PDA

View Full Version : Would Prime Moses Malone be the best player in the league nowadays?

JordansBulls
10-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Not sure how many know who Moses Malone is, but I am trying to get a general consesus of how many posters know about him and where he would rank in the league today.

No doubt he is one of the top 7 Centers of all time and he was a 3x MVP winning the award with guys like Kareem, Magic, and Bird in the league.

With that in mind,

Would Prime Moses Malone be the best player in the league nowadays?

Thoughts!!!!

IndyRealist
10-21-2008, 10:30 AM
For those who don't know: http://www.nba.com/history/players/malonem_bio.html

"Malone had another spectacular season in 1981-82, averaging 31.1 points and 14.7 rebounds and capturing his second of three NBA Most Valuable Player Awards...."

"He also broke his own NBA record with 21 offensive rebounds in a game against the Seattle SuperSonics...."

"Malone failed to average at least 20 points and 10 rebounds for the first time since his second NBA season. He finished at 18.9 ppg and 10.0 rpg, snapping a string of 11 straight 20-10 campaigns. The 14-year veteran..."

If Amare learns to play defense, or Dwight learns to shoot, they -might- have a career like his. 19/10 in year 14???

Hellcrooner
10-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Much as i love rooting fo tthe old guys, not in this case.

There werent so many seven footers back then, you could find a lot of 6,9 centers.

The level of mobility, skill and strenght of todays bigs is much higher than then.

He could still get 20/10 thats for sure but wouldnt be the best player on the league.

The league has changed too much, dominant players from the 50s, 60s and 70s woulnd translate well into todays basket.

80s players....i have my doubts Jordan yes, woudl be the best player, Magic, yes beause you cant match up a 6,9 pg even nowdays Olkajuwon, ewing, thso ekind of cats could dominate but there are others that i hold my doubts like Larry, Mo or Julius.

BkOriginalOne
10-21-2008, 01:10 PM
His numbers were great, but at the same time, it was a differnt game back then.
Now the rules have changed, taking the power from dominant bigs and placing it in the hands of smaller players.

If he is one of the top 7 centers of all time, then another question could be asked. Would shaq in his prime be the best player in the game right now. Considering shaq is no doubt a top 5 center. I'm assuming many people would probably say no.

Chronz
10-21-2008, 02:50 PM
His numbers were great, but at the same time, it was a differnt game back then.
Now the rules have changed, taking the power from dominant bigs and placing it in the hands of smaller players.

If he is one of the top 7 centers of all time, then another question could be asked. Would shaq in his prime be the best player in the game right now. Considering shaq is no doubt a top 5 center. I'm assuming many people would probably say no.
Shaq in his prime would easily be the best player in the current NBA

Much as i love rooting fo tthe old guys, not in this case.

There werent so many seven footers back then, you could find a lot of 6,9 centers.

The level of mobility, skill and strenght of todays bigs is much higher than then.

He could still get 20/10 thats for sure but wouldnt be the best player on the league.

The league has changed too much, dominant players from the 50s, 60s and 70s woulnd translate well into todays basket.

80s players....i have my doubts Jordan yes, woudl be the best player, Magic, yes beause you cant match up a 6,9 pg even nowdays Olkajuwon, ewing, thso ekind of cats could dominate but there are others that i hold my doubts like Larry, Mo or Julius.
What makes you think bigs are more skilled nowadays? 20 and 10 LMAO hes the greatest offensive rebounder of all-time your selling him way short. What does having 7 footers have to do with anything? Julius would thrive in this era

b_rad23
10-21-2008, 02:55 PM
It's always very dificult to compare players from different eras. I said no because of the athleticism and the focus and strength in todays NBA but I could be very wrong. He would be the (or close) most skilled center fundamentally for sure but probably would have trouble with the speed and strength in the game today.

Chronz
10-21-2008, 03:08 PM
It's always very dificult to compare players from different eras. I said no because of the athleticism and the focus and strength in todays NBA but I could be very wrong. He would be the (or close) most skilled center fundamentally for sure but probably would have trouble with the speed and strength in the game today.

Who are all these insanely talented brutes you guys keep trying to hype up Moses would feast on players with todays lack of physicality he was the hardest working superstar of all-time, I seriously question your basketball IQ if you think he would struggle with todays players.

And I wouldnt say Moses was all that skilled or possessing many fundamentals. If anything he would be a rich mans Dwight Howard in todays league. That said he wouldnt be the best in the league, Id still take Bron over him.

Bruno
10-21-2008, 08:41 PM
He would be the best Center, and 4th best in the league as I see it.
Behind Bryant, LeBron and Paul.

Yogi
10-21-2008, 08:47 PM
He is very underrated. I'd say Dwight Howard would be better, that's about it.

Lakersfan2483
10-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Not sure how many know who Moses Malone is, but I am trying to get a general consesus of how many posters know about him and where he would rank in the league today.

No doubt he is one of the top 7 Centers of all time and he was a 3x MVP winning the award with guys like Kareem, Magic, and Bird in the league.

With that in mind,

Thoughts!!!!

He would be in the top 5 players in the league. I don't think he is better than Kobe, Lebron or Duncan. He had a great, hall of fame career, and has better stats, but his career is complete, whereas Kobe, Lebron and Duncan have not finished their careers.

Moses would be considered the top center in the game, but if Shaq were in his prime, it would be Shaq as the no. 1 guy, followed by Moses.

Hawkeye15
10-21-2008, 09:20 PM
He would be the best center in the league by a landslide. But today's game is a perimeter player's game with the hand check rule.

Squad13
10-21-2008, 09:41 PM
He is very underrated. I'd say Dwight Howard would be better, that's about it.

Are you kidding?

dre1990
10-21-2008, 09:48 PM
possible, defintly top 2 but i would give it to kobe

Raidaz4Life
10-21-2008, 09:52 PM

With that in mind,

Thoughts!!!!

wow very random person to pick.... probably the best Center but not the best player... a very underrated player though

GregOden#1
10-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Who are all these insanely talented brutes you guys keep trying to hype up Moses would feast on players with todays lack of physicality he was the hardest working superstar of all-time, I seriously question your basketball IQ if you think he would struggle with todays players.

And I wouldnt say Moses was all that skilled or possessing many fundamentals. If anything he would be a rich mans Dwight Howard in todays league. That said he wouldnt be the best in the league, Id still take Bron over him.

Rasho Nestorovic is a legend. He'd eat Moses alive.

Let's NBA.

Ph1lly Diehard
10-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Top 3.

Very underrated.

Unless your a 76ers fan you probably dont appreciate his game he played.

SAVAGE CLAW
10-21-2008, 11:04 PM
No, he would at least be behind Duncan, Kobe, Lebron and Kg.

BUt would be top ten for sure.

SteveNash
10-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Has anyone who has said yes actually seen Moses play? He would be good, and because big men are a rarity these days he would be near the top, but best player overall? Not a chance.