View Full Version : Hack-A-Shaq

michaellui11
10-24-2008, 03:31 AM
This tactic really disgusts me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5g6KSlUP9w&feature=related
What do you guys think?

barreleffact
10-24-2008, 03:34 AM
i like it. its not the best to watch but it is smart. make the easy 2 and shut up

stawka
10-24-2008, 04:13 AM
Nobody likes it but the team playing against Shaq, and the fans of that team. That said, it is an extremely useful and effective tactic

S.J.Basketball
10-24-2008, 04:20 AM
This tactic really disgusts me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5g6KSlUP9w&feature=related
What do you guys think?

That's why you're not a coach. When a player can't hit a damn free throw it's a turnover. He had his entire career to practice his free throws, but he sucks at them even more now than he did earlier in his career.

If Shaq could HIT his free throws consistently HACK-A-SHAQ wouldn't exist. He's got no one to blame, but himself.

Like Jalen Rose says...it's a game of skill and every court has a free throw line for a reason.

stawka
10-24-2008, 04:31 AM
Jalen Rose hasn't done a thing to be talking smack about HOF'ers.

Shaq can't hit free throw's because he broke both his wrist's as a kid when he fell out of a tree - which is why he never bends his wrist's! Have you seen him shoot free throw's? His wrist's don't bend because he cant bend them quickly enough to release a shot. Do you think he's ******** and just cant do the same shot as everyone else? Obviously it's for a reason.

The whole Rick Barry underhand shot thing is a different story.

barreleffact
10-24-2008, 04:38 AM
That's why you're not a coach. When a player can't hit a damn free throw it's a turnover. He had his entire career to practice his free throws, but he sucks at them even more now than he did earlier in his career.

If Shaq could HIT his free throws consistently HACK-A-SHAQ wouldn't exist. He's got no one to blame, but himself.

Like Jalen Rose says...it's a game of skill and every court has a free throw line for a reason.

exactly what I was saying to my friend earlier today. if he was an 80% FT shooter, no way would teams have used it.

stawka, i like how you say its effective, but you cant really just say the fans of the team. i personally hate the spurs. i respect them but i hate them too. still, i like the hack-a-shaq. their gonna use it against d-12 too and thats ok. i love d-12 but he'll just have to rise to the challenge.

LAKERS 24/7
10-24-2008, 04:52 AM

Shaq can't hit free throw's because he broke both his wrist's as a kid when he fell out of a tree - which is why he never bends his wrist's! Have you seen him shoot free throw's? His wrist's don't bend because he cant bend them quickly enough to release a shot. Do you think he's ******** and just cant do the same shot as everyone else? Obviously it's for a reason.

Kobe's has broken his wrist too, as I'm sure some other NBA players have also. Your point? :eyebrow: He should find a way to make them, no excuses.

stawka
10-24-2008, 04:55 AM
Kobe has dislocated his pinkie finger, I have been playing for 2 years with a dislocated pinkie. I haven't heard or read of anything to do with broken wrists.

And does a 4-time Champion have to improve his free throws to impress you or me? I don't think so buddy.

junion
10-24-2008, 05:34 AM
watching, basketball, i HATE the hack-a-shaq

But as a tactic, i think it's effective.

there's nothing wrong exploiting the opponents' weakness. if there's a small team vs a big team: the small team isn't going to slow down - they're gonna run - exploiting the bigs' weakness - speed.

the big teams are going to take it into the lane, and back up the smaller opponent - and exploit the height.

If someone injured their right knee, and is recovering, the opponent is going to try to take them off the dribble.

to solve that problem, shaq should make his free throws, then it wouldn't be a weakness, and teams can't exploit it.

BigSteve
10-24-2008, 06:15 AM
Half of the game of basketball is all about finding a teams weakness and using it against them. He is possibly the most dominate low post player the league has ever seen. If he is so dominate at one thing but so poor at another you would be a fool to not use his inadequacy against him.

Sox Appeal
10-24-2008, 06:47 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if that effects his Free Throw shooting a little bit, but I wouldn't say that's the main reason he sucks at Free Throws. The main reason he can't make them is because he has NO coordination in his body.

lavis
10-24-2008, 07:03 AM
I hate the fact that you can ruin the end of the game by clearly intentional fouls and watching boring ft shooting and endless timeouts.. In hockey the end of a tight game is the best kind of hockey. In basketball the end of a tight game is the worst kind of basketball. I think that's a major problem with the sport.

I don't care if the fouled one is Shaq or somebody else. They should make the end of the game more enjoyable and sportsman-like.

When it technically isn't an intentional foul when fouling a bad freethrow shooter, everyone with atleast a little bit of reason knows it's exactly intentional. And should be 2 + possession.

HiphopRelated
10-24-2008, 07:39 AM
fouling at the end is game management

if you're down 3 with 20 seconds to go, you aren't fouling?? You wouldn't have a job as coach next week

SteveNash
10-24-2008, 07:42 AM
The tactic doesn't really disgust me, what disgusts me is Shaq not being able to make free throws

hdxstunts1
10-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Its a good strategy. The guy should've learned how to shoot free throws. I use this when coaching my 8th and 9th graders all the time. I like it and i will use it when coaching as long as i can.

_Sn1P3r_
10-24-2008, 10:51 AM
Watching it, I don't like it but I gotta say it's effective if the guy can't make his free throws.

still1ballin
10-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Learn to make free throws.

Kabowdos
10-24-2008, 11:23 AM
It is fine because it is legal with the rules of the NBA. It is rather an odd game plan and I think shows that you can not handle Shaq without intentionally fouling him. Shows weakness.

Lebron23
10-24-2008, 11:25 AM
That was also the same weakness of Wilt Chamberlain, Duncan, Ben Wallace, and Shaq they are great players, but they are very poor Free Throw Shooters.

The Lakers won 3 NBA Championships despite Shaq being a victim of the Hack a Shaq Strategy because Shaq was very much unstoppable during his prime.

Shaq will never improve his FT Shooting because he's on a decline right now, and you cannot teach an old dog some new tricks.

Sharkaac
10-24-2008, 12:08 PM
I voted "no" I don't like it. But after watching the video, I do have to say, "the free throw line is there for a reason". All players are paid millions, why the hell can't a few of them shoot free throws as to not mess up the flow of a game and potentially hurt their team. I change my vote to "yes" its a good rule.

l GeArs l
10-24-2008, 12:20 PM
I think any team that does that is full of ****.

BALLER71
10-24-2008, 12:55 PM
That's a damn shame.
:pity:

pete_one
10-24-2008, 01:03 PM
yeah i love to see Shaq struggle at the FT line. i think..

barreleffact
10-24-2008, 02:25 PM
I hate the fact that you can ruin the end of the game by clearly intentional fouls and watching boring ft shooting and endless timeouts.. In hockey the end of a tight game is the best kind of hockey. In basketball the end of a tight game is the worst kind of basketball. I think that's a major problem with the sport.

I don't care if the fouled one is Shaq or somebody else. They should make the end of the game more enjoyable and sportsman-like.

When it technically isn't an intentional foul when fouling a bad freethrow shooter, everyone with atleast a little bit of reason knows it's exactly intentional. And should be 2 + possession.

after the 2 minute mark, players can only foul the player with the ball. otherwise it is 2+ posession. sounds pretty fair to me

leftie5
10-24-2008, 02:40 PM
When you are up by double digits and foul off the ball it disrupts the flow of the game. I could understand if you are losing, but really it is just finding a loophole in the rules and takes away from the game. I don't blame people for doing it though.

Plus, it's pretty hard to shoot free throws when his hands are so damn big. It would be like us trying to shoot FT's with a softball.

Some players are just not good at shooting FT's. Russel and Chamberlain couldn't shoot them well either.

RapsGuy23
10-24-2008, 02:42 PM
I don't particularly like the tactic but its been proven to be effective. Then again I cannot understand how Shaq can be such a horrible free throw shooter.

$ NyC $
10-24-2008, 02:54 PM
It's the players fault. The best players turn their weaknesses into strengths so they can basically try 2 have no flaws. Let's say Shaq was a career even 75% shooter, he def. would have averaged like 32 ppg.

Raps08-09 Champ
10-24-2008, 03:49 PM
It's a good strategy to win games

However, I don't ike the idea of doing it when your ahead they keep doing it.

You can do it just at the right time like when your trying to catch up

Raps08-09 Champ
10-24-2008, 03:55 PM
I don't particularly like the tactic but its been proven to be effective. Then again I cannot understand how Shaq can be such a horrible free throw shooter.

My theory:

Big, strong centers like Shaq, and howard who dominate around the basket and barely shoot aren't use to it

They do not have the feel of shooting

Players like Yao, Gasol, and most european big men are good at it because theyve played in european leagues/game and they're kind of game is shooting and they dont ussually turn their back to the basket

When smaller players go to the free throw line, you can see that they have big arch when they shoot a free throw

but for big, strong player, the don't have much of an arch because they are almost at the same level as the net so it usually hits the front or back of the net

northsider
10-24-2008, 04:15 PM
It is a good strategy it is just etremely boring to watch a game played out like this. I mean you really can't do anything about it. Just like a IBB in baseball they are two completely different sports but, they have the same intentions of taking a game changer out of the equation.

stawka
10-26-2008, 07:22 AM
Extremely effective, but extremely dirty.

Next year if the Suns play the Spurs in the Playoff's, why don't we send one of our reserves in crunch-time, to kick Duncan in the kneecap so it inverts, causing his career to come to an end, the Spurs players to get suspended when they attack the reserve that hit Duncan!

This way, the reserve will be crowned a hero (but suspended for a year or two... but eventually his team wins a ring), the Suns would go on to the next round and they can do it again to Kobe or whoever. Once again, an extremely effective yet dirty strategy -- as is the use of Hack-a-Shaq and Horry taking Nash out to have Amare/Diaw suspended.

I could be the "next great coach" that comes up with the next great strategy of stopping any team. The NBA has many flaws, and this is definitely one of them... It's just a shame that the game loses it's mojo' over such flaws, I definitely miss the 90's because there was no BS like this

lakers4sho
10-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Extremely effective, but extremely dirty.

Next year if the Suns play the Spurs in the Playoff's, why don't we send one of our reserves in crunch-time, to kick Duncan in the kneecap so it inverts, causing his career to come to an end, the Spurs players to get suspended when they attack the reserve that hit Duncan!

This way, the reserve will be crowned a hero (but suspended for a year or two... but eventually his team wins a ring), the Suns would go on to the next round and they can do it again to Kobe or whoever. Once again, an extremely effective yet dirty strategy -- as is the use of Hack-a-Shaq and Horry taking Nash out to have Amare/Diaw suspended.

I could be the "next great coach" that comes up with the next great strategy of stopping any team. The NBA has many flaws, and this is definitely one of them... It's just a shame that the game loses it's mojo' over such flaws, I definitely miss the 90's because there was no BS like this

...and 80's, and 70's, and 60's, and 50's :D

The thing I hate though, is when the Spurs are doing it when THEY HAVE THE LEAD...I mean, I can understand when they are down, but when they're up?? Come on, don't tell me they can't maintain their lead...

Hawkeye15
10-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Shaq, you have had like 20 years to learn to hit a free throw. If you don't like it, make your free throws or shut up. It is a great strategy. In fact, when Ben Wallace, or any terrible free throw shooter is in the game, the other team should do this

KG#1
10-26-2008, 12:40 PM
i dont know how they dont call those fouls intentional fouls... its ******** and takes fans away and thats all stern cares about so why didnt he fix..when players hug shaq when nash is bringing it up the court that looks like an intentional foul to me

JPHX
10-26-2008, 01:20 PM
i have never been a fan. even when shaq wasnt on the suns. and when they do it to other horrible free throw shooter like ben wallace. for me the game becomes hella boring. it sucks out the fun.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
10-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Yes if its going to help me win its not cheating in anyway

goku
10-26-2008, 01:40 PM
shaq has to be able to make them good thing yao is a 85% freethrow shooter we dont have to deal with that

_Sn1P3r_
10-26-2008, 03:12 PM
...and 80's, and 70's, and 60's, and 50's :D

The thing I hate though, is when the Spurs are doing it when THEY HAVE THE LEAD...I mean, I can understand when they are down, but when they're up?? Come on, don't tell me they can't maintain their lead...

Yeah if they're leading they shouldn't do it. Delays the game so much.

hdxstunts1
10-26-2008, 03:54 PM
I love this in basketball. The guy should learn how to shoot freethrows. Hard work pays off. Aaron Gray, Yoa Ming, Joakim Noah, Peja Stojakovic, Zydrunis Ilgauskus, Dirk Nowitzki and many others are just as big hands and strength and they can hit free throws 75%+. WHy cant he do it because he wasted his career beefing up and pushing people around rather than learning how to shoot.

I dont think it takes away from the game at all. Its a good strategy.

And i think this is more enjoyable to watch then a regular game because we get to laugh at how bad Shaq is at shooting free throws. Pheonix couldn't do anything and its his fault. I loved that game and Pops had a great strategy.

JPHX
10-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Yeah if they're leading they shouldn't do it. Delays the game so much.

yeah forreals. if your up, why do it? an already boring spurs team just found another way to become even more boring.

Indi23
10-26-2008, 04:20 PM
imo i think the whole cure for it would be foul the person with the ball or its ... intentional and we get ball after 2 shots

BRADfromOZ
10-26-2008, 07:28 PM
It is ugly for the spectators to watch. Shaq should just punch them back, they'd stop pretty soon after that if they knew Shaq was going to hit back. Otherwise Shaq should have spent ALL summer in the gym at the free throw line shooting shot after shot after shot.

Raidaz4Life
10-26-2008, 07:29 PM
hack a shaq was a lame idea and really should have resulted in flagrant fouls... exactly like fouling on a fast break

USMCLaker
10-27-2008, 12:51 AM
Never liked it, never will.

Beno7500
10-27-2008, 01:00 AM
I don't have a problem with it. The dude should make his free throws. He's in the NBA

stawka
10-27-2008, 02:59 AM
I don't have a problem with it. The dude should make his free throws. He's in the NBA

So by your standards, Steve Nash should dunk while on the fast break, Ben Wallace should shoot 3's when left open, and everyone should pass like CP3 because they're all in the NBA.

#1Mavericksfan
10-27-2008, 03:02 AM
I hate Hack-A-Shaq...Don Nelson created it and Gregg Popovich mastered it.

LakerzDQ
10-27-2008, 03:31 AM
I can't stand it. I don't have any love for the Suns, but the hack-a-shaq in that series really pissed me off. I know that Shaq should've learned FT shooting by now, but it'll be a different matter if they hacked him every time he got the ball in the post. I would tolerate that, even if I would still be annoyed. but this is a disgrace. fouling him when he's walking down the court.

I'm glad the lakers kicked the spurs and pop's @sses. they had nobody to hack in LA, except for maybe Odom.

LAKERS 24/7
10-27-2008, 04:12 AM
I can't stand it. I don't have any love for the Suns, but the hack-a-shaq in that series really pissed me off. I know that Shaq should've learned FT shooting by now, but it'll be a different matter if they hacked him every time he got the ball in the post. I would tolerate that, even if I would still be annoyed. but this is a disgrace. fouling him when he's walking down the court.

I'm glad the lakers kicked the spurs and pop's @sses. they had nobody to hack in LA, except for maybe Odom.

Can you imagine if we still had Kwame! :speechless: