PDA

View Full Version : Knicks fan: How do you guys like balkman

mr_badman
10-23-2008, 04:32 PM
im one of the few who dont miss the bum, but he plays hard just wondering what you guys think of him. who knows maybe he found a magic lamp and wish for some offense other than wide open dunks :)

SUNDUNDIDIT
10-23-2008, 05:17 PM
I think he's promisin....Some of my folk in NY say they don't miss him either...But I think he's a good contribution to Denver, because all we need is hustle and defense, we got enough scorers.

mr_badman
10-23-2008, 05:35 PM
there is no promise for him. he is what he is. if you can find use for him great if not he is a waist of time. he does play hard and can help at times, but over all the dude is really bad. sorry if im spoiling anything for you guys.

you may ask why im inquiring about him:confused:
and that is a good question. many :k:nic:k:s fans are crazy and dont realize that we cant keep fan favorites that really dont help the team. and that we need to clean roster spots for people who may actually break the rotation under mikeD.

many of the fans would like to trade guys like zbo who are pretty productive over paid or not, and keep useless bums like balkman, based on his so called potential which i dont see. therefore i was just checking to see if he l:rolleyes::rolleyes:ked like an alstar in denver so far.:D

SUNDUNDIDIT
10-23-2008, 09:32 PM
there is no promise for him. he is what he is. if you can find use for him great if not he is a waist of time. he does play hard and can help at times, but over all the dude is really bad. sorry if im spoiling anything for you guys.

you may ask why im inquiring about him:confused:
and that is a good question. many :k:nic:k:s fans are crazy and dont realize that we cant keep fan favorites that really dont help the team. and that we need to clean roster spots for people who may actually break the rotation under mikeD.

many of the fans would like to trade guys like zbo who are pretty productive over paid or not, and keep useless bums like balkman, based on his so called potential which i dont see. therefore i was just checking to see if he l:rolleyes::rolleyes:ked like an alstar in denver so far.:D

He's promising, because he brings another dynamic and certain element we didn't have last year...And thats defense...Nuggets don't need anymore all-stars, all we need is role players, and Balkman has proven himself to be a defender....

And like you said, "if you can find use for him", well maybe thats what I implied by sayin "PROMISIN" or did you miss that??? I think Nuggets can find lots of use for him....He's a hustler and a defender, two things that we need...We have two of the top scorers in the league,meaning We DoNt NeEd HiM tO pLaY oFFEnSe, all we need him to do is replace a player like Najera.

The reason you may not observe his potential, is because he never wasted time or was never motivated to show it in NY...But as far as bein a key role player on the nuggets, IT'S PROMISIN!

C-Dub
10-24-2008, 07:30 AM
that pretty much sums it up

DenButsu
10-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Okay, first of all he's only played 3 preseason games for the Nuggets, so we really don't have much information to work with. The data we have is not really a meaningful sample size.

But here's what we've got:

MIN FGM A % FTM A % OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
10/10/08 9 4 4 1.000 0 0 0.000 1 2 3 1 4 0 0 1 8
10/11/08 12 0 1 0.000 2 6 0.333 1 3 4 0 0 3 1 1 2
10/15/08 26 3 3 1.000 2 6 0.333 1 1 2 0 1 1 1 5 8
Average 15.67 2.33 2.67 0.875 2 6 0.333 1 2 3 0.33 1.67 1.33 0.67 2.33 6
Per 48 48 7.15 8.17 0.875 6.13 18.38 0.333 3.06 6.13 9.19 1.02 5.11 4.08 2.04 7.15 18.38

I did up the per48 numbers not to suggest that he could produce on that level if he actually played 48 minutes, but so we could get a clearer picture of how he's spending his minutes on the court.

First of all, he's only making mistakes in one area, and that's that he's fouling too much. But that's because he's been playing some really aggressive defense, which is exactly what we need from him. And given the fact that in three games he's gotten 7 total fouls but 5 total steals, that's a pretty acceptable ratio to me, especially when his defensive style is not the risk-taking brand of AI (and sometimes J.R.).

But looking at other areas that might be of concern, he's not turning the ball over too much, and he's making fantastic shot selections. If he's one dimensional, but he only uses that one dimension when it's a slam dunk (pun intended), that's something we can live with.

Frankly, my biggest concern is his piss poor free throw shooting. Under .500 is just unacceptable.

But he's pulling down his fair share of boards, he's scrappy as hell and all over the intangibles, his opportunistic scoring makes him not so much the offensive liability that he's portrayed as, and his spark of defensive energy off the bench is exactly what he needs to provide to replace what we lost by losing Eduardo Najera, which is who he (along with the Birdman) was brought in to replace.

So how do I like him so far? I like him just fine.

And my question for you, mr_badman, would be: Did you really make this thread to genuinely ask us? Or did you just make it to let us know how much of a bum you think he is? :rolleyes:

mr_badman
10-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Okay, first of all he's only played 3 preseason games for the Nuggets,

And my question for you, mr_badman, would be: Did you really make this thread to genuinely ask us? Or did you just make it to let us know how much of a bum you think he is? :rolleyes:

he does suck but i really wanted to know how he was fitting in. balk was actually one of the few knicks i enjoyed watching while he was on the team, regardless of how horrible of a player i think he is. balk did bring a certain excitement to our games as a result of his hard play, but we have better players at the position and remember im talking about the :k:nic:k:s so that says alot he didnt and couldnt contribute to us winning games at all.

i asked my questions because he really wasnt a good piece in our rebuilding process yet many people were horrified when he was sent packing as if he would be an alstar or something. i just wanted personal confirmation that he still nothing special and that we wont miss him. im sure he will do well with you guys. im sure he wont be as exciting as he was to a knicks fan because you guys have actually good players on your team and you guys win games.

btw. as for potential, he has none. some players are what they are. as horrible as the knicks are i could clearly see some players improve. balk is what he is. thats not a strike just a reality.

SUNDUNDIDIT
10-25-2008, 10:59 PM
btw. as for potential, he has none. some players are what they are. as horrible as the knicks are i could clearly see some players improve. balk is what he is. thats not a strike just a reality.

Maybe your misinterpreting how someone applies the word potential, when concerning Balkman...

Balkman has the potential to improve our team...Regardless if he has the potential to improve as a player or not...Plus, you halfway prediction is all speculation....He's on a better team, therefore he's motivated to improve his gameplay....

..I can careless about stats, but what I have seen is determination to prove himself....And I feel that he can be promisin in addin what needs to be added for our team to be a better contender...Period.

mr_badman
10-26-2008, 10:46 AM
Maybe your misinterpreting how someone applies the word potential, when concerning Balkman...

Balkman has the potential to improve our team...Regardless if he has the potential to improve as a player or not...Plus, you halfway prediction is all speculation....He's on a better team, therefore he's motivated to improve his gameplay....

..I can careless about stats, but what I have seen is determination to prove himself....And I feel that he can be promisin in addin what needs to be added for our team to be a better contender...Period.

lol my dude you got me all wrong
stop being so defensive. balk is a good guy he is hard not to like, because he plays really hard. i dont think he has a ton of game or will get any any time soon. i was just checking in on him to see how his transition was and just checking if i was wrong and he worked on his offensive game. nothing to much more.

DenButsu
10-26-2008, 11:11 AM
stop being so defensive

Um, excuse me, but:

the bum

no promise for him

he is a waist of time

the dude is really bad

useless bums like balkman

he does suck

how horrible of a player i think he is

he still nothing special

as for potential, he has none

He may have been a :k:nic:k: before, but he's a Nugget now, and if you're going to come into our forum and just bash one of our players without really offering any constructive insight, that's what's called baiting, and instead of trying to tell SUN how to react to your posts, you should probably just walk it back a bit at this point.

Please.

Thank you. :cool:

-------------------

edit - And Nugs fans, and everyone, let's just please stay on topic. Thanks.

C-Dub
10-26-2008, 11:18 AM
yes, thanks den, i was getting kinda sick of reading that crap, hes exactly what we need and seems to be alright for us, i like him, he might have to chop off some hair though, lol

BRAVE KID
10-26-2008, 12:51 PM
He hustles, he is the best perimeter defender we have, he doesn't have an attitude problem, he seems to get along well with the team, and he is a vital part of the recreation of the "Scramble squad."

mr_badman
10-27-2008, 03:32 PM
:laugh2: lol if you guys think i was trying to bait anyone to arguing over nonesense.
let me set some facts straight.

1st. im not hear to bash balkman, i just wanted to know if he developed any other aspects of his game which he obviously didnt from what i have read in a few post from this thread.
2nd. he brought nothing at all to the knicks in terms of contributing to winning, this is why i as a fan i have earned the right to say he sucks.
3rd. i do believe a guy can suck one place and play well somewhere else. so dont take it personal when i say he is bad. im not trying to bash your team, when my own team is "well you know" :cry::hide::puke:

now you may ask why i am following up on him if i think he sucks so much. and i have a few answers;
1. he sucked on the cursed knicks, maybe we just werent using him right.
2. being that our team has been so bad and he was one of the few players who tried their best most fans appreciated watching him when he did get playing time this includs myself.
3. knicks fans are crazy and many were upset when he was cut/traded/dumped so i was just following up to see if all their concern came to life which obviously has not. (balk has not improved any of his game)
4. knicks fans dont like to get ride of the trash ie.. people being mad about PEwing Jr. being cut http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286325&page=2

now do i think balk is a bad pick up for denver, not at all. he will play hard for you guys and you guys will love him. just dont expect more than what he has shown in preseason. he is one dimensional, and it might be the dimension that denver needs. as for my :k:nic:k:s who are searching for a franchise player or even a player to step up and lead this team, he didnt fit into our plans.

no baiting, if you guys are looking for a hard defensive minded player balk is your guys, he can guard sg, sf and the occasional smaller weaker pfs. he doesnt gives up on plays, and plays hard. basket ball IQ isnt that great, but he tries to do what is asked of him. nice attitude good guys. i really hope he works out. there really isnt any bad feelings on the dude, he just no longer fitted in with the knicks.

SUNDUNDIDIT
10-27-2008, 05:01 PM
:laugh2: lol if you guys think i was trying to bait anyone to arguing over nonesense.

1st. im not hear to bash balkman, i just wanted to know if he developed any other aspects of his game which he obviously didnt from what i have read in a few post from this thread.
2nd. he brought nothing at all to the knicks in terms of contributing to winning, this is why i as a fan i have earned the right to say he sucks.
3rd. i do believe a guy can suck one place and play well somewhere else. so dont take it personal when i say he is bad. im not trying to bash your team, when my own team is "well you know" :cry::hide::puke:

now you may ask why i am following up on him if i think he sucks so much. and i have a few answers;
1. he sucked on the cursed knicks, maybe we just werent using him right.
2. being that our team has been so bad and he was one of the few players who tried their best most fans appreciated watching him when he did get playing time this includs myself.
3. knicks fans are crazy and many were upset when he was cut/traded/dumped so i was just following up to see if all their concern came to life which obviously has not. (balk has not improved any of his game)
4. knicks fans dont like to get ride of the trash ie.. people being mad about PEwing Jr. being cut http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286325&page=2

now do i think balk is a bad pick up for denver, not at all. he will play hard for you guys and you guys will love him. just dont expect more than what he has shown in preseason. he is one dimensional, and it might be the dimension that denver needs. as for my :k:nic:k:s who are searching for a franchise player or even a player to step up and lead this team, he didnt fit into our plans.

no baiting, if you guys are looking for a hard defensive minded player balk is your guys, he can guard sg, sf and the occasional smaller weaker pfs. he doesnt gives up on plays, and plays hard. basket ball IQ isnt that great, but he tries to do what is asked of him. nice attitude good guys. i really hope he works out. there really isnt any bad feelings on the dude, he just no longer fitted in with the knicks.

Well you got your response...Nobodys being defensive, just stop thinking vague and questionin peoples judgement by sayin "There is no promise for him"...
Because when I say he's "promising" and has "potential", I infer that he's "promising" in addin defense to this team and makin us more well rounded with the likes of Anderson,Kleiza,and Howard added along...And he can "potentially" contribute that energy into helpin us win games that we didn;t because of mediocre efforts in defense...There's your response dun, take it as is.....He's still young, and has lots of growing to do.

DenButsu
10-27-2008, 11:34 PM

1st. im not hear to bash balkman, i just wanted to know if he developed any other aspects of his game

Well, you came to do both. And if you think he sucks, of course you're entitled to your opinion and it's fine to express it, but just going into another team's forum and saying about one of their players, "he sucks, he sucks, he sucks" without really backing up why or explaining yourself, well yes, that does amount to baiting. Key passage from my post above:

to come into our forum and just bash one of our players without really offering any constructive insight

That said, thank you for being more specific in your follow up post, I appreciate it.

KnickFaninNJ
10-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Just to give input from another Knick fan. I liked Balkman and still do, but was happy he was moving to a better fit in Denver. I am glad to hear that he is appreciated there. I don't think he was so bad as a Knick, but the Knicks have a lot of forwards who will play ahead of him, including our draft picks from this year and last year, so it made sense for them to trade him. He was always bad at free throws, but last year at the beginning of the season he had better form, as though he had worked at them over the summer, and he got sporadically better results at the free throw line. But then, like almost every other Knick last year things stopped improving. So I think he has a chance to get better at free throws.

mr_badman
10-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Well you got your response...Nobodys being defensive, just stop thinking vague and questionin peoples judgement by sayin "There is no promise for him"...
Because when I say he's "promising" and has "potential", I infer that he's "promising" in addin defense to this team and makin us more well rounded with the likes of Anderson,Kleiza,and Howard added along...And he can "potentially" contribute that energy into helpin us win games that we didn;t because of mediocre efforts in defense...There's your response dun, take it as is.....He's still young, and has lots of growing to do.

i guess i was baiting a bit because i dont think that high of balk. i watched him for 3 years and haven't seen any improvement. you have to love the guys defensive efforts, but when following a team and its players you generally look for some sort of improvement. especially when your team has a ton of bad players. :hide: you really want some one to step up.

being that he worked so hard you would assume that he would put that same effort into getting better in other area's like free throw shooting 15 footers etc. and he doesnt.

as a defensive specailist im sure he will work well with you guys. he has all the effort and tries hard but i dont take it as being a natural thing for him, he will get into foul trouble. hopefully u wont have to play a 4 man offense and can figure him into a pick and roll or fast break or something because he is athletic and can finish pretty good. balk is also a fair rebounder/outlet passer. but dont expect him to hit or take the open jumper, because he couldnt throw a rock into the ocean, and would be scared to try anyway.

:pray:den dont hit me will all the facts about his progress 2 or 3 % points in free throw shooting isnt an improvement to me:)

Well, you came to do both. And if you think he sucks, of course you're entitled to your opinion and it's fine to express it, but just going into another team's forum and saying about one of their players, "he sucks, he sucks, he sucks" without really backing up why or explaining yourself, well yes, that does amount to baiting. Key passage from my post above:

That said, thank you for being more specific in your follow up post, I appreciate it.

i guess the baiting aspect couldnt be avoided but it really wasnt my intent. i definitely came here as just a follow up. thats way i didnt respond negative to anyones comments.
:offtopic:
thanks guys for confirming my thoughts of balkman.;)

DenButsu
10-29-2008, 11:51 PM
Against Utah:

+/-
K. Martin -12
L. Kleiza -2
. Nene C -7
A. Carter -4
A. Iverson -9
J. Smith +4
C. Andersen +4
D. Jones -2
R. Balkman +10
J. Howard -2

Ended up losing, but it was on its way to being a blowout - we were down big, and Balkman was a big part of getting us back into the game. In fact, he made the tying dunk.

DenButsu
03-15-2009, 12:09 AM
I had to bump this epic failure of a thread just for laughs.

Balkman's stats for his last 6 games:

DATE MIN FGM FGA PCT STL BLK TO PF OFF DEF TOT AST PTS
2/22/09 17 4 5 0.8 3 1 3 2 1 2 3 2 10
3/3/09 23 2 4 0.5 0 0 1 3 5 2 7 1 4
3/6/09 23 3 6 0.5 0 0 0 2 6 8 14 0 9
3/8/09 21 4 7 0.57 1 1 0 3 3 7 10 0 9
3/11/09 30 6 13 0.46 2 1 1 2 8 6 14 3 14
3/14/09 32 10 14 0.71 0 2 3 4 5 6 11 1 22

AVERAGE 24.33 4.83 8.17 0.59 1 0.83 1.33 2.67 4.67 5.17 9.83 1.17 11.33

He's basically averaging a double double in 24 minutes.

So he's certainly proven he has the ability to put up respectable (more than respectable, actually - downright impressive off the bench) numbers when given the opportunity. But on top of his increased production, the real improvement (for "no improvement" was the charge made in this thread) is in his efficiency:

YR FG FG% FT FT% PER
2007-08 1.4-2.9 0.49 0.6-1.5 0.43 11.5
2008-09 2.1-3.7 0.56 0.9-1.3 0.69 17.5

So I think it's fair to say now, authoritatively and conclusively, that Mr. Badman's assertion that Balkman sucks, has no potential and will never improve is just horribly wrong and a fail of catastrophic proportions (http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/fail-owned-milk-truck-fail.jpg).

C-Dub
03-15-2009, 10:45 AM
he has been great for us hopefully these last couple games are telling karl something

Netslunatic76
03-15-2009, 05:30 PM
I always knew Balkman had the potential to be a solid player. He's a hard nose defensive minded player who brings a lot of energy to a team and he hustles for the ball. He just needs some playing time to show what he can do. While he was with the Knicks he showed signs of being a David Lee type of player, but less offensively gifted. There was just no minutes in the rotation for him. I'm glad to see he's been working out for ya'll lately.

baller1532
03-15-2009, 10:41 PM
22 points last night! he is awesome, fits perfectly with our team

BRAVE KID
03-15-2009, 11:26 PM
He brings that energy and is just incrediable on the boards. I mean just flat out amazing, his skills on th board is what gives him those easy points. I believe is just forced to play him now, he brings such an immediate and significant impact.

I saw a certain lineup that I believe can flat out rock last night against the clips

Nene
Balk
Melo
Jones
Billups

I believe that is the perfect balanced lineup the nugs could have, it is never going to be the starting lineup but if that line is out there, we makesome noise.

jeff86
03-16-2009, 12:53 AM
like a fat kid likes twinkies

DJiC
03-16-2009, 01:55 AM
can we tke out jones and put in martin? hahaha more size at the PF and better defense at the SG moving balkman there