PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the Jacobs acquisition?

blueandteal
10-30-2008, 01:16 AM
Mike Jacobs is supposedly about to become a Royal. Can anyone explain how that makes sense with Teahen, Butler, Shealy and Kila all ready in house?

blueandteal
10-30-2008, 03:57 AM
Wait, maybe it does make sense. Something like..?

OF or Trade: Teahen

1B: Shealy vs L, Kila vs R
DH: Butler vs. L, Jacobs vs R

That's not so complicated.. it didn't make sense at first.

TheRedMarauder
10-30-2008, 10:56 AM
The Kansas City Star reports that the Royals are "moving closer to a deal with the Marlins for first baseman Mike Jacobs."

Billy Butler is entrenched at designated hitter, the Royals' top MLB-ready prospect is first baseman Kila Ka'aihue and Ryan Shealy is still around, so it's unclear why exactly they need the 28-year-old Jacobs and his .318 career on-base percentage. According to the newspaper, the Marlins are seeking a "low-cost reliever" such as Leo Nunez or Ramon Ramirez.

rotoworld

iam brett favre
10-30-2008, 01:03 PM
THURSDAY: It's official: the Royals have acquired Jacobs for Nunez, according to Dutton. It now seems that the Royals have a surplus of 1B/DH types.

-MLBTR

AP=MVP
10-30-2008, 02:41 PM
If your roster stays as it is now

1 DeJesus CF
2Aviles SS
3 Guillen LF
4 Jacobs 1B
5 Gordon 3B
6 Butler DH
7 Teahen RF
8 Buck C
9 Callaspo 2B

You guys should know you can never have too many good players, + Shealy is always hurt

Chiefs316
10-30-2008, 06:26 PM
probably will trade one of those 1b guys away and get what we can but obviously based on Jacobs numbers he is the right choice. He has pop and is more consistent with his pop than any of our other guys. and he is has the most experience at first base in the majors so don't be surprised if Shealy and Butler get put up for sale.

blueandteal
10-30-2008, 07:16 PM
I wouldn't say experience is an asset to Jacobs as a first basemen. He is the worst defensive first baseman in all of baseball. +/-, zone ratings, even fielding percentage.. the guy is awful over there.

So I'm assuming that Kila starts the year in AAA?

MastaPeacock
10-30-2008, 07:19 PM
This only makes sense if we are planning on spinning off Shealy onto another team or if they are planning on doing platoon duty. :confused:

I dont think Kila is gonna be in the bigs this year. I wonder if Shealy or Jacobs can handle left field...

Some guys on the kansas city star's site brought up a good point. This frees up the GM to drop Kila AND Butler to the minors if he isn't getting it done. Then you have Jacobs and Shealy for 1B and DH. Then, get butler's chubby *** back in LF like he was two years ago. I know he was terrible, but force him to stay out there. He'll run off a few rolls. By the time Kila is ready, we can trade off Shealy or Jacobs for a different positon and be set...

Hermie13
10-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Shealy or Butler is likely to get traded now....but we'll see......

Can't see Jacobs out in LF. He should be DHing.....

Sport
10-30-2008, 09:46 PM
This only makes sense if we are planning on spinning off Shealy onto another team or if they are planning on doing platoon duty. :confused:

I dont think Kila is gonna be in the bigs this year. I wonder if Shealy or Jacobs can handle left field...

Some guys on the kansas city star's site brought up a good point. This frees up the GM to drop Kila AND Butler to the minors if he isn't getting it done. Then you have Jacobs and Shealy for 1B and DH. Then, get butler's chubby *** back in LF like he was two years ago. I know he was terrible, but force him to stay out there. He'll run off a few rolls. By the time Kila is ready, we can trade off Shealy or Jacobs for a different positon and be set...

I highly doubt Jacobs gets traded anytime soon.

Its not a bad acquisition really, Ross Gload isnt much of an everyday player, and Billy Butler looked silly this year.

The Royals will probably trade Teahen, as it has been talked about.

Ilike Alex Gordon, he should be a star, at least hopefully for the Royals sake.

b_rad23
10-30-2008, 10:02 PM
As a Marlins fan IMO you definitely want him DHing. He cannot play LF- not even close to the guy above. He goes on short hot streaks and then long cold streaks. He's got pretty crazy lighttower power but is not close to a complete hitter and was too much of a defensive liability to even keep in the game in the late innings. You'll hate him but you'll be happy for those homeruns when he goes on streaks. Glad he's gone but good luck for you all.

rhensley3
10-30-2008, 11:52 PM
i would say this is the FIRST move. dayton moore wasted no time getting started with his off-season plans. jacobs is a nice addition...maybe the cold streaks will disappear once he gets a chance to work with the royals new hitting instructor. billy butler has worked out his mid-season troubles, and showed his ability off pretty well in september. i think he's the dh, with shealy and jacobs platooning at first...making gload the odd man out.

frugalscott
11-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Likke the Pirates, Orioles, Mariners and others of that ilk, the Royals seem to lack any coherent plan for building a team. The biggest mistake was letting Kaaihue sit on the bench for the major portion of September this season so they have no idea what they really have. He certainly showed both patience and production (and we know how rare that combination is in MLB) at two levels and seemed ready for a shot and the Royals instead chose to hang on to the hope that the Shealy deal wasn't a complete bust.

The big problem, beyond not knowing what Kaaihue is really capable of, is that making this deal now devalues their other parts. Teams now know that they have a glut and pretty much have to clear space. Any players they try to trade from that surplus are the players that (in other teams' eyes) even the Royals think aren't good enough to contribute.

I've seen articles trying to compare the Royals' chances of rebuilding to what the Rays have done and they are completely different worlds. The Rays had a clear vision of where they were going and went about patiently getting there. The Royals have done nothing to show they have any kind of clear plan and this latest deal is more proof.

MastaPeacock
11-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Likke the Pirates, Orioles, Mariners and others of that ilk, the Royals seem to lack any coherent plan for building a team. The biggest mistake was letting Kaaihue sit on the bench for the major portion of September this season so they have no idea what they really have. He certainly showed both patience and production (and we know how rare that combination is in MLB) at two levels and seemed ready for a shot and the Royals instead chose to hang on to the hope that the Shealy deal wasn't a complete bust.

The big problem, beyond not knowing what Kaaihue is really capable of, is that making this deal now devalues their other parts. Teams now know that they have a glut and pretty much have to clear space. Any players they try to trade from that surplus are the players that (in other teams' eyes) even the Royals think aren't good enough to contribute.

I've seen articles trying to compare the Royals' chances of rebuilding to what the Rays have done and they are completely different worlds. The Rays had a clear vision of where they were going and went about patiently getting there. The Royals have done nothing to show they have any kind of clear plan and this latest deal is more proof.

Sitting Kila and giving Shealy playing time was not a mistake. The Royals needed to know what they had in Shealy and were able to showcase him for potential trade partners. Kila went from AA to AAA to the majors in one year. I think giving him a brief taste to keep him motivated was a great idea, but there's no way he's ready for the majors after less than half a season at AAA. Rushing players is how we end up with Butler and Gordon playing like crap and Greinke having a mental breakdown for a year.

As for devaluation, I agree. Getting another 1B does devalue the existing ones a bit. However, Butler and Kila have options and can go to AAA while Shealy and Jacobs are in the majors. Then, if one of the prospects proves that they are major league ready, one of the guys in the majors can be spun off for something better or shifted to another position. I really think making Butler attempt the outfield again would be a good idea. He was drafted as a 3B, so he's got to have at least a modicum of athletic ability. I think once he gets on a diet and loses some pudge, he'll be more athletic and maybe play better. Putting him in the AAA outfield until he becomes a serviceable player would maybe get him a position on the field and if it fails, at least all the running will make him lose weight. Either way, we have room in the system for four 1B (if 2 go to DH).

The Royals have stumbled and bumbled for more than 20 years, so I can't blame you for thinking that they are a bunch of blind idiots. I sometimes wonder myself. However, they have actually put together some solid pieces in Greinke, Meche, Soria, the rest of the bullpen, DeJesus, and Guillen. The latter two are solid, not spectacular. If Jacobs hits another 32 HR's like last year, in a smaller park, then we might even reach .500. He fits into the rebuilding plan, as he's only 28. The only dumb move so far was Guillen, and he might not be so bad if he shows up in shape.

futureheisman
11-01-2008, 08:45 PM
just getting bodies in there you guys need something to work out for you

Zaunnie
11-01-2008, 11:15 PM
you can never have enough depth

rhensley3
11-02-2008, 05:29 PM
dayton moore indcated that he was going to improve the power on this team. he was NOT going to coninue to hope some of these guys "come around", like butler and gload and shealy. they are what they are, and whatever you think of them...they are on this team, not another team. if another team wants a good young 1st baseman...they are going to have to give value to get value. they also need to do it soon, because dayton moore's clock is ticking...and time is short.

frugalscott
11-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Giving a young player a chance to show what he's got in September is not rushing him to the majors. It's a useful and often used evaluation tool.

Kaaihue will already be 25 when next season starts. He hasn't been rushed by any means. He just finally got it. Whether he's got it enough to contribute on the major league level is something the team should have tried to determine. There is a lot of talk about ha ving him start '09 in AAA. Do you know the history, in general, of guys who are not ready to hit in the majors by the time they are 25? It's not that successful and when it is, it tends to be somewhat short term. Take Shealy for instance....

Speaking of Shealy, he's already 29. He has precious little success from a power/plate discipline standpoint out side of the thin air if Colorado and 20 games this September. All the team did by playing him that last month was give themselves one more glimmer of hope that maybe trading for him was not as dumb as it has looked to this point.

I know that as fans, you want to believe your team has a plan, but it's not one that seems easy to see or understand.

Jon93405
11-03-2008, 07:15 AM
I don't see a problem with the trade... it's not like you gave up much for him. I'd bet he'll see a lot of playing time, then be dealt at the deadline to a team needing power from the left side and your return will be better than Leo Nunez. Kila could use a half season at AAA.

By the way, as a Braves fan I sure hope Kila's younger brother, Kala, has similar success. Crazy high OBP's must be genetic.

rhensley3
11-03-2008, 09:41 AM
when dayton moore took over as general manager, the royals were a depleted team. we lacked talent at every position, had a staff full of cast-offs, and nothing in the farm system. to date, he has bolstered the farm system with many young arms and a lot of good young position players, we have a pitching staff capable of losing a talent like leo nunez without hurting us, we have a very good infield built entirely of younger players, and an outfield sporting a young david dejesus, who hit above .300 for the year, and jose guillen, who had an off year and still drove in nearly 100 whith only 20 homeruns. we now have several 1st basemen...that is true, but i dont look for that situation to exist for long. gmdm has gone on record saying he will make significant changes before spring training begins. be patient...all will become clearer in due time.

Chiefs316
11-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Ithink that Dayton and Trey find a way to get either Jacobs/butler in the lineup or Shealy/Jacobs in the lineup. Whether that means Jacob plays first or DH I don't know but Jacobs is going to be our strongest hitter or should be and Shealy and Butler still have hope left. with guillen coming back in shape our lineup should be much better hitting wise but we will see

rhensley3
11-05-2008, 09:53 AM
yes we should. gmdm isnt done yet, either. news out of kc says he is planning on being very active this winter, and we could see another move made very soon.