PDA

View Full Version : PF Situation

RocketsRule
10-23-2008, 12:03 AM
As the regular season is rapidly approaching, it seems that for a second consecutive season, Mikki Moore will again get the starting job at the PF position. However, I think that he could very well lose his starting role. Here are our PF candidates.

1) Jason Thompson PF/C: Thompson is a young, energetic big that can run the floor beautifully. That would serve him well, since the Kings are looking to push the tempo and run more this season. He also rebounds at fairly high rate and has a solid low post game as well. However, he is still testing the waters as a rookie, and needs to show vast improvement in his game to obtain a starting role.

2) Mikki Moore PF/C: The current starter, Moore has done a decent job. He provides much needed energy, running the floor and throwing down easy dunks. However, he has no post game and is just an average rebounder (6.0 rpg). Add in his rock like hands, and you understand why his job may be in jeopardy.

3) Kenny Thomas PF: Many of you would strongly disagree, but he has had a fairly good preseason thus far. In limited minutes, he showed that he can still defend and rebound, both things that the Kings are in dire need for. Although, he still suffers on offense, not being able to rely on that mid range jumper he had back in 2005. He can finish under the basket, but don't expect him to abuse defenders. Bottom line, he has what the Kings' need in rebounding and post defense, but the rest of his game is almost non-existent.

Beno7500
10-23-2008, 12:15 AM
I don't think jason is near ready to be our starting PF. I love his game and all his tangibles, but (i know its preseason) he seems very rushed out on the floor.

Kenny Thomas won't start. period. He will get back up minutes

So Jason Will get most of his playing time being the first PF off the bench due to foul trouble by moore.(hopefully) and Shelden will see minimal playing time.

RocketsRule
10-23-2008, 12:18 AM
I don't think jason is near ready to be our starting PF. I love his game and all his tangibles, but (i know its preseason) he seems very rushed out on the floor.

Kenny Thomas won't start. period. He will get back up minutes

So Jason Will get most of his playing time being the first PF off the bench due to foul trouble by moore.(hopefully) and Shelden will see minimal playing time.

Maybe it's just me, but I think Thomas could start. He did a couple years back... He provides the post defense and rebounding.

Kyle N.
10-23-2008, 12:24 AM
Thomas will not start over Moore. I think JT has a chance to take the starting spot before the season ends. Williams... I don't know, he won't get much minutes unless he pulls something magical out of his hat (don't count on it).

CaptainCool79
10-23-2008, 12:34 AM
I never understood what happened to Kenny Thomas. It wasn't long ago he was able to be a 15-10 guy and played great defense on the likes of Tim Duncan and KG in the playoffs.

Kyle N.
10-23-2008, 12:46 AM
I never understood what happened to Kenny Thomas. It wasn't long ago he was able to be a 15-10 guy and played great defense on the likes of Tim Duncan and KG in the playoffs.

That's a great question. Who knows? Also, why can't any low post defender on the Kings block a shot? And I mean like block a shot for real, not just tap the ball. Somebody like Tyrus Thomas or Jason Maxiell. We need a bruiser. I thought "well maybe Shelden Williams would be that". So far... not quite.

Kings Faithful
10-23-2008, 01:32 AM
Thats something ive been saying for years now. We need a big ol' black guy to do some rough housing inside. All of our Pf/C's going back for a few years have been finesse guys. If we end up trading someone this year I think we need a PF/C in return, one that can consistently grab 8-10 rebounds and dunk the ball on the inside with ease. The only upside to our weak PF/C's has been the fact that they can all shoot the ball from at least mid-range (exception KT but he used to) and shoot FT's with high percentages. None of that matters thoe when we are getting just abused on the inside by big men.

Kyle N.
10-23-2008, 01:42 AM
Thats something ive been saying for years now. We need a big ol' black guy to do some rough housing inside. All of our Pf/C's going back for a few years have been finesse guys. If we end up trading someone this year I think we need a PF/C in return, one that can consistently grab 8-10 rebounds and dunk the ball on the inside with ease. The only upside to our weak PF/C's has been the fact that they can all shoot the ball from at least mid-range (exception KT but he used to) and shoot FT's with high percentages. None of that matters thoe when we are getting just abused on the inside by big men.

:laugh2: Yeah, as racist as that may be, I definitely agree. I thought Brian Skinner was a pretty decent shot blocker. He rejected Shawn Marion's dunk in a preseason game among other things. He just had that "stay the hell out of my house" mentality. Kinda stupid to get rid of him, unless it was a money issue but that was a while back so I don't remember.

sacgiants1213
10-23-2008, 02:47 AM
moore will get in foul trouble very early like he usually does which will open a lot of minutes for JT. and if and wen the kings are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, JT will def be starting over moore. and as for k9...no, just no. i'm not excited to seeing him getting stuffed by the rim and his ugly *** jump shot. yeah, i know he's getting paid a **** load to sit on the bench, but k9 would just take away minutes from JT, and for a rebuilding year, that's not good at all obviously.

Catfish1314
10-23-2008, 04:59 PM
From the two or three preseason games I've watched from start to finish, Kenny Thomas is still crap. Plain and simple. He's 6'7, 230 pounds, has no athletic ability or soft touch what so ever. He could rebound and defend pretty decent once. But he can't anymore.

I still like Moore's energy and his vocal support from the bench. He's a solid finisher when he catches the ball and hits a jumpshot every once in a while. But if he's still around when we trade Miller, everyone will come to find again just how worthless he is on the court.

Jason Thompson should be starting by January, if it even takes that long. To avoid headbutting and ego issues, Theus could end up keeping Moore in the starting lineup longer than he deserves. But Thompson is a deer running the floor, he's big, he's tough, he has tools on O and D and there's no reason he shouldn't be starting right now anyway.

DerekRE_3
10-23-2008, 05:23 PM
From the two or three preseason games I've watched from start to finish, Kenny Thomas is still crap. Plain and simple. He's 6'7, 230 pounds, has no athletic ability or soft touch what so ever. He could rebound and defend pretty decent once. But he can't anymore.

I still like Moore's energy and his vocal support from the bench. He's a solid finisher when he catches the ball and hits a jumpshot every once in a while. But if he's still around when we trade Miller, everyone will come to find again just how worthless he is on the court.

Jason Thompson should be starting by January, if it even takes that long. To avoid headbutting and ego issues, Theus could end up keeping Moore in the starting lineup longer than he deserves. But Thompson is a deer running the floor, he's big, he's tough, he has tools on O and D and there's no reason he shouldn't be starting right now anyway.

I really like how Jason Thompson plays. His stats haven't been the most impressive out of all of the rookies, but he seems to know what he's doing out there on the floor. He can drive to the basket, and once he figures out how to finish in the NBA, his driving ability is going to be deadly. Obviously he can run the floor, and I love the hustle.

Beno7500
10-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Jason Thompson is very rushed out on the floor. Bobby Brown and Donte aren't no where near as rushed as JT

Agent008
10-23-2008, 09:09 PM
My vote is for Kenny Thomas to start. His contract expires in two years and if he shows he can be productive, maybe we can package him with someone else and trade him at the deadline. It's really wishful thinking, but it would be nice.

ntat
10-24-2008, 01:48 AM
K9 showed he can still defend and rebound?!? Then why did we bench him in the first place? He is garbage, and so is the fact that you even said that.