PDA

View Full Version : Rodney Harrison career over?

ProPoster
10-21-2008, 11:47 AM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/10/21/patriots-harrison-out-for-the-season-maybe-career/

He tore his quad and is out for the season. If he chooses to return, then it may take a miracle for someone at his age with this injury. Let's all hope for the best for Rodney.

UD5soul
10-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Through the law of karma, the effects of all deeds actively create past, present, and future experiences, thus making one responsible for one's own life, and the pain and joy it brings to him/her and others.

Fribbles
10-21-2008, 01:00 PM
My prediction is that Rodney is NOT going to retire, neither is Bruschi or faulk. Going into this season Rodney wasn't sure if he wanted to play again, but he is. He wants one more crack at a ring before he calls it quits (they all do) and with Tom done I see all of them coming back for one more year, ONE last crack at a ring.

The Intimidator
10-21-2008, 01:15 PM
I think he's done. It'll take too much for him to come back again at his age. He had a great career, and I wish him the best. It's time to move on, though.

Patsfan56
10-21-2008, 01:33 PM
Through the law of karma, the effects of all deeds actively create past, present, and future experiences, thus making one responsible for one's own life, and the pain and joy it brings to him/her and others.

Funny, and I thought they taught me in Nepal that karma went lifetime to lifetime. But somehow through your insight and mastery of the concept you have demeaned it somehow to this.

We in the Pats forum are waiting with baited breath for you to respond to my question in the other thread in which you dragged the unoriginal karma argument out. Please respond so we all can know why some of the non patriot players injuries were or were not Karma related, and if so, how. You see, I wonder why folks like you come in and say it is karma but only for Pats players. Since you are all knowing and wise, why is the Patriots organization plagued by karmic consequence?

Joe Theisman must have really been a dick to someone somehow. Please, enlighten us, oh master...:eyebrow:

bagwell368
10-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Yeah, OK Karma boy....

Rodney should retire, and then the only question is how long he has to wait to get into the HOF. He's angered people and players, has the HGH thing over his head, but on the field I challenge anyone to name 5 S's in the history of the game since 1970 that has done more then he has on the field.

Bruschi is brutal, he'll have no option. Gone. It's painful to watch him.

Faulk has gas left in the tank I believe.

Patsfan56
10-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Yeah, OK Karma boy....

Rodney should retire, and then the only question is how long he has to wait to get into the HOF. He's angered people and players, has the HGH thing over his head, but on the field I challenge anyone to name 5 S's in the history of the game since 1970 that has done more then he has on the field.

Agreed. I watched the Denver RB blow right by him last night. Oddly enough, when I heard (I think it was Dennis and Callahan on WEEI) before the SD game they actually told him he looked like he had gotten faster!

I am hoping Faulk comes back for one more, I am very sad to say it looks like Harrison is done

The Intimidator
10-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Yeah, OK Karma boy....

I think that both Bruschi and Harrison would have retired if we had won the SB last year. This was supposed to be their last hurrah, IMO. Brady's injury took the luster off of that, obviously. The injury forces Rodney into retirement, and I think Bruschi's days are numbered as well. He is spending this season tutoring Mayo and the other younger LB's, and will ride off into the sunset after this season, regardless of how we do in terms of our record. I agree with Faulk, as well. He has 2-3 years left in him, IMO. As for Harrison and his H.O.F. status, I don't think that the HGH issue will weigh too heavily on voters' decisions. I don't think he's a first ballot, but he will get in either his second or third time eligible. He did alienate a lot of people, but then again so did Ted Williams, among other players in sports.

Wake's Fastball
10-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Rotoworld says the Pats may explore bringing back Lynch to compensate for losing Harrison.

It's rough to see him go out like this, but he's been a shell of his former self for a couple years now, and he's brutal to try and watch in coverage.

Faulk's still got a few years left on his deal (through the 2010-2011 season). I'd expect he sticks around through the end of that, then perhaps hangs em up.

Celts22
10-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Id love to see Lynch come in to replace Harrison. According to the Rick Reilly article on ESPN he still has the itch to play as well.

bagwell368
10-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Rotoworld says the Pats may explore bringing back Lynch to compensate for losing Harrison.

It's rough to see him go out like this, but he's been a shell of his former self for a couple years now, and he's brutal to try and watch in coverage.

Faulk's still got a few years left on his deal (through the 2010-2011 season). I'd expect he sticks around through the end of that, then perhaps hangs em up.

Harrison was actually playing well against the run this year, but Merri was getting more and more snaps at his expense.

They cut Lynch because he couldn't run, can't see as how that got any better, so best case he can play the run as #8 in the box.

The Intimidator
10-21-2008, 04:28 PM
I forgot about Lynch...bringing him back in could be great, seeing that he is very familiar with our defense.

Red_Sox_89
10-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Very sad... Rodney Harrison was a great player with a lot of passion. I almost spilt my beer when I saw him get hurt last night

RaidersFan559
10-22-2008, 06:46 AM
I'm surprised that X hasn't been in here to give a compliment, though this may sound like a back handed compliment try your best to understand.

When Tom went down for the Season, I smiled a little bit and didn't think about it since cause I know he will be back in '09, but when I saw Harrison crying as he left the field and Bruschi hunched over him, it actually made me say "Damn the NFL just lost a good player". I know the players think Rodneys a dirty player but I always saw a passionate player playing every game like it was his last and I think lhe did so on monday night.

BTownTeamsRKing
10-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Funny, and I thought they taught me in Nepal that karma went lifetime to lifetime. But somehow through your insight and mastery of the concept you have demeaned it somehow to this.

We in the Pats forum are waiting with baited breath for you to respond to my question in the other thread in which you dragged the unoriginal karma argument out. Please respond so we all can know why some of the non patriot players injuries were or were not Karma related, and if so, how. You see, I wonder why folks like you come in and say it is karma but only for Pats players. Since you are all knowing and wise, why is the Patriots organization plagued by karmic consequence?

Joe Theisman must have really been a dick to someone somehow. Please, enlighten us, oh master...:eyebrow:

destroyed em kid...

i been saying tha for so long about the whole karma thing. i wonder wat Bob Sanders did. he musta shot someone and got away with it bc he is always hurt.

please enlighten us Oh Master!!!! hahahahahahahahahahha hilarious.

The Intimidator
10-22-2008, 08:59 AM
destroyed em kid...

i been saying tha for so long about the whole karma thing. i wonder wat Bob Sanders did. he musta shot someone and got away with it bc he is always hurt.

please enlighten us Oh Master!!!! hahahahahahahahahahha hilarious.

And notice that the karma guy hasn't been back since then...:D

The Intimidator
10-22-2008, 09:02 AM
I'm surprised that X hasn't been in here to give a compliment, though this may sound like a back handed compliment try your best to understand.

When Tom went down for the Season, I smiled a little bit and didn't think about it since cause I know he will be back in '09, but when I saw Harrison crying as he left the field and Bruschi hunched over him, it actually made me say "Damn the NFL just lost a good player". I know the players think Rodneys a dirty player but I always saw a passionate player playing every game like it was his last and I think lhe did so on monday night.

I hear what you're trying to say, but the fact that you were smiling after Brady's injury is still a little insensitive, don't you think? I know that it appears he'll be back next year, but smiling after any injury is a little uncalled for, IMO.

ERLynx
10-22-2008, 01:55 PM
I don't believe any Karma talk coming from a Cubs fan. Post something about not being able to break a 100 year curse and I will pay some attention. Until then, keep laughing at your Urlacher old spice commercials from your own board.

Harrison was the heart of this defense and a coach on the field. Nobody will be able to replicate that, not even Lynch. I can't offer any possible solutions here, because I don't think there are any.

The Intimidator
10-22-2008, 02:18 PM
I don't believe any Karma talk coming from a Cubs fan. Post something about not being able to break a 100 year curse and I will pay some attention. Until then, keep laughing at your Urlacher old spice commercials from your own board.

Harrison was the heart of this defense and a coach on the field. Nobody will be able to replicate that, not even Lynch. I can't offer any possible solutions here, because I don't think there are any.

No one will question the fact that Harrison was a leader on the field, but his contributions in terms of on-field play can be duplicated, IMO. James Sanders did a great job filling in for Harrison when he was suspended lats year, and the Pats think very highly of him. Also, Brandon Meriweather has done a complete 180 in terms of his play this year, and looks like a solid NFL safety out there. If the Pats bring John Lynch back in, they will regain the hard-hitting safety they just lost, as well as an on-field coach. So in short, there are options.

ERLynx
10-22-2008, 03:08 PM
I thought, and I may be wrong, that Sanders was starting along side Harrison.

Patsfan56
10-22-2008, 03:13 PM
This is a tough, tough loss, not only from the facet of having the other team fear him, but also, as others have stated well above, his on field coaching. It was hard to watch him talking with Bruschi, hard to watch him being put on the cart and leaving the field, possibly forever.

Good luck and God speed Rodney. We wish you well.

The Intimidator
10-22-2008, 04:16 PM
I thought, and I may be wrong, that Sanders was starting along side Harrison.

Last season, when Harrison was suspended, Sanders stepped into Harrison's role for the first four games. Once Harrison returned, Sanders would sometimes play alongside him at strong safety, but he was mainly used as a sub.

For what it's worth: Brandon Meriweather and James Sanders are now listed as the team's starting safeties on Patriots.com, with Sanders as the starting free safety and Meriweather as the starting strong safety. I still expect the Pats to bring in John Lynch within the next few weeks.

Red_Sox_89
10-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Very bad news. The rest of the league hates him, and there's a reason. He's a great player.

bagwell368
10-22-2008, 10:51 PM
Spann got activated, so he's the fill in for now. If Lynch had anything left in the tank they would not have cut him in camp. I doubt we will see him.

Red_Sox_89
10-22-2008, 11:52 PM
Spann got activated, so he's the fill in for now. If Lynch had anything left in the tank they would not have cut him in camp. I doubt we will see him.

That's what i'm thinkin. They wanted to see what he had, and he obviously didn't have enough left in him to be a patriot

TheRedMarauder
10-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Patriots beat writer Chris Gasper confirms that S Brandon Meriweather will enter the starting lineup with Rodney Harrison going on IR.

It's time for Meriweather to show why he was a first-round pick in 2007; he's looked good as a nickel defender this year, playing 50% of the snaps thus far. Meriweather's speed and cover ability changes their defense. It's possible he and James Sanders will share the strong safety and free safety spots.

rotoworld

bagwell368
10-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Actually I thought Sanders played better last year. He seems to be out of position more, and has missed some basic tackles. If anyone ever played stratomatic he is a "0" so far this year, and last year he was a "4".

The Intimidator
10-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Actually I thought Sanders played better last year. He seems to be out of position more, and has missed some basic tackles. If anyone ever played stratomatic he is a "0" so far this year, and last year he was a "4".

That could have a lot to do with the fact that he has depended on Harrison a lot this season. I think that he'll play with more of a sense of urgency now that he's the elder statesman of the secondary, at least I hope that's what he does.