PDA

View Full Version : ai at point guard

theanswer418
10-26-2008, 10:13 AM
i mean he averages the most assist in the game as a shooting with 7 and he said hes gonna pass more this season then why not just become a point guard? iverson is slowing down he cant do all that amazing stuff he did in his prime that much anymore...and the comment"melo and iverson need someone to score for them off the bench" how bout klezia? any bench player who can score 41 points agaist a team like utah seems promising to me. if yall dont like anthony carter in the lineup then lets just get him out! ai can still be like nash,paul,and dwill and average 18-22 ppg and get 8-11 apg then melos points will go up and if ai becomes a team player the talent starts to work
nene,kmart,melo,jr all their points will go up if ai sacrifices his points to go down not to mention that we will be a playoff contender and most likely make it to the second round when he went to denver i was expecting a championship but now i am disapointed and at this time we lose camby i am even more mad and this is why i feel strong about my opinions look at the hornets cp3 made david west make allthem points and the celtics they had so much talent but they needed chemistry to win a championship. i actually think we can have a better than last season if allen iverson plays point. honestly do u want a shooting guard with 8-12 apg?

our lineup should look like this

pg-ai
sg-jr
sf-melo
pf-kmart
c-nene

DenButsu
10-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Up with J.R.'s minutes, down with AC's minutes, yes on AI at the point for big minutes.

C-Dub
10-26-2008, 11:08 AM
this would be good because if AI played PG then Carter wouldnt be pressured to do good all game and he could just focus on playing off the bench, and also we'd be able to play weems more, and he is also good on D, it would almost be too perfect. AI could easily average over 12 assists per game with the roster we have, plus he could still score 15-25 points a game

C-Dub
10-26-2008, 01:01 PM
on espn classic its the 2005 game with AI and Philly vs the Magic. AI isplaying PG and he is doing awesome, I dont get why he just dont say he wants to do it, he could easily be the hero for the Nuggets

F15Eagle
10-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Iverson is a combo guard. He is better at SG than PG. He is not slowing down by any stroke of imagination, and his capabilities is not declining at all, infact it is increasing. Before Iverson came to Denver, he was averaging 31.2 while getting 7+ assists and 2.4 steals in Philadelphia. The year before then he averaged 33 points / game 1st or 2nd and was 1st or 2nd in steals and 7+ assists top 10. Since he came to Denver his numbers have gone down a little bit, but, not because he was slowing down but because he was trying to adjust to a new situation. For Denver Nuggets to succeed Iverson must be Iverson. He is the best player in the team (without any doubt), Statements like, "it is Melo's team, therefore he is the best player in the team" is not smart at all, and when you hear such just ignore it. It is simply a divisive statement. Melo is a Franchise Player, when a team acquires a Superdupa star like Iverson the team expects the new star to lead them together with the Franchise player and others to the next level. For example, Moses Malone was a Superdupa star, and was acquired by Sixers to take them to the next level (championship), he was the man, but Dr. J was the Franchise player and played very well together with others. He did not expect Moses to defer to him, or be passing balls to him or to step back for him. They played hard together and the Result championship. . The same with Boston last season, No deferment or player development everyone played hard and the result Championship.
Thus, Iverson must be Iverson for Nuggets to succeed. He must provide leadership and pour in points (score 50 or more whenever necessary and possible) with no deferment, get assists (10 or more if possible) with no deferment, and get a lot of steals with no deferment. Melo should aim for 20+ / 10 rebounds (Solid allstar and MVP numbers). Good luck to Denver Nuggets!!!!! Denver has what it takes to win it all !!!!!

theanswer418
10-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Iverson is a combo guard. He is better at SG than PG. He is not slowing down by any stroke of imagination, and his capabilities is not declining at all, infact it is increasing. Before Iverson came to Denver, he was averaging 31.2 while getting 7+ assists and 2.4 steals in Philadelphia. The year before then he averaged 33 points / game 1st or 2nd and was 1st or 2nd in steals and 7+ assists top 10. Since he came to Denver his numbers have gone down a little bit, but, not because he was slowing down but because he was trying to adjust to a new situation. For Denver Nuggets to succeed Iverson must be Iverson. He is the best player in the team (without any doubt), Statements like, "it is Melo's team, therefore he is the best player in the team" is not smart at all, and when you hear such just ignore it. It is simply a divisive statement. Melo is a Franchise Player, when a team acquires a Superdupa star like Iverson the team expects the new star to lead them together with the Franchise player and others to the next level. For example, Moses Malone was a Superdupa star, and was acquired by Sixers to take them to the next level (championship), he was the man, but Dr. J was the Franchise player and played very well together with others. He did not expect Moses to defer to him, or be passing balls to him or to step back for him. They played hard together and the Result championship. . The same with Boston last season, No deferment or player development everyone played hard and the result Championship.
Thus, Iverson must be Iverson for Nuggets to succeed. He must provide leadership and pour in points (score 50 or more whenever necessary and possible) with no deferment, get assists (10 or more if possible) with no deferment, and get a lot of steals with no deferment. Melo should aim for 20+ / 10 rebounds (Solid allstar and MVP numbers). Good luck to Denver Nuggets!!!!! Denver has what it takes to win it all !!!!!

i want denver to win it all but i totally disagree with your statements ai is adjusting to the team but when ai scores 20+ a game and melo does that to players dont get the ball much thats why we need ai to play point the amount of talent on this team is incredible but we just have to make it for example say u have a lineup like

pg-anthony carter
sg-kobe
sf-lebron
pf-duncan
c-dwight

kobe wants to be effective so he tries score everything and lebron feels a lil bit left out so then everything he gets the ball he looks to score and anthony carter is not a good enough point guard to keep the chemistry going therefore absolutely no teamwork and the team has hudge talent but not using all of it with their other players

thats denvers situation right not they need to figure out what works for them

theanswer418
10-26-2008, 02:45 PM
on espn classic its the 2005 game with AI and Philly vs the Magic. AI isplaying PG and he is doing awesome, I dont get why he just dont say he wants to do it, he could easily be the hero for the Nuggets

he didnt really have much in philly i guess he feels superior to melo so he tries to score more to keep his own against him

C-Dub
10-26-2008, 02:55 PM
it was the game AI got 60 points in, lol

i think the opposite, he dont feel superior, they are the same, they want a championship and will do what they want to get it, this year they have no excuse for not easily making the playoffs and going deep into them.

If AI played PG he could still get 20 points and like 15 assists a night and make a run at MVP again, he would also get more steals cuz hes right on the ball most of the time, and his typical 2-4 rebounds. I wish Karl would just make him do it or he volunteered to. Then he would run the team with Melo and if I went along with your case, they wouldnt compete.

DenButsu
10-26-2008, 04:59 PM
he didnt really have much in philly i guess he feels superior to melo so he tries to score more to keep his own against him

As someone who has criticized AI a lot for dominating the ball too much, I'll jump in in his defense here and say I don't think that's the case. I just think he has failed to challenge himself enough to change his ways, but his attitude has been solid.

IversonIsKrazy
10-26-2008, 10:59 PM
i unno. but if JR starts at SG, we wont have a good bench. but i think ai at point will solve the undersizing at defence issues. so i say try it and c how it works.

theanswer418
10-27-2008, 06:47 PM
i unno. but if JR starts at SG, we wont have a good bench. but i think ai at point will solve the undersizing at defence issues. so i say try it and c how it works.

"we wont have a good bench"

once again everbody is sleeping on kleiza he scored 41 points off the bench against utah he is a very consistant shooter i feel *** long as we have him our bench will be fine

hdxstunts1
10-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Id say neither he's not good enough with the shot to be a complee shooting guard and he is too ball hoggy to be a PG. He really should be traded.

DenButsu
10-28-2008, 04:25 AM
Shaky at point?

Starting point guard Anthony Carter was asked how many minutes he could play Wednesday.

"I'm ready to play 48," Carter said Monday.

Considering Denver's situation at point, that might be needed. Injured backup Chucky Atkins is out at least another week and Karl, to limit Iverson playing there, begrudgingly has been using J.R. Smith some at the point.

"We don't have a third point guard, so, when we give him that challenge, there's been some moments that are very nervous," Karl said. "(Monday's) practice was filtered with many bad passing situations because J.R. was running the second unit."

Karl called Smith "one of the premier talents in the league," but he continues to "drive me up the wall," although those times are becoming less frequent.

"There's a combination of commitment to basketball education . . . and understanding team is more important than individual," Karl said, in addition to having talent. "There's a lot of things J.R. is learning, but the process is he's still got to continue to learn."rocky (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/oct/27/nuggets-report-iverson-says-hes-ready-for-opener/?partner=RSS)

KRIEGER: Point is, Iverson a better fit at 2

The question on the table was whether it is better for the Nuggets if Allen Iverson plays the point or the 2.

"I don't know what would be better, and I honestly don't care," Iverson said. "Whatever's best for the team. I'm willing to sacrifice whatever I have to sacrifice."

His partner on a Nuggets marquee better known for celebrity than championship contention was similarly ambivalent.

"It really doesn't matter," Carmelo Anthony said. "I think it depends on who we're going up against and how the game is being played."

This was all well and good, and possibly even true, but it didn't help me and The Dude figure out where to put him in our fifth annual Western Conference player rankings and playoff prognostication.

Last season, for the third year in a row, our idiosyncratic yet unpatented approach yielded seven of the eight playoff teams. We also had the Warriors making it, which we don't feel too bad about, considering they won 48 games.

The team we missed was the Lakers, the conference champion. Which, granted, is kind of a big miss.

For one thing, we failed to foresee the trade for Pau Gasol, which pumped up their score not only at big forward, but small forward, replacing Luke Walton with Lamar Odom. We also underrated their bench.

Oh, and we had Derek Fisher ranked last among starting point guards, which was accurate enough, based on his numbers, but missed his considerable intangibles. So we've tried to think a little more about intangibles this year. Where you see a veteran of less talent ranked above a young player of more talent, this is probably the reason.

But back to the Nuggets. Last year, we put A.I. at the point, which caused a bit of a dispute. The Dude ranked him best in the conference. "This is the year he proves he can be a true 1," he wrote by e-mail from college. "He'll average 20 pts, 10 ast, 5 reb, 3 stls a game."

In fact, those numbers were 26, 7, 3 and 2. Astounding, as usual, but higher on the scoring and lower on everything else than even his biggest fan wanted to see from "a true 1."

George Karl, who makes the call, labeled it a 60-40 proposition, with A.I. at shooting guard a slight majority of the time.

"I think his secondary position is backup point, and let him have the freedom to be a player," Karl said. "I'm not saying when he plays the 2 position that he doesn't have the ball in his hands. What I want him to do is be free to create on every touch as a 2 guard.

"As a point guard, there's a direction. He's got to be a point guard."

Which is why this matters. For all his brilliance, A.I. has not led teams to the heights his remarkable individual numbers would suggest. Even he admits this.

"This is going on my 13th year, and I've been to the Finals once," he said as training camp opened. "I would have thought I would have been there five or six times by now and won a championship. So, obviously, the commitment is there from me to sacrifice my game and do whatever the team needs me to do. If that means doing something different offensively, I'm willing to do that."

The question is whether he can, whether the mind of a scorer can become the mind of a facilitator, depending on who's playing beside him in the backcourt.

"Allen is a tremendous offensive player, but he's not a point guard that gets other people involved," Syracuse head coach and Team USA assistant Jim Boeheim said this summer. "He's a guy that scores."

So that's where we put him in this year's rankings. Even though Iverson has been The Dude's favorite player for about a decade now, we agreed that he is third among shooting guards in the West, behind Kobe Bryant and Tracy McGrady.

Where we disagreed, we generally split the difference, except in the case of Warriors center Andris Biedrins, whom The Dude had third in the West. I had him 10th. The Dude made a persuasive case, so he's third. That difference alone was enough to push Golden State ahead of Dallas and Portland. So if we're wrong about the Warriors again, it will be Biedrins' fault.

We have eight categories - the five starters, coach, bench and team defense. We rate the first seven subjectively, one through 15. The Dude ranked the benches this year. For defense, we use last season's defensive field-goal percentages. We add up the rankings and divide by eight to get an average rank. The top eight make our playoff field.

We have the Nuggets and Warriors edging the Mavericks and Trail Blazers for the last two spots. I should point out that the Nuggets make the playoff bracket principally because we rank Nene as if he will play the way we think he could. The Dude is more convinced this will happen than I am, but, as you know, I am always looking for the bright side.rocky (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/oct/27/krieger-point-is-iverson-a-better-fit-at-2/?partner=RSS)

BkOriginalOne
10-28-2008, 10:48 AM
I don't want AI playing the point because its not worth it.
I mean, sure, he can get about.. hmm. 9 dimes, if he tried. BUT, he would have about 3.5 tos per game and thats not completely worth it.
I would like AI to get about 26 and 6apg at the 2, assuming that the point guard playing with him gets like 5-6 dimes himself and melo gets about 4.
That would suffice.

Still though, AI could spend time at the point because it bothers me to see AC on the court so much.

C-Dub
10-28-2008, 03:49 PM
um, thats what happened last season and AI averaged more assists (he averaged 7) than AC, so why not just have AI play point, Ai could easily get over 9 at the point.

DenButsu
10-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Still though, AI could spend time at the point because it bothers me to see AC on the court so much.

That's the key right there. We don't have anyone else to play the point who's worth a damn. (I don't know, maybe Chucky is, but we haven't seen him play yet, and don't know if he'll be able to).

So we're basically out there playing 4 on 5 with AC on offense, and even though he tries hard on defense, with AI under 6'0" and AC at 6'2" that leaves our perimeter very badly exposed.

Putting AI at the point allows the other guard to be taller, and a better shooter. Or in other words, J.R. That's the bottom line for me.

Mario
10-29-2008, 08:15 AM
I agree AI should play pg, but slowing down? 26 points 8 assists and 2 steals i don't consider slowing down Yea the last two seasons his points have been down a lil but thats b/c he plays beside melo. The team would be better with him at point and starting JR though

C-Dub
10-29-2008, 05:17 PM
yes, thanks for defending that he aint slowing down, there are lots of points he could score, think of it this way, he has to share them with Melo, Smith, Kleiza and Kenyon, haha

he would do a lot better on the team as PG

theanswer418
10-29-2008, 08:39 PM
yes, thanks for defending that he aint slowing down, there are lots of points he could score, think of it this way, he has to share them with Melo, Smith, Kleiza and Kenyon, haha

he would do a lot better on the team as PG

not to upset any of yall but karl is confused ai says he will "sacrafice anything to benifit the team" meaning pass more play point but he still puts him at sg idk whats wrong with him he should give anthony carter a break on the bench im not saying that he sucks its just we would have a much more talented lineup with iverson at point and jr at sg and good 6th man in kleiza