA got the better end of the deal right?

rhino17
10-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Darrell Arthur was NOT part of the lakers trade, he was traded from Portland to Houston and then from Houston to Memphis

JJ81
10-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Definitely a steal.

MTar786
10-30-2008, 01:32 PM
the trade has been proven to be FAIR.. nuff said

superkegger
10-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Marc and arthur had good games, so what. give it more time before you judge it.

Storch
10-30-2008, 01:55 PM
It was a good trade for both teams. Lakers wanted to win now and the Grizzlies wanted to rebuild. Marc gasol is going to be something to watch, hopefully not another andrew bogut.

Storch
10-30-2008, 01:55 PM
The biggest rapage was the denver clippers trade for marcus camby.

Raidaz4Life
10-30-2008, 01:59 PM
The biggest rapage was the denver clippers trade for marcus camby.

I thought the Artest trade was worse

Chronz
10-30-2008, 02:56 PM
They looked good last night, especially Marc, but dont blame their lack of touches on Mayo or Gay, they had the opportunities but neither one could create especially not with Yao giving Marc all the space in the world. When Yao did play him tight Marc just blew by him and took it up strong. It was still a steal but if Marc can play like this every game it gives the Grizz a solid foundation to build upon.

Nighthawk
10-30-2008, 03:23 PM
What a thread....Arthur and M. Gasol have ONE good game and now that evens out the trade?? IF Arthur and M Gasol could average double doubles by years end they MAYBE its even. Crittenton is a BUM...He couldnt even take Farmars spot on LA and Farmar is just a mediocre backup imo. Kwame Brown?? Well really?? Anyone who knows basketball and actually knows it WELL will tell you 10 times out of 10 that the Lakers won that trade. Gasol is a allstar, big time premier player. Marc Gasol and Arthur look like certified backups. And like someone said Arthur wasnt even involved in that Trade. So its Crittenton(Bum) Brown(Bum), Gasol(average) for Pau(allstar PF)..HMMMMMM

ShaunRiching9
10-30-2008, 03:55 PM
its only been one game ask again in 39 gmaes at the least

LA412
10-30-2008, 04:04 PM
win/win

_Sn1P3r_
10-30-2008, 04:05 PM
For now, Lakers got a steal. For future and if Marc keeps it up, then that margin could be smaller.

cambovenzi
10-30-2008, 04:07 PM
hmm...
a few scrubs for a proven allstar big man that the lakers needed badly?
yeah the lakers got a good deal.

not to say memphis doesnt like the trade tho.
they dump contracts, and get some young decent players

but the lakers would much, MUCH rather have gasol than "decent young players".

junion
10-30-2008, 04:34 PM
it's a trade that benefits both teams. memphis knew it's not going to make a trade to try to win a championship now. the lakers were trying to win a championship now, and filling in for bynum's injury. memphis wanted to clear cap space, and get young players to start a whole new team to hopefully build a contender to win a championship in the future.

lakers got what they wanted - a team that got into the finals, and who can fight for the championship

memphis got what they wanted - kwame's expiring contract, picks, and it opens them up to get a big name in '09. memphis knew that giving up pao to the lakers will help make the lakers championship contenders, but it would open up their options to build a team for the future. right now is not they're year, but now they have options for the following years. if they didn't give up pau to the lakers, then they would hurt the lakers chances - yeah - but they would also hurt their own chances are being good now and for the future.

you can say that there were other options for them - that's true, but the lakers gave up more of that memphis wanted. also the bulls didn't want to give up luol deng - just imagine if europe was able to grab him, and the bulls get nothing in return.

compared to the other contenders in the nba of course 'it's a steal' because they're playing against it. but for memphis and the lakers, they got what they wanted. lakers - contender right now. memphis - more options in order to build a contender for the future.

DreamShaker
10-30-2008, 04:46 PM
In other news, The Knicks are on pace to win every single game this year.

:laugh2:

I honestly do think it looks better than it did last season...but the Lakers want to win now....they got to the Finals with Gasol and the exact same team that lost in 5 games in the first round the previous year....granted they got off to a hot start and their young guys improved.....but when you get a guy like Pau for nobody who was relevant in your rotation....you get a steal....just look at the Celtics trading Jefferson for KG....will Jefferson be a 20/10 guy when KG is past his prime??? Yes. Would they have won a title with Jefferson last year?? Absolutely not. Sometimes you have to sacrifice your future for a championship...and if you win that championship it's always worth it....always....

arlubas
10-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Ummmm yes this was still an enormous steal. One game's stats? Woooowwww.

This man speaks the truth.

And this really is just a natural continuation of your propaganda to convince us all that Marc Gasol is the next big man in the NBA which he's not. He's solid and will have some very good games from time to time but that don't mean he's a top3 center or anything. Hell he ain't even the best Gasol in the L...

Hawkeye15
10-30-2008, 07:24 PM
It was a steal for the Lakers. Straight up.

BoltLakerPadre
10-30-2008, 07:30 PM
I said it from the begining, the trade was not that lopsided. But when you trade for a proven player, who helps save your season, and take you to the finals, you've done pretty well for yourself.

Also, in a game where you can only put five guys on the court at a time, three good players aren't worth as much as one great one.

Hawkeye15
10-30-2008, 07:33 PM
I said it from the begining, the trade was not that lopsided. But when you trade for a proven player, who helps save your season, and take you to the finals, you've done pretty well for yourself.

Also, in a game where you can only put five guys on the court at a time, three good players aren't worth as much as one great one.

when you trade for a proven player who is still in his prime, and give them $$ (Kwame) and picks, that is a steal. Picks mostly amount to nothing The rights to Marc are nice, but I don't think he is a player who will approach what Pau does. I think the Lakers got a steal. And Greg Poppovich agrees, and that is enough for me.

mrblisterdundee
10-30-2008, 07:35 PM
It is the difference between the immediate and long-range future.

Hawkeye15
10-30-2008, 07:39 PM
It is the difference between the immediate and long-range future.

When have/are the Lakers EVER going to be bad though? Sure, for Memphis, they can kind of justify it, they were above average, and treading water, not making money. But the Lakers future is not in doubt. Not when you have an unlimited payroll, play in Hollywood, and attract free agents and celebs left and right. I believe the term is, the rich get richer??

cmoneytakemoney
10-30-2008, 07:48 PM

Yeah but, even though Pau Gasol gave them a post presence when Bynum went down they it didn't help them win a title. If they don't win one in the next few years the trade would have done absolutely nothing for them and, that is a possibility. The league is more balanced this year then it ever was before and, it's probably going to be like that for awhile so nothing is guaranteed.

KmB728
10-30-2008, 08:30 PM
haha all the laker fans say it was even thats great

give it atleast half a season then judge it

plus Arthur wasnt even in that deal.. he came over from Portland

dre1990
10-30-2008, 09:04 PM
still steal

rhino17
10-30-2008, 09:34 PM
again, Arthurs rights were traded from Houston, not LA

ZHAKIDD532
10-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Down the line you may find it worked out for both teams. But the Lakers will never wish they could take that trade back.

junion
10-30-2008, 10:02 PM
The Celitcs got steals because everyone makes a move to win championships - only the Celtics won the Championship, so KG and Allen were steals?

as for the Lakers/Memphis trade... neither got screwed, only the rest of the league, they got what they wanted. it takes two to tango.

Nighthawk
10-30-2008, 10:16 PM
The Celitcs got steals because everyone makes a move to win championships - only the Celtics won the Championship, so KG and Allen were steals?

as for the Lakers/Memphis trade... neither got screwed, only the rest of the league, they got what they wanted. it takes two to tango.

im sure they could have gotten more for PAU!!!! Brown was a nice expiring but not the ONLY expiring. An unproven Crittenton?? the other Gasol. Who was terrific in Spian! And in his NBA debut look solid. But let em play a season first. Heck let em play a week of NBA basketball. The Lakers won this trade. They won this trade short term and won this trade in the future. They will always win this trade. KG was traded for Al Jefferson. A guaranteed double double and future allstar without question. Plus SOLID bench players like Gomes(who i believe could start on some teams),Telfair(hes still young).

Allen was traded for Wally who isnt as good as Ray Ray but they got Jeff Green who started some for them and West. West barely played but i dont honestly see that as a STEAL.

Lakers had a solid team already if you ask me and traded away there shittiest most unneeded talent and came away with Pau Gasol. that is a steal

Lakers4ItAll
10-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Lakers made it to the Finals because of it so I would say no matter what the Lakers came out on top. Too bad Gasol was soft in the Finals tho

Nighthawk
10-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Lakers made it to the Finals because of it so I would say no matter what the Lakers came out on top. Too bad Gasol was soft in the Finals tho

:clap::clap:

Hellcrooner
10-31-2008, 05:05 AM
Pau teh soft.....

It must be Weird for Memphis fan that are hearing the games in teh radio hear something lke " Gasol is getting phisical with MIng" " Gasol going strong for the rebound" " Gasol Banging in teh post".

He shoudl have taken #61 and go Gasol Bizarrro

Hellcrooner
11-04-2008, 03:49 AM
he, as i thought, if he gets some shot he excells!!!!

I dont remind Pau doing 27 points in the first season in any game,

And 16? rebounds? has pau ever got 16 ebounds withouth an overtime in 30 minutes play?

HouRealCoach
11-04-2008, 10:19 AM
I have to see more

Gibby23
11-04-2008, 11:27 AM
he, as i thought, if he gets some shot he excells!!!!

I dont remind Pau doing 27 points in the first season in any game,

And 16? rebounds? has pau ever got 16 ebounds withouth an overtime in 30 minutes play?

Acually Pau had 27 or more points in his first season 5 times, and a handfull of 25 plus point games. He averaged 17.6ppg his first year and 8.9rpg. Pau was also 21 at the time, Marc is 23.

Pau had 16 rebounds in his last bame and in his first year he had a 17 rebound game.

Marc played against GSW last night, he had a good game. When Pau played against GSW last year when he was in Memphis he had a 40 point 11 rebound game.

I know you like Marc, but he wouldn't put up those #'s in LA.

Raidaz4Life
11-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Acually Pau had 27 or more points in his first season 5 times, and a handfull of 25 plus point games. He averaged 17.6ppg his first year and 8.9rpg. Pau was also 21 at the time, Marc is 23.

Pau had 16 rebounds in his last bame and in his first year he had a 17 rebound game.

Marc played against GSW last night, he had a good game. When Pau played against GSW last year when he was in Memphis he had a 40 point 11 rebound game.

I know you like Marc, but he wouldn't put up those #'s in LA.

hahahaha I was reading hell's post and you just owned him and he's suppose to be the Pau Gasol expert here.... I found it funny how he said he didn't remember Pau ever getting 16 boards in a game when he just did it against Denver on saturday

cormacraig
11-04-2008, 12:28 PM
This shark attack thing is the funniest thing I've seen all week.

JordansBulls
11-04-2008, 12:31 PM

Yeah he was soft shooting over 50% and limiting KG to 42%.

Here were some comments made by Gasol as well.

Source: OCREGISTER (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/lakers-gasol-going-2072906-don-game)

"I don't think a soft team could get to the Finals, period," Gasol said. "I think that's a good way to put it. And if somebody thinks otherwise, I think you should check yourself, because it's a fact."

Gasol said he doesn't pay much attention to outside commentary.

"You play a good game and you're the king of the world," he said. "You don't play a good game, then all of a sudden you're soft and you didn't play well and it's your fault."

IndyRealist
11-04-2008, 12:52 PM
It's looking better for Memphis, but it's still a steal for LA. 27pts, 16rbs, 3blks??? Looking a lot better. Proven NBA star for an expiring, a scrub, and draft rights? C'mon.

Lakerfan32
11-04-2008, 01:00 PM
I think it's definately not a steal. A win win for both teams. Marc looks really impressive though. Anyone know who Memphis got with LA's pick? I also thought Critt had massive potential. I'd like to see him on a team that doesn't bury him on the bench. He can play.

dangrant75
11-04-2008, 05:02 PM
dude Marc Gasol is an NBA starter cuz they haven't got anyone else. Give this a month or so and the Grizz will be right back to normal. STEAL STEAL STEAL. Didn't like it at the time, still don't. Reeks of Jerry West and his continued influence on the Grizz organization.

SAVAGE CLAW
11-05-2008, 12:26 AM
This shark attack thing is the funniest thing I've seen all week.
?
:confused:

b_rad23
11-05-2008, 04:36 PM
It ends up being Pau for cap room, Marc, Darrell Arthur, Javaris, and another 1st rounder so I'd say it's about equal and it may even end up benifiting Memphis more.