PDA

View Full Version : Updates: Nugs "close to" extending LK, "leaning towards" extending Balkman

DenButsu
10-27-2008, 05:15 AM
Clock ticking on Balkman's option pickup

Renaldo Balkman has five days left to learn if he can feel more secure in his new city.

The Nuggets have until Friday to pick up the $2.1 million option on the forward or he'll be a free agent at the end of the season.

"It does matter if they pick me up or not," Balkman said. "I'm at a new home. I came from New York, now I'm in Denver. I made this my home. I hope they pick me up. It looks good for me right now.

"For the most part, I'm just doing my job. I'm practicing, playing basketball every day. If they pick me up for their roster, then they pick me up. I'm still going to be working hard."

Balkman, who is battling a right ankle injury but insists "I'm playing on Wednesday, no doubt," is one of a few Nuggets who have options the organization will make decisions on this week.

Linas Kleiza, in the last year of a three-year deal, is looking for an extension. If the Nuggets do not extend his contract by Friday, he'll be a restricted free agent. The situation is the same as J.R. Smith's was last season. The Nuggets did not extend Smith by the deadline but signed him to a three-year, $16.5 million contract in the summer.

Kleiza said he does not think about it.

"I think my agent is talking," Kleiza said. "I'm just here to play basketball. I'm definitely not worried about my contract situation. I'm happy to be here and to start up the season. We have a great team, and that's what I'm looking forward to."

Guard Chucky Atkins (knee surgery), who Nuggets coach George Karl says may begin running this week, has a contract option as well. Atkins' first season with the Nuggets last year was injury-riddled. He is expected to play in games by mid-November. denverpost (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_10823963?source=rss)

C-Dub
10-27-2008, 08:05 PM
i say dont keep either of them.
I like balkman a lot, but maybe we should keep our options open a litlle bit for next offseason, and we can try to get him back after the season if he plays good for us. or if he is only playing ok for us, maybe we could use him as trade bait somehow.
Kleiza I just dont like, he can be good, but sometimes he isnt. He is like Smith in a way, only i love smith, he is a little more consistant. Im not saying we should get rid of him because i dont like him, but again, we'd have more money, and more options if we only had him for this season.
just a thought, if i had to keep one or the other, id keep balkman

AIMelo=KillaDUO
10-27-2008, 08:35 PM
I like LK... But, I still blame him for us not aquiring Artest.

DenButsu
10-28-2008, 07:19 PM
Will Nugs Pick Up Balkman's Option?

A source close to the situation told HOOPSWORLD on Tuesday afternoon the Denver Nuggets are "leaning towards" picking up the option on forward Renaldo Balkman's contract for next season. However, the source stressed a final decision hadn't yet been made. The team must decide whether or not to pick up the option today.

When asked Tuesday if he knew whether or not the Nuggets would be picking up his option, Balkman replied: "I don't know yet. They haven't told me anything."

"I think you'll know before me, right?" Balkman added with a smile.

"It's a job," Balkman continued. "If it's picked up, which hopefully it is, I'll be here for another year after that. If not, I'm still going to play this year. I'm going to play my (butt) off."

If the team does pick up his option, they will pay him just over $2 million during the 2009-10 season.

The team acquired Balkman via trade this summer from the New York Knicks in exchange for Taurean Green and Bobby Jones.hoopsworld (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10385)

DenButsu
10-29-2008, 12:01 AM
Nuggets close to signing Kleiza to extension
(and "leaning towards" extending Balkman as well)

The Nuggets like the future of their young players so much that forward Linas Kleiza is on the verge of a contract extension and indications are they’re leaning toward picking up forward Renaldo Balkman’s contract option.

Kleiza is close to signing an extension that would begin next season and could keep him in Denver through 2013.

“We’re very close,’’ Kleiza, who expects the deal to be signed by Friday’s deadline, told the Rocky Mountain News on Tuesday. “We haven’t finalized it yet. But I think that everything is going well. Denver is where I want to stay. I really like it here.’’

The Sporting News reported the deal would be worth about $25 million over four years. Kleiza, 23, wouldn’t discuss figures.

Meanwhile, there are strong indications the Nuggets will pick up Balkman’s 2009-10 contract option by Friday’s deadline.

“I do believe they are leaning toward picking it up,’’ Balkman’s agent, Andre Buck, said about the $2.11 million option.

Balkman, 24, talked after practice Tuesday with Nuggets executive Mark Warkentien and coach George Karl.

“I hope they pick up my option,’’ Balkman said afterward. “It’s looking good for me so far.’’

If the Nuggets decide at the last instant against picking it up, Balkman would become an unrestricted free agent next summer. If there is a last-minute snag with Kleiza, he would become a restricted free agent next summer.

To hammer out arrangements regarding Kleiza and Balkman, Warkentien didn’t travel with the Nuggets on their trip to open the season Wednesday night at Utah and play Friday at the Los Angeles Clippers. He declined comment.rocky (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/oct/28/report-nuggets-close-signing-kleiza-extension/)