PDA

View Full Version : Z Goes to Seattle for GM Spot

Brew Crew
10-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Milwaukee Brewers executive Jack Zduriencik is the Seattle Mariners' choice to be their new general manager.

The 57-year-old Zduriencik spent nine years in Milwaukee's front office, most recently as the special assistant to general manager Doug Melvin.

Since Zduriencik came to Milwaukee in 1999, he made the call to draft Prince Fielder and Rickie Weeks as well as 2007 NL Rookie of the Year Ryan Braun, J.J. Hardy, Corey Hart, Yovani Gallardo, Manny Parra and Tony Gwynn Jr. -- the foundation of Milwaukee's playoff team this season.

Zduriencik was among four finalists for the Mariners job. Among them were Los Angeles Dodgers assistant GM Kim Ng, Arizona Diamondbacks executive Jerry DiPoto and Toronto Blue Jays assistant GM Tony LaCava.

Mariners president Chuck Armstrong and chief executive officer Howard Lincoln headed the search for the replacement for Bill Bavasi. Lee Pelekoudas was the acting GM since Bavasi was fired June 16.

Seattle became the first major league team with a $100 million player payroll to lose 100 games. The Mariners began the 2008 season expecting to win the AL West but finished 61-101, their most losses since 1983.

Zduriencik is expected to have authority to hire Seattle's manager. Jim Riggleman, promoted from bench coach when manager John McLaren was fired in June, has said he doesn't expect to return.

Well he was definetely a great scout. To bad.

Dcup
10-22-2008, 04:25 PM
I say good for him. He has put in good time getting to know the system. Well deserved.

Martz
10-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Hate to lose him but good for him. He deserves it

jiggin
10-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Zduriencik has been the best regarded scouting director in baseball for the last few years . . . If you want to know why the Brewers were in the playoffs this year, it’s because Zduriencik hit home run after home run in the draft.

tough loss to start the off-season. this one will be felt in a couple years...

brewersfan729
10-22-2008, 05:16 PM
The good news is Jack not only knew how to scout talent, but also scout scouts. We have many qualified candidates to promote from within.

OC Knights #11
10-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Its a loss. but he definatley deserves it.

wissportsfan
10-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Yeah this is a real big lose.

BaRRySandAmaN
10-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Man I loved Jack, you could always guarentee a good quality draft out of him. He was magnificent with scouting the College and ametuer ranks. This is a big loss...:cry:

Good luck Jack-Z, I hope for the best

long ball
10-23-2008, 01:59 AM
Now Seattle will finally have something good for drafting. The Timber Rattlers have had terrible prospects in most of the recent years because of Seattle's tendency to draft guys from South America that never seem to pan out to anything.
Guys from south america are not drafted unless they've enrolled at a US highscool, junior college, or college

brewersfan729
10-23-2008, 04:22 AM
Well then most of the guys don't get signed by Seattle cuz all it was was a bunch of 18 to 21 year olds from south america playing for their A ball club.

It's because they rush their prospects and they rarely see time in the lower levels.

4d32petersc
10-23-2008, 09:00 AM
I like doug melvin, but the key to the brewers past success has been the home grown talent. We should have promoted Z and not resigned doug.

long ball
10-23-2008, 11:39 AM
I like doug melvin, but the key to the brewers past success has been the home grown talent. We should have promoted Z and not resigned doug.
That's like saying you intentionally let go of Derek Jeter because the Yankees have a good SS prospect.

Brew Crew
10-23-2008, 11:41 AM
If worse comes to worse this offseason and we lose out on many of our options, I just hope Melvin won't go into desperation mode and do something like throw out a ridiculous contract to someone just to have made a move.