PDA

View Full Version : Is Greg Oden = Sam Bowie (injury prone)

lakersrock
10-29-2008, 01:05 AM
1st NBA game and he's already hurt.

Portland Trail Blazers center Greg Oden injured his right foot in the first half of the opening-night game against the Los Angeles Lakers and did not return. A Trail Blazers spokesman said Oden would have an X-ray on the foot.

Oden, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2007 draft, had microfracture surgery on his right knee in September of 2007 and missed all of last season. As of Tuesday night, exactly one year and four months after he was drafted, he has yet to score his first NBA point. He missed four field goals and two free throws in 13 minutes of play.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3670042

OY!
10-29-2008, 01:07 AM
not only that, 0 points.

JordansBulls
10-29-2008, 01:07 AM
Wow!! Unbelievable

Squad13
10-29-2008, 01:11 AM
He looks awful on offense he had some terrible attempts that made me laugh out loud.

lakersrock
10-29-2008, 01:13 AM
He looks awful on offense he had some terrible attempts that made me laugh out loud.

I guess that line about all his points coming from dunks was a pretty good prediction.

Run Gardner Run
10-29-2008, 01:13 AM
What the **** is wrong with this kid.

lakersrock
10-29-2008, 01:16 AM
I just think it's funny everyone called me stupid for saying Portland should've taken Durant given Oden's history of back, wrist, leg and other injury problems.

Blake
Roy
Durant
Aldridge
Przybilla

looks a lot better than

Blake
Roy
Outlaw
Aldridge
Przybilla

Squad13
10-29-2008, 01:18 AM
That guys seriously took some HGH or something....... He doesn't look normal

LAKERS 24/7
10-29-2008, 01:26 AM
It was just bad luck though, he landed on fisher's foot. Hopefully just a coincidence.

Sinattle
10-29-2008, 01:29 AM
Injuries happen when you're over 45 years old :D

DreamShaker
10-29-2008, 01:30 AM
He'll be fine....he played on it after he hurt it and was at half-mobility....that's why his shots looked bad....

pete_one
10-29-2008, 01:30 AM
its unfortunate that hes injured in his 1st game but he still has the whole season left to step his ****ing game up Greg DOH'!den

DerekRE_3
10-29-2008, 01:32 AM
Are people really calling him a bust after one game? :pity:

Squad13
10-29-2008, 01:34 AM
Way to soon to call him a bust.

DamnGoat
10-29-2008, 01:36 AM
No kidding...this thread is ridiculous.

He looked bad offensively, but it's ONE game...ONE. A little early to call the guy a bust.

FlawlessKB24
10-29-2008, 01:37 AM
yeah guys, stop jumping the gun.
he isnt a bust...........................yet.

EddieB
10-29-2008, 01:37 AM
It's a must to have a big man in todays game, but the only thing that sucks is they are injury prone.

DerekRE_3
10-29-2008, 01:40 AM
Hey Bynum only had 8 points and 3 boards...is he a bust?

pauljames
10-29-2008, 01:40 AM
I wouldent call him a bust. But he looks more limited offensively than I originally thought.

lakersrock
10-29-2008, 01:45 AM
Derek, you're the first person that used bust in this thread. By comparing him to Bowie, I was saying the Blazers took an injury-riddled C over a wing player. He's had health problems for years. He finally gets in a game and he could have possibly tore his foot up. Yes, it could be a sprain, but with his history, he could have done major damage too.

Squad13
10-29-2008, 01:46 AM
Hey Bynum only had 8 points and 3 boards...is he a bust?

Has Bynum actually put up good numbers in an NBA game? YES stupid question but good try at making a point.

Sixerlover
10-29-2008, 01:48 AM
First Pro NBA game and he's a bust?

Hilarious

DerekRE_3
10-29-2008, 01:49 AM
Has Bynum actually put up good numbers in an NBA game? YES stupid question but good try at making a point.

Wasn't really being serious....Just pointing out how it's dumb to call a player "Sam Bowie," by making another dumb comment.

lakersrock
10-29-2008, 01:52 AM
Wasn't really being serious....Just pointing out how it's dumb to call a player "Sam Bowie," by making another dumb comment.

Sam Bowie = Talented big man who was injured all the time

Kwame Brown = Bust

Are you too limited in NBA knowledge to know the difference in bust and injury plagued?

DerekRE_3
Derek, you're the first person that used bust in this thread. By comparing him to Bowie, I was saying the Blazers took an injury-riddled C over a wing player. He's had health problems for years. He finally gets in a game and he could have possibly tore his foot up. Yes, it could be a sprain, but with his history, he could have done major damage too.

Once could argue that Bowie was sort of a bust since he didn't put up the numbers a player should put up if he's a 2nd overall pick and couldn't stay healthy. For example, some call Joe Smith a bust, he's not a bad player, but he never lived up to being the 1st overall pick. Same thing with Kwame Brown, Kwame isn't that bad, but didn't live up to the hype. Bowie wasn't bad, but didn't live up to expectations either.

Also, comparing Oden to anyone after one game is a little too soon.

Lone Maverick
If anyone honestly believes Oden is a bust after one game, then they need to quit watching the NBA, because they are truly hopeless. One game isn't enough to determine anything, in any sport.

If he goes on a 5-15 game stretch where he averages 28 pts and 14 rebounds no one will remember this game.

I admit he didn't look good but thats the beauty of the NBA you can have a wack game or two because you have 80 more to look great in.

DerekRE_3
10-29-2008, 01:54 AM
Sam Bowie = Talented big man who was injured all the time

Kwame Brown = Bust

Are you too limited in NBA knowledge to know the difference in bust and injury plagued?

Haha...sorry I'll go read books. And to me...injury plagued and bust can go hand in hand.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
10-29-2008, 01:54 AM
No kidding...this thread is ridiculous.

He looked bad offensively, but it's ONE game...ONE. A little early to call the guy a bust.

Then people shouldn't expect him to come in and be tha Blazer-Savior.

horry1ur
10-29-2008, 01:57 AM
We all agree he sucked after one game
/thread

scandaless2
Mr. Glass

DerekRE_3
The bottom line is...it is WAY too soon to call Greg Oden Sam Bowie after one game...or Bill Russell, or Dikembe Mutumbo, or David Robinson, or anyone.

Sixerlover
10-29-2008, 01:58 AM

Savior? Since when did the Blazers need saving? He's another piece to the team in Portland, and should help them.

He's not the savior because he doesn't have to be.

lakersrock
10-29-2008, 01:59 AM
Once could argue that Bowie was sort of a bust since he didn't put up the numbers a player should put up if he's a 2nd overall pick and couldn't stay healthy. For example, some call Joe Smith a bust, he's not a bad player, but he never lived up to being the 1st overall pick. Same thing with Kwame Brown, Kwame isn't that bad, but didn't live up to the hype. Bowie wasn't bad, but didn't live up to expectations either.

Also, comparing Oden to anyone after one game is a little too soon.

It's actually 83 games....and he's played 13 minutes. I'd say he's much closer to Bowie than living up to the hype.

BTW, staying healthy and not putting up numbers are different. Kwame has had the chance to put up #1 pick numbers, but hasn't. Bowie was hurt all the time and couldn't. I'm comparing Oden to Bowie. I've said nothing of his talent level in this comparison. If he could stay healthy, he'd easily be a Top 10 C....too bad he hasn't and history says he probably won't either.

DerekRE_3
10-29-2008, 02:00 AM
Where did you get 83 games...And Oden is 20 years old. He's played one regular season game....way too soon to compare him to anyone.

lakersrock
10-29-2008, 02:03 AM
Where did you get 83 games...And Oden is 20 years old. He's played one regular season game....way too soon to compare him to anyone.

Are you tryng to say he wouldn't have played in 82 games last year had he not been hurt? So far in his career, he's been injured for 82.5 games out of 83.

DerekRE_3
10-29-2008, 02:05 AM
Are you tryng to say he wouldn't have played in 82 games last year had he not been hurt? So far in his career, he's been injured for 82.5 games out of 83.

Which does not make him Sam Bowie. He could go on to play 15 years and play an average of 75 games a year. NOBODY KNOWS.

lakersrock
10-29-2008, 02:08 AM
Which does not make him Sam Bowie. He could go on to play 15 years and play an average of 75 games a year. NOBODY KNOWS.

You know what, you're totally right. Screw the fact he missed an entire year for his knee, his legs are different lengths, he has back issues, he has had wrist surgery and now he's hurt again all by the young age of 20. That clearly shows how likely he is to play 15 years and average 75 games a year. :rolleyes:

DerekRE_3
10-29-2008, 02:10 AM
Do you know who Brett Favre is? When he was traded to the Packers the doctors said he would last only another 5-6 years because of a hip condition. Turns out he is one of the most durable quarterbacks to ever play in the NFL. Like I said....nobody knows...

Oh and Favre had a terrible debut...just like Oden. Now I'm not saying Oden is gonna be the savior of the Blazers franchise, and I'm not saying that he will redefine the Center position. But it's just too soon to say he will be plagued by injuries his entire career.

DamnGoat
10-29-2008, 02:17 AM
It's the media that's gone overboard with the Blazers love, but most sane fans know that team isn't winning anything this year.

To start calling someone a bad pick or a bust after one game and an injury is ridiculous. I half expected this kind of reaction when I saw he hurt his foot, but come on people...it's one freaking game.

DerekRE_3
10-29-2008, 02:20 AM
It's the media that's gone overboard with the Blazers love, but most sane fans know that team isn't winning anything this year.

To start calling someone a bad pick or a bust after one game and an injury is ridiculous. I half expected this kind of reaction when I saw he hurt his foot, but come on people...it's one freaking game.

Especially since the injury could be nothing. The x-rays haven't come back yet.

Squad13
10-29-2008, 02:24 AM

I know I was just giving you a hard time.

DerekRE_3
10-29-2008, 02:25 AM
I know I was just giving you a hard time.

:cry:

Squad13
10-29-2008, 02:25 AM
Do you know who Brett Favre is? When he was traded to the Packers the doctors said he would last only another 5-6 years because of a hip condition. Turns out he is one of the most durable quarterbacks to ever play in the NFL. Like I said....nobody knows...

Oh and Favre had a terrible debut...just like Oden. Now I'm not saying Oden is gonna be the savior of the Blazers franchise, and I'm not saying that he will redefine the Center position. But it's just too soon to say he will be plagued by injuries his entire career.

Favre's first game he brought the packers back for a victory. FAIL

DreamShaker
10-29-2008, 02:27 AM

He out-rebounded Bynum:p

DerekRE_3
10-29-2008, 02:29 AM

His debut in the NFL wasn't with the Packers it was with the Falcons.

His debut with the Falcons....0-4, 2 INT, and a sack. FAIL goes to you sir.

BoltLakerPadre
10-29-2008, 02:31 AM
Way too soon to call the young guy a bust.

DreamShaker
10-29-2008, 02:31 AM

He played for the Falcons in his first game....

BoltLakerPadre
10-29-2008, 02:32 AM
But living in Portland, and surrounded by Blazer fans all day, I can also tell you it's too soon to call him a star, or the Blazer's a dynasty either.

They'll have a really tough first week, but then again playing in the west is going to be really tough in general.

DerekRE_3
10-29-2008, 02:32 AM
He played for the Falcons in his first game....

Thank you.

OY!
10-29-2008, 02:36 AM
His debut in the NFL wasn't with the Packers it was with the Falcons.

His debut with the Falcons....0-4, 2 INT, and a sack. FAIL goes to you sir.

he never did get injured, he only played 1 game.

he got traded to the packers and every game he played well and so on and so fourth. Also Farve never got injured and was out for a year and stuff. FAIL back at you.

DerekRE_3
10-29-2008, 02:38 AM
Actually, I watched the In Your Own Words for Brett Favre...and he suffered from the same hip ailment that Bo Jackson had. Which made doctors think that his career would be short...like Bo Jacksons.

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel and other sources, during the physical after the trade, Favre was diagnosed with avascular necrosis, the same degenerative hip condition that ended Bo Jackson's career, and doctors recommended he be failed. Wolf overruled them.[13]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Favre

Second City
10-29-2008, 02:42 AM
Damn, this kid can not stay healthy. I know he looks like a 40 year old dude, but that doesn't mean that he has to have the body of a 40 year old.

Lakersfan2483
10-29-2008, 02:59 AM
It's too bad Oden can't stay healthy, he has a lot of potential. I would have liked to have seen him play the entire game.

Hellcrooner
10-29-2008, 04:06 AM
At least bowen played some good games and din nice stats for the blazers before breaking up, then he went on to have a nice career as a starter until he came to the lakers.....:S

ODen has done NOTHIn until now.And im not Optimistic about his chances...not only has he missed an entire nba seasn and injured in his first game, didnt he lose half an ncaa season injured too?...

JayW_1023
10-29-2008, 05:29 AM
LOLing at the thread starter. Oden hasn't even played a full season yet and he is already the next Sam Bowie. How easy people jump to conclusions these days.

That said however, somehow I expected Oden to get injured again early in the season. It is said not to be a serious injury though.

goku
10-29-2008, 06:58 AM
he will have to develope a back to the basketpost game now i think it will be a little hard for them to make the play-offs

brodawgs
10-29-2008, 08:12 AM
O for oden!

michaellui11
10-29-2008, 08:43 AM
Mr. Glass
haha
agree

JordansBulls
10-29-2008, 08:48 AM
It would be nice to see Oden have a good career and not be injured. I would like to see if Portland will be that team of the future in the west to show that you can build a team by the draft.

Raidaz4Life
10-29-2008, 08:52 AM
Injuries happen when you're over 45 years old :D

lol funny you mention that considering my 9 year old brother saw his picture on TV yesterday and asked how old he was and I said 20 and he didn't believe me:D

cubulls
10-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Sam Bowie 2.0 will be lucky to play half the games this season.

ackar
10-29-2008, 09:54 AM
those who don't learn from history is doomed ot repeat it. Portalnd you did it again that what it looks like so far.

Taking size over skill.:cry:

$KnicksAndKobe$
10-29-2008, 10:00 AM
I'll give him a year before I call him a bust

Celtics17Rings
10-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Is greg oden a bust? he really had a disgusting performance against the lakers i just hope hes not the next Kwame brown and i just hope his career wont be such a injury career.

DenButsu
10-29-2008, 10:13 AM
are people really calling him a bust after one game? :pity:

+1

way to soon to call him a bust.

+1

JordansBulls
10-29-2008, 10:17 AM
renamed the title of the thread as well.

BoSelecta!!!
10-29-2008, 10:30 AM
he'd better come back and give me a double-double next game!

lakersrock
10-29-2008, 12:09 PM
LOLing at the thread starter. Oden hasn't even played a full season yet and he is already the next Sam Bowie. How easy people jump to conclusions these days.

That said however, somehow I expected Oden to get injured again early in the season. It is said not to be a serious injury though.

Yeah, that's the point. You guys just act like he was hanging out last season. No...he was INJURED. Is it that hard to get it through some flesh and bone to a brain? He's missed 82.5 of 83 games. What reasoning do you have to say he'll be healthy, because he's missed virtually every game since being drafted? You know what my reasoning is saying he'll just stay hurt. It's common knowledge how many injury problems he's had.

(LOLing at me is ******** though, because I'm not the only one saying it. A writer from Portland was just on SC talking about him being the next Bowie.)

Cadarn
10-29-2008, 12:11 PM
The guy misses an entire season and then gets injured in his debut. It's moronic to not call him a bust.

Tblaze
10-29-2008, 12:31 PM
It's really dumb to call someone a bust after one game, I wouldn't even start a list with all of the horrendous debuts some later to be stars made. On top of that Oden was mainly brought in as a defensive presence, a monster in the middle, a rebounder. Not as 1st scoring option, they don't need 20 PPG from him, 10-15 ppg would be fine. Besides the injury he had today could've happened to anyone, he stepped on someones foot. It's just unlucky. This is his first season, would people have reacted the same if this game had taken place last year without all the microfracture. I'm sure it wouldn't have made it such a big deal as people are making it now. So that's the pressure he has to cope with, and has to get used to. People expect him to be a monster but he needs time to adjust, as does every player in the league.

DenButsu
10-29-2008, 12:34 PM
The guy misses an entire season and then gets injured in his debut. It's moronic to not call him a bust.

:sigh:

Bottom line: None of us know yet. He could play his next game, and end up playing 81 this season.

The worst thing about this thread is that pretty much people are out for blood here. My sense is that the bust-oids want to see him injured. That's ****ed up.

BkOriginalOne
10-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Does that make Kevin Durant Michael Jordan?

$KnicksAndKobe$
10-29-2008, 01:00 PM
yes^

Vidball
10-29-2008, 01:07 PM
I just hope the guy can stay healthy...I mean, if he's really as old as he looks he might have arthritis :D

Btw, I heard Oden's social security number is "1"...is that true?

G-Funk
10-29-2008, 02:22 PM
No but I will call him injury prone.

marvILLous
10-29-2008, 02:29 PM
He had a nice block at least :)

GregOden#1
10-29-2008, 02:33 PM
If anyone didn't watch the game...Oden got injured in a freak accident and suffered a sprain. If Dwight Howard was there...he'd have sprained his ankle too. If it was Michael Jordan...he'd have sprained his ankle...if it was Iron Man....he'd have sprained his ankle. Calling him injury prone after a freak accident that isn't supposed to be serious is plain ********. Alot of you are just looking for excuses to call him a bust, because he doesn't play for your favorite team.

Gibby23
10-29-2008, 02:39 PM
If anyone didn't watch the game...Oden got injured in a freak accident and suffered a sprain. If Dwight Howard was there...he'd have sprained his ankle too. If it was Michael Jordan...he'd have sprained his ankle...if it was Iron Man....he'd have sprained his ankle. Calling him injury prone after a freak accident that isn't supposed to be serious is plain ********. Alot of you are just looking for excuses to call him a bust, because he doesn't play for your favorite team.

Wasn't he hurt in his first year at Ohio State? Wasn't he hurt in his first year in the NBA? Didn't he just get hurt in the first half of his first NBA game while reaching down to grab the ball that he couldn't hold on to after missing 2 shots?

G-Funk
10-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Wasn't he hurt in his first year at Ohio State? Wasn't he hurt in his first year in the NBA? Didn't he just get hurt in the first half of his first NBA game while reaching down to grab the ball that he couldn't hold on to after missing 2 shots?

It's like all these people saying that Oden is the best big or better than Bynum witch in fact he hasn't played one full game but when people call him injury prone it's not ok cause he hasn't played a full game.

Hopefully it's not serious at all I really like the kid and hope he comes back quick .

GregOden#1
10-29-2008, 02:43 PM

You mean didn't he get hurt by landing on Derek Fisher's foot as Bynum was applying pressure from behind? Yeah anyone who gets injured doing that is injury prone :rolleyes:

You're also wrong. He didn't take any shots until he had injured himself.

Gibby23
10-29-2008, 02:51 PM
You mean didn't he get hurt by landing on Derek Fisher's foot as Bynum was applying pressure from behind? Yeah anyone who gets injured doing that is injury prone :rolleyes:

You're also wrong. He didn't take any shots until he had injured himself.

He was going for a rebound from one of his own missed shots when he got hurt. If a guy get hurt every year, he is injury prone, it doesn't matter how it happened, he got hurt last night, last year, and the the year before that, so he is prone to injury in his early career.

GregOden#1
10-29-2008, 03:12 PM
He was going for a rebound from one of his own missed shots when he got hurt. If a guy get hurt every year, he is injury prone, it doesn't matter how it happened, he got hurt last night, last year, and the the year before that, so he is prone to injury in his early career.

So if someone shoots you, your in the hospital for a month. 2 months later you get shot again, your back in the hospital. According to you it doesn't matter how you get injured, even if it has nothing to do with frailty or athleticism, your still injury prone.

Gibby23
10-29-2008, 03:15 PM
So if someone shoots you, your in the hospital for a month. 2 months later you get shot again, your back in the hospital. According to you it doesn't matter how you get injured, even if it has nothing to do with frailty or athleticism, your still injury prone.

Ok.

Vidball
10-29-2008, 03:17 PM
If anyone didn't watch the game...Oden got injured in a freak accident and suffered a sprain. If Dwight Howard was there...he'd have sprained his ankle too. If it was Michael Jordan...he'd have sprained his ankle...if it was Iron Man....he'd have sprained his ankle. Calling him injury prone after a freak accident that isn't supposed to be serious is plain ********.

Not exactly true...

Oden said he landed on Derek Fisher's foot while going after a rebound. If only it were that simple. Players land on other players' feet all the time and usually it's nothing worse than a sprained ankle.

Oden came down on his foot awkwardly, leading to his early departure.

The problem is, Fisher didn't recall it that way.

"I don't remember a 7-footer on my foot," Fisher said.

If a 7-footer landed on him, even if he felt only the weight of half of his 285 pounds, that would be something Fisher would remember. For a long time.

Replays indicate that Oden landed with the weight on the front of his foot, then perhaps his heel hit the top of Fisher's foot, then Oden's foot twisted to the right, after Fisher had moved away.

That makes it a little more ominous. So is the fact that initial X-rays were inconclusive.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=oden-081029

Sounds more like Oden might just have some lax ligaments that have trouble supporting nearly 300 pounds. Hopefully its nothing, but stating it would have happened to anyone is false. Hopefully it's not serious...we should know soon. He is literally in the MRI machine right now.

oshea225
10-29-2008, 03:27 PM
if you have wrist surgery that delays the beginning of your freshman season, then have knee surgery that postpones your entire rookie season, then sprain your foot in the first 3 minutes of your nba career, you are injury prone, plain and simple.

a definition of "prone" - having a tendency (to). oden, having had 2 serious injuries and now one that has not yet been fully diagnosed, clearly "has a tendency" to be injured. he IS injury prone.

GregOden#1
10-29-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm gonna believe what Oden says over what Fisher says. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=oden-081029

a definition of "prone" - having a tendency (to). oden, having had 2 serious injuries and now one that has not yet been fully diagnosed, clearly "has a tendency" to be injured. he IS injury prone.

Freak accidents = not anyones fault. Sorry but getting hit by lightning is a freak accident. You getting hit doesn't make you prone to getting hit with lightning.

Gibby23
10-29-2008, 03:35 PM
I'm gonna believe what Oden says over what Fisher says. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=oden-081029

Freak accidents = not anyones fault. Sorry but getting hit by lightning is a freak accident. You getting hit doesn't make you prone to getting hit with lightning.

If you get hit 3 times in 3 years it does.

GregOden#1
10-29-2008, 03:35 PM
If you get hit 3 times in 3 years it does.

clehmun
10-29-2008, 03:40 PM

i like the fact that you're trying to backup your player. but you're making yourself look stupid.
it's a basketball game, and it's an ankle injury. stop trying to compare it to gun shots and lightning :rolleyes:

greg oden is injury prone up to this point. i don't see how anyone can argue otherwise.
how can you prove last night's injury was a freak accident?
to be honest with you, with his history of injuries in college, and how he missed his full season last year, even without the "freak accident" yesterday, he is STILL injury prone. the injury yesterday was just another reason to think he is, and it just adds on to the history of injuries oden has.

oshea225
10-29-2008, 03:41 PM

ok and getting hit with lightning is indeed a freak accident. landing on someones foot in basketball? not a freak accident by any means. you simply cant compare getting struck by lightning and landing on someone's foot.

also, oden has had 3 significant injuries that i already listed. if someone was hit by lightning 3 times, dont you then think that they are prone to getting hit by lightning? in the same sense, if someone suffers twoserious injuries and one that we dont yet know how serious it is, isnt he then prone to injury? yes.

GregOden#1
10-29-2008, 03:44 PM
i like the fact that you're trying to backup your player. but you're making yourself look stupid.
it's a basketball game, and it's an ankle injury. stop trying to compare it to gun shots and lightning :rolleyes:

greg oden is injury prone up to this point. i don't see how anyone can argue otherwise.
how can you prove last night's injury was a freak accident?
to be honest with you, with his history of injuries in college, and how he missed his full season last year, even without the "freak accident" yesterday, he is STILL injury prone. the injury yesterday was just another reason to think he is, and it just adds on to the history of injuries oden has.

If he was injury prone we woudn't know until much later, where his body starts to break down and he loses his athleticism. Him getting what looks to be a minor tweak in his ankle after a freak injury that would have happened to anyone does constitute as an injury that would traditionally happen to someone who is injury prone.

But what do I know. Maybe Oden simply attracts freak accidents that would happen to anyone, maybe he defies the laws of probability. Maybe, but probably not. It's more likely your making mountains out of ant mounds.

GregOden#1
10-29-2008, 03:45 PM
ok and getting hit with lightning is indeed a freak accident. landing on someones foot in basketball? not a freak accident by any means. you simply cant compare getting struck by lightning and landing on someone's foot.

also, oden has had 3 significant injuries that i already listed. if someone was hit by lightning 3 times, dont you then think that they are prone to getting hit by lightning? in the same sense, if someone suffers twoserious injuries and one that we dont yet know how serious it is, isnt he then prone to injury? yes.

Maybe, and there really is only one possible answer, he's just been unlucky so far.

oshea225
10-29-2008, 03:50 PM
If he was injury prone we woudn't know until much later, where his body starts to break down and he loses his athleticism. Him getting what looks to be a minor tweak in his ankle after a freak injury that would have happened to anyone does constitute as an injury that would traditionally happen to someone who is injury prone.

But what do I know. Maybe Oden simply attracts freak accidents that would happen to anyone, maybe he defies the laws of probability. Maybe, but probably not. It's more likely your making mountains out of ant mounds.

..says the man who just compared landing on someone's foot during basketball to getting struck by lightning, getting shot, and a freak accident. righttt

oshea225
10-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Maybe, and there really is only one possible answer, he's just been unlucky so far.

AND injury prone. i really dont understand why you cant accept it? he's injury prone. get over it. will it change? hopefully b/c personally im a fan of his, but who's to know

GregOden#1
10-29-2008, 03:52 PM
AND injury prone. i really dont understand why you cant accept it? he's injury prone. get over it. will it change? hopefully b/c personally im a fan of his, but who's to know

How do you change being injury prone....being injured frequently and being prone to injury are two completely different things...

Gibby23
10-29-2008, 03:56 PM
How do you change being injury prone....being injured frequently and being prone to injury are two completely different things...

So far he is injury prone and being injured frequently and prone to injury are the same thing.

clehmun
10-29-2008, 03:58 PM

first of all, a player does not have to be old to be injury prone. the style of play (g-wallace, dwade), body build (yao, camby), previous injuries (tmac), and 20 other different reasons.
a player's ability to play through injuries is also another thing. not even one plays through injury like AI, dirk, or kobe.
not everyone heals the same speed. it might take a player 2 weeks to come back from sprained ankles, and might take another 3 days.

second, stop calling a sprained ankle a "freak injury". it's not. shaun livingston's injury was a basketball "freak injury". not a sprained ankle. some players (usually guards) can just tape their ankles and play again. bigmen because of their weights usually get more serious when he have ankle injuries. thats why bigmen are usually more injury prone.

you can only blame "freak injuries" or bad luck so many times. sooner or later, you'll have to face the fact that your favourite player is injury prone.

anwaisa
10-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Who was the white boy in blue jersey that made Kobe Bryant felt to his butt and when was that???

clehmun
10-29-2008, 04:03 PM

LOL you don't seem to get it.
how do you change being injury prone?

again...

style of play (gwallace), get in better shape (shaq), play smarter basketball (wade), know your limits (yao), or just suck it up (iverson).

fast_break
10-29-2008, 04:06 PM
who knows... he may not be injury prone

but so far, he sure as hell seems like it

oshea225
10-29-2008, 04:08 PM

so far his career has been one that can absolutely be described as one that was injury prone. however, lets say he never suffers another injury for the rest of his career (doubtful), then he is no longer injury prone, in other words he is no longer someone who has a tendency for being injured.

ameer9521
10-29-2008, 04:11 PM
its unfortunate that hes injured in his 1st game but he still has the whole season left to step his ****ing game up Greg DOH'!den

i'm a bulls fan but i like oden. i think he's going to be a hell of a player in a few years but that........is .....by.....far the funniest ish i read all day!!!!! greg DOH'den!!! lmfaorof!!!!!!!!!

Gibby23
10-29-2008, 04:22 PM
This is his second NBA season and he has more injuries than points in his career so far.

_Sn1P3r_
10-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Man sucks he went down already. he was supposed to be the 'second coming' of big men. Tough situation he's in right now.

king4day
10-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Not yet. But given his past, I wouldn't bet against it.
I read it's only a mild sprain, so hopefull he doesn't catch these bad breaks anymore.

ameer9521
10-29-2008, 04:34 PM
This is his second NBA season and he has more injuries than points in his career so far.

lmao!! you guys are on a roll. i have to visit this forum more often. lol

jphxsuns
10-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Savior? Since when did the Blazers need saving? He's another piece to the team in Portland, and should help them.

He's not the savior because he doesn't have to be.

yeha...oden isnt the savior...because rudy fernandez is! that guy is guna b amazin. im so pissed the suns let him go :(

lakersrock
10-29-2008, 04:44 PM
:sigh:

Bottom line: None of us know yet. He could play his next game, and end up playing 81 this season.

The worst thing about this thread is that pretty much people are out for blood here. My sense is that the bust-oids want to see him injured. That's ****ed up.

Out for blood? I drafted him in my fantasy league in the 5th round. I want him to be good, but you have to face it when the guy gets hurt or has surgery every single year.

No but I will call him injury prone.

So being randomly shot over and over is the same as wrist surgery, knee surgery (both of which were natural injuries from his body not being so great), a bad back and legs being different lengths are the same?

lmao!! you guys are on a roll. i have to visit this forum more often. lol

That's what we're here for. :D

Keep in mind he's been eligible for 3,984 minutes in his career and he's played in 13.

Philapsychosis
10-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Give him a break, he has suffered through the depression. Worked in a coal mine half of his life. Guy finally gets a chance to make something of his life, get his family out of that Miners town once and for all.

GregOden#1
10-29-2008, 05:20 PM
so far his career has been one that can absolutely be described as one that was injury prone. however, lets say he never suffers another injury for the rest of his career (doubtful), then he is no longer injury prone, in other words he is no longer someone who has a tendency for being injured.

Has he been injured frequently? Yes, is he injury prone? No.

So being randomly shot over and over is the same as wrist surgery, knee surgery (both of which were natural injuries from his body not being so great)

Show me proof where it says Oden got those injuries because he is frail.

DerekRE_3
10-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Out for blood? I drafted him in my fantasy league in the 5th round. I want him to be good, but you have to face it when the guy gets hurt or has surgery every single year.

So being randomly shot over and over is the same as wrist surgery, knee surgery (both of which were natural injuries from his body not being so great), a bad back and legs being different lengths are the same?

That's what we're here for. :D

Keep in mind he's been eligible for 3,984 minutes in his career and he's played in 13.

They don't even have the x rays back from his most current injury. You have no idea if he is going to need surgery yet. Which is why it's too soon to say he is "Sam Bowie" or any other injury prone player. Yes, he was out all of last year, but he is still just 20 years old. Amare had microfracture surgery in his early 20's, and is back to normal. Nobody can say he is going to be injury prone, and nobody can say that he will go on to play 75 games a year for the next 15 years. It's just too soon to say anything.

nygiants242
10-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Some of his hookshots.. honestly I was like are you kidding me?
Rose > Oden for ROY hands down now

G-Funk
10-29-2008, 05:33 PM

In a matter of 3 years.

Gibby23
10-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Has he been injured frequently? Yes, is he injury prone? No.

Show me proof where it says Oden got those injuries because he is frail.

Thats your opinion, and most people think he has been injury prone so far.

How about you show us some proof that the injuries are not because of how frail he is.

GregOden#1
10-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Thats your opinion, and most people think he has been injury prone so far.

How about you show us some proof that the injuries are not because of how frail he is.

That's like asking someone to prove god doesn't exist, you cant shift the burden of proof onto me. You make the claim, you bring the proof.

29$JerZ
10-29-2008, 06:04 PM
1 - Oden's first game was against Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum
2 - Coming off of surgery
3 - Never known as an offensive player
4 - Got hurt, can happen to anyone.

He still has a long way to go, he is far from a Bust. Can't base his career for 1 quarter of a game.

Gibby23
10-29-2008, 06:20 PM
That's like asking someone to prove god doesn't exist, you cant shift the burden of proof onto me. You make the claim, you bring the proof.

All I can prove is that in his 2nd NBA season he averages 0ppg 0%FG in 13mpg.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/greg_oden/

Vidball
10-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Looking at the replay, he definitely DID NOT land on Fisher's foot...just like Fisher said.

Oden rolled it himself...probably lax ligaments. Very common in big men.

junion
10-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Although he was the opponent, i was really disappointed to see him get injured.

we can't call him the blazer-savior, and we can't call him a bust. many players take 3-4 years before they're actually good on an nba level. its very unfortunate that he got injured - he does seem injury prone, but i think it's just a coincidence.

he landed on derek fisher's foot, and twisted an ankle - it can happen to anyone. he would be an injury prone bust if he was just taking it to the basket, and hurt his foot just by doing an aggresive move - but this was a freak accident.

i was really hoping to watch him battle with bynum, shaq, howard, duncan, and all those 'first two weeks' people they're scheduled for. bynum, oden, howard, al jefferson, are just a few young centers i was hoping to see go against each other. bynum and oden being at the top of my list.

oden scoring no points in his very first game doesn't mean he's a bust, he had a block too. they played the defending western conference champs to start off - and that's not easy. if his first games was against the bottom two teams in the nba, then i'm sure he would have done more damage (to the opponent)

i wouldn't call oden a bust, nor a savior... but he does seem a little injury prone, but that's just from bad luck - not lack of training.

Lebron23
10-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Yao Ming also had zero points in his first game in the NBA.

number1nykfan25
10-29-2008, 07:05 PM
he might have come back to early. durrant isn't looking like such a bad second pick no is he? Of course if the blazzers picked durrant they would have been bashed for not picking oden until all of this. they were in a tough position with that first pick.

Tblaze
10-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Oden is known for being injury prone, but honestly I can't see where all the bashing on him is coming from.. The injury he suffered in yesterdays game could've happened to ANYONE, he was just very unlucky it happened in his first game in the nba. His injurys in college and the microfracture thing were real signs of being injury prone, but the injury in yesterdays game was just a fluke. And saying he's a bust over such a thing meens you're really being ignorant.

On top of that the blazers really don't need him to be a "savior", they have 3 other players that have all-star potential and who can score. So yes the lakers took us back down to earth, but it's good that it happened this early. So we know nothing comes for granted and we have to continue to improve. And talent alone will give you nothing at all. Fernandez looked good once again though, the boy can play.

I really do feel bad for Oden cause he's such a good guy. And what happened yesterday was one of the most unlucky situations that could've happened. But people on here are overreacting.

And about selecting Durant, it wouldn't have made any sense at all. The blazers needed inside presence badly, and they already had some nice forwards in Outlaw and Webster. ANY gm in the league would have chosen Greg Oden if they had been in control in portland at that time. Portland made the right pick, and it's easy to say they made the "wrong decision" afterwards, well wouldn't we be some perfect gms if we could look into the future eh? I'm pretty sure not a many people would've taken Durant over Oden. I'm sure now all people will be jumping up saying they would, but trust me, back then you wouldn't.

Afridi786
10-29-2008, 07:57 PM
He's not a bust but he is injury prone.

He's big, strong, can rebound, block shots, his offense consists of nothing but dunking, he's the next Dwight if he can stay healthy.

JordansBulls
10-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Oden is known for being injury prone, but honestly I can't see where all the bashing on him is coming from.. The injury he suffered in yesterdays game could've happened to ANYONE, he was just very unlucky it happened in his first game in the nba. His injurys in college and the microfracture thing were real signs of being injury prone, but the injury in yesterdays game was just a fluke. And saying he's a bust over such a thing meens you're really being ignorant.

On top of that the blazers really don't need him to be a "savior", they have 3 other players that have all-star potential and who can score. So yes the lakers took us back down to earth, but it's good that it happened this early. So we know nothing comes for granted and we have to continue to improve. And talent alone will give you nothing at all. Fernandez looked good once again though, the boy can play.

I really do feel bad for Oden cause he's such a good guy. And what happened yesterday was one of the most unlucky situations that could've happened. But people on here are overreacting.

And about selecting Durant, it wouldn't have made any sense at all. The blazers needed inside presence badly, and they already had some nice forwards in Outlaw and Webster. ANY gm in the league would have chosen Greg Oden if they had been in control in portland at that time. Portland made the right pick, and it's easy to say they made the "wrong decision" afterwards, well wouldn't we be some perfect gms if we could look into the future eh? I'm pretty sure not a many people would've taken Durant over Oden. I'm sure now all people will be jumping up saying they would, but trust me, back then you wouldn't.

I think people only bring it up because of past mistakes from Portland in the draft so they want to make it seem like it follows them.

GregOden#1
10-29-2008, 08:37 PM
He's out 2-4 weeks according to Portland radio. KP should be on soon to confirm.

cmellofan15
10-29-2008, 08:40 PM
LOL Deja Vu!!! And they said Al Hordford wasn't better than him. :horse:

GregOden#1
10-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Oden dominated Horford when they played...

Lakers_ftw
10-29-2008, 08:53 PM
yeha...oden isnt the savior...because rudy fernandez is! that guy is guna b amazin. im so pissed the suns let him go :(

Exactly, I don't think it will be Oden who makes biggest rookie impact for Blazers. Fernandez looked great.

lakersrock
10-30-2008, 12:01 AM

Actually, quite a few GMs talked about how bad his body scared them.

So in conclusion, he isn't a bust, but he is injury prone.

In the last three years he has had back problems, legs with different lengths, wrist surgery that wasn't caused by an accident, knee surgery that wasn't caused by an accident and now he's hurt his foot for 2-4 weeks (he DIDN'T land on a foot either, his foot buckled)....after slightly hurting the same ankle in the preseason. How many more times does he need to get hurt to be injury prone?

lakers4sho
10-30-2008, 12:03 AM
Oden is injury prone...get that straight. Look up prone in the dictionary if you wish.

GspLAL
10-30-2008, 12:07 AM
A guy with his height and size is easy to be injury prone, all that muscle and mass coming down on his bones wears you down.

Tblaze
10-30-2008, 07:22 AM

In the last three years he has had back problems, legs with different lengths, wrist surgery that wasn't caused by an accident, knee surgery that wasn't caused by an accident and now he's hurt his foot for 2-4 weeks (he DIDN'T land on a foot either, his foot buckled)....after slightly hurting the same ankle in the preseason. How many more times does he need to get hurt to be injury prone?

yes and I'm sure Pritchard was a bit scared too, but I think in the situation portland was in, with their roster, you have to go with the big man. I still think they made the right choice. It just needs time.

And I did say he's injury prone in my post, there's no reason to deny that because it's very clear he is.

JordansBulls
10-30-2008, 08:30 AM
yes and I'm sure Pritchard was a bit scared too, but I think in the situation portland was in, with their roster, you have to go with the big man. I still think they made the right choice. It just needs time.

And I did say he's injury prone in my post, there's no reason to deny that because it's very clear he is.

Well Roy, Durant and Aldridge would have been good as well, but Roy, Aldridge and Oden seems better.

GregOden#1
10-30-2008, 09:02 AM

Nobody knows wether or not his legs being slightly different lengths will cause injury later. That isn't a problem until it becomes one. He doesn't have back problems, a scout at Orlando said he may have a disk in his back, that may cause problems later. Neither of those are injuries.

And I havent found any proof that his wrist surgery or his knee surgery were not caused by accident. I'm assuming you saw Oden bang his knee into the wall until he needed surgery, hopefully you had a video recorder so I may see.

LakerzDQ
10-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Trailblazers picked Drexler and then Bowie.
Trailblazers pick Roy and then Oden.

history repeating itself?

GregOden#1
10-31-2008, 12:30 AM
I laugh at the person who said "after closer inspection of the replay, it is clear he didn't land on Fisher's foot". How much of a hater do you have to be to lie like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePqsNRg6o9Y&watch_response

^ Anyone who doesn't think it was a freak injury go to 1:15.