PDA

View Full Version : Cavs’ top five has opening

Sbank
10-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Cavs’ top five has opening
Cavaliers coach Mike Brown said recently the starting job at shooting guard is still up for grabs.

“The ‘2’ (spot) is wide open,” he said. “No one has solidified that spot yet.”

He started Sasha Pavlovic at shooting guard on Saturday in the Cavs’ 100-93 preseason victory over Philadelphia.

The 6-foot-7, 235-pounder made just 1 of 8 shots in the game, but it was a big one. He drained a 3-pointer with less than two minutes to play that helped spur the Cavs’ comeback.

Many observers think Pavlovic will retain that starting job once the regular season starts on Oct. 28 in Boston.

“I’ll try to do what Coach asks me to do,” Pavlovic said. “I’m going to continue fighting for my spot. Whatever helps this team win games, I’ll do.”

Pavlovic missed a week of training camp after spraining his ankle. Veteran Wally Szczerbiak, another candidate for the starting job, has also been bothered by soreness in camp.

The 6-7, 245-pounder had eight points against the 76ers, which included two 3-pointers.

He said he doesn’t care who starts at shooting guard.

“Honestly, it doesn’t matter,” Szczerbiak said. “We’re all about team here.

“I had a really good year coming off the bench last year. I was asked to start in the playoffs. I’m cool either way.”

Szczerbiak is trying to get the most out of the exhibition season.

“Preseason is all about getting your rhythm, getting your stroke, getting comfortable with your teammates and building chemistry with your teammates and coaches,” he said. “We want to vie for a pretty high playoff seed.”

Szczerbiak said he’s getting comfortable in the offense.

“I’ve picked up so many options in the offense,” he said. “The team can see where my strengths are and where I can exploit other teams.”

Daniel “Boobie” Gibson also started one game at shooting guard, but he doesn’t appear to be in the running for the full-time job. He’s more valuable coming off the bench and providing instant offense.

Besides, he’s shooting an uncharacteristically low 32.6 percent from the field through the first five games (15 of 46).

The plan going into camp appeared to be for Delonte West to start opposite Mo Williams in the Cavs’ backcourt. But he missed 12 days of camp battling depression and a mood disorder and might be better suited coming off the bench.

In two games since returning, West has been fabulous. He’s averaged 12 points, 7.5 assists and 6.5 rebounds per game.

In other news, the Cavs announced rookie forward Darnell Jackson is expected to miss five to six weeks with his fractured left wrist.

The News Herald (http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2008/10/20/sports/doc48fc17aadae85987559335.txt)
I hope the best man win the SG. I hoping it will be best but Wally wouldn't be a bad SG for the start of the season.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
10-21-2008, 10:18 AM
Well if Sasha continues to shoot 1 for 8 then him being a starter won't last long.I would like to see the guy do well, but it hasn't been very promising.

Cavs_Fan24
10-21-2008, 03:27 PM
I think the starter should either be Sasha or Wally because if Delonte starts at SG then we dont really have a pure PG to back up Mo, and Gibson shouldn't start because he's much more valuable coming off the bench.

Sbank
10-21-2008, 05:27 PM
I think the starter should either be Sasha or Wally because if Delonte starts at SG then we dont really have a pure PG to back up Mo, and Gibson shouldn't start because he's much more valuable coming off the bench.

I don't think Sasha going to be starting SG. The way he been shooting he will likely be riding the bench while Wally and Gibson get more minutes then him since they have been producing.

Cavs_Fan24
10-22-2008, 04:49 PM
But if Sasha's ever going to break-out of his shell, he's gonna ned more minutes but i agree that he should be foreced to earn it or else he'll take it for granted like he did when he was the starter a few years back.