PDA

View Full Version : There was wisdom to the Camby trade, and it's coming into focus

DenButsu
10-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Kleiza move latest Nuggets positive

By Chris Tomasson
Rocky Mountain News
Just as Marcus Camby is quite a rebounder, Nuggets management has rebounded quite well so far from the surprising July move.
For starters, don't blame Nuggets executives Mark Warkentien and Rex Chapman if the trade of Camby to the Clippers for next to nothing blows up in the face of the team. It was an order from above, with owner Stan Kroenke seeking to possibly save more than $20 million when the dollar-for-dollar luxury tax is considered.
But the Nuggets have recovered as well as one might expect since the infamous July 15 deal. They got forward Renaldo Balkman in a trade from New York in a Knicks salary dump and they signed free-agent big man Chris Andersen to a minimum deal.
After Andersen looked strong in the preseason, I'm sure plenty of teams are hitting themselves for not taking a longer look at him.
Nuggets' brass also has done a fine job with a pair of young players they have wanted to retain. In August, they locked up restricted free agent J.R. Smith with a very reasonable three-year, $16.5 million contract.
Now, they're on the verge of signing Linas Kleiza to what has been reported to be a four-year, $25 million contract extension that would kick in next season. That's also a very reasonable contract.
While it might be too bad for Nuggets fans that the team had to give away Camby for nothing to do it (Camby actually has a very reasonable contract), at least they perhaps have restored financial sanity to Kroenke's liking. Kroenke, who rarely speaks to the media, has to be pleased with the reasonable dollars used to corral Smith and Kleiza.
If reports of the terms of the deal are accurate, Kleiza's contract extension, which has to be signed by Friday's deadline, will start at an amount around this season's midlevel exception of $5.558 million. The midlevel should go up slightly next summer.
With Allen Iverson's $20.8 million contract coming off the books, the Nuggets should be under the luxury-tax threshold next season. That's assuming they trade Iverson, let him walk after the season or re-sign him for a much-reduced salary.
Also, indications are the Nuggets are leaning toward picking up the $2.11 million option on Balkman for next season.
Throw it all together, and the Nuggets are now in line to have nine players under contract next season for a total of about $63 million. They can get down to about $60.3 million if they let Chucky Atkins go by only paying the $760,000 of his $3.48 million contract that is owed next season. That's a move that is very possible.
The luxury tax threshold is $71.15 million next season, and should go up a few million for next season. So the Nuggets should have a decent amount of wiggle room.

Here's a look at how the Nuggets' contract situation looks for 2009-10, assuming Kleiza is re-signed and Balkman retained:

Carmelo Anthony $15.78 million
Kenyon Martin $15.61 million
Nene $10.52 million
Linas Kleiza $5.5 million (approximate)
J.R. Smith $5.5 million (approximate)
Steven Hunter $3.7 million
Chucky Atkins $3.48 million ($760,000 guaranteed)
Renaldo Balkman $2.11 million
Sonny Weems $736,420

Nuggets in line to be free agents next summer (all unrestricted):

Chris Andersen
Anthony Carter
Juwan Howard
Allen Iverson
Dahntay Jonesrocky (http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/nuggets/archives/2008/10/kleiza_move_lat.html)

If only we could find a (non-Tinsley) way to move Hunter... maybe package him with a 1st?

C-Dub
10-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Id like to say we are probably going to resign AI for less at the end of the season and have him play PG after how much Karl is going to like using him there this season, but idk, it'd be cool if we could I think.
I really hope Anderson is back as far as now goes, he's almost been playing starter quality from what I've seen.

SUNDUNDIDIT
10-29-2008, 07:12 PM
More wisdom, consists of Camby bein hurt right now....Who would've ever thought????

IBleedPurple
10-29-2008, 07:58 PM
I think AI will walk to a contender if we don't get to at least the 2nd round or WC finals. Not the worst thing that could happen to the franchise.

I like JR and Kleiza's contracts, surprisingly low numbers. Kroenke will be itching to spend the money elsewhere in a year or two.

Anyone decent that would fit our team a FA next year? I know 2010 is the big year.

DenButsu
10-29-2008, 08:58 PM
AndersEn

Fixed. :cool:

C-Dub
10-30-2008, 01:10 AM
Fixed. :cool:

hahaha, wow, thanks, im just typing things up so fast that i keep spelling things wrong!