PDA

View Full Version : Draft Derby 09

Hellcrooner
10-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Ok every now and then appears a talent that no one can deny and every teams wants to draft him and teams tank a lot to get the first pick, or try to trade like crazy for the pick etc etc.

Examples

Magic Johnson Derby.

Akeem Deerby ( Yes believe it or not not a single GM would have drafted MJ if they had the First pick, that year).

Ewing Derby

Shaquille Derby.

Iverson Derby.

Duncan Derby.

MIng Derby.

Lebron DErby.

ODen Derby.

Its curious that a lot of those derbys have not been won by regular LOSING teams , instead they have been won by "Lucky" contenders who had traded for a pick that was supposed to not be that high and then the original owner had an unexpected flop ( Magic Johnson and Lakers) OR by teams that had an "unlucy" season but were in reality very good, Like Spurs and Duncan, or simply beat the odds, Blazers and ODen.

OK next year there is another Derby, the RUbio Derby.

Wich Losing teams do you think could make a real leap foward if they where awarded the pick?

Wich Contender or semicontender if having a bad season decides to tank could become a RING winning Menace if being lukcy enough to gethim?

I for example Cant help but imagine What woudl hapen if Blazers or NUggets missed the playoffs and had the lucky strike to get the pick.

JordansBulls
10-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Ok every now and then appears a talent that no one can deny and every teams wants to draft him and teams tank a lot to get the first pick, or try to trade like crazy for the pick etc etc.

Examples

Magic Johnson Derby.

Akeem Deerby ( Yes believe it or not not a single GM would have drafted MJ if they had the First pick, that year).

Ewing Derby

Shaquille Derby.

Iverson Derby.

Duncan Derby.

MIng Derby.

Lebron DErby.

ODen Derby.

Its curious that a lot of those derbys have not been won by regular LOSING teams , instead they have been won by "Lucky" contenders who had traded for a pick that was supposed to not be that high and then the original owner had an unexpected flop ( Magic Johnson and Lakers) OR by teams that had an "unlucy" season but were in reality very good, Like Spurs and Duncan, or simply beat the odds, Blazers and ODen.

Wich Losing teams do you think could make a real leap foward if they where awarded the pick?

Wich Contender or semicontender if having a bad season decides to tank could become a RING winning Menace if being lukcy enough to gethim?

I for example Cant help but imagine What woudl hapen if Blazers or NUggets missed the playoffs and had the lucky strike to get the pick.

2003 you could have had Melo go 1st as well had Cleveland not gotten the 1st pick.

As far as most teams would have taking Akeem, I agree. Up until that time you needed a dominant big man to win titles.

Even the owner of the Bulls had this to say about MJ

Source: Sportsillustrated (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/news/2001/08/02/sayitaintso_rockets/)

"Michael is a very good offensive player but not an overpowering one," Rod Thorn, then the Bulls' GM, said after drafting Jordan. "He's not the kind of guy who will single-handedly turn around a franchise, and I'd never ask him to do that."

While he was expected to be a good player, no one figured he would be as great as he became. So of course Hakeem was the smart choice, and maybe even Bowie was at the time as well.

As far as next years draft, I'm not sold on Rubio just yet that he will be that good, but he may be the best player in next year's draft. I haven't followed too many college prospects recently or intentional players.

23LBJCleBrowns
10-24-2008, 05:23 PM
No, no matter what IMO LeBron wouldve gone first. Why didnt Carmelo go second then?

l GeArs l
10-24-2008, 05:31 PM
No, no matter what IMO LeBron wouldve gone first. Why didnt Carmelo go second then?

Thats what I'm saying. :clap:

blackjack_119
10-24-2008, 11:52 PM

As good as Rubio is, I don't think he is the odds on favorite to go number one overall. When you look at the teams that will likely compete for that pick, most would use it at another position:

Oklahoma City: Blake Griffin. Like Rose going to Chicago and LeBron going to Cleveland, OKC would take the hometown kid who fills a position of need (PF).

New York: Demar DeRozan. The Knicks need a star. The player most likely to become a star in the league is Demar DeRozan. The 6'6" SG out of Compton HS is an athletic freak and could run all day in Mike D's system.

New Jersey: Blake Griffin/BJ Mullins. The one position that the Nets are set at is PG (Devin Harris) in their rebuilding project. (This assumes Vince Carter will not be a part of the future. Despite acquiring Yi and Brook Lopez, a dominant post player is still the direction that they would lean.

Minnesota: ??? One thing is certain in Minnesota... Al Jefferson is a beast. Major questions including the success of Randy Foye (at PG or SG) and the ability of Jefferson to play center with the smaller Kevin Love will be sorted out this year. If they won the draft lottery, they could take Mullens, Griffin, DeRozan or Rubio (if Rubio comes over) or they could completely botch the pick like Minnesota so frequently does.

Sacramento: Mullens/Griffin. Kevin Martin is a stud. Donte Green will be nice too. They needs a legit post presence. Thompson (PF) and Hawes (C) have a even chance of panning out in my opinion. The one that looks better after this season would likely be matched up Mullins (C) or Griffin (PF).

Charlotte: They took Augustin when Lopez was the obvious choice and now want to trade Gerald Wallace to start Stash. You can't predict how that team will draft. Maybe they will take Rubio... and the John Wall the next year. MJ can be the Matt Millen of the NBA except he will always draft PG's instead of WR's.

marvILLous
10-25-2008, 03:42 AM
rubio isn't the clear number one pick? what are you saying?

my choice is Griffin or Derozan. I like derozan though he's just crazy

DreamShaker
10-25-2008, 03:53 AM

Because Darko lead his team to a championship his rookie year....duh!

DreamShaker
10-25-2008, 03:57 AM
Rubio looks like a star....I have been hearing about him for a few years now and in the Olympics he wasn't even 18 yet....he looks like he's gonna be special....but if a star breaks out in college this year after some of the Euro busts as of late and the best Euro this season seemingly D League bound on the freaking Knicks....GM's might be afraid to draft a Euro with the top pick.....even if he is the best....

SteveNash
10-25-2008, 07:16 AM
While he was expected to be a good player, no one figured he would be as great as he became. So of course Hakeem was the smart choice, and maybe even Bowie was at the time as well.

As far as next years draft, I'm not sold on Rubio just yet that he will be that good, but he may be the best player in next year's draft. I haven't followed too many college prospects recently or intentional players.

everyone was saying that Jordan was a can't miss superstar. Thorn probably said that because they hype was too much pressure on a rookie. There was no doubt that there was a lot of hype for Jordan.

As for Rubio...

Rubio probably won't be drafted first this year.

Rubio might not even enter this years draft, it would sure suck for an NBA team to tank the season and watch as Rubio stays over in Europe.

hotpotato1092
10-25-2008, 02:33 PM
As good as Rubio is, I don't think he is the odds on favorite to go number one overall. When you look at the teams that will likely compete for that pick, most would use it at another position:

Oklahoma City: Blake Griffin. Like Rose going to Chicago and LeBron going to Cleveland, OKC would take the hometown kid who fills a position of need (PF).

New York: Demar DeRozan. The Knicks need a star. The player most likely to become a star in the league is Demar DeRozan. The 6'6" SG out of Compton HS is an athletic freak and could run all day in Mike D's system.

New Jersey: Blake Griffin/BJ Mullins. The one position that the Nets are set at is PG (Devin Harris) in their rebuilding project. (This assumes Vince Carter will not be a part of the future. Despite acquiring Yi and Brook Lopez, a dominant post player is still the direction that they would lean.

Minnesota: ??? One thing is certain in Minnesota... Al Jefferson is a beast. Major questions including the success of Randy Foye (at PG or SG) and the ability of Jefferson to play center with the smaller Kevin Love will be sorted out this year. If they won the draft lottery, they could take Mullens, Griffin, DeRozan or Rubio (if Rubio comes over) or they could completely botch the pick like Minnesota so frequently does.

Sacramento: Mullens/Griffin. Kevin Martin is a stud. Donte Green will be nice too. They needs a legit post presence. Thompson (PF) and Hawes (C) have a even chance of panning out in my opinion. The one that looks better after this season would likely be matched up Mullins (C) or Griffin (PF).

Charlotte: They took Augustin when Lopez was the obvious choice and now want to trade Gerald Wallace to start Stash. You can't predict how that team will draft. Maybe they will take Rubio... and the John Wall the next year. MJ can be the Matt Millen of the NBA except he will always draft PG's instead of WR's.

No Brandon Jennings? Really? Have you forgotten about him since he went to Europe, because I haven't. As a diehard knicks fan I can tell you that we NEED a point guard, a franchise point guard. I'm not denying that DeMarr DeRozan will be an excellent player because I think he will be, but we'll get out superstar in 2010 (LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Dirk, Pierce, Yao, Kobe, Pau, Amare, one of them will come to the big apple), but now we need a franchise point guard to run D'antoni's offense so that when free agents are looking at us, they won't be thinking "hmm, is it worth coming here to play with chris duhon", they'll be thinking "Catch alley oops from Brandon Jennings, Definately!". I think Ricky will be a solid NBA point guard, I compare him to Mike Bibby. But when I see Jennings, I can't help but see a little chris paul in him, and that's what New York needs right now

_Sn1P3r_
10-25-2008, 02:59 PM

Ask Detroit's FO. If they drafted him though, I don't know if he would've become the offensive player he is today because Tay is holding down that SF spot but he could've probably become a better defensive player.