PDA

View Full Version : Top Big Men over the last 20 yrs.

Lakersfan2483
10-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Over the last 20 yrs, the NBA has had some of the greatest big men in league history, how would you rank each big man?

*All of the players listed are in no particular order

Patrick Ewing
David Robinson
Shaquille O'neal
Alonzo Mourning
Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan
Dikembe Mutombo
Hakeem Olajuwon
Chris Webber
Dwight Howard
Dirk Nowitzki
Charles Barkley (Played big for his size, although he was 6 foot 4)
Karl Malone
Yao Ming

cmellofan15
10-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Over the last 20 yrs, the NBA has had some of the greatest big men in league history, how would you rank each big man?

Patrick Ewing
David Robinson
Shaquille O'neal
Alonzo Mourning
Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan
Dikembe Mutombo
Hakeem Olajuwon
Chris Webber
Dwight Howard
Dirk Nowitzki
Karl Malone
Yao Ming

I don't think you can put Dirk and KG in w/ these guys b/c some of them were before their time. Also Shawn Kemp, Kevin McHale, Alex English, Moses Malone, and Larry Bird. I don't know if they played in the last 20 years but they come to mind...

Lakersfan2483
10-23-2008, 08:10 PM
I don't think you can put Dirk and KG in w/ these guys b/c some of them were before their time. Also Shawn Kemp, Kevin McHale, Alex English, Moses Malone, and Larry Bird. I don't know if they played in the last 20 years but they come to mind...

Mchale, Malone, English and Bird would not fall under the past 20 yrs. Bird and Mchale were just about done in the late 80's. The same for English and M. Malone.

Dirk and KG would fall under the category, they have been in the league a minimum of 10 yrs or more.

Also, Shawn Kemp was a good player, not an all time great. Dirk and KG are far better than Kemp.

JayW_1023
10-23-2008, 08:13 PM
1. Hakeem
2. Duncan
3. Shaq
4. Malone
5. Garnett

That would be my order.

BADizzleBoY
10-23-2008, 08:14 PM

Patrick Ewing
David Robinson
Shaquille O'neal
Alonzo Mourning
Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan
Dikembe Mutombo
Hakeem Olajuwon
Chris Webber
Dwight Howard
Dirk Nowitzki
Karl Malone
Yao Ming

is this in order? :speechless: I sure hope not

Top 10

O'Neal
Robinson
Ewing
Olajuwon
Malone
Duncan
Barkley
Garnett
Rodman
Mourning

Fireworld
10-23-2008, 08:31 PM

Top 10

O'Neal
Robinson
Ewing
Olajuwon
Malone
Duncan
Barkley
Garnett
Rodman
Mourning

wow, Ewing over Duncan!

JordansBulls
10-23-2008, 08:51 PM

Top 10

O'Neal
Robinson
Ewing
Olajuwon
Malone
Duncan
Barkley
Garnett
Rodman
Mourning

Rodman shouldn't be in their over Dirk. Let's be serious here. In fact, he should be last on that list of all the ones mentioned in the OP's post.

kswissdaf
10-23-2008, 08:59 PM
shaq is number 1

Hawkeye15
10-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Shaq
Hakeem
Duncan
Garnett
Barkley
Robinson
Ewing
Malone

the rest are a toss up

stevefrancis
10-23-2008, 11:07 PM
the only person who should be over hakeem is shaq. david robinson knows why he's behind him as well as ewing.

IndyRealist
10-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Mchale, Malone, English and Bird would not fall under the past 20 yrs. Bird and Mchale were just about done in the late 80's. The same for English and M. Malone.

Dirk and KG would fall under the category, they have been in the league a minimum of 10 yrs or more.

Also, Shawn Kemp was a good player, not an all time great. Dirk and KG are far better than Kemp.

Bird had 20.2ppg, 9.6rpg, 6.8apg in '91-'92. But he played SF, Robert Parish and Kevin McHale were the bigs I think. Any Celtics fan feel free to correct me.

Moses Malone had 18.9ppg, 10rpg in '89-'90, but he was on the decline of his career and came off the bench the next year. Shame too, one of the best centers of all time, and this generation of fans have no idea who he is.

Karl Malone missed 10 games his entire career, besides the last year with the Lakers. That's just crazy.

1) Tim Duncan. No one, not even Shaq, has matched his level of success since he came into the league. Shaq's been on some BAD teams. Tim never has.
2) Hakeem Olajuwon. Revolutionized the post position. "Dream Shake" was unguardable, and so was his fadeaway jumper.
3) Shaquille O'Neal. Rings. 'Nuff said.
4) Kevin Garnett. I used to feel bad for him in T-Wolves land. I really dislike him now, but that's another thread.
5) David Robinson. Robinson was one of the most dominating centers in the 80's. He scored 71 points in a game. He won scoring titles AND he was all defensive team. He won a ring.
6) Karl Malone. Like I said, missed 10 games his entire career. He is the standard that other PF's are measured against. 4-5-6 are a virtual dead heat. KG is ranked ahead because he is still playing and can only do more.
7) Patrick Ewing. Shame he never won a ring. I spend many a night as a kid watching him tear it up against my Pacers.
8) Charles Barkley. The "Round Mound of Rebound" was only 6'4"????
9) Alonzo Mourning. No one played D like Mourning and still got 20ppg. Nobody.
10) Dikembe Moutombo. Mourning with half the points. I realize he bumps Rodman out of the top 10, but Dikembe was better all around.
11) Dennis Rodman. Rebounding, defense, toughness, and gritty play. All while being undersized.

BRADfromOZ
10-24-2008, 12:41 AM
My Top 10 Big Guys

Olajuwon
O'Neal (Would be no 1 if he could shoot FT's better)
Duncan
Robinson
Ewing
Malone
Garnett
Mourning
Mutombo
Rodman

Chronz
10-24-2008, 02:05 AM
Not counting players who are just now making a name for themselves these have been the best bigmen in the past 20:

Shaq
Hakeem
Duncan
D-Rob
Karl Malone
Kevin Garnett
Charles Barkley
Arvydas Sabonis
Ewing
Mourning
Dirk
Bird (OLD)
Webber
Moses (He was pretty old during this span)
McHale
Rasheed Wallace
Jermaine Oneal
Kemp
Boozer
Dikembe
Brad Daugherty
Gasol
Antawn Jamison
Ben Wallace
Camby
Vlade
Brad Miller
Big Z
Parish
Rik Smits
Shareef
Derrick Coleman

Hellcrooner
10-24-2008, 03:31 AM
er...... English was a SG/SF.....

Hellcrooner
10-24-2008, 03:40 AM
If we are talking last 20 thats 88 and so on we CANT include people like Lambieeer or Moses or Mchale because they were worn out , so was kareem when he retired that same yer.

SO i will make a list of cetners adn a list of PF.

Centers:

1 Shaq

2 The Dream

3 The Admiral

4 Patrick Ewing.

5 Mourning

6 Mutombo

7 Daugherty.

8 MIng

9 Divac

10 Sabonis.

Power Forwards,

1 Tim Duncan.

2 Kg ( That title gives him the edge over fat and Tractor),

3 Barkley

4 Malone

5 Kemp ( yes when he was healthy).

6 Woolridge.

7 Manning

8 Larry Johnson

9 Dirk

10 Pau

Chronz
10-24-2008, 03:50 AM
er...... English was a SG/SF.....
And what exactly was Woolridge?

Hellcrooner
10-24-2008, 03:56 AM
^A 6`9 Sf/PF he played his best years as Power foward in Chicago and Nets.

As Sf he did not do that well in L.A ( and worhty didnt like being used at PF) dDet or Milwaukee.

Still he Starred at SF for DEnver.

Chronz
10-24-2008, 04:25 AM
^A 6`9 Sf/PF he played his best years as Power foward in Chicago and Nets.

As Sf he did not do that well in L.A ( and worhty didnt like being used at PF) dDet or Milwaukee.

Still he Starred at SF for DEnver.

The point I was trying to make was that he was a perimeter player who didnt do the typical BIGMAN things like rebound or defend the post, his best years were in Chicago but he wasnt a bigman, he never played the role of a bigman, he was as much of a bigman as Enlgish was. In fact early in his career English was more of a tweaner than Woolridge. Woolridge was really only a PF on a DAntoni type team (he actually played under him IIRC) like the Nuggets those years they played at a ridiculously stupid pace.

Anyways it doesnt matter Woolridge was a fine player but your underrating Sabonis.

stawka
10-24-2008, 04:38 AM
1 - Shaq
2 - Hakeem
3 - Duncan
4 - Malone
5 - Barkley
6 - Robinson
7 - Garnett
8 - Ewing
9 - Zo
10 - Dikembe