PDA

View Full Version : Every Houston Astros fan should read this....

lilboytwister99
10-23-2008, 08:41 PM
And Im sure you're thinking "ok what now?"

Look, I wish the Astros would wake up and face the heat. Look at the history of the team. Never won a World Series. Houston is what, the 4th or 5th biggest city in America?

The Astros have had superstars come and go...... I wont even bother naming any of them, but the point being a lot of them go on to be champions.....

Look at this year... we traded Brad Lidge (which I was for, not for Houston, but for Lidge because I knew he needed a fresh start) and now he's gone an entire season without blowing a save, and now looking pretty good towards his first World Series title. Dan Wheeler, which I liked, was traded for Ty Wigginton, which after this year I dont think I can find a reason to complain anymore. Dan Wheeler will be in the World Series in some shape or form. Jim Hickey, who was canned by the Astros is now part of it all. Gerry Hunsicker, who was probably one of the best GM's to come along, is now part of Tampa Bay. This should serve as a wake up call for Houston.

Now I give credit where credit is due. Ed Wade totally remodeled our team. He got a guy who I wish we could have gotten 3 or 4 years ago (Tejada) and he has made an impressive starting lineup (on paper). I always thought that our starting lineup could match up with any team, despite the average age of the team. Anywho, we have to come up with something BIG to turn this team around.

Something has to be done in this offseason to make that "turn". I encourage any and everybody to email, text, or find a way to contact the Astros front office and tell them "GET R DONE" because we arent getting and younger and the same story of our team being average or mediocre is getting old. We deserve a championship and we're tired of waiting!

astrosmaniac
10-23-2008, 10:56 PM
easier said than done.....

also you got to blame drayton. too cheap to after the big names, too cheap to pay for our own picks, and expects to win every year. when you rob the future to play now, eventually the future becomes now, and you have nothing to work with (except money, which drayton wont spend). hes like jerry jones, he is too involved with his team. He should go to ed wade and tell him, "do whats best for the organization, no matter the cost"

chadtx01
10-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Its hard to hate on Drayton too much. Aside from last season, the Astros have been competitive for quite some time. No, they havent won a series, but at least they have either been in the post season, or at least made the end of the season interesting.

With that being said, I think he made a major mistake by letting Gerry Hunsicker to. That man is a baseball genius. Since then we haven't had much of a GM. Ed Wade did what he could with what he had to work with. At this point in the game, pitching is at a premium. Its been hard for the Astros to get hitting and pitching together.

They spend money on pitching (Clemens, Pettitte) and they have an anemic offense. They spend money on bats (Lee, Tejada) and we have no pitching. Its frustrating but it could be worse. We could all be Royals fans...

lilboytwister99
10-25-2008, 06:57 AM
Ya know lol speaking of the Royals, I always heard their owner is one of the richest guys around..... suprisingly enough because he hasnt put squat into his team as far as getting good players. However, I also heard if he wanted to, he could have a payroll like the NY Yankees. I didnt know the money was like that.

I just wish the Astros would come through and win it all for once. The issue I see with the way they play is that they work so hard. The saying goes "play ball" not "work ball". I dont think they're as relaxed as they should be, and I dont think they're having as much fun as they should be. This is why I think the Cubbies folded in this years NLDS. They were too tense, and it looked like they had the weight of the world on their shoulders.

Face it, Oswalt and Berkman arent getting any younger, and it would be a shame for them to have never won a World Series. I still say if they want to blow up the team, trade that tandem to any team and get your prospects.

Im just not ready for another average season of Astros baseball. I want something to look forward to.

Later yall!

astrosmaniac
10-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Its hard to hate on Drayton too much. Aside from last season, the Astros have been competitive for quite some time. No, they havent won a series, but at least they have either been in the post season, or at least made the end of the season interesting.

With that being said, I think he made a major mistake by letting Gerry Hunsicker to. That man is a baseball genius. Since then we haven't had much of a GM. Ed Wade did what he could with what he had to work with. At this point in the game, pitching is at a premium. Its been hard for the Astros to get hitting and pitching together.

They spend money on pitching (Clemens, Pettitte) and they have an anemic offense. They spend money on bats (Lee, Tejada) and we have no pitching. Its frustrating but it could be worse. We could all be Royals fans...

your right but we would have not had a crappy farm system (and therefore pieces to work with/look forward to) if drayton hadnt been so cheap