PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Mavericks searching for bench depth

JordansBulls
10-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Source: DallasNews (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/102008dnspormavslede.3623fb4.html)

"The last two years, we haven't been as deep we've been deep, but not productive so this year we're looking for some of that production night in and night out," Jason Terry said.

"We have the ability to go deeper than that," Terry said. "It's something we're going to have play by ear and let coach get a feel for it. It's on him. But I know guys, when their number's called, they'll be ready."

Assuming the starters will be Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Howard, Erick Dampier, Jason Kidd and Antoine Wright, that leaves these players as the primary reserves: Jerry Stackhouse, Jason Terry, DeSagana Diop, Brandon Bass, Devean George and Gerald Green.

Others, such as Shawne Williams, Keith McLeod and maybe James Singleton and J.J. Barea could also get into the mix.

"I'm getting a feel for it," Carlisle said of what his rotation will look like. "But the regular season is the real barometer and a lot of these guys have a track record so I know that we have guys who can get the job done."

RocketsRule
10-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Antoine Wright starting? Over Stackhouse and Terry? That's an interesting move.

Back to the question though, I actually think they have a pretty deep bench already. Better than most teams for sure.

JordansBulls
10-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Antoine Wright starting? Over Stackhouse and Terry? That's an interesting move.

Back to the question though, I actually think they have a pretty deep bench already. Better than most teams for sure.

I think it gives them that depth on the bench with Stack and Terry coming off.

Spurred1
10-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Whether he comes off the bench or not, Stackhouse should not be used more than 10-15 minutes; I don't think he's got much left.
Anyway, Carlisle is still figuring out what will work-it'll take some time to work out the best rotation. The bench could improve, but they aren't the worst bench in the league.

njnets
10-20-2008, 07:39 PM
terry should be starting because kidd is getting worse and worse and his offense ain't what it used to be. terry would provide outside support, howard inside, dirk everywhere, dampier inside on the block, and kidd dishing passes. simple and easy.

Lone Maverick
10-20-2008, 09:59 PM
I like Dallas' bench, its better than its been the last few years for sure. I like Terry and Stack coming off the bench to provide scoring for the 2nd unit.

CrowninMe
10-20-2008, 11:35 PM
Kidd is a starter, even when he's old. Dallas needs an athletic big man to compete in the west. That's their real problem.

AirJordanXVIII
10-20-2008, 11:40 PM
We'll just flat out give you guys Willie Green.

RapsGuy23
10-21-2008, 01:13 AM
Kidd is a starter, even when he's old. Dallas needs an athletic big man to compete in the west. That's their real problem.

Agree ^^

KeithLBC
10-21-2008, 01:55 AM
The title is a little misleading. I was going to argue that their bench is already pretty deep and that they shouldn't be looking for anyone else :p

I agree with the Kidd comments too, look at what he did for the US team this last summer. Sure his numbers weren't good, but he seemed to be the veteran presence that was needed to get them over the hump. Maybe he'll be the glue to keep the Mavs focused on where they need to be headed.

#1Mavericksfan
10-21-2008, 02:52 AM
PG Kidd/McLeod/Barea
SG Wright/Terry/Stackhouse
SF Howard/Green/Singelton/George
PF Nowitzki/Bass/Williams
C Dampier/Diop

I don't know what some people are talking about but this Mavs team is deep, there young and athletic with guys like Wright, Green, Singelton, Bass and Williams to go along with the veterans so this team is deep, I just hope rick carlisle can get the full potential out of the young guys then there's no telling how good they can be.

Sevilla91
10-21-2008, 03:22 AM
for people saying terry should start and so should stackhouse...clearly yall dont know anything about the mavs. Terry will have more effect againt other teams 2nd team, we dont need him to be on the floor when the first team is out becuase he will be the 3rd option, his scoring will be better put to use when hes a first option. Wright is more for hustle plays and good defence, his mid range shot is a added bonus.

stackhouse is more for toughness than anything, noone is expecting him to put up but 8 points a game.

_Sn1P3r_
10-21-2008, 05:27 PM
I think it gives them that depth on the bench with Stack and Terry coming off.

Yea agreed.

Chronz
10-21-2008, 05:40 PM
I dont think Stackhouse can be considered as a strength off the bench anymore

TMAC94
10-21-2008, 05:41 PM
green should start

Rome
10-21-2008, 06:36 PM
I like Dallas' bench, its better than its been the last few years for sure. I like Terry and Stack coming off the bench to provide scoring for the 2nd unit.

For sure. I love the veteran leadership off the bench. Their bench will be solid.