PDA

View Full Version : Celtics Waive Darius Miles

BkOriginalOne
10-20-2008, 02:40 PM
http://www.nba.com/2008/news/10/20/102008milescut.ap/index.html

I actually thought he had a shot to make the team. Anyone think he'll find a home anywhere else this season?

MiamiHeat
10-20-2008, 02:48 PM
well that was fast...

jimbobjarree
10-20-2008, 02:48 PM
whats the deal with darius.

didnt the celtics sign him, and if he plays 10 games or something his 9mil goes back on the blazers cap?

is he unjured or very easily injured or something, tbh I dont really get the whole thing

Tblaze
10-20-2008, 02:50 PM
it was a non-guaranteed contract..

so wooooohooooooo party time!!!!!!!!!!

blackjack_119
10-20-2008, 02:57 PM
whats the deal with darius.

didnt the celtics sign him, and if he plays 10 games or something his 9mil goes back on the blazers cap?

is he unjured or very easily injured or something, tbh I dont really get the whole thing

Miles' game has always been about athleticism. He wasn't a good shooter or distributor or even defender, but he had elite athleticism. Looking at the him lately... he is just horribly out of shape.

Players who rely on pure athleticism and find themselves out of shape do not tend to perform well.

To answer your question, the Celtics invited him to Camp, but never signed him to a guaranteed contract. With his pending suspension, Miles must sign with a team, serve his ten game suspension, and after that, play in 10 games. If that happens, then Miles' salary will go back on the Blazers payroll.

jetsfan28
10-20-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm a bit surprised no team has signed him, agreed to just pay him through game 20, have him basically go on the court for a minute a game, and add the money to Portland's payroll.

Rome
10-20-2008, 03:03 PM
I would sign him for that factor alone. Top teams in the west should look at him.

Tblaze
10-20-2008, 03:04 PM
I'm a bit surprised no team has signed him, agreed to just pay him through game 20, have him basically go on the court for a minute a game, and add the money to Portland's payroll.

I don't think you can offer someone a contract for an amount of games... It's either a one-year deal, or a 10-day contract I think..

JayW_1023
10-20-2008, 03:14 PM
This is the reason for the leagues age limit. For every LeBron James there are like 5 or 6 Darius Mileses. Miles is the typical example of a spoiled athlete that was given too much too soon, to the point where the work ethic suffers. His reliance on his athleticism for too long has made him very injury prone to a complete non-factor. all is left is the big bucks and that empty feeling of not having realized your potential. It's the Shawn Kemp effect, only faster.

JordansBulls
10-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Who do the Celtics have to come off the bench now?

MiamiHeat
10-20-2008, 03:28 PM

http://www.talkhoops.net/image%20folder/cassell.jpg

blazerman
10-20-2008, 03:32 PM

If a team was to do that, all they would be doing was taking a roster spot away from someone who really deserves it.

They'd all so be throwing more money at that chump Miles(he doesnt deserve s**t).

The Blazers will get who they want via free agency regardless of Miles 9mil coming off this yr or next(LaFrentz 12.7mil and S.Francis 15.8mil off this yr). His 9mil will just be some cushion when Roy and LA get there new contracts.

Just because the Blazers have an up and coming team with alot of cap space shouldnt be a reason to slam them by doing some chicken s**t move like that. I think other NBA front offices will take notice( if they havent already) how the Blazers front office has taken the Blazers from a laughing stock to a potentially really good team and allowed themselves to be under the cap.

Yes the Blazers will only get better by the offseason via trade or free agency but there are numerous teams that can benefit from the course Portland has taken.One being, not trying to get back to a higher level of play by acquiring overpriced under achieving players in free agency and trusting there front office to make the right decisions through the draft.

barreleffact
10-20-2008, 05:24 PM
This is the reason for the leagues age limit. For every LeBron James there are like 5 or 6 Darius Mileses. Miles is the typical example of a spoiled athlete that was given too much too soon, to the point where the work ethic suffers. His reliance on his athleticism for too long has made him very injury prone to a complete non-factor. all is left is the big bucks and that empty feeling of not having realized your potential. It's the Shawn Kemp effect, only faster.

pretty harsh to say about a guy who was dealt a career endinginjury. i wonder what you;d say about lebron if he got one and tried to come back

barreleffact
10-20-2008, 05:28 PM
If a team was to do that, all they would be doing was taking a roster spot away from someone who really deserves it.

They'd all so be throwing more money at that chump Miles(he doesnt deserve s**t).

The Blazers will get who they want via free agency regardless of Miles 9mil coming off this yr or next(LaFrentz 12.7mil and S.Francis 15.8mil off this yr). His 9mil will just be some cushion when Roy and LA get there new contracts.

Just because the Blazers have an up and coming team with alot of cap space shouldnt be a reason to slam them by doing some chicken s**t move like that. I think other NBA front offices will take notice( if they havent already) how the Blazers front office has taken the Blazers from a laughing stock to a potentially really good team and allowed themselves to be under the cap.

Yes the Blazers will only get better by the offseason via trade or free agency but there are numerous teams that can benefit from the course Portland has taken.One being, not trying to get back to a higher level of play by acquiring overpriced under achieving players in free agency and trusting there front office to make the right decisions through the draft.

i agree and disagree. the blazers are great and up and coming too. many teams would love to have their situation. however their situation was fortunate at least. they stole ROY, who shouldve been the num1 pic,, and the following year they got the num 1 pic and selected oden. outside some good trades, their team is the product of the lottery and being incredibly lucky.

DerekRE_3
10-20-2008, 05:43 PM
If I'm the Kings...I sign Daris Miles...play him like 30 seconds a game for 10 games...and screw the Trailblazers over. If I were a GM that's what I would do.

Tblaze
10-20-2008, 06:18 PM
If I'm the Kings...I sign Daris Miles...play him like 30 seconds a game for 10 games...and screw the Trailblazers over. If I were a GM that's what I would do.

then you would be a horrible gm, caring more about messing with other teams affairs then your own team ;)

plus I don't see why you would, since the kings aren't going to meet them in the playoffs anytime soon ;)

znick21
10-20-2008, 06:40 PM
i agree and disagree. the blazers are great and up and coming too. many teams would love to have their situation. however their situation was fortunate at least. they stole ROY, who shouldve been the num1 pic,, and the following year they got the num 1 pic and selected oden. outside some good trades, their team is the product of the lottery and being incredibly lucky.

are you kidding me? getting the 1st pick to select oden was the only "luck" this organization was dealt. look back at the 2006 draft when you said roy should of been number one but he fell to them. first of all they had the best chance of getting the number 1 pick that year, which did they get? no they got the 4th which is the worst and most unlucky pick you could get in that situation. they managed to trade that 4th pick (tyrus thomas) along with viktor khryapa (who is back in russia btw) to the bulls for lamarcus aldridge one of the best young pf's in the game. they then convinced the celtics that sebastian telfair would be more valuable to their team then the number 7 pick which turned out to be randy foye. but they wanted roy all along and he was picked at #6 so they got minny to swap players. nothing about any of this seems lucky to me, just very very very smart front office maneuvers.

and i didn't even mention dumping zach randolph for channing frye and the cap space to put them in this position this summer, rudy fernandez, sergio rodriguez, nicolas batum, and james jones for NOTHING. plus the talent they have developing overseas in freeland and kopenen.

oden was lucky i'll be the first to admit that, but what kevin pritchard has done is nothing short of amazing.

MTar786
10-20-2008, 07:16 PM
are you kidding me? getting the 1st pick to select oden was the only "luck" this organization was dealt. look back at the 2006 draft when you said roy should of been number one but he fell to them. first of all they had the best chance of getting the number 1 pick that year, which did they get? no they got the 4th which is the worst and most unlucky pick you could get in that situation. they managed to trade that 4th pick (tyrus thomas) along with viktor khryapa (who is back in russia btw) to the bulls for lamarcus aldridge one of the best young pf's in the game. they then convinced the celtics that sebastian telfair would be more valuable to their team then the number 7 pick which turned out to be randy foye. but they wanted roy all along and he was picked at #6 so they got minny to swap players. nothing about any of this seems lucky to me, just very very very smart front office maneuvers.

and i didn't even mention dumping zach randolph for channing frye and the cap space to put them in this position this summer, rudy fernandez, sergio rodriguez, nicolas batum, and james jones for NOTHING. plus the talent they have developing overseas in freeland and kopenen.

oden was lucky i'll be the first to admit that, but what kevin pritchard has done is nothing short of amazing.

i agee.. only thing im worried about is how he's gonna resign roy, aldridge, oden, outlaw and whoever else when they want good expensive contracts? im sure kevin will be able to come up wit something..

SAVAGE CLAW
10-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Kevin Pritchard may be enjoying his breath back.

kylem4711
10-20-2008, 07:47 PM
thats too bad...

SAVAGE CLAW
10-20-2008, 07:59 PM
If he is serious about coming back he should come europe for a season and prove the league he is back in shape.

dre1990
10-20-2008, 08:10 PM
most of us knew this would happen......

Beno7500
10-20-2008, 08:13 PM
WTF. That was quick.

SAVAGE CLAW
10-20-2008, 08:23 PM
This also means Cassell will play one more season.

God why is so difficult for players to make te right decision and retire at the proper time.

He is Crawling trough the pitch, he has 3 rings, He could have Retired on a ring note this summer.

Now he risks to retire as a loser if the dont go back to back.

#1Mavericksfan
10-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Some team is gonna give him a chance...but I think with Bill Walker surprising people in Boston that just ended any chance Miles had of making the team.

JayW_1023
10-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Europe would actually be a great option for a player in Miles situation.

GregOden#1
10-20-2008, 08:35 PM

We, the Portland fans, have run this through our heads and we've already found that if Boston was to play Miles 10 games Portland would still have the option of keeping him off the cap. ALOT of things have to go wrong for Portland to lose that 9 million, we're still looking at 25+ million before resignings.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
10-20-2008, 09:13 PM
that sucks for him

Nighthawk
10-20-2008, 09:18 PM

Tony Allen-Whos been a straight BEAST in preseason.....But its JUST preseason
P.Obryant-Hes looking like a solid part of the C's rotation
L.Powe-Only getting better
B.Walker-Freak athlete. Much younger than Miles
E.House
Big Baby
Giddens

BRADfromOZ
10-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Or you play him 9 games and offer the Blazers a trade involving Miles plus scrubs for Outlaw and someone else.

ttam68
10-20-2008, 09:26 PM

How are you going to claim an injury is due to being too young. Miles was pretty good before he was injured. I'm not going to say he ever would have met his full potential, I think he would've been more of a Ricky Davis type guy when he could've been great.

However, how can you possibly say that if he had been 22 instead of 18 things would be any different? Don't act like no one out of college has ever had a career ending injury. Such ignorance.

barker
10-20-2008, 09:36 PM
damn, there goes the repeat, wonder if he still has those doritos?:rolleyes:

Yogi
10-20-2008, 09:39 PM
He'll get on a squad somewhere.

Big Quett
10-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Or you play him 9 games and offer the Blazers a trade involving Miles plus scrubs for Outlaw and someone else.

That is just stupid.

First off if u cut a player and he still has years on his contract. The team that signs him cant trade him back to the team that cut him until his original contract is up.

RapsGuy23
10-21-2008, 12:47 AM
Good move by the Celtics

JayW_1023
10-21-2008, 05:35 AM
The major reason why Miles got injured is because he didn't work on his condioning even before he got injured. The guy is all talent and no work ethic. The guy was skin and bones and playing above the rim. You're more likely to get a serious injury playing like that.

This kid got hype before he did anything significant in the league to justify that hype. I feel bad that he got injured and all, but in his case it was a direct result of not preparing yourself properly for a 82-game season.

It may be a harsh comment, but it's the truth. It happens alot to young guys. Jonathan Bender and Shaun Livingston are talented too, but they too have been the victim of injury because they have had poor conditioning. Hit the weight room and prepare yourself properly and you're a whole lot less likely to het shelved to the point where you can't come back.

The age limit is there so that in college players will learn how to deal with getting yourself in shape and playing as a team. It's there for a reason.

blazerman
10-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Overseas for Miles, I hear they have good weed in Amsterdam, he'll never come back

blazerman
10-21-2008, 11:58 AM

Lucky indeed, but our GM K.Pritchard is the real reason behind the turn around.

He has pulled off trade after trade that have allowed the Blazers to get the some of the players we have today and all the cap space tommorrow.

KP trades Z. Randolph and huge contract to Knicks for Frye and S. Francis expiring contract.

Traded S.Telfair and T.Ratliff for Boston's #7 pick then selected R.Foye and Lafrentz's expiring contract(ultimately B.Roy and 12.7mil cap space for those 2)

Traded R.Foye for B.Roy(this trade, by law should've been a felony)

Selected Tyrus Thomas with the 4th pick and traded him to Chicago for L. Aldridge,(theft in the 1st degree)

had Paul Allen buy Phoenix's #27 pick for 3mil(Rudy Fernandez,another theft charge for KP)

Getting Oden was luck, I think somebody up above decided this one.

Most of all, KP didnt run around making trades that didnt help. The Blazers won the lottery long before Oden got here, when they picked Kevin Pritchard as our GM with that pick.

One more thing, when KP was an assistant in 2004 he tried desperately to get the GM to draft Chris Paul instead the GM traded the 3rd pick to Utah for the 6th pick(Webster, that was the last stupid trade the Blazers have seen)

blazerman
10-21-2008, 12:17 PM

I just replied to this guy about KP'S skills at the GM position, now I read yours and mine looks like I copied your quote about him:clap:. Dang your good!::)

CELTICS4LYFE
10-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Overseas for Miles, I hear they have good weed in Amsterdam, he'll never come back

lmao

ee
10-21-2008, 02:13 PM
http://www.nba.com/2008/news/10/20/102008milescut.ap/index.html

I actually thought he had a shot to make the team. Anyone think he'll find a home anywhere else this season?

I saw their scrimages in NBA training camp, he looked lost out there, look out of shape......I think he's done.....Doc had to stop a few sets coz he was out of position and late setting picks.....

Tblaze
10-21-2008, 02:26 PM

what a beautiful reputation my country has :)

Halladay
10-21-2008, 02:45 PM
what a beautiful reputation my country has :)

Hookers and dope is pretty much all your known for lol. Also potato chips. Who wouldn't want to go to a party with dope, chips and hookers(in no paticular order)

blazerman
10-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Hookers and dope is pretty much all your known for lol. Also potato chips. Who wouldn't want to go to a party with dope, chips and hookers(in no paticular order)

That's funny,

I figured that Miles would like to sit at the end of the bench with gatorade and oxygen subsitute's (St.Pauly girl beer and a nice relaxing blunt and not get catch any heat for it and then have a a couple of "personel hookers, I mean trainers",take care of him back in the locker room)

Wait a minute, **** Miles going over there, I think I might want to go instead!

JayW_1023
10-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Miles should go to Europe...he'll earn the cash and also be a focal point of the offense...it's a chance to start over. He'd be crazy not to do that. It'll be a great situation for him.

_Sn1P3r_
10-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Yeah I think he should start over in Europe. I thought he was gonna make the team.