PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Garnett vs Lebron James, if building a team from scratch and both the same age

JordansBulls
10-25-2008, 01:15 AM
Kevin Garnett vs Lebron James, if building a team from scratch and both the same age who do you build around?

NOTE: Usually you hear build big over small unless the small is MJ or Magic, but I don't consider Lebron a guy who is small.

SportsManiacSJ
10-25-2008, 01:27 AM
Ill take KG cuz how often does a big man play relentlessly and could be so versatile? In my opinion i would rather build around garnett.

barreleffact
10-25-2008, 03:14 AM
lebron. no contest. he's one of those special elite players in history

Mallpha
10-25-2008, 03:25 AM
LeBron took avrage team to finals and that took him 4 years a thing Garnett couldnt do for 12 years.

Reasonable pick would be James, my main problem with Garnett is he doesnt want to take responsibility for the team in key moments.

blackjack_119
10-25-2008, 03:30 AM
lebron. no contest. he's one of those special elite players in history

And KG will go down as one of the top 5 PF of all time... My list would be:
1. Duncan
2. Malone
3. Barkley
4. KG
5. Petit

As dominant as LeBron is, the NBA has always been dominated by dominant bigs. I'll take a 7'0" DPOY/MVP with range and a versatile offensive game any day over a Point-Forward who is the best slasher in the league. It is much easier to build a team around a dominant big than a dominant wing.

blackjack_119
10-25-2008, 03:35 AM
LeBron took avrage team to finals and that took him 4 years a thing Garnett couldnt do for 12 years.

Reasonable pick would be James, my main problem with Garnett is he doesnt want to take responsibility for the team in key moments.

LeBron took a team in the EAST to the finals. So did AI... but you wouldn't build a team around him before KG. The talent difference between the East and West in their respective times is incomparable. LeBron wouldn't have been able to beat Shaq/Kobe or Robinson/Duncan either. Those Wolves teams were additionally hampered by the loss of all those first round picks.

Mallpha
10-25-2008, 03:56 AM
LeBron took a team in the EAST to the finals. So did AI... but you wouldn't build a team around him before KG. The talent difference between the East and West in their respective times is incomparable. LeBron wouldn't have been able to beat Shaq/Kobe or Robinson/Duncan either. Those Wolves teams were additionally hampered by the loss of all those first round picks.

East West is always an argument that will be there but as i said fact that LeBron did something K.G could not do is one thing and its not primary for me.

Like i said my main concern about Garnett is he just doesnt want to be the main guy in key moments and its a very serious problem if he should be a player you want to build around who else if not your team leader should carry your team on his shoulders?

Ansy
10-25-2008, 04:35 AM
I love me some Garnett, and I generally overrate KG compared to other stars, but I have to go LeBron. He's done too much with too little around him to not deserve massive respect. Jordan, Kareem, Shaq, Magic, Hakeem, LeBron.

I see him as the 6th greatest player in the past 30 years. He's that good IMO.

op12
10-25-2008, 07:38 AM
I love me some Garnett, and I generally overrate KG compared to other stars, but I have to go LeBron. He's done too much with too little around him to not deserve massive respect. Jordan, Kareem, Shaq, Magic, Hakeem, LeBron.

I see him as the 6th greatest player in the past 30 years. He's that good IMO.

no bird in this top 6. shameful. with that being said right now i would say kg. when he came in the league and become an elite player he was generally seen as 1 of the best in the league. he is an all time player and so is lebron. bron could change my mind, just not at the moment. he is ridiculous though, but i have to go with the big, kg.

Bruno
10-25-2008, 08:24 AM
JB, you should ask the same question but with Kobe instead of KG. General managers were asked "If you were starting a franchise today and could sign any player in the NBA, who would it be?" The majority,66.7% voted James, with Bryant coming in second at 18.5%. How would the posters on PSD vote if they could take a 23 year old Bryant, or a 23 year old James to start their franchise?

I voted James for this poll.

l GeArs l
10-25-2008, 08:35 AM
Lebron, but Kevin could be the best 2nd option in the nba at both ends of the floor.

_Sn1P3r_
10-25-2008, 09:05 AM
LeBron for me.

JayW_1023
10-25-2008, 09:12 AM
KG because his impact on defense is bigger than LeBrons. This game is played on both ends and a two way superstar big man is always easier to build around than a perimeter player.

If LeBron goes to win a title or two-three I'll probably re-evaluate opinion...but now I'm going with the guy whose defense has anchored a championship foundation.

l GeArs l
10-25-2008, 09:27 AM
KG because his impact on defense is bigger than LeBrons. This game is played on both ends and a two way superstar big man is always easier to build around than a perimeter player.

If LeBron goes to win a title or two-three I'll probably re-evaluate opinion...but now I'm going with the guy whose defense has anchored a championship foundation.

Yeah but then again KG had paul and ray-ray, so that helps too.

JayW_1023
10-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Garnett also gave the Lakers with Kobe and Shaq a good series...looking completely unstoppable. Ray Allen and Paul Pierce are a whole lot better than Cassell and Sprewell were at that time.

I like James alot but until he wins a championship I go with KG.

PhillyLuver
10-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Lebron, less help and still took the Celts with KG and other stars to 7

$ NyC $
10-25-2008, 10:00 AM
LeBron bring so much talent to the table that you can put a decent pg a decent sg a decent pf and a decent c around him and he'll do good. He rebounds,assists,blocks,steals like any other position.

bostncelts34
10-25-2008, 10:02 AM
KG. The whole "big man" thing, yes but also, when can u find a guy like KG with his intensity and desire to win. He is also a very versitile big man. I know you cant go wrong with either guy here, but ill take KG. Easy to find wing scorer's then defensive AND offensive versitile big men :)

Faneik
10-25-2008, 11:09 AM
I voted Garnett (homer).

Lebron is the Shaq of SF's.

And Rose will be the Shaq of PG's.

Shaq:confused:= dominates by strength

Fayzon10
10-25-2008, 11:10 AM
I would definitely take KG a big that defends like he does is rare and can transform any team Lebron is a talent that we haven't seen before on the offensive end but an elite two way player is unmatched especially a big

Ragan
10-25-2008, 11:14 AM
LeBron, not even close. First of all he's 6'9 (the same size as Carlos Boozer) so it's not like he's that small. Second of all if took KG forever and 2 all stars to do ANYTHING in the playoffs, LeBron took a scrap heap to the finals (those games against the Pistons in the East finals were some of the most incredible, unstoppable basketball I've ever seen). Third LBJ is one of the best game finishers in the NBA, whereas KG has always been known as a guy who disappears at the end of games (even in "his" championship run, he deferred to his teammates late and wasn't even his teams MVP in the finals).

Big over small makes some sense, as C and PG are harder to find than a wingman, but c'mon. I'd take Duncan and consider Howard over KG even. Would you take Hakeem over MJ because it's a big over a wing? No, KG is great, LBJ is one of the greats.

Mallpha
10-25-2008, 11:23 AM
LeBron, not even close. First of all he's 6'9 (the same size as Carlos Boozer) so it's not like he's that small. Second of all if took KG forever and 2 all stars to do ANYTHING in the playoffs, LeBron took a scrap heap to the finals (those games against the Pistons in the East finals were some of the most incredible, unstoppable basketball I've ever seen). Third LBJ is one of the best game finishers in the NBA, whereas KG has always been known as a guy who disappears at the end of games (even in "his" championship run, he deferred to his teammates late and wasn't even his teams MVP in the finals).

Big over small makes some sense, as C and PG are harder to find than a wingman, but c'mon. I'd take Duncan and consider Howard over KG even. Would you take Hakeem over MJ because it's a big over a wing? No, KG is great, LBJ is one of the greats.

Exactly how i see it.