PDA

View Full Version : If Lebron and Dwight were on the same team, who would be the #1 option?

JordansBulls
10-27-2008, 08:22 PM
If Lebron and Dwight were on the same team, who would be the #1 option?

Both are efficient and usually your big man is the #1 option depending on how efficient they are in comparison with the guard/forward. But in this case, who would be the #1 option on the team between Lebron and Dwight?

MiamiHeat
10-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Lebron is better offensively than Dwight IMO

ARMIN12NBA
10-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Lebron. Dwight has no post moves. Lebron would just have to draw the double so he could feed Dwight the ball for easy dunks.

Beno7500
10-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Lebron i think

uchiha
10-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Lebron

done.

NYY NYJ NYK
10-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Lebron
But i will pick Dwight if he has a big advantage aganist the opposite Center.

theuuord
10-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Teach Dwight to make a free throw.

Tblaze
10-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Lebron is a leader of the team, Howard is "just" a dominating center and being very good at that, but he doesn't make his teammates better like lebron does...

so I guess Lebron would be the leader. Think it would be a nice match too..

_Sn1P3r_
10-27-2008, 08:49 PM
I think LeBron.

ttam68
10-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Lebron would be the best and go to scorer, but Dwight would be the number one option. The team is always better when the game is played inside-out, and allowing Dwight to operate down low would open up Lebron's game. If you need a game winning shot its Lebron all the way, but for the other 47 minutes the team would first try to get Dwight an easy basket.

HiphopRelated
10-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Bron

Dwight still doesn't consistently create his own shot in the post and still struggles passing out of double teams.

NJrockPD
10-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Lebron gets the ball, runs around with it, alley oop to Howard. Undefeated season and lebron would average 16 assists per game.

bostncelts34
10-27-2008, 10:08 PM
no disrepespect to d12, but this isnt even close. He has no go to post moves. He is an amazing rebounder and put back dunker. But in no way, would i ever have him my #1 option over lebron.

Devils05
10-27-2008, 10:10 PM
LeBron easily. Aside from possibly on a team with Kobe, LeBron would be the #1 option

bidi_nash
10-27-2008, 10:14 PM
Lrbron he's better in the post

kobe24>jordan23
10-27-2008, 10:44 PM
dwight. just like kobe and shaq. shaq was always the first option

Zefflin
10-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Lebron. Dwight has no post moves.

no disrepespect to d12, but this isnt even close. He has no go to post moves

Are you guys ****ing kidding me? Dwight looks a tap dancer in the post compared to stone feet Lebron.

Teach Dwight to make a free throw.

Dwights a 60% FFS, Lebrons a 70% FFS...that doesn't say much man.

mariotubes
10-27-2008, 10:53 PM
dumb thread...lebron would always get the ball
dwight would slam down all of brons missed shots

Sox Appeal
10-27-2008, 10:56 PM
Are you guys ****ing kidding me? Dwight looks a tap dancer in the post compared to stone feet Lebron.

I hope your joking. If you've ever watched Lebron play you would know he has some of the best footwork in the NBA. His ability to drive with the basketball better then anybody in the NBA, and his ability to dominate other players in the open court, should go as proof as of how good Lebron's footwork really is.

Zefflin
10-27-2008, 11:03 PM
:eyebrow:

:laugh2:

Sir, I hope you're joking. I've watched him play many times and you should know there's a difference between great footwork and running full steam like a hungry silverback gorilla collecting bananas.

Sox Appeal
10-27-2008, 11:03 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't say that's the best example though. Kobe was just starting to familiarize himself with the NBA, when he and Shaq took off and started winning Championships. Lebron I would say, is a more balanced player now, then Kobe was back then. Also, Dwight Howard isn't even CLOSE to as good of a player as Shaq was during the Lakers title run. Shaq had some really good post moves, and he also had the ability to just DOMINATE the opposing team no many how many players the other team decided to throw at him. Many "experts" say Shaq was as dominate during that title run, as any player was in NBA history.

So I would say the #1 option on a DH12/Lebron team would be Lebron.

theuuord
10-27-2008, 11:07 PM

Dwight shoots a 60% clip at 11 free throws a game, more than anyone else in the league by a sizeable margin. The detriment to his team - especially late in games - is huge.
LeBron makes one more free throw per 10 attempts, which averages out to about 23 points per 100 (free throw) possessions used. That's a huge difference. Add in Howard's increased FT shooting as a result of hacks and it's even bigger.

Teams can play Hack-A-Howard. They can't play Hack-A-James.

oshea225
10-27-2008, 11:13 PM

dwight isnt shaq and lebron isnt kobe.

lebron, far more talented than dwight. dwight's still a great 1st option, but between the 2, lebron easy

x_notorious
10-27-2008, 11:16 PM
LeBron James would be the number 1 option.

He has more ways to score. He can shoot the ball, post defenders up, dunk the ball, etc. For the most part, Howard is an alley-oop, lob me the ball type of guy. He still needs to refine his posts moves.

heyman321
10-27-2008, 11:16 PM
Lebron. Lebron can acutally do stuff besides dunk.

UofA
10-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Lebron, he's the better offensive player IMO.

lakers4sho
10-27-2008, 11:31 PM
LeBron

If you're gonna make your big guy the 1st option, then there should be a plethora of shooters surrounding him.

JJ81
10-27-2008, 11:34 PM
L'breezy

Bosh=nextKG
10-27-2008, 11:35 PM
Howard isn't really a number 1 option. He gets his pts off of dunks and put backs. Not a very reliable player when it comes to his post moves. Gotta go Lebron

Lebron23
10-27-2008, 11:39 PM
That would be a solid duo in the NBA. LeBron James is the no.1 option because he's a better scorer, and He's the clutches player in the League right now.

lakers4sho
10-27-2008, 11:42 PM
That would be a solid duo in the NBA. LeBron James is the no.1 option because he's a better scorer, and He's the clutches player in the League right now.

Haven't heard of Kobe? Maybe you ought to look him up.

Lebron23
10-27-2008, 11:46 PM
Haven't heard of Kobe? Maybe you ought to look him up.

He's not the clutches player according t0 82games.com.

http://www.82games.com/CSORT11.HTM

ttam68
10-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Dwight shoots a 60% clip at 11 free throws a game, more than anyone else in the league by a sizeable margin. The detriment to his team - especially late in games - is huge.
LeBron makes one more free throw per 10 attempts, which averages out to about 23 points per 100 (free throw) possessions used. That's a huge difference. Add in Howard's increased FT shooting as a result of hacks and it's even bigger.

Teams can play Hack-A-Howard. They can't play Hack-A-James.

I did a lot of fancy math because I'm doing accounting homework and didn't know what you were talking about. Lebron uses 5.14 "FT possessions per game," Dwight uses 5.47 FT possessions per game.

Dwight averages 0.24 points less per possession used. So, multiplying that by his possessions per game, you see that Dwight loses 1.34 points per game that Lebron would have made.

I find it hard to believe that this 1.34 points is that relevant to the argument as to whether or not he's the go to guy. However, it is interesting to see how much difference that 10% FT shooting can make in an 82 game season.

----

Back to the original discussion though, I think most people are simply pointing out that Lebron is the better scorer rather then answering the question. We all know Lebron is much more talented than Dwight at this point, and can score in many more ways.

However, throughout a 48 minute game and an 82 game season it is easier and more intelligent to attempt to get Dwight easy baskets then make Lebron work for his. If this were a team, Dwight would be the work horse and Lebron the 4th quarter/go-to-guy. To me, this makes Dwight the #1 option and Lebron the best player.

Consider a few teams: the Suns and Lakers (random teams that seemed to fit the mold). The Suns have an extremely efficient and prolific scorer in Nash. He shoots absurd percentages and is arguably a better weapon then Shaq at this point in their careers. However, wouldn't it be simpler to throw the ball in to Shaq for three quarters and try to get some dunks, layups, or double teams then to have Nash run off screens and shoot threes? This doesn't make Shaq the better weapon, but rather the #1 option.

Similarly, on the Lakers we all know Kobe is the best player. But, I guarantee that this year the team runs the ball through Pau and Bynum whenever possible. Thats not because Kobe can't drive, shoot, or even post up better then these two, but rather because it's more efficient and easier to play through a big man.

In this way, any coach would first see if the team could score through Dwight, saving Lebron for tough situations and the 4th quarter.

Anything to avoid homework.

GSW_Soul
10-27-2008, 11:57 PM
Lebron and Dwight are both good players but if I had to choose only one of them, I would pick Lebron.

IversonIsKrazy
10-28-2008, 12:11 AM
this is a pretty pointless thread, im not going to lie. i think it would b like AI and Melo. there really isnt a first choice, who ever is playin better that game would get tha ball more often, its that simple.

oshea225
10-28-2008, 12:14 AM
lmao 31-4? says something about lebron

LAKERS 24/7
10-28-2008, 12:53 AM
Silly question imo. Lebron easily. Dwight isn't even the go to guy on his own team in the 4th, that title goes to Hedo.

lakers4sho
10-28-2008, 01:18 AM

For these stats "Clutch" is defined as:
4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, neither team ahead by more than 5 points

The flaw to your premise is, many of the Laker games this past season, the Lakers were up by more than 5 in the last 5 minutes. In a lot of the cases, Kobe was sitting on the bench and letting the bench closeout the game.

I guess you can't say the same thing about LeBron.

theuuord
10-28-2008, 01:22 AM
I did a lot of fancy math because I'm doing accounting homework and didn't know what you were talking about. Lebron uses 5.14 "FT possessions per game," Dwight uses 5.47 FT possessions per game.

Dwight averages 0.24 points less per possession used. So, multiplying that by his possessions per game, you see that Dwight loses 1.34 points per game that Lebron would have made.

I find it hard to believe that this 1.34 points is that relevant to the argument as to whether or not he's the go to guy. However, it is interesting to see how much difference that 10% FT shooting can make in an 82 game season.

What math are you using to conclude the amount of possessions used?

ttam68
10-28-2008, 01:28 AM
What math are you using to conclude the amount of possessions used?

I used free throw attempts per game divided by two, but now that I think about it I guess that isn't very accurate. It leaves out made field goals with a foul. So if we assume that Dwight gets more old school three point play opportunities, then his efficiency would increase some. As far as I know there is no way to find stats on players making a field goal and getting a free throw or of how many times Lebron was fouled attempting a three. It most likely averages out with these two, both are powerful and finish around the rim.

ARMIN12NBA
10-28-2008, 01:33 AM

:laugh2: Lebron is non-existent in the post. Literally. He never goes into the post and that is one of his biggest knocks. Howard is better in the post even though he is putrid himself.

ARMIN12NBA
10-28-2008, 01:36 AM

Kobe is also much better against "good" teams while Lebron does much worse against "good" teams and does most of his damage against "poor" teams. The best should play their best against the best...Not pad their stats against the worst.

lakers4sho
10-28-2008, 01:39 AM
I was looking at the 82games.com analysis, and I found one interesting stat:

LeBron attemps 12 three's during crunch time (out of 36 FG attempts), and shoots 30%
Kobe attemps 4 (out of 33 FG attempts), and shoots about 38%

Talk about basketball IQ and shot selection.

SteveNash
10-28-2008, 03:47 AM
Is Howard the first option on his own team?

JordansBulls
10-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Kobe is also much better against "good" teams while Lebron does much worse against "good" teams and does most of his damage against "poor" teams. The best should play their best against the best...Not pad their stats against the worst.

I agree. But a lot of Kobe's best games are against bad teams. He has good games against good teams as well but those are usually at home.

theuuord
10-28-2008, 12:14 PM
I used free throw attempts per game divided by two, but now that I think about it I guess that isn't very accurate. It leaves out made field goals with a foul. So if we assume that Dwight gets more old school three point play opportunities, then his efficiency would increase some. As far as I know there is no way to find stats on players making a field goal and getting a free throw or of how many times Lebron was fouled attempting a three. It most likely averages out with these two, both are powerful and finish around the rim.

Gotcha. For your future research, pretty much all data shows that one free throw attempt is roughly equivalent to 0.44 possessions. ;)

mlisica19
10-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Its hard to match Lebron with anyone... he does it all for a team, i guess a big guy will be the best team mate for him. I mean james can probably play any position in the league and still be a factor. lebron would still be the #1 guy, if he were to drive he can pass to open dwight or allow him 2 get any loose rebounds.

_Supreme_
10-28-2008, 02:30 PM
I don't think there would have to be a #1 option necessarily. Play would probably go fluidly because these players at their positions wouldn't get in eachother's way on the court.

Lebron would be ahead as #1 option if you really had to pick one, but these two would seriously dominate without option issues.

cambovenzi
10-28-2008, 02:41 PM
lebron would probably get more shots and be the "#1 option", but they both would be key parts of the team, and get plenty of opps.
lebron just handles the ball more b/c he is a G/F who shoots alot.

cmoneytakemoney
10-28-2008, 02:56 PM
This thread is a joke right? Howard is a great ball player but, Lebron is one of the greatest ever.

Illuminati
10-28-2008, 02:56 PM
dwight easily he can get his points easier than lebron can

NYMetros
10-28-2008, 03:11 PM
I'd say Lebron. He is the #1 ooption on any team that doesn't have KG, Kobe Bryant, or Tim Duncan on their roster.

rrude
10-28-2008, 03:16 PM
this thread's a joke. Lebron by a mile. I'm not convinced by DHoward. I think he's got a bit of David Robinson in him and needs a leading man.

LeBrowns
10-28-2008, 11:04 PM
is this even a serious question?

Statik1
10-28-2008, 11:11 PM

All I have for this thread is......

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/seraphsephirot/picard-facepalm.jpg