PDA

View Full Version : Report: Tom Brady had 3 additional surgeries

Dark Donnie
10-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Tom Brady has reportedly suffered several setbacks in his recovery from surgery to repair a torn MCL and ACL due to infection and has undergone three additional procedures to eradicate it.

Brady confirmed last week that he had one more surgery to "clean and to test the wound," but the Herald reports he's had two more since then. Doctors fear the infections will compromise the initial reconstruction and the entire process may have to be redone, starting from scratch. Infections after knee surgery are considered rare and one doctor told the paper that Brady has had "really bad luck." He could be OK if the infections clear, but the process could prove career threatening if Brady needs another full reconstruction. Oct. 23 - 3:15 am et
Source: Boston Herald

KingJamsI
10-23-2008, 10:01 AM
:pray:

Patsfreak1776
10-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Patriots have every right to be pissed about this. They wanted the surgery done here under their direction, not in LA. Well, it looks like whoever performed this really ******'d up because the guys' career is in jeopardy now. The Patriots had the right to dictate terms of the surgery. They pay the player's salary and as their employee he should do what they ask.

bagwell368
10-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Man... I'm getting some Harry Agganis vibes. A golden boy comes out of nowhere, pilots a weakling franchise to 3 titles in 4 years, has his most brilliant season yet, and is cut short at the start of the next one.

I'm not saying he won't play, but if he does the team will be weaker, or something else with go wrong. Forget Karma, it's just the nature of the NFL, its amazing that the Pats have stayed as one of they best teams this long, and it will not always be so.

EEI says that Pats are ripped. Damn..

Patsfan56
10-23-2008, 12:04 PM
My day was going so well....

Here is the link to the full article.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/2008_10_23_Brady_suffers_setback:_Infection_leads_ to_2_more_procedures/

While it does not discuss the Pats response, it does give a little more detail.

I would like to hear the official (and unofficial) Pats response. If they thought there was any risk at all with this Dr., why let them do it? I have a hard time believing Tom just went off and did this on his own without any discussion.

Why can't this sh$t just go as planned? Why does there always have to be some friggin soap opera attached?

Watching this season is like watching a less serous version of the Band of Brothers series. Maybe the Pats are the new "Easy Company".

Rodney, Tom, Lawrence, etc, etc. God F&*%ing dammit!!!!:bang:

:jumpy:

The Intimidator
10-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Well, what we know at this time is that Brady's recovery is going to be delayed, no doubt about that. You can't expect him to heal if they keep digging back into his knee. If Brady is forced to undergo another ACL reconstruction, which is a possibility, then it is very unlikely that he will be ready for the start of next season, and there's no way that he sees any time in the 2009 preseason. This isn;t the ideal situation, but there's no way that it means his entire playing career is in jeopardy, IMO. As long as this infection is defeated, then he will be fine. His recovery time will be slowed, as I said before, but there's no way that it gets much worse than that.

TheRedMarauder
10-24-2008, 10:42 AM
NBCSPorts.com's Tom Curran reports that Tom Brady's eagerness to begin rehabilitation may be the cause of his additional surgeries for a knee infection. NFL Network's Adam Schefter says he believes it's a staph infection.

Apparently the Patriots encouraged Brady to wait for his MCL to heal, but Brady looked for alternatives to get his rehabilitation started sooner. His eagerness to get back on the field could wind up costing him. His infection reportedly has come in the area of the MCL. "It's bad," said the source to Curran.

rotoworld

The Intimidator
10-24-2008, 12:51 PM
ESPN is reporting that Brady's situation is looking better. Widely renouned surgeon Dr. James Andrews has consulted on Brady's infection, and has said that Brady's recovery timetable might not be affected that much, which means that he could still be on track to be back by the start of next season. Let's :pray: that it's true!

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3658987

TheRedMarauder
10-24-2008, 07:49 PM
The Boston Globe believes the infection in Tom Brady's knee delays his rehab and recovery for a couple of months in the best-case scenario.

Brady's best media relationship is with the Globe, and this update seems the most accurate and direct. If the infection is cleaned out and Brady's rehab is set back a couple of months in that best-case scenario, he may still be ready for training camp in late July. If further complications arise, it could obviously set Brady back into the 2009 season.

rotoworld

NYMETS6986
10-25-2008, 12:29 AM
i am deeply concerned with this. brady is my favorite player, the nfl will not be the same without him, he needs to recover!

The Intimidator
10-25-2008, 11:25 AM
i am deeply concerned with this. brady is my favorite player, the nfl will not be the same without him, he needs to recover!

The news from Dr. Andrews makes me think that we will definitely see Tom Brady in 2009. :pray: that it's true!