PDA

View Full Version : should we be worried about players going to europe?

number1nykfan25
10-29-2008, 06:42 PM
I am not sure, of course the pay is good but not everyone wants to leave america to live that life style. I think stern wanted to expand the nba to international but i think he might be starting to cause a problem and i think he should back off this path and focus on keeping stars like kobe in the NBA.

Rome
10-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Na we don't have to worry about it much. Some of our players go over there, some of there players come here.

I doubt any big names will go overseas.

MiamiHeat
10-29-2008, 06:49 PM
no big time player is going to play over there,
unless they are aging already and get offer money that they know
they aren't going to get from any team

number1nykfan25
10-29-2008, 07:00 PM
i think kobe would want to win a ring without Shaq before he went overseas but i think if a big name player went over ther it would cause a bit of a problem.

Rome
10-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Depends who the player was. Anyone really gonna miss Josh Childress? No.

The only way see Kobe going overseas is if he won a title without the big guy and was offered a to good to refuse deal.

number1nykfan25
10-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Depends who the player was. Anyone really gonna miss Josh Childress? No.

The only way see Kobe going overseas is if he won a title without the big guy and was offered a to good to refuse deal.

didnt some overseas team already offer him a deal for a ton he wouldn't be able to refuse? or was that just talk and nothing has been offered to him yet.

Wilson
10-29-2008, 07:17 PM
We shouldn't be worried at all. In the short term it might hurt the NBA, but a big name player would increase the sports exposure, resulting in more people playing, resulting in stronger overseas competition. This would result in better international games, resulting in yet more exposure, and the cycle would repeat. Obviously it won't happen over night, but in the long term, it's just going to result in more good players.

I want the NBA to play some meaningful games against European clubs, start putting something at stake. This would also increase exposure and fan interest and everything else I just listed. In the future it could lead to competitions similar to the UEFA Champions League, only with American and European clubs instead of just European clubs.

number1nykfan25
10-29-2008, 07:23 PM
We shouldn't be worried at all. In the short term it might hurt the NBA, but a big name player would increase the sports exposure, resulting in more people playing, resulting in stronger overseas competition. This would result in better international games, resulting in yet more exposure, and the cycle would repeat. Obviously it won't happen over night, but in the long term, it's just going to result in more good players.

I want the NBA to play some meaningful games against European clubs, start putting something at stake. This would also increase exposure and fan interest and everything else I just listed. In the future it could lead to competitions similar to the UEFA Champions League, only with American and European clubs instead of just European clubs.

why should the NBA play in meaningful games against European teams that isnt the olympics or exhibition games. Just because americans go over there to play doesnt mean they play for there team during the olympics though i am sure u knew that it would just make the nba play weaker.

Wilson
10-29-2008, 07:35 PM
why should the NBA play in meaningful games against European teams that isnt the olympics or exhibition games. Just because americans go over there to play doesnt mean they play for there team during the olympics though i am sure u knew that it would just make the nba play weaker.

Because it would hugely increase interest in basketball in places outside of America. The games at first would be fairly lopsided, like when NBA players first competed in the Olympics. But the fact that the European teams would be playing against the best competition in the world would surely increase the sport's exposure in Europe. This would create better competition down the line, because more youngsters will begin playing and falling in love with basketball, and growing up to excel at it.

JJ81
10-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Gasol's hoping to go and play for his old club, Barcelona, when he retires.

The NBA should stay as it is, no point expanding overseas

Wilson
10-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Gasol's hoping to go and play for his old club, Barcelona, when he retires.

The NBA should stay as it is, no point expanding overseas

How is there no point?

Expanding can do nothing but make the league stronger.

albertc86
10-29-2008, 09:43 PM
No. European leagues are good resorts for failed NBA players, but the NBA doesn't have to worry about the all-stars and superstars of today leaving. The most likely scenario would be them leaving overseas a year or two before they retire; they'd still be profitable. Not to mention, they'd make more over there, than staying in the NBA for "x" amount of years for the minimum.

SAVAGE CLAW
10-29-2008, 09:54 PM
the point on putting a Euro Division is avoiding a TRUE European league to appear, wich is being discussed at this point.

If that True European league ( in teh nba mold) is created, it will generate MUCH more interest and Money that actual euroleague does, and they may actually have the money to compete with nba money wise..

I know you are going to say, the best pelayers are here, the best game is here the best league is here.

Ok 2010 KObe gets offered 30 million euros a year, Kobe gets offered 40 millions euros a year wade gets offered 30 millions euros remember TAX FREE moneyetc etc Bosh, Stoudamire and they ALL decide to MAKE THE JUMP.

Then... which woudl be the better league?

Dont sleep on your glory or youll get a rude awakening.

An Nba office member recognised yesterday to a Spanish reporter the wont play more Nba team against euro teams in European soil, because they have lost too many already and they want to Mantain the Myth that Nba is Invincible ( guess that explains the referiing in the olympic final, somebeoyd should check the bank account of the referee).

As said before, Lobster that gets asleep is thrown away by the flow.

SteveNash
10-30-2008, 02:04 AM
Europe should be be more worried about Euro players going to the NBA.

Just look what happened to Marc Gasol's team.

SAVAGE CLAW
10-30-2008, 02:17 AM
^ Ha ha ha ha, what happened to Akasvay Girona had nothing to do with Marc Leaving.

Basically Teams in Europe work trough sponsors, the percentage of theam budget is like 10% from Merchandising 10% from gates incomings 30% Tv rights and 50% from Sponsors.

OK Akasvayu was a Buildings and Construction Bussines, there is a hughe global crisis for Construction and specially in spain.

The Enterprise went broke so they couldnt pay the money they owed to the team.

SteveNash
10-30-2008, 02:32 AM
^ Ha ha ha ha, what happened to Akasvay Girona had nothing to do with Marc Leaving.

Basically Teams in Europe work trough sponsors, the percentage of theam budget is like 10% from Merchandising 10% from gates incomings 30% Tv rights and 50% from Sponsors.

OK Akasvayu was a Buildings and Construction Bussines, there is a hughe global crisis for Construction and specially in spain.

The Enterprise went broke so they couldnt pay the money they owed to the team.

Great, now list the NBA teams that have failed during the past 50 years.

The team was mismanaged and spent too much money. I'm sure they team could have found another sponsor but not enough to sink money into a failing franchise with no future after Gasol left for the NBA. And that is the problem.

SAVAGE CLAW
10-30-2008, 02:36 AM
Barcelona survived the departure of Gasol, Jouventut Survived the departure of Rudy and will survive the departure of Rubio, Real Madrid survived Petrovic and Sabonis etc etc.

It was just that a team of No Ones started to overpay and then couldnt afford to overpay more.

This only happens in spain or italy tough because owners are not multimillionaries,

BUt Greek and Russian teams are indeed owned by spoiled rich kids , so theres no going broke for them.

SAVAGE CLAW
10-30-2008, 02:40 AM
OH and teams/Owners fail too in Usa, but the sistem is different, they dont dissapear, just get bought and move somwhere else.

Failed franchises?

Seattle sonics.

Vancouver Grizzlies.

Charlotte Hornets.

New Orleans Jazz.

Kansas city Kings.

San Diego CLippers.

BUffallo Braves.

San Diego Rockets.

Etc etc etc

SteveNash
10-30-2008, 04:30 AM
There is still a limited market and if they didn't care about losing money, why are there no players close to matching top NBA salaries?

Also, those teams didn't fail, they just relocated. And some of them could stay but were forced to move due to poor ownership wanting arenas being built for them (Seattle, Charlotte, New Orleans, etc.)

Much different situation. And I will just ask you who came off better this year? NBA getting Gasol, Fernandez, Gallinari, Dragic, etc. these guys are stars on their teams. All Europe has gotten were some 10-12th men and Childress and Childress looks like he wants to get back to the NBA eventually.

Hellcrooner
10-30-2008, 04:43 AM
In the long run i hope for a GLOBAL superleague with franchises in the top 32 cityes in the world.

I hope i can see that before i die. thats 30 :( to 60 , Hopefully years time for it to happen