PDA

View Full Version : Is Rosival overpaid?

messleetch94
10-29-2008, 06:10 PM
I see that a lot of people seem to believe that Rosival is overpaid. Take this into consideration:

When free agency started, the top defensemen were Campell, Redden, Rosival, Streit, Orpik, and Finger. Pretty much in that order. Chicago blew everybody out of the water with what they gave Campell. Even worse, Toronto gave Jeff Finger 4 mil a yr. Rosival got 5 mil per. So if you think he is overpaid, than he should be paid roughly 4mil (Finger) or less. And there is no way Finger is a better Dman than Rosival. Enough said. His contract is justified.

Desert Plains
10-31-2008, 07:06 PM
I think he's over-paid. You mentioned a bunch of other defensemen getting high salaries, and I think they are clearly overpaid as well. Starting with Campbell, Redden and Fingers.

And, keep in mind, because we've overpaid for all our recent free agent signings (Gomez, Drury, Rosi and Redden), we'll have a hard time fitting in Dubinsky next year when he becomes a restricted free agent.

SLY WILLIAMS
10-31-2008, 07:43 PM
We may have a few overpaid players but sometimes that is what you have to do to get the players you want on the open market

mlisica19
10-31-2008, 09:07 PM
The rangers will not have any problem agreeing to re sign dubinsky.

Where probably going to get rid of Kalinin. teh Cap space will increase and both Dubi and Zherdev will get ridicoulous contracts

Desert Plains
11-01-2008, 11:06 AM
The rangers will not have any problem agreeing to re sign dubinsky.

Where probably going to get rid of Kalinin. teh Cap space will increase and both Dubi and Zherdev will get ridicoulous contracts

Sounds like a great plan you have. But, if you figure both Dubinsky and Zherdev will get around $5M each (or more), the numbers don't compute.

If you add Gomez, Drury, Hank, Nasland, Redden and Rosi, plus $5M each for Dubinsky and Zherdev, we'll be at about $45M for 8 players next year. That would leave about $10 - 12M for the remaining 15 players. I think that's a big problem.

messleetch94
11-02-2008, 12:48 PM
The way the salary cap has been moving up, it has been rising an average of 6 mil every year. For arguements sake, lets say the cap will be around 63 million. After this year, they will have 10 players signed against the cap. Drury, gomez, Naslund, voros, Rissmiller, Redden, Rosival, Girardi, Staal, and Lundqvuist. They combined comes out to a 41,158,810 cap hit. If it goes over 60 mil, you're looking at 19 -21 million to spend. Zherdev, dubinsky, Betts, Sjostrom, Callahan, and Orr. Dubinsky is a RFA so the Rangers would have to match any offer to keep him. zherdev will bet about 5-6 mil. Let's not for get about the guys in Hartford either.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=NYR

Desert Plains
11-02-2008, 06:15 PM
2 points ...
1) Is Rissmiller signed for next year? I thought he signed a 1 year, $1M contract.
2) The cap has been going up the past few years, but the early reports have been that ticket sales are down this year (probably to do with the economy). So, if that continues, the cap will not be increasing next year because revenue will decrease from last season.

messleetch94
11-03-2008, 12:27 PM
2 points ...
1) Is Rissmiller signed for next year? I thought he signed a 1 year, $1M contract.
2) The cap has been going up the past few years, but the early reports have been that ticket sales are down this year (probably to do with the economy). So, if that continues, the cap will not be increasing next year because revenue will decrease from last season.

Rissmiller is signed for three years. The cap might not increase as much as it has the last couple of years, but it will increase. I think they should work out an extension with Dubinsky before the offseason. If they don't they risk losing him to a team that will pay him way tooo much for the Rangers to match, or they will be crippled salary cap wise by matching outrageous offers.