PDA

View Full Version : What team has the 2nd best core

DRose#1
10-25-2008, 11:46 PM
I'm wondering which teams are going to be at the top of the rankings in the future. Obviously Portland is #1. Oden/LMA/Roy/Fernandez/Bayless/Outlaw/Webster/Batum/Frye is a freakishly young and talented core. Who do you think will be competing against them in the future? Feel free to let me know if I am missing a player for any team.

Atlanta - Al Horford, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, Acie Law

Boston - Rajon Rondo, Tony Allen, Bill Walker, Leon Powe, Glen Davis, Kendrick Perkins

Charlotte - Emeka Okafor, Gerald Wallace, Jared Dudley, Adam Morrison, Ray Felton, DJ Augustine, Sean May

Chicago - Derrick Rose, Ben Gordon, Thabo Sefolosha, Luol Deng, Tyrus Thomas, Joakim Noah

Cleveland - LBJ, Mo Williams, Daniel Gibson

Dallas - Brandon Bass, ?

Denver - Melo, Nene, JR Smith, Linas Kleiza

Detroit - Rodney Stuckey, Amir Johnson, Arron Affalo

Golden State - Monta Ellis, Andris Biedrins, Brandan Wright, Anthony Randolph, Marco Belinelli

Houston - Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry, ?

Indiana - Danny Granger, TJ Ford, Roy Hibbert, Brandon Rush, Mike Dunleavy

LAC - Eric Gordon, Al Thornton, Chris Kaman

LAL - Andrew Bynum, Jordan Farmar, Trevor Ariza

Memphis - Rudy Gay, OJ Mayo, Mike Conley, Kyle Lowry, Javaris Crittenton, Marc Gasol, Hamed Hadadi, Hakim Warrick, Darrell Arthur

Miami - Dwayne Wade, Michael Beasley, Mario Chalmers

Milwaukee - Andrew Bogut, Charlie Villanueva, Joe Alexander, Ramon Sessions

Minnesota - Al Jefferson, Kevin Love, Randy Foye, Corey Brewer, Rashad McCants

NJ - Devin Harris, Brook Lopez, Yi Jianlian, Sean Williams, Josh Boone, CDR

NO - Chris Paul, David West, Tyson Chandler

NY - Danillo Galinari, Wilson Chandler, David Lee

OKC - Kevin Durant, Jeff Green, Russell Westbrook

Orlando - Dwight Howard, Jameer Nelson

Philadelphia - Andre Iguodala, Thaddeus Young, Samuel Dalembert, Mareese Speights, Lou Williams

Phoenix - Leandhro Barbosa, Amare Stoudamire, Robin Lopez, Goran Drajic

Sacramento - Kevin Martin, Franciso Garcia, Jason Thompson, Spencer Hawes

San Antonio - Tony Parker?

Toronto - Chris Bosh, Andrea Bargnani

Utah - Deron Williams, Ronnie Brewer, CJ Miles, Paul Millsap, Kosta Koufos, Kyrylo Fesenko

DreamShaker
10-25-2008, 11:51 PM
Minny has a pretty good one....Miami with Wade and Beasley....

Iodine
10-25-2008, 11:54 PM
Because this thread will turn into a homerfest anyway ill start it off(sorry DS)

SIXERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thad young>life

Draco
10-26-2008, 12:00 AM
Who knows.. a lot can change in 2010.

Dol-Fan
10-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Because this thread will turn into a homerfest anyway ill start it off(sorry DS)

SIXERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thad young>life

Raptors!!!

Andrea Bargnani > Dirk

.. in all seriousness, Minnesota's is pretty decent if Foye and McCants ever work out the way they project. Miami also looks nice with Wade and Beasley, of course. Don't overlook Memphis either, Gay, Mayo, Conley, Gasol, Warrick, and the beast known as Hamed Haddadi.

Iodine
10-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Thad young>the country of canada

SpaceCadet
10-26-2008, 12:25 AM
bargnani>the state of pennsylvania

Iodine
10-26-2008, 12:33 AM
which is why rasho started over him right?

RapsGuy23
10-26-2008, 12:37 AM
Minnesota has several good young player.

Dol-Fan
10-26-2008, 12:41 AM
which is why rasho started over him right?

well, if you want to get technical. Bargnani > Penn., which is pretty impressive, but Rasho > every country in the world that is not Slovenia. so therefore, Rasho > Bargnani.

Iodine
10-26-2008, 12:46 AM
That is pretty unbeatable logic

LeBrowns
10-26-2008, 12:47 AM
Assuming Portland is first...I take Atlanta with Miami a close second.

amare#1
10-26-2008, 12:51 AM
I would say that the best 4 after Portland consist of:
Golden State, Memphis, Minnesota and Oklahoma City.

blackjack_119
10-26-2008, 02:10 AM
I always look at:
1. Post defense
2. Post offense
3. PG play
4. Team work

Of those young teams, NO is the best competition in the future. While a lot of teams like Memphis and Miami have impressive wings and guard play, none of them have potentially dominant post players. Chandler/West with Paul at Point is the best team to challenge in the long term. Minnesota needs a legit Center to put next to Jefferson and they will be good too.

Draco
10-26-2008, 02:26 AM
Of those young teams, NO is the best competition in the future. While a lot of teams like Memphis and Miami have impressive wings and guard play, none of them have potentially dominant post players. Chandler/West with Paul at Point is the best team to challenge in the long term.

Interesting comment although one NBA scout has serious doubts about NO.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/10/22/hornets/

Draco
10-26-2008, 02:28 AM
I would say that the best 4 after Portland consist of:
Golden State, Memphis, Minnesota and Oklahoma City.

Okie? Seriously? I'm not crazy about any of those teams but time will settle the issue brought up by this thread.

LAKERS 24/7
10-26-2008, 02:39 AM
I'm wondering which teams are going to be at the top of the rankings in the future. Obviously Portland is #1. Oden/LMA/Roy/Fernandez/Bayless/Outlaw/Webster/Batum/Frye is a freakishly young and talented core. Who do you think will be competing against them in the future? Feel free to let me know if I am missing a player for any team.

So, anyone know why this guy got banned?

amare#1
10-26-2008, 03:07 AM
Okie? Seriously? I'm not crazy about any of those teams but time will settle the issue brought up by this thread.

Obviously none of them are great teams right now. But IMO they all have good up and comers.

DreamShaker
10-26-2008, 09:33 AM
Interesting comment although one NBA scout has serious doubts about NO.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/10/22/hornets/

He also said Nash was better than CP3...

Manos
10-26-2008, 09:56 AM
If you're talking about young talent then I'd say Memphis and Miami.

BkOriginalOne
10-26-2008, 10:39 AM
first of all, No to boston. Rondo is the best player in that list, Powe is good too, davis is a worker, but thats about it. So what bill walker can dunk.

I would say the sixers, nets, wolves and memphis.. they all should be stable playoff teams within 4 years.

philab
10-26-2008, 11:00 AM
I'll take Memphis and OKC.

For Memphis, Gay is already on the cusp of being a star. Mayo is a fantastic complement -- great shot, quick off the dribble, has the potential to be a great defender, and has good size for a 2. People forget about Conley I think too. He was injured a bit last season, and on top of that, rookie PGs always struggle. He's lightning quick and is developing a shot -- fantastic at getting to the hole for a PG, too. Between Mayo and Conley, the Grizzlies will have the quickest backcourt in the league. Then they have Gasol. I haven't had the chance to see him play yet, but he's got the size and the athleticism to be great.

For OKC, it's Kevin Durant. He's gonna be a superstar or just shy of superstardom in two years. If he can put on some muscle, he'll be even better. Jeff Green has the makings of a real solid player, too. I'm also a big Russell Westbrook fan. This team could be real fun to watch in a few years. AND, if they suck this year (which is likely), they'll be able to pick up a big in the draft next June.

IndyRealist
10-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Memphis and Minnesota, if they ever figure out how to play as teams (or they fire their respective front offices). They're built for three years from now, and those rosters are stacked. I'm not big on Durant, and I think OKC will languish at the bottom for quite a while, much like Charlotte.

philab
10-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Memphis and Minnesota, if they ever figure out how to play as teams (or they fire their respective front offices). They're built for three years from now, and those rosters are stacked. I'm not big on Durant, and I think OKC will languish at the bottom for quite a while, much like Charlotte.

I like Minnesota, but they're missing a true scorer. Jefferson's not far off, but great teams usually have a 2 or 3 capable of scoring in bunches, even if he's not the best player on the team (think Ginobli, Pierce, Kobe during championship years). Brewer could develop into that role, I guess. Maybe they can make up for it with Love and Jefferson up front, which is sick, but I don't know. I'd rather stick with Memphis or OKC.

On Durant, I wasn't that high on him at first. Last year he showed an ability to adjust and work through struggles, though. His numbers were a bit inflated (and will be this year) because the reigns were handed to him completely, but that's also a lot of pressure and pretty tough on a 19 year-old. All-in-all, I think he's just got too much ability and such a variety of offensive skills for him to be held down.

Hawkeye15
10-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Minnesota and Sacramento have good young cores

Hawkeye15
10-26-2008, 11:58 AM
So, anyone know why this guy got banned?

you still crying over my statement? It shows up in your posts. Why don't you just tuck it away, then show to me again when big boy does come thru? That way you and me can move on. :)

Nexus
10-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Houston - Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry, ?

You missed Scola.

I'm not entirely aware of what the prerequisites are to be a "core" player. You have some players listed like Gerald Wallace and others who have never played an NBA game.

To me, the real winning teams to this question are who have all-stars/future all stars under the age of 25 on their team. Just having Lebron James, Chris Paul or Deron Williams, A. Stoud, Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh, Josh Smith, Al Jefferson, Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, D. Wade (26, I know) makes you a dangerous team. Even Martin, Iggy, Gay, Bynum, Granger etc. Now the question becomes, do the teams with these players have additional young core players to support the star in five years..

Cleveland/James - Not really
Paul/NO - Not really
Deron/Utah - For the most part
A. Stoud/Phx - Not really
D. Howard/Orl - Nah
Bosh/Tor - Probably not
Josh Smith/Atl - Yes
Al Jefferson/Min - Yes
Kevin Durant/OKC - Probably not
C. Anthony/Den - In large part
Wade/Mia - Probably
Iggy/Phi - Looks like it
Martin/Sac - Some
Gay/Mem - Looks like it
Bynum/LAL - Not really
Granger/Ind - It's possible

So, for me, strictly based on young talent with young support: (giving an edge to teams with a young perennial all-star)

First tier
Minnesota
Atlanta
Utah
Miami
NO

Second Tier
Denver
Philly
Memphis

cambovenzi
10-26-2008, 01:04 PM
how far into the future are we looking here?..

JOSETHEALLSTAR
10-26-2008, 01:19 PM
mami

JJ81
10-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Ariza, Farmar and Bynum have improved so much this preseason

philab
10-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Ariza, Farmar and Bynum have improved so much this preseason

It's preseason. We'll see when the season comes.

As for all the Miami love, am I missing someone besides Beasley and Wade? Sure, that's a great duo, but it's hardly the best young core in the league. I know they have Marion too, but it's looking like he won't be there past the deadline this year. He's also a lot older.

Hawkeye15
10-26-2008, 02:30 PM
It's preseason. We'll see when the season comes.

As for all the Miami love, am I missing someone besides Beasley and Wade? Sure, that's a great duo, but it's hardly the best young core in the league. I know they have Marion too, but it's looking like he won't be there past the deadline this year. He's also a lot older.

agreed. Miami doesn't have a young core period. Beasley and Chalmers are it.

MiamiHeat
10-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Miami is a good one
Wade Beasley Chalmers Wright Cook Livingston(if he can come back healthy)
they are still young and can improve

BullsNumber1Fan
10-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Chicago:
Rose/Gordon/Deng/Thomas/Noah/Sefolosha/Gray/Gooden/Hinrich

That's a great core. Everyone is under the age of 27 and Rose/Thomas have looked REALLY good in preseason. Rose was averaging 15/6 and Thomas was 3rd in rebounds and 2nd in blocks. Sure it is preseason, but it shows improvement. Before last year, we were supposed to be a top 3 team in the East. We essentially have the same team with Rose instead of Duhon which is enormous.

I also like Memphis and Minnesota and think they both can be really good if they can pick up a nice big in the draft. Also, if the Bulls flop this year and get a high pick again and get a good big, they will be even more dangerous.

So I rank it like this:
1. Portland - Bayless/Fernandez/Roy/Outlaw/Webster/Aldridge/Oden/Frye
2. Chicago - Rose/Gordon/Hinrich/Sefolosha/Deng/Thomas/Gooden/Noah/Gray
3. Memphis - Conley/Lowry/Mayo/Gay/Gasol/Future Pick
4. Minnesota - Foye/McCants/Miller/Brewer/Love/Jefferson/Future Pick
5. Miami - Chalmers/Livingston/Wade/Wright/Beasley

mrblisterdundee
10-26-2008, 02:58 PM
I'd say it's a competition between Memphis and Minnesota.

_Sn1P3r_
10-26-2008, 03:05 PM
Chicago:

That's a great core. Everyone is under the age of 27 and Rose/Thomas have looked REALLY good in preseason. Rose was averaging 15/6 and Thomas was 3rd in rebounds and 2nd in blocks. Sure it is preseason, but it shows improvement. Before last year, we were supposed to be a top 3 team in the East. We essentially have the same team with Rose instead of Duhon which is enormous.

I also like Memphis and Minnesota and think they both can be really good if they can pick up a nice big in the draft. Also, if the Bulls flop this year and get a high pick again and get a good big, they will be even more dangerous.

So I rank it like this:

Those teams were the ones in my head.

philab
10-26-2008, 03:19 PM
Chicago:

So I rank it like this:

Gordon and Hinrich are both probably on their way out. Deng and Thomas have shown flashes of what they can be, but still a long way off. It's still a great core, though.

I personally would take Memphis' core over Chicago's. Conley and Mayo are unproven, too, but their ceilings are higher and their risks of failure are lower (than Thomas/Deng/Noah), at least in my opinion.

And I'd still go with OKC over Miami. I just don't see much on Miami's roster past Wade and Beasley. Livingston is a huge question mark after that injury. Chalmers doesn't project as much more than an average starting PG at best.

zambo4president
10-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Atlanta, Minnesota both have alot to work with

futureheisman
10-26-2008, 03:40 PM
trailblazers

LAKERS 24/7
10-26-2008, 04:39 PM
you still crying over my statement? It shows up in your posts. Why don't you just tuck it away, then show to me again when big boy does come thru? That way you and me can move on. :)

Not sure how you took that as me crying over your statement, but I think I'll keep it there, for the time being anyway. Oh, and I have moved on, it just serves as a nice little reminder of what our goals are this year and whose faces to throw it into when we finally win. :cool:

Edit: Not regretting out words now are we?

tru
10-26-2008, 05:05 PM
you're all smokin rocks!!! its chicago by a mile, i wont even argue with yall, EVERY NBA analyst would say chicago by a mile................portland isnt special (oden will soon be injured,roy aint done shitt, and any other bozo you coulld think of aint even worth mentioning

b_rad23
10-26-2008, 05:29 PM
The three core players on Portland have more potential than anyone on the Bulls. Other than Deng the rest of the Bulls players are 2nd tier talents and Deng is not close to being a superstar. To include Aaron Gray on a core list is laughable.
I like Memphis and Minne. I love Miami but I think we are 2nd tier in young talent. Fortunately we have Marion and Haslem who are not too young-not old either.

Hawkeye15
10-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Not sure how you took that as me crying over your statement, but I think I'll keep it there, for the time being anyway. Oh, and I have moved on, it just serves as a nice little reminder of what our goals are this year and whose faces to throw it into when we finally win. :cool:

Edit: Not regretting out words now are we?

I don't regret anything I do. It is not healthy to live in the past, so I don't. And I stick to it. Sorry, it has probably been there forever, I just noticed it. That is the only reason I bring it up now. And Laker fans throw everything in our faces regardless of whether or not you did anything, haven't you noticed? What will the difference be? According to PSD, and the posters here, we shouldn't even play this year. Give the Lakers the trophy, the MVP to Kobe, MIP to Bynum, and the Lakers starting 5 should start the all star game, against the past Lakers, since they are better than any current player. :)

Lakersfan2483
10-26-2008, 06:43 PM
The lakers have the 2nd best core.

tru
10-26-2008, 10:10 PM
The three core players on Portland have more potential than anyone on the Bulls. Other than Deng the rest of the Bulls players are 2nd tier talents and Deng is not close to being a superstar. To include Aaron Gray on a core list is laughable.
I like Memphis and Minne. I love Miami but I think we are 2nd tier in young talent. Fortunately we have Marion and Haslem who are not too young-not old either.

what are you, like 12??? you have NO IDEA what your talking about, minnesota??? LMAO, and marion is 30 years old he has no bussiness being called young, and aaron gray only started one game last year and had 19 points and 22 rebounds, do your research little boy

BullsNumber1Fan
10-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Aaron Gray also lost 30 lbs this summer which shows commitment. He average 5/4 in 12 minutes last year. If he got more minutes, he would do really well.

scrumptiousduck
10-26-2008, 10:29 PM
lakers in 2010

pg farmar 87
sg kobe 95
sf ariza 85
pf gasol 92
c Bynum 92

scrumptiousduck
10-26-2008, 10:32 PM
lakers in 2015
pg farmar 99
sg oj mayo 99
sf ariza 99
pf al jeff 99
c bynum 99

no homer

b_rad23
10-26-2008, 10:35 PM
what are you, like 12??? you have NO IDEA what your talking about, minnesota??? LMAO, and marion is 30 years old he has no bussiness being called young, and aaron gray only started one game last year and had 19 points and 22 rebounds, do your research little boy

Oh okay: he had a good game so he's one of the best young bigs. He certainly deserves to be named with the Aldridges, Greg Odens and Al Jeffersons. If you read my post I said that the Heat don't have a top young core and that Marion and Haslem are not young but are part of our core.

I guess Randy Foye Rashad McCants Corey Brewer Kevin Love Al Jefferson (21 and 11- not 4/2 like Aaron Gray) is not a good young starting lineup? I guess Ryan Gomes, Rodney Carney and Sebastian Telfair are not good young bench players? What a laughable core.
I'm 24 years old btw not that it matters. Stop being a homer. The bulls are deep but have no top players. Sorry.

BTW Gray averaged 4.3 and 2.8 in 10 minutes and those were largely inflated by that one huge game to end the season. Terrible PER which does not reflect the minutes given.

IversonIsKrazy
10-26-2008, 10:44 PM
t'wolves
grizzlies
nuggets

KG#1
10-26-2008, 11:08 PM
celtics - rondo is soon to be a top pg
powe baby o'bryant and perk will make solid bigs when kg retires
and a least one of our recent sg/sf picks will be good

tru
10-27-2008, 01:26 AM
lakers in 2010

pg farmar 87
sg kobe 95
sf ariza 85
pf gasol 92
c Bynum 92

your in dreamland.......

farmar 75
ariza 77

wake up..... its time for breakfast

tru
10-27-2008, 01:31 AM
Oh okay: he had a good game so he's one of the best young bigs. He certainly deserves to be named with the Aldridges, Greg Odens and Al Jeffersons. If you read my post I said that the Heat don't have a top young core and that Marion and Haslem are not young but are part of our core.

I guess Randy Foye Rashad McCants Corey Brewer Kevin Love Al Jefferson (21 and 11- not 4/2 like Aaron Gray) is not a good young starting lineup? I guess Ryan Gomes, Rodney Carney and Sebastian Telfair are not good young bench players? What a laughable core.
I'm 24 years old btw not that it matters. Stop being a homer. The bulls are deep but have no top players. Sorry.

BTW Gray averaged 4.3 and 2.8 in 10 minutes and those were largely inflated by that one huge game to end the season. Terrible PER which does not reflect the minutes given.

all these in bold SUCK,brewer is decent, what the hell are you thinking??? theve all been in the leugue 2+ years and have done nothing but SUCK, mcants??? you cant be serious, al jefferson i will agree but kevin love will be a flop......4 and 3 in 10 minutes would equal out to 16 and 12 in 40 minutes so you have NO POINT with aaron gray, 1 games does not affect stats that much..........

ROSE, NOAH, GORDON, HINRICH, THOMAS and you think minnesota tops that??? your smokin that good my friend................and what in the hell is a "homer"?

tru
10-27-2008, 01:36 AM
celtics - rondo is soon to be a top pg
powe baby o'bryant and perk will make solid bigs when kg retires
and a least one of our recent sg/sf picks will be good

another one in lala land.............RONDO!!!??? a top pg??? my grandma would be a top point guard in the nba if she was playing beside GARNETT,PIERCE, and ALLEN, YOU ABSOLUTLY POSITIVELY HAVE TO BE A CELTIC FAN