PDA

View Full Version : Penny Hardaway and Grant Hill

barreleffact
10-24-2008, 02:53 PM
how high were their ceilings? My boy seems to think Penny could have been on Jordan's level or about top 5 all time. I've heard Hill could have been top 5 for his position before, and stat wise he started out like lebron. I was growing up while they were really good and I didnt get to see them play. all I can really see is their stats and some youtubage. but penny doesnt look at all like he wouldve been top 5 ever to me. maybe not even top 5 pg ever. how good could they have been?

l GeArs l
10-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Penny was a baller, but then again he played pg for like his first 7 seasons, and its not easy playing defense PG to PG when the guy your guarding is 6"7 1/2 so he had size advantage. When he move to the Sg postion he wasn't as good. As for Hill you never know i dont think he could of been the next micheal jordan.

cmoneytakemoney
10-24-2008, 03:29 PM
If Grant Hill never got injured he could have been top 5 all time easily. Not the next Jordan. They both have totally different games but, top 5 without a question. Penny could have been very good but, everyone who watched Grant Hill play in his Detroit Pistons days could tell you that he could have been great.

cantstopthee
10-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Grant Hill had all the tools to be the best at his postion all time,if not number 1 then at very least 3,i watched almost every game he played here in detroit and he was amazing.

i guess fate had the best of him

the real question is, will hill even be a HOF`er ?????

l GeArs l
10-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Grant Hill had all the tools to be the best at his postion all time,if not number 1 then at very least 3,i watched almost every game he played here in detroit and he was amazing.

i guess fate had the best of him

the real question is, will hill even be a HOF`er ?????

Nope.

Chronz
10-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Not top 5 material, nor top 20 but damn good. Back in the day Hill vs Penny was kind of like a downgraded argument of Kobe vs Bron/Tmac, Hill put up the crazy numbers and flamed out in the playoffs whereas Penny led his team to greater success and to the finals as a number 2 dude.

It depends on your preference but Hill was the guy for me, I have a hard on for tall PG's and the mismatches Penny would create for his team was unbelievable, he was too tall for PG's, too quick for forwards, and if you put your SG on him then that meant either Nick Anderson or Dennis Scott had a midget guarding him. Penny made it extremely hard to matchup against his team, Hill was more of a matchup nightmare and could score on anyone but he didnt make those around him better the way Penny did. I'd still take Hill because of his all-around dominance, but Penny was alot of fun to watch, then again when I remember Penny in the playoffs, its hard not to take him.

JordansBulls
10-24-2008, 03:50 PM
how high were their ceilings? My boy seems to think Penny could have been on Jordan's level or about top 5 all time. I've heard Hill could have been top 5 for his position before, and stat wise he started out like lebron. I was growing up while they were really good and I didnt get to see them play. all I can really see is their stats and some youtubage. but penny doesnt look at all like he wouldve been top 5 ever to me. maybe not even top 5 pg ever. how good could they have been?

Techinically they were good as hell. To me they were in-between the difference between MJ and Pippen. So if one is at worst top 3 all time and the other is top 30 then they could have been in between that range, maybe between 15-25.

Lakersfan2483
10-24-2008, 04:00 PM
If not for injuries, both players would have gone down as two of the greatest at there respective positions. Penny and Grant were fun to watch back in the day.

Frank Costanza
10-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Techinically they were good as hell. To me they were in-between the difference between MJ and Pippen. So if one is at worst top 3 all time and the other is top 30 then they could have been in between that range, maybe between 15-25.

good point, couldnt have said it better myself, i think though ppl will still consider Hill a better player when its all over cause he was able to paly albeit not the same level but still played after his injuries , made numerous comebacks and found a place for him self in the leauge, penny has been healthy for yrs and hasnt been able to crack a rotation in yrs, he seems almost like a fluke when you look at how assly he has become wheras grant hill i think was the real deal just got an injury that is the most reoccuring of all anlke
HOF-neither, but Hill a lil consideration for the yrs he was at his prime

amare#1
10-24-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm not sure about Penny, but before Hill got injured he was looking like the next MJ.