PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets Players Elect Melo and K-Mart as Co-Captains

DenButsu
10-29-2008, 08:34 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/nuggets/Martin_600_051012.jpg

From the Post (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_10847120?source=rss):

Nuggets: Martin, Anthony tabbed captains

The votes are in.

Kenyon Martin and Carmelo Anthony were elected Nuggets co-captains for this season, which begins tonight at Utah.

The captains were voted by the team.

Largely a symbolic position, captains are nonetheless seen as leaders of the team.

Anybody notice anyone noticeably missing from the selections?

Since the captains were chosen by the players, there's really nothing to read into this as far as the coach or FO is concerned. I'm guessing AI wanted to make a point of deferring the official leadership role to Melo, and asked the other guys not to vote for him. Purely speculation on my part, but I think there could be something to it.

theanswer418
10-29-2008, 08:53 PM
do they not think ai is capable of leading the team?

its clear iverson can lead a team i mean remeber when he took scrubs like the 76ers to the finals and was the only team that year to defeat LA in the playoffs...

DenButsu
10-29-2008, 09:08 PM
I don't think anybody thinks AI can't lead the team.

I think they've all come to an agreement (probably spearheaded by AI himself) that it's time for the torch to be passed to Melo, clearly and beyond question.

C-Dub
10-30-2008, 01:14 AM
i agree, i think he feels like everything will go over better if he lets Melo be the captain, more confidence and better all around environment for the players, and if your specualtion is correct, than Im happy with what AI maybe has done, its more like hes an advisor instead of the leader, he'll still speak up, but he's letting it be Melo's team. Good choice, and Im happy to say that Im not upset or dissapointed about this decision like I would have been a couple months ago

SlowMo
10-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Good captains. I like that K-Mart is co-captain. He really stepped it up last year and played the best Defense on the team. Since that's what we're about now (we'll see if it sticks), he definitely desrves to be co-cap.

too bad boozer got the best of him this game, but Boozer played great. Not much you can do when the guy is making those short jump hooks all night.