PDA

View Full Version : How do you think Tom Brady will rebound next season?

Red_Sox_89
10-20-2008, 02:59 AM
I just wanted to know what you guys think Brady will be capable of when he comes back. Will he put up more record-breaking numbers?

bagwell368
10-20-2008, 07:57 AM
No. Given the history of record breaking QB's back to the mid 60's there is usually one year that stands alone, and then things fall back to earth slowly or quickly after that.

Given the team and coach are aging, and Brady's recovery is an unknown, I would be happy with a season in which he throws 28 TD's, 11 INT's, 3500 yards, and gets a 94 QB rating.

I am most worried about a loss of mobility. He starts taking hits full on, he is going to miss more time, and the sands of time for the Pats are going to run out faster.

Patsfan56
10-20-2008, 08:14 AM
I just wanted to know what you guys think Brady will be capable of when he comes back. Will he put up more record-breaking numbers?

To me, it will mostly depend on where our O line is next season. This is just my opinion, but we need better protection and power up front to protect Brady and open up our running game. Brady will shake off some rust, and then he will be fine. Not 50 TD every season fine, but maybe 30. We'll see.

The Intimidator
10-20-2008, 09:17 AM
I am most worried about a loss of mobility. He starts taking hits full on, he is going to miss more time, and the sands of time for the Pats are going to run out faster.

What mobility? He had none to begin with! :D

Patsfan56
10-20-2008, 11:23 AM
:laugh2:
Yeah, watching Brady run doesn't exacly invoke memories of Randall Cunningham in his early days...

ZHawk1123
10-20-2008, 11:37 AM
He'll be normal Brady...

bagwell368
10-20-2008, 12:48 PM

There is zero doubt in my mind that Brady is one of the most elusive QB's of all time. Elusive to get into open space to buy time to evade the rush - to do his job.

There is also zero doubt that the Bobby Douglas, Fran Tarkington, Michael Vick, Cunnigham, and the Zorn QB's are not winners since they focus on running more then passing. The greatest QB's of all time include Brady, Young, Montana, Elway, and Staubach. You'll also notice that Young and Elway got better when they stopped being the show, and started doing their jobs. Able to run and move when needed, but not as a first option.

Red_Sox_89
10-20-2008, 01:50 PM
I think the Pats gotta try to pick up a running back in the offseason, and that will help Brady a lot. Instead of having 4 possible runningbacks play in a game with 8 or 9 rushes a game, get one workhorse running back, and maybe a goalline back. My favorite of the four possibilities we have right now is Sammy Morris. He has 3 td's, and a few great games this year.

KingJamsI
10-20-2008, 02:36 PM
You'll have to point out one of those "great Sammy Morris games" to me, because i haven't seen any. I don't think the pat's are looking for a workhorse back, because its really not in style anymore. the lifespan on these guys is so poor that most teams are moving away from that mindset. I personally would rather have 4 guys who can contribute and make alot less money, and who can't get complacent with their job. THe problem on this current team is that the line is not a run blocking line. When people arn't playing dime and quarter defense looking for the air assault, we can't run. NO back can change that....Maroney has taken alot of criticism this year, alot of which he deserves, but on the majority of the plays in which he is "dancing" it is because there's already someone in the backfield.

Red_Sox_89
10-20-2008, 02:50 PM
You'll have to point out one of those "great Sammy Morris games" to me, because i haven't seen any. I don't think the pat's are looking for a workhorse back, because its really not in style anymore. the lifespan on these guys is so poor that most teams are moving away from that mindset. I personally would rather have 4 guys who can contribute and make alot less money, and who can't get complacent with their job. THe problem on this current team is that the line is not a run blocking line. When people arn't playing dime and quarter defense looking for the air assault, we can't run. NO back can change that....Maroney has taken alot of criticism this year, alot of which he deserves, but on the majority of the plays in which he is "dancing" it is because there's already someone in the backfield.

He had one game in which he got 10 rushes for over 50 yards, and that's sharing the workload with the other guys. His best two games were week 1 and week 6.
Week 1- 10 rushes, 53 yards, 5 receptions, 34 yards, 1 TD
Week 6- 10 rushes, 26 yards rushing, but he had 4 catches for 49 yards and a TD

Not great numbers, but great considering our Offensive line can't block right now

bagwell368
10-20-2008, 03:21 PM
I think the Pats gotta try to pick up a running back in the offseason, and that will help Brady a lot. Instead of having 4 possible runningbacks play in a game with 8 or 9 rushes a game, get one workhorse running back, and maybe a goalline back.

Don think so. BB doesn't want that concentration due to RB's being by far the most injury prone position, and if he does develop a star, he'll have to pay him that way. Better getting cast offs like that Morris who if they are not super backs at least have proven that they can take a fair amount of pounding.

KingJamsI
10-20-2008, 05:25 PM
Yeah i'm not prepared to call that great, or even above average. that is NFL production on par with lucky to be in the game. Looks like J.R. Redmond numbers back in BB's first year, haha.

Patsfreak1776
10-23-2008, 10:34 AM
First he as to get back on the field, and with today's news , that may not be until 2010.

The Intimidator
10-23-2008, 01:41 PM
First he as to get back on the field, and with today's news , that may not be until 2010.

Come on, don't overreact. He'll still be back at some point in 2009. Even if he has to undergo a second ACL reconstruction, which he might, that only delays his recovery time by a month or two. It certainly doesn't hold him out an additional year.

laxtonto
10-23-2008, 05:59 PM
I would expect about 80% of what is a average season for him. That might be generous at this point though. Kinda scary situation with the recurring infection. Lets not forget the problems throughout football with staph infections as it is.

Hopefully Brady won't need a second reconstruction, but this could severely hamper his rehab. Bad news across the board on this one.

Brooke
10-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Honestly I am not sure. I am sure if he will be himself right away it will probably take time. He wont have a season like he did last year, that was special.

It really sucks that is happening to him.

Red_Sox_89
10-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Like I said in the NFL thread on him... I'll donate my leg to him. I'm 5'11, he's 6'4. It won't be great, but it'll work. ACL/MCL injuries usually take 6-9 months to recover, so at the latest, he should be back around July

cmoneytakemoney
10-23-2008, 09:43 PM
ACL/MCL injuries usually take 6-9 months to recover, so at the latest, he should be back around July

Yeah I agree. Before this happened he was said to be ahead of schedule so I look at it as a minor setback. He'll be ready for next years opener. He might be only 75% for the first half of the season but, he'll be fine.

Red_Sox_89
10-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Yeah I agree. Before this happened he was said to be ahead of schedule so I look at it as a minor setback. He'll be ready for next years opener. He might be only 75% for the first half of the season but, he'll be fine.

Brady at 75% is better than Cassell at 100%

hotpotato1092
10-24-2008, 10:40 AM
based on the track record of athletes, especially quarterbacks, with acl injuries, there is not a great chance he'll come back and be tom brady. Look at the last two big time quarterbacks with ACL injuries, Daunte Culpepper and Carson Palmer. Culpepper's out of the league and Palmer just doesn't look the same.

The Intimidator
10-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Good news. Dr. James Andrews, one of the most respected sports surgeons in the country, has weighed in on Brady's infection, and says that Tom is on the right track. His recovery timetable might not be as affected after all. :pray: that this is true!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3658987

BostonHooligan1
10-24-2008, 03:15 PM
based on the track record of athletes, especially quarterbacks, with acl injuries, there is not a great chance he'll come back and be tom brady. Look at the last two big time quarterbacks with ACL injuries, Daunte Culpepper and Carson Palmer. Culpepper's out of the league and Palmer just doesn't look the same.

thats like comparing apples and oranges. Brady is far better than either of those 2. And people are forgetting the fact that yeah his knee is damaged right now...but he has the rest of the season and off season to rehab. plenty of time for a player of HIS caliber to get back to nomal. as long as the o-line can protect him next year he will be just fine...and then everyone will be saying tom brady looks like the brady of old....watch.

NYMetros
10-24-2008, 03:42 PM
In the best-case scenario, the infection delays his rehab and recovery for a couple of months. If critical time elapsed before the infection was discovered and the septic joint did not respond to cleanings and antibiotics, the graft used to replace the ACL could be compromised. That would mean the reconstruction would need to be revised.

Regardless, the infection could create long-term knee problems, including reduced mobility, stiffness, weakness, and lingering pain. Patients who suffer an infection might never regain full motion, a serious consequence for a professional athlete.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/10/24/brady_received_treatments_on_infected_knee_long_te rm_prognosis_still_unclear/

celticfan
10-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Brady may miss the 2009 season after the doctors in california messed up his operation.

The Intimidator
10-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Brady may miss the 2009 season after the doctors in california messed up his operation.

No man, didn't you see my last post? Brady is apparently responding very well to antibiotics and his recovery timetable might not be as affected after all.