PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Schenn? And should he stay or go?

jrice9
10-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Whats your opinion on him. Do you think he should stay with the club after the 9 games or go back down to junior.

I think he has played well but should be sent down to kelowna so we save his fa time (while we are rebuilding) and he works on his game in the whl especially his offensive game so he can become more of a two way player. In kelowna he gets pp time

McJoe
10-20-2008, 01:18 PM
they should send him down...He's getting outplayed on a nightly basis IMO. He isnt ready

jrice9
10-20-2008, 01:34 PM
my poll didnt work. Mcjoe can you set one up

Frank Costanza
10-20-2008, 02:22 PM
i say send him down , use finger for key min, give carlo a bit more ice time, bring in schenn next yr after one yr of dominating in the AHL

AK-50
10-20-2008, 03:04 PM
well he does play well when he is paired with Frogren on the PK...but yea call him up next year send him back once Finger gets back

Halladay
10-20-2008, 03:24 PM
He should be sent down regardless of how he plays. Funny how MLSE said when they drafted him that there was no way they were going to rush such a promising prospect, they better not be stupid with it. The kid is 18 years old on roster consisting of waaay too many d-man and we're still years away from being a playoff team. If it were up to me, I'd leave Schenn in the minors for another 2 years. I just don't think teenagers should be in the NHL unless they're superstars like Crosby or something. Put him in the minors for atleast this season and let the kid get some confidence, bulk up a little bit and develope his offensive game.

jrice9
10-20-2008, 04:29 PM
My timeline for him is
08/09-9 games in NHL then WHL where he dominates
09/10- starts year in ahl gets november-december call up sticks with the club in a 4th- 6th dman role
010/11- break out year

bidi_nash
10-20-2008, 04:59 PM
He should be sent down no matter how he plays you don't want him to get ****ed up like has happend before in leafs history

jrice9
10-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Its the contract thing that mostly matters to me. I doubt he gets ****ed up because unlike Coliacovo he can take a hit and doesnt play recklessly

H-MYK
10-20-2008, 07:47 PM
He should be sent down, he's not ready.

ShaunRiching9
10-20-2008, 08:01 PM
yes i would send him down he is not ready and the leafs have a history of ruining up and coming defensemen.

yahmez88
10-20-2008, 10:49 PM
I am just concerned with the contract perspective, he has learned some things and can improve and stays cheep for another year

JaysFan87
10-21-2008, 12:40 AM
i dont understand why everyone thinks sending him down is the right move.......screw contract perspective and screw the fact that he is 18 years old....if a player is ready to play with the big boys then he is ready to play with the big boys. Why everyone thinks sending a player back down to junior is ALWAYS a good thing is beyond me.
Yea he is going to have his bad games, can u expect him to be perfect every game?? No, no one is, even the best players dont play well every game every shift.

Luke has played well enough to warrant a stay here. I dont care how good or bad the team will be this year if he deserves it, he deserves it. If u start to micro-manage and try to pick and choose when a player develops, THEN you get your self in trouble.

He should be here to stay...

JaysFan87
10-21-2008, 12:42 AM
Also what does screwing up players 15 years ago have to do with screwing up players now???

Its a red herring, they dont have any correlation to each other, other than the fact they both played for the leafs....Different time, different people involved....

drewbius416
10-21-2008, 01:10 AM
The important game is #40 because thats when it actually takes away one year towards UFA, the 9 games is only as far as the entry level contract

ramz.n
10-22-2008, 09:35 PM
i dont understand why everyone thinks sending him down is the right move.......screw contract perspective and screw the fact that he is 18 years old....if a player is ready to play with the big boys then he is ready to play with the big boys. Why everyone thinks sending a player back down to junior is ALWAYS a good thing is beyond me.
Yea he is going to have his bad games, can u expect him to be perfect every game?? No, no one is, even the best players dont play well every game every shift.

Luke has played well enough to warrant a stay here. I dont care how good or bad the team will be this year if he deserves it, he deserves it. If u start to micro-manage and try to pick and choose when a player develops, THEN you get your self in trouble.

He should be here to stay...

you people are considering sending him down because he is 18 years old, put the age aside, he has worked his butt off for a spot on this team, and i believe that he is physically mature enough to play this game, and we all know hes not going to be a type of breakout player who will score 20+ goals..fletch selected him knowing he was a physical defense man who will shut down opposing players and play on the pk, sure hes made a few mistakes but thats all in the learning process, hes also a young defence man, arguably the hardest position to play making the transition from the jr's to the nhl but i believe he has done a great job adjusting and you can't forget the fact that hes logging 25+ minutes a game which is what some of the top d-men in the league play.. so do you think by sending him down will boost his confidence and make him a better player?

con_artist
10-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Hes been playing great and i see no reason to send him down

Halladay
10-24-2008, 04:36 PM
There's too many reasons to send him down. If the Leafs don't sent him down, they're idiots.

yahmez88
10-24-2008, 06:16 PM
I think he should go down, but i think he will stay

bidi_nash
10-24-2008, 08:20 PM
it looks like it he will stay up

Kaptain Kanada
10-25-2008, 03:07 PM
There's too many reasons to send him down. If the Leafs don't sent him down, they're idiots.

Bingo.

JaysFan87
10-26-2008, 01:22 AM

What are the reasons???
He will get better in the juniors?? Thats not necessarily true, not every player sent back to junior gets better, sometimes they regress.
what he is an 18 year old playing in the nhl? What does age have to do with it if u are playing to the level of the competition?? .
what he is not getting enough ice time here to develop??? he is getting 22mpg here. that is plenty of minutes to develop. Plus he is also facing guys in practice who are much much better than the guys in junior and he is getting taught by one of the better coaches in the game. No such coach exists in junior.

I dont understand peoples thinking when it comes to this. They care more about his FA that doesn't come for at least another 7 years more than the player himself. He has shown to everyone that he is playing well beyond his years here and he is showing he can do it against the best. Why send him down now to face worse competition is beyond me.

AK-50
10-27-2008, 03:08 PM
theyre not sending him back down to Juniors i saw it on the ticker on The Score while watching some highlights

BlueLeafs
10-27-2008, 03:15 PM
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=253974&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

Luke Schenn will be staying with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The 18-year-old defenceman was told by management Monday afternoon that he will be staying in Toronto for the foreseeable future.

Once he appears in his 10th NHL game this season, Schenn will use up the first year of his entry-level contract. If he hits the 40 game mark with the Leafs, it will count toward a year of service when it comes to filing for free agency in the future.

AFlagRules
10-27-2008, 04:20 PM
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=253974&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

Schenn is a "Maple Leafs" fan if I'm not mistaken. Hockey seems to be the only sport where players like playing near the place they were born on such a huge scale. I don't think contracts and contract total will be a problem for him or for the Leafs. They know he's going to be a top D-Man one day and he knows he'll get paid and play for his favorite team.

yahmez88
10-27-2008, 04:23 PM
hmmn i guess he is staying not that happy or surprised but oh well

drewbius416
10-28-2008, 01:19 AM
Regardless of age or experience if Luke is playing like one of the teams top 4/5 defense men (and he has been) he should stay. If he were much more on the bubble i'd say send him down but he really has been one of the leafs top d men so far this year.

Kaptain Kanada
10-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Regardless of age or experience if Luke is playing like one of the teams top 4/5 defense men (and he has been) he should stay. If he were much more on the bubble i'd say send him down but he really has been one of the leafs top d men so far this year.

So what if he's one of the top 4 guys on the Leafs this year???

Are we not trying to build for the future? Wouldn't he be better served having an extra year in the minors and protecting his rights that much longer?

This doesn't make much sense to me as a Leafs fan. Looks like the same old stupid year to year management that has caused us problems forever.

F#&$

ShaunRiching9
10-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Our opinions dont matter anymore because he is staying which is ********

BluejaysFan08
10-30-2008, 03:25 PM
let him play in the world juniors after christmas, send him down and let him dominate for a few months

bodhi8880
11-01-2008, 10:17 AM
So what if he's one of the top 4 guys on the Leafs this year???

Are we not trying to build for the future? Wouldn't he be better served having an extra year in the minors and protecting his rights that much longer?

This doesn't make much sense to me as a Leafs fan. Looks like the same old stupid year to year management that has caused us problems forever.

F#&$

But would it serve HIM better? Your argument seems to hinge on what is more important financially for the team....

It's THAT kind of thinking that has kept the Leafs down these last few years..

Besides which, it's not as if the Leafs are going to finish in last place...If we're "building for the future" why can't the future be a year sooner than we (the fans) expected?

I can't believe all you guys who put dollar signs ahead of winning call yourselves fans.

Makes me sick.:puke:

McJoe
11-01-2008, 01:08 PM
^^we are the Leafs...money is never the issue cause we will spend right up to the cap til the end of time except this year apparently.

Schenn should be sent down cause he isnt ready...the only reason he is on this team is cause everyone loves him so much. Every time anyone gets hit he busts in there and drops his gloves and gets pounded but then takes the only penalty on the play. When Stajan got ruined by Wideman, Schenn went after Wideman and took the only penalty. When Stajan got hit from behind by Kostitsyn, Schenn dropped his gloves and mugged Kostitsyn which nullified the major that Kostitsyn wouldve picked up. When Neil ran over Stajan(im getting a trend here :p), Schenn went after Neil and got owned in a fight with him. Schenn takes way too many dumb penalties for my liking.

but the other reason i would have sent him back down is because if he goes back down then he gets to be the captain in Kelowna and rock **** there for another year, maybe develop some of his offensive abilities, and then he gets to be captain of another gold medal winning team canada team very likely, pick up his 3rd gold medal, and gain some very valuable experience. If we were to bring him up at the end of January when the World Juniors were over then thats fine he can be on the team the rest of the year after that but he should be going to play in the Juniors...

drewbius416
11-01-2008, 04:28 PM
^^we are the Leafs...money is never the issue cause we will spend right up to the cap til the end of time except this year apparently.

Schenn should be sent down cause he isnt ready...the only reason he is on this team is cause everyone loves him so much. Every time anyone gets hit he busts in there and drops his gloves and gets pounded but then takes the only penalty on the play. When Stajan got ruined by Wideman, Schenn went after Wideman and took the only penalty. When Stajan got hit from behind by Kostitsyn, Schenn dropped his gloves and mugged Kostitsyn which nullified the major that Kostitsyn wouldve picked up. When Neil ran over Stajan(im getting a trend here :p), Schenn went after Neil and got owned in a fight with him. Schenn takes way too many dumb penalties for my liking.

but the other reason i would have sent him back down is because if he goes back down then he gets to be the captain in Kelowna and rock **** there for another year, maybe develop some of his offensive abilities, and then he gets to be captain of another gold medal winning team canada team very likely, pick up his 3rd gold medal, and gain some very valuable experience. If we were to bring him up at the end of January when the World Juniors were over then thats fine he can be on the team the rest of the year after that but he should be going to play in the Juniors...
none of those I would consider "bad" penalties... bad penalties are the hooking and lazy one taken in the neutral zone... I actually like the fact theres some one on the the team with a big enough coin purse to stand up for his teammates and ofcourse he's gunna get owned by chris neil, just like me at 25 would rock any kid whos 17-20 but at least he's in there mixing it up.

McJoe
11-01-2008, 04:40 PM
^^bad penalties are when you put your team down a man for no reason...the Neil one is a good penalty i guess im not sure why i used that one but he cancelled what wouldve been a 5 minute PP when Stajan was ok and then put us down a man for no reason in the other 2...both bad penalties

bodhi8880
11-04-2008, 10:03 AM

But how much development is he going to get in Juniors?

Sure he'd be the best D-man in the CHL....But unless he goes against Tavares EVERY NIGHT, he's not gaining anything....

The simple fact is that he's playing like a top 4 d-man for the Leafs right NOW...learning from one of the best coaches in the game...

The experience he gets this year in the NHL will be far greater than anything he'd get playing with boys who are not at his skill level...

Johann
04-06-2011, 04:17 PM
I like him

yahmez88
04-06-2011, 04:23 PM
What's with all the bumps.

Tito Santana
04-06-2011, 04:23 PM
But how much development is he going to get in Juniors?

Sure he'd be the best D-man in the CHL....But unless he goes against Tavares EVERY NIGHT, he's not gaining anything....

The simple fact is that he's playing like a top 4 d-man for the Leafs right NOW...learning from one of the best coaches in the game...

The experience he gets this year in the NHL will be far greater than anything he'd get playing with boys who are not at his skill level...

I don't think bodhi8880 posts in this forum anymore.

McJoe
04-06-2011, 04:52 PM
I take back every bit of that post above...not sure what I was thinking. I LOVED that Schenn was the only guy sticking up for his teammates at the time.

Halladay
04-06-2011, 06:41 PM
He should be sent down regardless of how he plays. Funny how MLSE said when they drafted him that there was no way they were going to rush such a promising prospect, they better not be stupid with it. The kid is 18 years old on roster consisting of waaay too many d-man and we're still years away from being a playoff team. If it were up to me, I'd leave Schenn in the minors for another 2 years. I just don't think teenagers should be in the NHL unless they're superstars like Crosby or something. Put him in the minors for atleast this season and let the kid get some confidence, bulk up a little bit and develope his offensive game.

I still stand by this.

mikel17
04-06-2011, 07:08 PM
i thought that someone created this forum and wanted him to get traded or something aha now that would be the dumbest move ever in my opinion if he would be traded

jetsforever
04-06-2011, 07:46 PM
I love Schenn and the way he has developed. My favorite defenseman and probably our best defender in general.

He'll make a mistake here and there but he is the best we got IMO

faridk89
04-06-2011, 09:40 PM
i thought that someone created this forum and wanted him to get traded or something aha now that would be the dumbest move ever in my opinion if he would be traded

same here thought someone was actually thinking about not resigning him.... pshhh

Nofear
04-07-2011, 07:57 AM
This is getting pretty sad.

Hindsight is for losers that are afraid to go out on a limp in the first place and people have made a point to bump stuff to show someone else was wrong. If people had any balls, they would post their thoughts up front instead of this bump nonsense. Its not just this one but theres been at least 4 times in the last week. Tony Soprano said, "Remember when" is the lowest form of conversation.

One guy make a bump and now you're all heros. Grow up or at least get you're own material.

jrice9
04-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Not bad on myself. I sadi this would be his breakout season and i stand by he should have went back to junor. His offensive game could have developed more

Halladay
04-07-2011, 05:52 PM

Hindsight is for losers that are afraid to go out on a limp in the first place and people have made a point to bump stuff to show someone else was wrong. If people had any balls, they would post their thoughts up front instead of this bump nonsense. Its not just this one but theres been at least 4 times in the last week. Tony Soprano said, "Remember when" is the lowest form of conversation.

One guy make a bump and now you're all heros. Grow up or at least get you're own material.

You seem to be the only person here who has a problem with the bump. What exactly is wrong with looking back on your opinion at the time? I've been proven wrong with bumps before you don't hear me crying about it.

TO Rapz
04-07-2011, 06:28 PM

No one has a problem other then you. We re not here to bash the opinions of others, in fact, I havent been long enough to post back in 08, but I think its fun to look back and see what different people thought, and what our opinions were. Its fun to see how bad some opinions were and how spot on others were, because its just cool. No ones bashing, and if you have a problem with it, report it. I think bumps are awesome, and that Toskala one was pretty funny cuz people thought we resigned him. I ll have to say, this Leaf forum is one of the best forums on this site cuz it feels like game in game out, we have a family on this forum to discuss with, and we have a lot of fun. If you have a problem with it, just dont check out the bumps. :shrug:

Byronicle
04-07-2011, 07:09 PM
hmm I think Schenn should get one more year...this roster has changed a lot, and until we stop shaking things up, then we should truly assess this guy. I mean he is not that great of a defender and I think he needed more time in the minors but now he got a lot of significant time in the league and could finally mature into that player we wanted him to be

Lavy16
04-07-2011, 07:39 PM
This next season is going to be HUGE for Schenn...I think he gets an "A" during training camp and hopefully keeps developing the way he did this season. I still think he should have spent an extra year in junior and learned the offensive side of the game.

ramz.n
04-07-2011, 07:42 PM
This next season is going to be HUGE for Schenn...I think he gets an "A" during training camp and hopefully keeps developing the way he did this season. I still think he should have spent an extra year in junior and learned the offensive side of the game.

he certainly does, going into next season its be nice to see
phaneuf with the c
schenn with the a
armstrong with the a

..komisarek has done nothing to deserve wearing a letter.

Lavy16
04-07-2011, 07:50 PM
he certainly does, going into next season its be nice to see
phaneuf with the cschenn with the a
armstrong with the a

..komisarek has done nothing to deserve wearing a letter.

I personally don't think Phaneuf has done anything to deserve the "C"...I think he got it by default last year

Tito Santana
04-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Schenn and Phaneuf are total opposites both personality wise and on the ice. If only they could be combined...

clutchski
04-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Jesus I actually thought this was a 2011 thread :laugh2:

clutchski
04-08-2011, 01:10 PM
What's with all the bumps.

Haha the Leaf forum bumps are funny as ****

McJoe
04-08-2011, 03:12 PM

Do they have an "A" to give? From what I've seen Grabo has been wearing it since Colby got hurt and he had been wearing it since Beauchemin was dealt. I think Colby probably retains that letter so they would have to take Komisarek's, which I don't see them doing with the already lack of confidence he has. Then again, maybe that's the boost he needs to have less pressure. Dion will be wearing the "C" obviously and I think Colby gets one of the "A"s.

I could MAYBE see them rotating the "A"s between Colby, Komisarek, Schenn, and Grabo/MacArthur. I could see it.

gerber
04-08-2011, 03:27 PM
I personally don't think Phaneuf has done anything to deserve the "C"...I think he got it by default last year

But now that the season is over or will be over 2morrow, I can comfortably say that he deserves the C.

Trust me I hated Dion when he got the C, check my older post Im pretty sure I started up a thread about how he is the worst captain of alllllll time.