PDA

View Full Version : Joe Calzaghe vs Roy Jones Jr, November 8

G2BOAT
10-23-2008, 11:35 PM
This fight will be PPV also, so that means I'll be watching it for free on the internet. lol :cool: This should definatly be an awesome fight. Pavlik-Hopkins was a good, shocking fight, and I think this fight will be even better. Since, Calzaghe and Jones will be fighting at a weight that they are used to. They both are legends and should be an excellent fight.

cambovenzi
10-26-2008, 05:04 PM
i hope RJJ wins, but i doubt it.
real big of calzaghe to barely beat guys way out of their prime.:rolleyes:

G2BOAT
10-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Of course that Calzaghe win looks even better with Hopkins beating Pavlik, but I agree I would have liked to see these guys fight in their prime.

2009mvp
10-30-2008, 12:31 AM
i hope RJJ wins, but i doubt it.
real big of calzaghe to barely beat guys way out of their prime.:rolleyes:

Um, he's 36, not exactly in his prime himself.

cambovenzi
10-30-2008, 01:51 AM
Um, he's 36, not exactly in his prime himself.

oh so then its ok to make your name off of washed up big-name fighters?:eyebrow:

IBleedPurple
10-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Not sure if Roy would qualify as washed up just yet. Not exactly still boxing like Hopkins, but it isn't like he is getting killed every fight

2009mvp
10-30-2008, 09:02 PM
oh so then its ok to make your name off of washed up big-name fighters?:eyebrow:

He beat Kessler already. He's beaten Hopkins. Outside of Chad Dawson, there's NOBODY else notable to fight at light-heavy. Both Hopkins and Roy Jones are both in the top-10 in that division, and Ex probably goes 1-2 behind Calzaghe in the rankings. I don't see any problem at all with the fights he's taken.

cambovenzi
10-30-2008, 09:43 PM
He beat Kessler already. He's beaten Hopkins. Outside of Chad Dawson, there's NOBODY else notable to fight at light-heavy. Both Hopkins and Roy Jones are both in the top-10 in that division, and Ex probably goes 1-2 behind Calzaghe in the rankings. I don't see any problem at all with the fights he's taken.

hes faought nobody his whole career until somewhat recently.
so he fights an overrated lacy, and beats him.
a 40+ year old hopkins. a bad reality show fighter. and now a guy way out of his prime, and formerly amazing and legendary fighter in RJJ.
hes fighting overrated/ashed up big name guys w/o any substance

2009mvp
10-30-2008, 10:08 PM
^^I'm not defending his skills. I'm not saying he's a great fighter. All I'm saying is he hans't been dodging anybody. After he beat Kessler, (a very, very good figher in his own right) he came to America to make money, and he took the big names. I don't blame him. Especially when you still can't tell me who's a better fight for him right now.

cambovenzi
10-31-2008, 03:37 AM
well, i agree, its smart. i just dont like it. it proves very little, and undeservedly gives him a better name by beating "name fighters" who arent good/washed up.

Soop
10-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Roy Jones Jr. is going to whip him.

N.Z's #1 Dodger
11-02-2008, 12:07 AM
What's with the Calzaghe hate? The guy is from the U.K and has never been able to break into the large American market, that's why he has fought so many bums.

Calzaghe is going to murder him.

G2BOAT
11-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Just a note, I think we'll see a matchup between Calzaghe and Jones again in the near future because Calzaghe and Jones signed to a rematch clause.

"There is a rematch clause," Calzaghe admitted. "It was for one fight over here [in New York] and one at home. But, if I do the job I want to do, I don't think Roy will want a rematch. Mind you, Antonio Tarver knocked him out and he had a rematch, so who knows?

"I haven't fought the fight yet. But if I go in there and do the job I want to do, I will then take a break with my family before making an official decision. Of course if I lost that would motivate me to get back in the ring. But that though hasn't even crossed my mind, I know I am going to win. At the moment I just don't feel like I want to fight again after this. I have other things I can do with my life."

G2BOAT
11-08-2008, 12:24 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/8765130

On Saturday, Joe Calzaghe and Roy Jones Jr. will face off at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The fight will air at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT on HBO pay-per-view.

Before the fight, Roy Jones Jr. told FOXSports.com what he expects from Calzaghe.
FOXSports.com: How has your training been going so far?

Roy Jones Jr.: My training is going good. I'm right on schedule and am where I need to be for this fight. For the first time since coming down from heavyweight, I feel better than I ever have for previous fights. The ol' Roy Jones is back and people are going to see a great show.

FOXSports.com: What are you expecting to see from Joe Calzaghe in the ring?

RJJ: I'm expecting a flurry of punches. He's going to start punching on Friday and won't stop until Sunday morning sometime. He will come after me, he will keep throwing and throwing punches like a machine. He might be the most aggressive fighter I've faced to date.

FOXSports.com: Do you think his earlier injury to his hand will affect him in the ring?

RJJ: No. I even question whether the injury was legit, although I don't know for sure. I just think he needed more time to prepare for me. I believe he's going to come into this fight in the best shape of his career because he knows I'm his toughest opponent he's ever faced. He'll bring his "A" game and I'll be ready.

FOXSports.com: There are quite a few fans who have been waiting for this match-up for a long time. How do you feel about this fight finally being a reality?

RJJ: I'm excited about this fight. This is my biggest fight since winning the heavyweight championship and as big as the James Toney fight. We made this fight ourselves, but only because we got promoters like Frank Warren and Don King out of the way. This is the way fights are supposed to be made — without greedy middlemen. Poor Frank is sitting at home feeling sick to his stomach, feeling sorry for not being involved and Don is in the middle of China trying to sell a fight featuring a Polish heavyweight. In the meantime, Joe and I are getting ready for the "Fight of the Year" in the greatest sports arena in the world.

FOXSports.com: Madison Square Garden has been good to you this year after your win over Felix Trinidad there. What does it mean to you to be fighting there again?

RJJ: I love fighting in New York. I always do well here. There is no greater arena in the world than Madison Square Garden. All the great fighters and many of the greatest fights have happened at the Garden. You get chills just walking into the place. I feel humble and honored to have fought there before and when Joe and I decided to make this fight, we walked in and said, this is the place. I know it will be loud and a lot of people will be rooting against me, but hopefully a lot of fans will be rooting for me as well.

FOXSports.com: This is only the second time Calzaghe has fought in the U.S. Do you think you'll have the "home-field advantage" at the Garden and does that even matter when it comes to the fight itself?

RJJ: I don't think it really matters that much because Joe could fill the Garden with British fans. But in the end, It's just him and me. All those Brits can't help Joe. Only he and I will decide who wins this fight. I only hope some of my fans, Americans will buy tickets and support me.

FOXSports.com: Finally, what should your fans expect from this fight?

RJJ: My fans can expect the ol' Roy Jones — and I don't mean my age. They can expect to see me in my purest form, quick and fast and if I see I can end the fight, I will in dramatic fashion. I am totally ready for this fight and feel better than I have in years. I love being the underdog, because that means I'll be able to shock the boxing world and I'm betting this isn't Joe's last fight. He'll want a rematch if I win.

m26555
11-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Jones is gonna beat his sorry ***..

m26555
11-08-2008, 03:07 PM
What's with the Calzaghe hate? The guy is from the U.K and has never been able to break into the large American market, that's why he has fought so many bums.

Calzaghe is going to murder him.
1. He's a conceited scumbag.
2. He's GROSSLY overrated.
3. If you seriously think Calzaghe is going to murder Jones then you need to get your head checked...

2009mvp
11-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Where's PFB, I guess he doesnt' come around here anymore. His boy Salita is fighting at home on the undercard, he's really got a chance to get some national attention. Looks like a solid card right now I can't wait for it.

Hale4It
11-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Roy Jones Jr. vs Joe Calzaghe Last Round

http://www.sports-tube.com/watch/9d439f71450117eba272/Roy-Jones-Jr.-vs-Joe-Calzaghe-Last-Round

2009mvp
11-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Calzaghe was working a lot more than RJJR, and he was getting some great shots in, like the right hands that busted open that cut over Jones' left eye. I for one would love to see Calzaghe fight Chad Dawson, heck, do it in Europe if you have to, but if he wins he will have the opportunity to retire saying he beat everyone there was to beat in his class.

G2BOAT
11-10-2008, 01:22 AM
Great fight Calzaghe out Jonesed him by taunting him and not respecting him. Calzaghe owned him and it was a great fight.

N.Z's #1 Dodger
11-10-2008, 02:35 AM
No surprise here, the GROSSLY overrated Calzaghe is too good.

lynchgagne
11-10-2008, 10:17 AM
No surprise here, the GROSSLY overrated Calzaghe is too good.

i still think he lost to hopkins....

Huey
11-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Yea Calzaghe is overrated, a washed up jones....id like to see a match with bernard

G2BOAT
11-10-2008, 07:08 PM
I really don't see how a fighter can be overrated when he's 46-0. He dominated the Super Middleweight division for about ten years, beat who he needed to beat, and he went up and beat Hopkins and owned Jones Jr. And it's not like Calzaghe is a spring chicken either he's 36 years.

lynchgagne
11-11-2008, 05:22 AM
I really don't see how a fighter can be overrated when he's 46-0. He dominated the Super Middleweight division for about ten years, beat who he needed to beat, and he went up and beat Hopkins and owned Jones Jr. And it's not like Calzaghe is a spring chicken either he's 36 years.

naw he didnt beat him..... he was given the decision.. but hopkings won that fight by 2 or 3 points easily

G2BOAT
11-11-2008, 05:28 PM
naw he didnt beat him..... he was given the decision.. but hopkings won that fight by 2 or 3 points easily

Really? I gave Calzaghe 2 points, I thought he took over the fight around 8-12.

cambovenzi
11-12-2008, 04:42 AM

thats exactly it.
he has barely fought anyone decent or in their prime.
but people make him out to be the best and an all time great.

Havoc Wreaker
11-12-2008, 11:18 AM
1. He's a conceited scumbag.
2. He's GROSSLY overrated.
3. If you seriously think Calzaghe is going to murder Jones then you need to get your head checked...

Or....

FAIL

G2BOAT
11-12-2008, 02:34 PM
thats exactly it.
he has barely fought anyone decent or in their prime.
but people make him out to be the best and an all time great.

I'm not saying he's the best of all time or anything, I just find that if you're 46-0 you are not overrated. It's hard to stay undefeated even if you're fighting bums.

pa the nigan 14
11-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Jones look like he lost his swagger after the first two rounds. Calzaghe just outworked him. It sucks to say but Jones is over the hill, great career and great showman but he's done.