PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on Gilbert Arenas?

JordansBulls
10-25-2008, 11:36 PM
What do you think of him as a player? Is he a superstar? Is he someone that needs to be the 2nd option/2nd best player on the team in order for the team to have success? Is he a player that needs to be the PG on the team or the SG?

philab
10-25-2008, 11:50 PM
He needs to be the #1 option, whether it's good for the team or not. Gilbert won't accept a #2 role. Even if he acquiesced, he needs too many touches to be effective as a #2.

I'm not impressed by the guy at all. He's a great 1-on-1 player and a great shooter, but he's just not the type of player that leads teams to championships.

x_notorious
10-26-2008, 12:29 AM
He needs to be the #1 option, whether it's good for the team or not. Gilbert won't accept a #2 role. Even if he acquiesced, he needs too many touches to be effective as a #2.

I'm not impressed by the guy at all. He's a great 1-on-1 player and a great shooter, but he's just not the type of player that leads teams to championships.

Well said, agree 100%.

Litchris12
10-26-2008, 12:43 AM
i think he's overrated but the guy can play some ball. he jus has to be healthy man

LeBrowns
10-26-2008, 12:46 AM
Gilbert was on his way to becoming a superstar before he got hurt. But I hated his ego. Seriously "The Habachi" that's a flat out joke. I loved his game but he is not in the least bit humble. As of right now, someone mentioned it, Gilbert will not settle as anything less than a #1 option. So until he's completely healthy and ready to take that role, hes hurting the team.

amare#1
10-26-2008, 12:55 AM
He's a weird dude with a tone of talent but unfortunately struggles a lot with injuries. I think he needs to be the number 1 option on a team simply because he has too much talent to go to waste. But I don't think that he has the leadership to be the number 1 leader on a team. I think he needs to be paired with a good PG, who doesn't like to score too much, like Calderon, if his team is going to thrive.

Lakersfan2483
10-26-2008, 01:05 AM
What do you think of him as a player? Is he a superstar? Is he someone that needs to be the 2nd option/2nd best player on the team in order for the team to have success? Is he a player that needs to be the PG on the team or the SG?

He's a 2nd option guy, very talented, a volume shooter. He plays better as a shooting guard type as opposed to a point guard. He's not strong when it comes to making others better around him. He would be better suited on a team with a clear no. 1 option.

There are not too many guys I consider "Superstars," I don't think Arenas is a superstar, but he's a star.

23LBJCleBrowns
10-26-2008, 01:05 AM
Injury-Prone.

Yogi
10-26-2008, 01:23 AM
If he hadn't ever gotten injured at all, the Wizards would be considered a top team and he'd have a Hall of Fame career.

Now he'll most likely go down as another Penny Hardaway.

pete_one
10-26-2008, 01:33 AM
i think hes overpaid for being so injury prone and not a team player, he took that "paycut" but still, come on Gil... good personality though, hes cool.

Fool
10-26-2008, 01:34 AM
I used to hate him, but it seems like he's been humbled somewhat.

Kaptain Kanada
10-26-2008, 01:42 AM
He's like Lamond Murray.... the more points he scores the worse his team does.

The guy can score, but to the detriment of the team.

Chronz
10-26-2008, 02:15 AM
Seems like people are forgetting just how good this guy is

KG2TB
10-26-2008, 02:25 AM
One of the most overrated players in the league. He's a louder, bigger personality version of Ben Gordon who takes more shots.

FOBolous
10-26-2008, 02:31 AM
he overrates himself.

Rumeye
10-26-2008, 02:51 AM
Great talent.

barreleffact
10-26-2008, 03:22 AM
he's a great talent. anybody who can score 60 in the league is a monster and definately legit. However, he's a SG in a PG's body. He can score in bunches, but he doesnt make his team run as a unit. He doesnt make people better. He simply isnt the man you want if you expect a championship. I strongly think he will never win as a number 1 and that he cant be a number 2 based on his mentality and number of shots he needs to be successful...however, I havent seen him play with a solid big man who he could defer to, nor anyone on a team who is better than he. he is cocky, but he isnt pierce cocky. he knows there are players better and has a lot of respect for the game.

long story short, the man can score, get a lot of media attention, and is a flat out baller, but he isnt championship worthy IMO

JermanJaysFan
10-26-2008, 03:45 AM
I recognize that he is unbeleivably talented. In that respect, I call him a super star becuase many times he is entirely unstoppable and pretty much can go off for as many points as he wants. That said, he will not go down is history as an all time great most obviously because of injury issues, but also because, at least at this point, his ego isn't going to win him any championships.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
10-26-2008, 03:58 AM
Hibachi is a beast.

sp1derm00
10-26-2008, 05:48 AM
he overrates himself.

he might overrated himself... but no one outdoes paul pierce in that department.

BkOriginalOne
10-26-2008, 08:39 AM
I wouldn't call him a second option guy. I would say he could be part of a 1-2 punch kind of tandem. Assuming the wizards can find a post player to play with gilbert.

I wouldn't call him a superstar, I mean watch Areans highlights. They're basically buzzer beaters and layups, nothing too spectacular. He can put up points, though and a guy who can give you about 27-28 a night is worth something. Can't create plays, doesn't rebound or defend all that well.
But if you had gilbert a solid offene running pg, who can defend. A slaher at the 3, who can defend (butler is fine). A post up 4 (boozer, brand. i don't think jamison is the guy) and a shot blocking center who can rebound (sam dalembert for instance). The you have a team.

IndyRealist
10-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Arenas may get all the media attention, but Jamison is the team captain. Arenas is the clutch shooter, Jamison is the leader. It doesn't necessarily have to be the same person. In their system, if the PF can't step out to take the 3, then it doesn't work. It's all about cutting and moving without the ball to confuse the defense and get the best shot. That's why it was important for them to get Antwan back. For half a season when all three (Arenas, Butler, Jamison) where healthy, they were the #1 team in the league. What they need is a better supporting cast so that when, not if, one or more of the three go down that the backups can step in and start without losing too many games. They need a different starting C, someone who can change the outcome of a close game, instead being a warm body. When Antwan steps out for a 3, someone has to be inside who can rebound and finish.

Back to the point, is Arenas a star? He has the only player blog worth reading on NBA.com, so yeah. Is he a superstar? He has the talent and the showmanship. The boy can flatout score. People are comparing him to Ben Gordon? Gordon can't penetrate, can't finish around the rim, and doesn't handle the ball. He's closer to a less-durable Allen Iverson than a Ben Gordon.

Yes, he'll never be a premier defender. Kobe-stopper he is not. But neither was Reggie Miller. His game is about jump shooting, penetration, and clutch buckets. His biggest weakness is his ego, always a killer for your PG. He feels like he should be taking every big shot, that if the team is down that he personally needs to rescue them. Sometimes it works out, most times it doesn't. A couple of years ago people said the same thing about Kobe. He learned, I don't think it's beyond Arenas to grow, and become a better player because of it.

lakers4sho
10-26-2008, 11:24 AM
He's got game, but at 6'4", he's too short to be a shooting guard, and he has absolutely no point guard skills whatsoever.

He HAS to be the 1st option (he said so), and I think the Wiz have the right complementary pieces around him. He just has to stay healthy.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
10-26-2008, 02:02 PM
He's got game, but at 6'4", he's too short to be a shooting guard, and he has absolutely no point guard skills whatsoever.

He HAS to be the 1st option (he said so), and I think the Wiz have the right complementary pieces around him. He just has to stay healthy.

to short to be a shooting guard?????? Allen Iverson is 5 inches shorter and has played the 2 guard for 12 years..........

$ NyC $
10-26-2008, 02:10 PM
I think he is an AI type. His best position is like AI or Dwayne Wade, under-sized but need 2 play SG. He does rack up assists at around 6 but he shouldn't be the teams main distributor. He's an amazing scorer, gets to the line while hitting more than 2 threes a game. He can score from any where on the floor and is pretty athletic/strong. His only problem is he's extremely injury prone and prob. talks 2 much.

$ NyC $
10-26-2008, 02:12 PM
imagine an Arenas D.Howard combo..shizz

Hawkeye15
10-26-2008, 02:18 PM
I think he is slowing turning into Penny Hardaway or Grant Hill. A could have been. Hopefully, he gets healthy and stays that way, he is at the very least fun to watch, but no Arenas led team will win a ring.

JermanJaysFan
10-26-2008, 02:30 PM
imagine an Arenas D.Howard combo..shizz

That is exactly the kind of pairing he needs. Howard isn't as much of a go-to guy on offense. He is essentially the league's best garbage man, meaning that Gil would be free to have pretty much as many touches as he needs. Gil in that situation would be posting, assuming health, 30 per night. Dwight would be getting somewhere around 22, with a bunch of boards and blocks shooting a high percentage. That two man combo surrounded with nice role players and shooters could win a championship. Something quite similar to what Shaq and Wade had in Miami.

$ NyC $
10-26-2008, 02:33 PM
perfect example. Shaq and Wade. Except Gil can hit 3's which will also help Dwight and Dwight is a garbage man who could clean after Gil. I mean whos the best post player Gil has had 2 work with? Heres a short list of his centers, Etan Thomas, Brendan Haywood, Jared Jeffries, Andray Blatche. I think he's gonna need more help than that. Jamison is a great player but is a buffed up rebounding SF. He doesn't have that post game.

DreamShaker
10-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Seems like people are forgetting just how good this guy is

I agree....a guy who put's up 29/4/6 when he's healthy....he's clutch....he's got his flaws but heck I would take his flaws without hesitation on my team considering what he brings to the table....

DreamShaker
10-26-2008, 02:37 PM
perfect example. Shaq and Wade. Except Gil can hit 3's which will also help Dwight and Dwight is a garbage man who could clean after Gil. I mean whos the best post player Gil has had 2 work with? Heres a short list of his centers, Etan Thomas, Brendan Haywood, Jared Jeffries, Andray Blatche. I think he's gonna need more help than that. Jamison is a great player but is a buffed up rebounding SF. He doesn't have that post game.

Good post.

philab
10-26-2008, 02:38 PM

Haywood's a solid player. There are some expectations for Blatche and Thomas this season too.

DreamShaker
10-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Haywood's a solid player. There are some expectations for Blatche and Thomas this season too.

Yeah but do you ever expect them to ever be guys that will average anywhere near 15/10??

lakers4sho
10-26-2008, 02:49 PM
to short to be a shooting guard?????? Allen Iverson is 5 inches shorter and has played the 2 guard for 12 years..........

which explains the number of NBA titles he has...

philab
10-26-2008, 02:57 PM
Yeah but do you ever expect them to ever be guys that will average anywhere near 15/10??

Of course not. When you've already got Jamison and Butler and then throw in Brendan Haywood at center, you can't really complain about not have a supporting cast, though. The Spurs have never really had a great center either since the Admiral retired.

mariotubes
10-26-2008, 03:40 PM
hes gotta be the number 1 option but i dont think he needs to control the ball all the time (PG), just when it comes to crunch time he should have it the majority of the time making plays, but as its bin said before, he needs to stay healthy

$ NyC $
10-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Of course not. When you've already got Jamison and Butler and then throw in Brendan Haywood at center, you can't really complain about not have a supporting cast, though. The Spurs have never really had a great center either since the Admiral retired.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a center. They got Tim Duncan. That's enough.

chicagowhitesox
10-26-2008, 05:29 PM
He's a ******. Just look at my sig. Actual quote.

b_rad23
10-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Put him with a good post player (Al Jeff, Brand, Boozer etc.), a stud defensive SF (like a Howard, Wallace, Marion, Artest), a few good role players, a deep bench, and a good defensive coach and there's your title.

IndyRealist
10-26-2008, 06:20 PM

A supporting cast is not players 1-3. It's 4-10, the guys who come in for 15mpg and don't blow the lead you built up. The guys that, if your stars are having an off day, can come in and pour in some points, play defense, and get you back into it. The Spurs are good because of Duncan, Ginoboli, Parker, and Bowen. But they are champions because of Finley and Horry and Barry. Guys who aren't stars but work just as hard, and are just as essential. Who do the Wizards have?

Kaptain Kanada
10-26-2008, 06:21 PM

That is hilarious.... he just made a fact!

philab
10-26-2008, 06:34 PM
A supporting cast is not players 1-3. It's 4-10, the guys who come in for 15mpg and don't blow the lead you built up. The guys that, if your stars are having an off day, can come in and pour in some points, play defense, and get you back into it. The Spurs are good because of Duncan, Ginoboli, Parker, and Bowen. But they are champions because of Finley and Horry and Barry. Guys who aren't stars but work just as hard, and are just as essential. Who do the Wizards have?

All right, so "supporting cast" wasn't the right choice of words. "Help" maybe?

I wasn't trying to compare the Wizards to the Spurs nor was I trying to imply anything about championship teams really.

In fact, I wasn't even referring to the Wizards at all. My point was that if you're a player like Arenas and you've got Jamison and Butler in the lineup with you every night, you can't really complain about Brendan Haywood at center. View it like those four players in a vacuum. I was making no implications about the bench on this "hypothetical team" (that happens to resemble a real team, if that makes any sense).

Ragan
10-26-2008, 06:46 PM
He's a great scorer when healthy. And great nicknames. That's about the best compliment I can give him. A poor man's Iverson production wise. I can't see an Agent 0 led team ever beating a good team in a 7 game series. With the right cast maybe, but since he's blogged everyone into believing that he's a max money player, that won't ever happen.

Yogi
10-26-2008, 07:07 PM

If he's a ******, how can he type a blog?

Sox Appeal
10-26-2008, 07:08 PM
If he's a ******, how can he type a blog?

He pays someone to type it for him. :shrug:

JermanJaysFan
10-26-2008, 07:09 PM

That quote is brilliant.

kswissdaf
10-26-2008, 07:25 PM
He is an allstar but not a super star

EAGLES3658
10-26-2008, 07:31 PM
if he didnt get injured he would be a superstar. everyone says he hurts the wiz but when he was healthy along with the rest of the team we were #1 in the east at the all-star break 2 years ago

ShakeN'Bake
10-26-2008, 07:45 PM
I think he is a star not a superstar.

I mean I respect his skills but Im not a huge fan of the guy.

Rome
10-26-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm a huge fan. We need more NBA players like him, great skill and entertaining.
I think he's a all star player if healthy.

JIDsanity
10-26-2008, 09:04 PM
I love Gil

KG#1
10-26-2008, 11:14 PM
injured................

Beno7500
10-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Overrated, overpaid, and Injury prone.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
10-27-2008, 02:38 AM
which explains the number of NBA titles he has...

so cuz he's undersized that why he's never won a title? Ok? :eyebrow:

FlawlessKB24
10-27-2008, 03:25 AM

you know whats funny about that quote?
he stole it from a comedian. it's not even his line.
he came out in his blog saying he was sorry, but if it wasnt for him, no one would know who the comedian is. it's funny because i forgot the comedians name

LAKERS 24/7
10-27-2008, 04:10 AM
I wouldn't call him a second option guy. I would say he could be part of a 1-2 punch kind of tandem. Assuming the wizards can find a post player to play with gilbert.

I wouldn't call him a superstar, I mean watch Areans highlights. They're basically buzzer beaters and layups, nothing too spectacular. He can put up points, though and a guy who can give you about 27-28 a night is worth something. Can't create plays, doesn't rebound or defend all that well.
But if you had gilbert a solid offene running pg, who can defend. A slaher at the 3, who can defend (butler is fine). A post up 4 (boozer, brand. i don't think jamison is the guy) and a shot blocking center who can rebound (sam dalembert for instance). The you have a team.

Oh yea, buzzer beaters come a dime a dozen :rolleyes:

TMAC94
10-27-2008, 04:48 AM
i believe that he is a SG not a point gaurd.

CrowninMe
10-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Hate the Ben Gordon comparison. Gilbert can get 2 steals a game and take it to the rack with authority, unlike little Ben can. He's only a #1 scoring option, and it would be a locker room cancer if he was a #2. Hopefully he comes back strong in December. He's on my fantasy squad.

JayW_1023
10-29-2008, 05:56 AM
Arenas is a very entertaining guy but I'm not a fan of his game. He is a talented shooting guard that poses as a point guard. He isn't a willing passer unless it counts as an assist and he takes too many bad shots. Meanwhile he is strictly a gambler on defense.

krazyasiankid
10-31-2008, 11:42 PM
I reckon he is great guy to have on a team.. Some personality on and off the court. Great shooter but not wat you would call a "traditional" point guard

Chronz
11-01-2008, 09:12 PM
When was the last time a traditional led his team to a championship and how many teams in the last decade or so won a title with a shoot first pg?

MiamiHeat
11-01-2008, 10:13 PM
since I found out what his nickname Hibachi means I think he is totally awesome mix with a douche :)

NYMetros
11-01-2008, 10:17 PM
I think he is a superstar, when healthy, of course. He's as good of an offensive player as any player in the NBA. I'd probably put him on the same level as McGrady right now. Great offensive player, but has trouble staying healthy.

bogdanrom
11-01-2008, 10:55 PM
If he wouldn't get injured he could have easily been a superstar in this league. The second best scoring option in the NBA second to Kobe. He wasn't bad at passing. He did have no defense what so ever. People hate him because he's cocky and talking a lot of *******. Actually he realized he was being to extreme and has toned down. But if he didn't get injured he could have been easily top 15 and maybe top 10.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
11-01-2008, 11:07 PM
He is a good player. I don't really like him, but he is a very good scorer.

MTar786
11-02-2008, 11:22 AM
good scorer but doesnt have what it takes to win a title as 'the main guy' on his team.. he'll NEVER win it as the main guy.. he's a type of guy who needs like atleast 2 other super stars to win it. guys like kobe, shaq, duncan, mj, magic only needed one other super star. guys like bird, kg etc.. needed two other super stars.. (n i dont mean all star. i mean superstar)

example.

arenas (super star)
butler (all star)
jamison (all star)

= no championship.. 2nd round exit team

arenas (super star)
paul pierce (super star)
dwight howard (super star)

=championship

Scheck
11-02-2008, 12:03 PM
I love Gilbert Arenas, I think that because it has been 2 years since he has been healthy, everyone has forgotten how good he was

As others have mentioned, when the Wizards had Caron, Jamison, and Arenas all healthy they were first in the East!

JOSETHEALLSTAR
11-02-2008, 03:59 PM
he needs to be healthy

dgo24
11-02-2008, 07:53 PM
He is overrated.

JayW_1023
11-03-2008, 08:25 AM
When was the last time a traditional led his team to a championship and how many teams in the last decade or so won a title with a shoot first pg?

Two years ago...The Spurs with Tony Parker. Although he'd just lucky to be on a team with Tim Duncan.

I still don't get why many players avoid playing for The Spurs. If players like Corey Maggette cared about their legacy instead of their stats, they'd be in black and silver right now.

Oh,wait...I guess it's the small market thing :)

AntwanN21
11-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Though Finacially it wouldnt work.....

my thoughts are he should become a raptor:):)

Calderon
Arenas
Moon
Bosh
Onea'l

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!

colinskik
11-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Why's everybody hating so hard on Gil. That one year (before injuries, can't remember the exact year) he was sick and carried the Wiz. Injuries aren't his fault ... but unfortunately his injuries may have severely hurt his career. Not only is he no longer a superstar quality player but we have to see if he'll even be able to play consistently in the league.

As far as his attitude, he's hilarious. The Hibachi gag is hilarious. And he backs up his words with performance (at least used to). Remember, he was pissed from draft day cause he felt he got no respect and he showed a lot of people what they passed on. A lot of other players havve tried to do the same with no results to show for it.

Frank Costanza
11-03-2008, 05:46 PM
hes a dik, but he can play, he talks to much, he needs to get over what happened to him in the past, now ppl accept you go out and try to play with your team if you want to win a ring