PDA

View Full Version : Who would be the ideal Superstar Player to play with Allen Iverson?

JordansBulls
10-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Who would be the ideal Superstar Player to play with Allen Iverson?

Can he work effectively with another wing player or does he need a big man to work with?

Faneik
10-20-2008, 10:20 AM
Dwight , Amare, Bosh.

Basically a top big man.

PhxGiant
10-20-2008, 10:38 AM
I agree that it would have to be a top big man. A big man with some passing ability would be ideal for him IMO.

Zefflin
10-20-2008, 10:39 AM
Howard or KG.

jimbobjarree
10-20-2008, 10:47 AM
someone that would pass to him all the time and would always let him take all the shots

Verbal Christ
10-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Yao

AtlFANATIC
10-20-2008, 10:57 AM
that's easy....Tim Duncan. Duncan can pass and he's level-heade enough to know that AI will shoot all day. They would compliment each other nicely.

The Magic Man
10-20-2008, 11:00 AM
Dwight Howard and AI= Championship

Zefflin
10-20-2008, 11:04 AM
that's easy....Tim Duncan. Duncan can pass and he's level-heade enough to know that AI will shoot all day. They would compliment each other nicely.

I thought that too but TD spends a lot of time in the post. Kind of pointless for AI to be running around and penatrating only to dish it to TD and watch him post up. I know he has a good mid range game too but I just don't think they'd pair well together.

FOBolous
10-20-2008, 11:09 AM
I think Dwight Howard would be perfect with him. Dwight Howard doesn't demand the ball on offense and he can clean up very well after AI both on offense (with offensive rebounds) and defense (with his post presence since AI likes to gamble a lot).

$ NyC $
10-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Dwight Howard. Howard can run with AI, is athletic enough for AI 2 lob the ball 2 and slam it down, can allow AI 2 gamble on defense with his ability 2 block shots, and could clean up after AI real well since he's a rebounding monster. He also could be that 22 ppg A.I. need's next 2 him. He would also take pressure off of Dwight and if positioned right could allow AI 2 drive better. I think they're just a great duo.

ShakeN'Bake
10-20-2008, 11:28 AM
I think he would work well with KG

barreleffact
10-20-2008, 11:29 AM
im with D12 for today, but I dont think AI has enough in the tank to be the 1st option on a championship squad. my reasoning behind that is he would need someone else like in boston or they arent going to win. it generaly takes a few years to gel before you get that ring, and AI doesnt have thaaaat much time left to be a number 1 guy.

In his prime, I would have loved to see him with a prime Alonzo though. that would have been spectacular

PhillySportFan
10-20-2008, 11:43 AM
AI Sixer days are way behind him, he's not that player anymore. Him in his prime would of worked perfectly with Timmy, I hear AI with D12 but no, AI needs a high IQ player with him someone that really understands what to do with the ball, Timmy is probably the best choice, he could do with KG probably to though.

Wilson
10-20-2008, 11:45 AM
I thought that too but TD spends a lot of time in the post. Kind of pointless for AI to be running around and penatrating only to dish it to TD and watch him post up. I know he has a good mid range game too but I just don't think they'd pair well together.

I thought TD too, but you make a very good point on how it wouldn't work. I'll agree with everyone saying Dwight Howard, since he can run in a fast break system, and is still a good option in a half court system. Like someone else said, Howard will also get some offensive rebounds if Iverson goes on a shooting binge, and can clean up a bit on the defensive side if Iverson gambles and misses.

I do think Iverson is at a point in his career where he doesn't need to be the number one guy though, he could probably play with any top big man in the game. I think he would benefit from having a defensive minded guard start alongside him as well, so that his big man doesn't have to clean up his mistakes too much and risk foul trouble.

18colts29
10-20-2008, 11:52 AM
I would love to see AI and Kobe play together.

Wilson
10-20-2008, 12:05 PM
I would love to see AI and Kobe play together.

This is another one of those combos that would only look good on paper, IMO. They both need the ball in their hands to be most effective, so it just wouldn't work.

Aapox
10-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Tim Duncan or Yao Ming.

MylesKong
10-20-2008, 12:11 PM
I think he would work well with KG
Agreed. I think KG would be the most ideal teammate for AI. But then again, KG might just be the ideal teammate. He even had good days with Marbury for goodness sake. K-Gai would be unstoppable!

Chicagofaithful
10-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Amare

RapsGuy23
10-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Give AI a premier big a watch out. Bosh, Howard, Amare etc....someone who demands a double in the post. A dominant big would give AI lots of space to operate in and we all know how little space he need get a shot off or drive to to basket. A premier big to make easy hoops off the double and triple teams AI at times demands. AI + Elite Big = A serious run at a championship.

MoBASS
10-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Yao Ming

eugene
10-20-2008, 12:45 PM
KG, TD, Dwight... Shaq in his prime maybe?

PhxGiant
10-20-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm thinking KG would be the best big to pair up with A.I. He can step out and hit the jumper, good passer, and he can dominate the low post giving A.I. room to do his thing.

BkOriginalOne
10-20-2008, 01:18 PM
AI with any top big man. Howard, Duncan, KG, Amare
AI with top point guards. Dwill, Billups
AI with top perimeter players. Lebron or Kobe (yes I know, but they're too talented not to make it work)

I definitely think AI has everything left in the tank to be the leader of a team. We're talking about a guy who if a team was built around him, he could still get something like 30ppg, 7apg, 4rpg 2.0spg.

However, I think at this point he doesnt need to do all of that he's better in a system where he can something like 24ppg 9apg, 3rpg, 2.5 steals

if he can average anything near these numbers this season the nuggets will do well. Remember they were like .800 when AI got plus 10apg.

rhino17
10-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Tim Duncan

or

Yao Ming

thedfactor
10-20-2008, 01:43 PM
dirk

qwestion13
10-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Shaq.

6 years ago....

JayW_1023
10-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Iverson would be most effective on a team where he can concentrate on just scoring the basketball and going to the line. A dominant back-to-the-basket big man that plays efficient on the block, like Duncan, Boozer, Brand, Yao or Sheed (if he can deal with leaving erratic perimeter shooting to AI). Iverson is good but he isn't the most efficient offensive player. He doesn't just need a good big man, he needs a great big man. Not only great on the low block, but also great defender on the weakside if Iversons gambling for steals backfires.

A perimeter oriented big like Dirk or KG wouldn't really matter much, simply because AI has never shot over 50 percent. KG and Dirk are mostly jump shooters. They really don't demand double teams down low. Heck KG isn't even the best low post scorer on his own team...Paul Pierce is. With Iverson on your squad you don't need your best big settling for low percentage shots as well.

Lakersfan2483
10-20-2008, 02:32 PM
Who would be the ideal Superstar Player to play with Allen Iverson?

Can he work effectively with another wing player or does he need a big man to work with?

Shaq (in his prime) would have been a good player for Iverson to play with. I also think he would succeed with either Kobe or Lebron. Contrary to popular belief, Iverson shares the ball and averages around 7 assists a game.

23LBJCleBrowns
10-20-2008, 02:43 PM
Tim Duncan.

MiamiHeat
10-20-2008, 02:46 PM
DUNCAN
D. HOWARD
KG
YAO
BOSH

one of those would be great with A.I

JayW_1023
10-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Shaq (in his prime) would have been a good player for Iverson to play with. I also think he would succeed with either Kobe or Lebron. Contrary to popular belief, Iverson shares the ball and averages around 7 assists a game.

7 assists can be very misleading, at least in Iversons case. He only passes when he knows he isn't in a position to score or when it'll count as an assist. He isn't a guy who willingly passes the ball. He is still a shoot first player and not a distributor. He only creates from his penetration to draw in a help defender and can make split decision to go to the hole or pass out to the open shooter...but his main goal is to score the basketball.

I admire Iverson for his toughness, competitive nature and ability to come through in the clutch. As an indvidual player is as talented as they come. But he isn't a guy that willingly moves the ball. He needs the ball in his hands most of the time and rarely plays off the ball.

There are more players with this approach...like Baron Davis, Mo Williams and Gilbert Arenas...all fine players...but they too look for their own offense and tend to disrupt the flow of the offense at times with their drive and dish/quick trigger games.

The reason why Iverson was so effective as a Sixer in 2001 is because Larry Brown recognized that mentality in him and shifted him to shooting guard. The real reason that Sixers team was so good is because of their defense with Mutombo as the main weakside defender, Snow and McKie being a tall point guards that would guard the Kobes, Carters and McGrady's so A.I. wouldn't have to.

If A.I. has similair pieces along with shooter to kick out to he'd be more efficient. Unfortunately in Denver Melo needs the same amount of touches to be effective, and Camby isn't there for weakside help. Hopefully Renaldo Balkman can be effective...but Anthony Carter can't guard 2's. Great backcourt mates to pair Iverson with are Chauncey Billups or Hinrich...guys who will get him the ball and still guard guys like Kobe, Wade or Manu at the other end so Iverson won't get abused on D.

DrHoops21
10-20-2008, 04:17 PM
DWade and Beastly MAKE IT HAPPEN

myoo2182
10-22-2008, 03:11 PM
I'd have to go with KG. Before landing in Denver there were rumors that minnesota was making a run for him but didn't want to give up certain pieces and didnt have enough expiring contracts to compensate. KG openly said he wanted AI and AI openly said he wanted to play with KG in Minnesota. Those two would have worked well I think. KG demands defense and better play from his team. A.I. would come in, play harder on defense and still cause chaos for other teams when he's on offense. KG would not have to work as hard for his points if he's parked in the post and AI penetrates and finishes or dishes off to KG. He did it in Denver all the time, except Denver doesn't have big men who finish quite as well as KG whether it be with power or finesse. KG also has a nice touch from midrange and has a very high basketball IQ. He's one of the most talkative guys on the defensive end directing the traffic while being able to see the whole floor. Plus he commands a double allowing A.I. the lanes to drive.

The next option I would agree should be Timmy or D12. D12 because he's freakishly athletic, still has loads of time to improve and can really run the floor and finish on the break. Timmy is just so fundamentally sound, smart and unselfish that its a natural good pairing with A.I. .. Ai, Tony Parker and Timmy are not exactly the trio you would use as a starting lineup. The backcourt would be the quickest in the league but would be too small... but man, could you imagine the nightmare it would be for opposing teams to prepare for an offense spearheaded by Timmy, Iverson, Parker and Ginobilli? wow that would be a sight to watch.

IndyRealist
10-22-2008, 03:37 PM
All of the conversation seems to focus on who will complement AI, and for that I would also say a premier big man, Duncan especially since he already pairs so well with Parker. But as to who would AI complement, I would definitely have to go with Dirk. Iverson's penetration would pull double teams, and the player most likely to double would be Dirk's man, who's 7ft and didn't want to leave the paint anyway. If Dirk's man stays put, then there's no shot blocker in the lane. If they switch a SF/PF on Dirk, then they're not tall enough to bother his shot. Dirk is best shooting spot up 3's, and doesn't need the ball to be in scoring position. AI drive and dish, or Iverson/Nowitzki pick-and-pop. Stockton/Malone was so successful because Malone could, and often did, hit 18ft jump shots. Nowitzki can hit 3's.

pete_one
10-22-2008, 03:43 PM
someone that would pass to him all the time and would always let him take all the shots

yeah, and one whom can braid his hair too

_Sn1P3r_
10-22-2008, 04:21 PM
DUNCAN
D. HOWARD
KG
YAO
BOSH

one of those would be great with A.I

Yeah agreed. When I saw the title, the first that came to my head was a good big man.

Ragan
10-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Iversons ideal team would be a 2nd ball handler / shooter (who could hopefully play D) at 2, a defender with a jumper at 3, a capable post player who can step out and shoot at 4, and a defender who can dunk at 5. Doesn't need to be superstars, just good players.

Something like McCants, Battier, Sheed, Camby. I honestly think that's a really good, contending team. (Obviously if you upgrade those to Kev Martin, Bowen, KG, and Howard, thats a better team, but my first attempt was at least realistic...)

JOSETHEALLSTAR
10-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Amare in and outside scoring

Ansy
10-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Iverson takes a lot of shots at average efficiency. To win with him you need a possession advantage and some really good efficiency from your other main scorer. I'm going with the best rebounder in the league and a guy that shoots 60% -- D Howard.

ee
10-22-2008, 07:38 PM
KG, someone who's been there as long as he is....Not a young star......Someone experienced enough that he'll respect.....

cmellofan15
10-22-2008, 07:43 PM
All of the conversation seems to focus on who will complement AI, and for that I would also say a premier big man, Duncan especially since he already pairs so well with Parker. But as to who would AI complement, I would definitely have to go with Dirk. Iverson's penetration would pull double teams, and the player most likely to double would be Dirk's man, who's 7ft and didn't want to leave the paint anyway. If Dirk's man stays put, then there's no shot blocker in the lane. If they switch a SF/PF on Dirk, then they're not tall enough to bother his shot. Dirk is best shooting spot up 3's, and doesn't need the ball to be in scoring position. AI drive and dish, or Iverson/Nowitzki pick-and-pop. Stockton/Malone was so successful because Malone could, and often did, hit 18ft jump shots. Nowitzki can hit 3's.

I'm sorry I stopped reading after this. Tony Parker isn't AI and AI isn't Tony Parker. They're completely different players and in no way will AI and Duncan work as good as Parker and Duncan b/c Tony Parker is a way better fit for the situation. I think a guy like Gerald Wallace would work if they didn't demand the ball as much

Wilson
10-22-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm sorry I stopped reading after this. Tony Parker isn't AI and AI isn't Tony Parker. They're completely different players and in no way will AI and Duncan work as good as Parker and Duncan b/c Tony Parker is a way better fit for the situation. I think a guy like Gerald Wallace would work if they didn't demand the ball as much

That's a bit harsh. Allen Iverson and Tony Parker both play a style in which they get into the lane and create a lot of fouls, they're not polar opposites.

cmellofan15
10-22-2008, 08:03 PM
That's a bit harsh. Allen Iverson and Tony Parker both play a style in which they get into the lane and create a lot of fouls, they're not polar opposites.

I wasn't trying to diss either one but they do both drive but they even drive differently. I just think that Tony Parker doesn't NEED points to do his job so he would be the more obvious pick...

mrblisterdundee
10-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Allen Iverson is one of the best combo guards ever. He can take it to the basket and draw the foul at will, or hang out and knock down the jumper. His situation is the same as Kobe's. A post presence that can score down low, rebound, and pass a little is what he needs.
He's never played with a truly great post presence. Theo Ratliff was good. Chris Webber would have been it if he had come to Philadelphia before his knee injury. Marcus Camby is one of the best defensive centers ever, but didn't have the post scoring ability to fit the bill. All Carmello can do is score.
Allen Iverson is just as skilled as Kobe Bryant, but has never had as much help, or the right type of help. Somebody with a massively talented big needs to figure this out and get Iverson to help win a championship.
Philidelphia could be the right fit, but probably can't afford him unless he gives up money. Phoenix could be a great fit for his quickness and scoring ability, but can't afford him either. Maybe Orlando might like a real combo shooting guard to compliment their beast, but they prematurely ejaculated it all on Rashard Lewis. There are a number of teams that could go over the top with a perennial phenom like Iverson.

dre1990
10-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Dwight Howard or Kg

mrblisterdundee
10-22-2008, 08:20 PM
im with D12 for today, but I dont think AI has enough in the tank to be the 1st option on a championship squad. my reasoning behind that is he would need someone else like in boston or they arent going to win. it generaly takes a few years to gel before you get that ring, and AI doesnt have thaaaat much time left to be a number 1 guy.

In his prime, I would have loved to see him with a prime Alonzo though. that would have been spectacular

He's got plenty in the tank. Playing with Carmello, he was still the leading scorer. If Carmello hadn't played, Iverson would have averaged over 30 points per game. Iverson's secret to continuous success is scoring about half his points from the free throw line.

Shieldsz
10-22-2008, 08:21 PM
KG, Shaq (when he was younger), Dwight.

Some sort of dominant post presence.

Tmac,lt,berkman
10-22-2008, 08:42 PM
dwight howard or chris bosh

kvrnm
10-22-2008, 08:45 PM
not a superstar, but i think tayshaun prince would do good with him... he doesnt demand the ball, but is still a solid scorer, he would let ai do his thing, and wen need be hed step up..

AIMelo=KillaDUO
10-22-2008, 09:03 PM
cp3

BRADfromOZ
10-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Chris Bosh or Tim Duncan.

nickmacera
10-22-2008, 09:38 PM
favourite player and i can ommit you can put him with anyoone and stilll lose carmellooooo anthonnnyyy

kobe24>jordan23
10-22-2008, 09:39 PM
bynum youngest center in the nba with the most potential

hdxstunts1
10-22-2008, 10:04 PM
No one can play well with Allen Iverson he is a selfish player that would play 1 on everyteam in the league if he could. He thinks hes all that and a bag of chips but he aint. He was good for a few seasons with Phili and then he became the crappy cocky player that wants to do everything.

ee
10-22-2008, 11:00 PM
cp3

that backcourt would be too small.....I think he can play with a big PG like a young Jkidd who can guard the 2 guard position well.....

DenButsu
10-22-2008, 11:10 PM
KG, TD, Dwight... Shaq in his prime maybe?

That was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the thread title, so I'll stick with it.

Although the benefit of Dwight would be his ability to run the floor better.

DenButsu
10-22-2008, 11:15 PM
DWade and Beastly MAKE IT HAPPEN

Don't make random-*** posts like this, please.

---------------------------

Giving a little more thought to who AI is actually playing with now, if Nene can return to his spring 2007 form (and it looks like he's already getting closer to it), the Nuggets are going to be a lot better than everybody is thinking right now. AI-JR-Melo-K-Mart-Nene is a lineup of 3 current/former All-Stars and 2 potential ones.

IversonIsKrazy
10-22-2008, 11:38 PM
currently....

1. KG
2. Amare
3. Dirk
4. Bosh
5. TD

EssexRaider
10-23-2008, 09:31 PM
dwight howard would be perfect for A.I.

cheesesteak121
10-23-2008, 09:49 PM
yao ming ching ching ching

Bruno
10-25-2008, 08:39 AM
KG. He may be the one man who could radiated defensive intensity into A.I.

laker1000
10-25-2008, 11:10 AM
i think dwight howard and him could be a very dangerous combo.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-25-2008, 12:35 PM
I say big man cuz he likes to have the ball in the perimeter

I say player like amare or dwight or anyother player that could post up and get alley-oops

NYYankeesWin#27
10-25-2008, 01:01 PM
I think Dwight Howard would be perfect with him. Dwight Howard doesn't demand the ball on offense and he can clean up very well after AI both on offense (with offensive rebounds) and defense (with his post presence since AI likes to gamble a lot).

r u kidding? he told his coach he wanted ball more and he already gets it most of the game. no way DH and AI they both somewut of ball hogs

Lebron23
10-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Sidekick of LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan.

thefranchise87
03-03-2014, 04:36 AM
Misleading to who? I don't get what you are trying to say. It sounds like not being in position to score and knowing when you can assist in a basket are two great times to pass. You have to be a great player to put up those numbers and create those opportunities for teammates. Although you allow Iverson to save some face you also imply something. My guess is that you would argue that a different player would better fit your criteria for what you think a point guard should be. Whatever you meant you didn't say. When I read your comment I see that you have some type of criticism to Iverson's game and I don't think you communicated that effectively. Honestly, if Iverson wanted to lead the league in assists he could have. The idea is that he didn't have the players on his team to do so and produce the same number of wins. He could have been a Steve Nash but he chose not to. Yeah Nash led the league a handful of times but wasn't as good of a player as Iverson. Put Nash on the Sixers instead and they are a losing team every year. Any scorer would prefer to be paired with Nash, but a winner would choose Iverson. A lot of players mentioned on this thread would have allowed Iverson to further showcase his basketball brilliance. Nash got way too much credit. Shaq, Dwight, Garnett, Rondo, Kevin Durant, MCW, or Carmelo could have won multiple championships with the right supporting casts. Put Melo on the squad in 01 and they may have won it all with Mutumbo down low. I think Dikembe was past his prime even way back then when Iverson carried the team. Dominating the game and leading the team is what Iverson was good at. Plain and simple.

7 assists can be very misleading, at least in Iversons case. He only passes when he knows he isn't in a position to score or when it'll count as an assist. He isn't a guy who willingly passes the ball. He is still a shoot first player and not a distributor. He only creates from his penetration to draw in a help defender and can make split decision to go to the hole or pass out to the open shooter...but his main goal is to score the basketball.

Jeffy25
03-03-2014, 04:39 AM
a good defensive big man that doesn't want to score

AIverson
03-03-2014, 04:41 AM
Just put him on OKC in place of Westbrook. Boom there you go.

Jeffy25
03-03-2014, 04:43 AM
old bump, closing