PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Bynum Chasing $17M Per Season?

JordansBulls
10-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Source: LATimes (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakersfyi21-2008oct21,0,197717.story)

Lee is seeking a five-year extension for his client worth an estimated $17 million a year, while the Lakers are more comfortable paying Bynum about $10 million a year, possibly with incentives for All-Star appearances and team playoff success.

As per terms of the collective-bargaining agreement, teams can only offer incentives that move an annual salary upward. Bynum could not be penalized financially for missing games because of injuries.

The Lakers like the potential of Bynum and want to sign him for another five years, though they feel the need to protect themselves financially in case Bynum gets injured again.

If the sides don't agree to a deal by Oct. 31, Bynum plays the final year of a contract worth $2.8 million this season and becomes a restricted free agent July 1

PhillySportFan
10-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Why pay him now? Wait till the end of the season so you can be sure he is the player you thought he was. Bynum only looked real good at the beginnning of last season and then got hurt so I wouldn't give all this money to him yet. 1 mainly full season of mainly good consistent play and he gets his contract.

jimbobjarree
10-21-2008, 10:00 AM
bastard....can the Lakers afford that, there must be a hard cap somewhere right?

Sixerlover
10-21-2008, 10:02 AM
Nah if the owner is willing to pay the luxury tax, he can give him whatever.

It is a laughable amount though.

Fool
10-21-2008, 11:31 AM
yeah, lets see how he performs before giving him 17mil

LakerzDQ
10-21-2008, 11:31 AM
he probably reads alot of stuff in laker fan sites.

29$JerZ
10-21-2008, 11:34 AM
What's with these injured players getting huge payoffs?
First Gilbert, then Brand and now Bynum. 17 million for a Center who won't average 20 10 is absurd.

lakersrock
10-21-2008, 11:39 AM
First, Kobe makes like 21M. For Bynum to be within 5M of that is ********. Second, wait until the end of the season. He won't turn down a 5 Year - 60 Million offer. Nobody with cap space would give him that kinda money. That's also assuming he gets like 17-12-3 all year long. The agent wants a deal now because of that. That's why the dummy should be going for 10-12M a year to get it done now in case Bynum comes up lame.

your-mama-ugly
10-21-2008, 12:05 PM
First, Kobe makes like 21M. For Bynum to be within 5M of that is ********. Second, wait until the end of the season. He won't turn down a 5 Year - 60 Million offer. Nobody with cap space would give him that kinda money. That's also assuming he gets like 17-12-3 all year long. The agent wants a deal now because of that. That's why the dummy should be going for 10-12M a year to get it done now in case Bynum comes up lame.

I agree, I think the Lakers front office are doinging the right thing by giving him 12 mil a year. Honestly what has he really done for the Lakers? The only team I see offering ubsurd money would be Memphis.

thephoenixson28
10-21-2008, 12:07 PM
The guy is overrated I will give him $ 7M per season and that's it he shows a little glimpse of what he can do and the guy wants $ 17M per season he havnt been in a all star game and he wants that much maybe bring a championship and average 20ppg and 11rpg and then talk about big money

IndyRealist
10-21-2008, 12:20 PM
It's just an agent shooting his mouth off. Hopefully for the Lakers, Bynum is content to wait until next offseason to sign a new deal. I think even if his numbers don't drastically improve, by playing a full season he'll improve his stock. Unfortunately the way the rookie contracts are constructed players get big paydays well before realizing their full potential.

I'm sure the Pacers would give him $12M though....

jimbobjarree
10-21-2008, 12:32 PM
ooo the Jazz will have the cap if we dump boozer

Wilson
10-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Apparently Bynum was willing to accept a fairly cheap (by NBA standards) extension, but it was his agent demanding more money from the Lakers. There was a thread in the Laker forum about this a while ago.

jrice9
10-21-2008, 12:40 PM
raps want to know if you want to sign and trade him and still do that JO trade lol

Hellcrooner
10-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Ill say it again, use the Hype and trade the Dude.

If the guy gets so much money Kobe will be pissed off and Opt out and Demmand the Maximum years and contract.

Of course you cant count that neither KObe nor Pau is going to accept a paycut to have a beeter salary cap situation to afford good role players ( wich are decisive into geting rings) if the damm kid is making so much.

MAC10TIZZY
10-21-2008, 01:15 PM
dwight makes 14mil a year and is way more dominant than bynum will ever be...so if he gets that kinda money i will put air hockey as my favorite sport!!!!!!!!

JordansBulls
10-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Just the fact he is demanding soo much money and hasn't done anything shows that he really isn't doing this for the game at all. He just wants some team to be dumb enough to pay him a max contract.

Litchris12
10-21-2008, 01:53 PM
bynum is not that good. i would give him like a 5 year 50 million contract. i wouldnt pay him more that al jefferson. he is no where close to him. wait tilll the end of the season

Ansy
10-21-2008, 02:07 PM
There's no reason to give it to him now but if they plan to retain him then they're going to have to match a max offer after this season. Someone with cap room (OKC maybe?) will try to squeeze him away by offering him the max. 17 mil/year based on 40 games is obviously absurd but all this 5/50 talk is equally so. He's unproven and everyone's skepticism is well-founded but this isn't Ben Gordon we're talking about here. This is someone who rates to be a top 5 center in the league for the duration of his contract.

Halladay
10-21-2008, 02:27 PM
This is the kind of crap that agents say that makes the player look like a complete idiot...

MiamiHeat
10-21-2008, 02:37 PM
Shawn Marion and Cook or Banks for Andrew Bynum?? anyone :)

Ragan
10-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Bynum doesn't deserve to sniff that money. He is arguably the 4th best player on his own team, and has only really shown his potential for 35 games! And for all the lakerlovers who for some reason seem to be more enthralled with Bynum than Kobe for some reason (miss Shaq much?), here's a little statistical breakdown:

Which one of the following 07-08 Center statlines is Andrew Bynum:

A) 14.3 pts / 9.8 rebs / 2.6 asts / 1.7 blks / .511 fg%
B) 11.8 / 11.7 / 1.0 / 1.1 / .623
C) 9.1 / 13.1 / 3.3 / 3.6 / .450
D) 13.1 / 10.3 / 1.7 / 2.1 / .636
E) 13.4 / 9.5 / 3.7 / 1.0 / .463
F) 14.1 / 9.3 / 1.4 / 1.6 / .474

Give up? Well, it doesn't really matter, because the point is that he's one of those and clearly hasn't even distinguished himself from the likes of (in order) A- Bogut, B- Chandler, C- Camby, (D was Bynum), E- Brad Miller, or F- Big Z. Oh, and for the record all of the above played at least 72 games last year.

Would I take Bynum over my Sixers' Dalembert (who I also easily could've included in this example)? Of course. Bynum is a nice player, but let's see what the kid can do before annointing him one of the top 5 Centers in the game.

jonhughes912
10-21-2008, 03:07 PM
if they are trying to get a deal done before october 31 then i say 5 year 50-55 mil. Andrew is a great player, but come on, one good half season where he started shining the last 17 games or so and now he think he is on top. he hasn't proven himself yet in my opinion to even earn 13mil a season.

Frank Costanza
10-21-2008, 03:39 PM
who does bynum think he is? hold out ****** see who sings your ***

Lakerfan32
10-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Can't blame Bynum cause his agent is acting like a moron. Agents are ruining prosports. Bynum and LO should take a hint from ARod and negotiate on their own.

Wilson
10-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Bynum doesn't deserve to sniff that money. He is arguably the 4th best player on his own team, and has only really shown his potential for 35 games! And for all the lakerlovers who for some reason seem to be more enthralled with Bynum than Kobe for some reason (miss Shaq much?), here's a little statistical breakdown:

Which one of the following 07-08 Center statlines is Andrew Bynum:

A) 14.3 pts / 9.8 rebs / 2.6 asts / 1.7 blks / .511 fg%
B) 11.8 / 11.7 / 1.0 / 1.1 / .623
C) 9.1 / 13.1 / 3.3 / 3.6 / .450
D) 13.1 / 10.3 / 1.7 / 2.1 / .636
E) 13.4 / 9.5 / 3.7 / 1.0 / .463
F) 14.1 / 9.3 / 1.4 / 1.6 / .474

Give up? Well, it doesn't really matter, because the point is that he's one of those and clearly hasn't even distinguished himself from the likes of (in order) A- Bogut, B- Chandler, C- Camby, (D was Bynum), E- Brad Miller, or F- Big Z. Oh, and for the record all of the above played at least 72 games last year.

Would I take Bynum over my Sixers' Dalembert (who I also easily could've included in this example)? Of course. Bynum is a nice player, but let's see what the kid can do before annointing him one of the top 5 Centers in the game.

A very good post, but what you have to remember is that whilst Camby, Miller and Ilgauskas are in their 30s, Bynum is 20 years old and still improving. Bogut is 23 and Chandler is 26, so you would expect both of them to improve too (especially Bogut). A lot of the money in question is based on what Bynum is expected to do in the future, and it makes more sense for the Lakers to get him locked up now, rather than paying him like a role player for a few years, then risk losing him when/if he becomes a superstar.

There's obviously the chance he won't pan out as expected, and the chance he continues to have knee problems, which is why the Lakers are reluctant to pay him the full $17 million his agent is after, and why it could be a good idea to let this season pan out before extending him, since he's a restricted free agent and the Lakers can match any offer.

_Sn1P3r_
10-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Wow that's a lot. I agree with even paying him just 10 mil just incase he gets injured again.

JayW_1023
10-21-2008, 04:22 PM
17 million...ridiculous...'drew isn't even half that. He has shown promise but has yet to prove he can be an elite big man.

cmellofan15
10-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Wow, Oden must deserve 15 mil for showing up for training camp

Big Quett
10-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Just the fact he is demanding soo much money and hasn't done anything shows that he really isn't doing this for the game at all. He just wants some team to be dumb enough to pay him a max contract.

He isnt doing anything he came out and said a while ago that he would be willing to take less money. Then his agent dismissed it as him being young. Then Bynum later said he would let his agent handle things from now on.

IndyRealist
10-21-2008, 08:00 PM
He should be happy with a 5yr $60M LaMarcus Aldridge/Emeka Okafor type contract. That's the going rate for double-double players getting less than 16ppg. And he'd get to be on a championship contender for the next half decade. By the end of his next contract he'd be in his prime, probably averaging something like 18/12, and get max money on that contract. He'd have rings, after all.

Fury
10-21-2008, 08:04 PM
wow he isnt worth 17 million a season just becuz one good half of basketball thas is insane..he shud prove his worth for all the lakeers knoe this injury is gonna make him the next jermaine oniel and elton brand being hurt more than being on the court

Rome
10-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Depending how he bounces back from his injury i wouldnt give him ****.

Bruno
10-21-2008, 08:11 PM
He won't get it before 10/31. Even if he puts up the same numbers he did last year for the entirety of this season, the Lakers will offer him something around 13-15 million per year, after this year. LeBron and Dwade arent even making 17 mil a year yet.

ARMIN12NBA
10-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Apparently Bynum was willing to accept a fairly cheap (by NBA standards) extension, but it was his agent demanding more money from the Lakers. There was a thread in the Laker forum about this a while ago.

Yes. He did state that he would sign for cheep just to stay for the Lakers. His agent later rebuffed the statement and said he was just a kid who had no idea what he is talking about...I hate agents.

THE_FLASH_21
10-21-2008, 08:34 PM
This guy must be cracked-out!!! 17 mill... when he's not even the best big man on their team... If this guy gets this... Amagine what Dwight, Boozer, Bosh, and all the big men everywhere will want as FA!!! If the Lakers do this they'll be the dumbest front office in all of sports! let him avg. at least over 20/10 to get 12-15 mill not 17!~!!! Kobe makes
21 million...

Wilson
10-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Yes. He did state that he would sign for cheep just to stay for the Lakers. His agent later rebuffed the statement and said he was just a kid who had no idea what he is talking about...I hate agents.

x2

I mean, obviously they're just doing their jobs, but they can be a real pain in the ***...:mad:

UofA
10-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much money for someone just coming off a major injury and has only played good for part of a season

Raidaz4Life
10-21-2008, 09:56 PM
:laugh2:

no thank you I want no part in 17 mil a season for Bynum.... ship his butt out of LA if thats the case

SAVAGE CLAW
10-22-2008, 12:29 AM
Well Laker fans, thats how you turn into the knicks.

You give him that money, then Kobe asks to resing for the maximum , Farmar goes crazy and asks for 12 million a year, Odom says 18 a year and Pau goes maximum too.

Then you either resign all of them and spoil your cap forever to go on contending.

Or let them all walk away and then your team is a 24 year old bynum who misses 40 games every year eating up half your cap, so no one wants to go play your team, nor you have money to get one in FA.

If i were the Lakers i would teach him a lesson, Put him in the Bench the whole year and allow him to play just like 15 minutes a game.

After that no one will offer more than 8 million a year and they can MATCH.

And they reached the finals WITHOUT HIM.

hdxstunts1
10-22-2008, 12:29 AM
Not worth it. Hes good but hes unproven still. I'd say the 10-15mil range at best.

Ansy
10-22-2008, 01:41 AM
I can't believe people are mad at Bynum's agent for being good at his job. Bynum WILL receive a max contract offer this summer. Hell, Portland will probably throw a max offer at him just to force the Lakers (their probable rival) into salary cap hell. OKC would probably pay the max for him. Bynum's FAIR value is not a max deal, but his current market value most certainly is. He's coming out in a weak free agent class and will likely be the most coveted free agent of the bunch -- by far.

And everyone saying "He should get 10-12mil/year" -- yes, he should, theoretically. Unfortunately agents nor players nor owners care about fair. They care about getting the best deal they should get. In this case, Bynum can get a max deal from someone this summer. It's smart of him to take that money. It's not outlandish greed; it's smart business.

And to everyone saying "Dwight only makes 14" -- you don't understand how the contract is being worked. Bynum is not asking for a starting salary of 17-mil, he's asking for an xx/6-year deal such that xx/6=17. The actual deal would be 14/15/16.5/18/20/22, etc such that it averages out to 17-million a year. It's probable that at no point would he make more than Dwight Howard, but their salaries would be close, which is kind of silly.

I think another issue here is the idea of a max salary. Guys like Kobe and LeBron probably add 30-million in on-the-court value when compared to the amount of money you would have to spend to get a comparable number of wins from a collection of weaker players. Yet they can't be paid more than barely-worth-the-max players like Bynum and Roy. Consequently teams that are forced to match max offers for their barely worth it players are at a serious disadvantage to teams who have huge studs. That's why in the past 20-years only Detroit has won the title without a top-5 player. If there were no max salary and guys like Kobe/LeBron/Jordan/Magic were making the 30mil they deserve there would be much more parity in the league.

G-Funk
10-22-2008, 05:25 PM
This is Gordons agent

cmellofan15
10-22-2008, 05:26 PM
He doesn't even deserve 17 mil in Europe

fishfan79
10-22-2008, 05:29 PM
become a FA and get it anyways is all he has to do

JOSETHEALLSTAR
10-22-2008, 05:44 PM
if happens that we be one of the worst signs ever

RapsGuy23
10-22-2008, 08:25 PM
17 million a season. No No No. LA should wait it out

BTownTeamsRKing
10-22-2008, 08:33 PM
haha wow this guy wants to make more then Ray Allen in his 3rd yr of play? wow talk about having your head in the right place going into the season.

cmon lakers fans defend it and say it will be a bargain after this year when he puts up 20 pts a game and pull down 12 rbs a game. just say it, i know u want to.

stevefrancis
10-22-2008, 09:34 PM
all the hype from laker homers made it sound hes worth 30 a year. if they pay him that thats good so the lakers got no money for good free agents. andrew bynum is a poor mans kwame brown.

G-Funk
10-22-2008, 09:54 PM
all the hype from laker homers made it sound hes worth 30 a year. if they pay him that thats good so the lakers got no money for good free agents. andrew bynum is a poor mans kwame brown.

poor mans Kwame Brown? coming form an idiot who cheers for Steve Francis

:pity:

stevefrancis
10-22-2008, 10:28 PM
its a joke calm down lose

Hawkeye15
10-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Why do the Lakers care about money? They never have. They can't just let Bynum walk away. If he is a restricted free agent this summer, match whatever comes along. Otherwise, they should give him money, they don't care about salary cap, never have

salsyourpal
10-22-2008, 10:57 PM
i agree they should wait until the end of the season.......keep in mind people like dalembert, okafor, and chandler are all being paid between the 10 and 13 million dollar mark. everyone basically can see their ceiling, they're not gonna get too much better than they are now. but for bynum, who knows the skies the limit. so i dont think its absurd for them to be looking at the 15-17 mill area but i definately think the lakers should wait until after the season

salsyourpal
10-22-2008, 11:02 PM
on a side note....i just think its funny that people think if they signed anrew bynum to a max contract would be a horrible move. good true centers are hard to come by. the guy averaged 13pts 10rbs 2blks a game in like 28 minutes with no signs that it was a fluke. you can say sh@#t like that about jerome james or raef lafrentz but wow the kid is 21 and he has the skill set to be a 20 10 guy for a decade. yeah horrible decision to keep that on your team.

legendkillerv2
10-23-2008, 02:21 AM
bynum is the future of the lakers, but he hasn't done anything yet, so 17 mill is out of the question.

http://www.mccainmooning.com/images/mccain-middle-finger-02.gif

Hellcrooner
10-23-2008, 02:54 AM
why do this guy always remind me so DANGEROUSLY to Joe Barry Carroll, Benoit Benjamin and Eddie Curry?

Big Quett
10-23-2008, 03:32 AM
on a side note....i just think its funny that people think if they signed anrew bynum to a max contract would be a horrible move. good true centers are hard to come by. the guy averaged 13pts 10rbs 2blks a game in like 28 minutes with no signs that it was a fluke. you can say sh@#t like that about jerome james or raef lafrentz but wow the kid is 21 and he has the skill set to be a 20 10 guy for a decade. yeah horrible decision to keep that on your team.

Nobody says itz a horrible thing to have him on your team its just a matter of for how much. A lot of people would take Rondo on there team But would u pay him 12 mil no. Same goes for Ben Gordon alot of teams would love to have him but only at the right price.

JayW_1023
10-23-2008, 07:30 AM
When someone plays for the Lakers people tend to overvalue. Just look at the ratings from the videogames. It's ridiculous.

salsyourpal
10-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Nobody says itz a horrible thing to have him on your team its just a matter of for how much. A lot of people would take Rondo on there team But would u pay him 12 mil no. Same goes for Ben Gordon alot of teams would love to have him but only at the right price.

i know no one said it would be horrible to have him on their team....but someone did say it would be one of the worse contracts ever given. and the difference between rondo and bynum....bynum has potential to be a twenty 10 guy for a decade. as for rondo, even though i think he's skilled i think we both know he's never gonna be a 20pt 10assist guy or even be considered an elite point guard. so would i pay 12 mill for rondo? no. absolutely not. but, bynum i think will be one of the best centers in the league for the next decade. and thats why you pay....also, keep in mind its all about market value anyway....i think the rashard lewis signing last year was disgusting. i like rashard, but he's not worth max money. do i think it was a bad signing though? nope. because if orlando didnt give him that money someone else would have.

Faneik
10-23-2008, 07:57 AM
Why do the Lakers care about money? They never have. They can't just let Bynum walk away. If he is a restricted free agent this summer, match whatever comes along. Otherwise, they should give him money, they don't care about salary cap, never have

I agree that the best strategy would let him be a restricted FA.
They should offer him 50M/5 seasons. If his agents keeps trying for more, let him test the market in the summer, and then match any offer. There aren't many teams with available cap.

kingkobe
10-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Can't blame Bynum cause his agent is acting like a moron. Agents are ruining prosports. Bynum and LO should take a hint from ARod and negotiate on their own.

and then what? get ridiculous max contracts? 270/10 yrs. I gotta give it to ARod though. He should definitely become an agent after he retires. Oh wait..he'll probably sign another 200mil/10yr contract after this one.

Edit: and he was 32 when he got his 270/10yr contract.

king4day
10-23-2008, 10:28 AM
LA has the ball in their court.
He's a restricted FA after the season. If he has a great year, someone can offer him a max contract and the Lakers will rightfully match. If he has a subpar year and another team goes balls out to get him, then they can let him go.
The only concern they should have is his happiness after this year.

king4day
10-23-2008, 10:34 AM
I agree that the best strategy would let him be a restricted FA.
They should offer him 50M/5 seasons. If his agents keeps trying for more, let him test the market in the summer, and then match any offer. There aren't many teams with available cap.

I could see the Knicks making a crazy offer for him. Take the tax hit. Then deal Zbo for whatever they can get and Curry too if possible. At that point, it'd probably even be worth sacraficing Lee or a 1st rounder if it means getting a dominant big man for the future.

HiphopRelated
10-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Miami just has to move Haslem for an expiring and that's the caproom

He doesn't deserve 17 per, but I would offer 15 per if he plays the whole season putting up 15/11/2blocks.

The potential is still there, question is, would LA match??

pippsux
10-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Everybody and their mama has been proping this guy up as the saviour of the lakers. He has read those clippings and is under the delusion he is worth that much. Let me say this again, he will not get enough touches in this offense, especially playing with Kobe for him to get $17million a year. He has to average at least 20 and 10 and thats not going to happen, with Kobe and Gasol and even Odom. The best thing for the Lakers is to let this kid go get $17million in Memphis or Oklahoma or Bobcats (i.e. bad teams with money) and never make the playoffs.

To be honest $10/year for what he has done so far is very reasonable.

Faneik
10-23-2008, 03:21 PM
I could see the Knicks making a crazy offer for him. Take the tax hit. Then deal Zbo for whatever they can get and Curry too if possible. At that point, it'd probably even be worth sacraficing Lee or a 1st rounder if it means getting a dominant big man for the future.

Z-bo and Curry are very hard to trade.

The Lakers used a early pick (10th in '05) with Bynum, they spent 2+1/2 season with almost no production from him and 1/2 season with very good production.

If he keeps playing like he was b/f the injury and most importantly improving and given more playing time, i'm pretty sure the Lakers would match any crazy offer.