PDA

View Full Version : Steelers of the Future/Draft

SenecaValley46
10-18-2008, 11:37 PM
Never to early to start talking about the draft. Heres a roster of what we'll look like down the road which will help identify some possible needs in the draft.

QB- Bens going to be around for 10 more years :clap:

Backs- Mendenhall and Carey Davis combined have two years experience. We invested a first round pick last year in Mendenhall to be the back of the future.

Receivers- Holmes, Sweed, Baker, and Washington all are relatively young. Suprsingly thats almost too much size lack of speed, no need to address this year or the year after but it'd be nice to bring in a guy who can really work the slot.

TE- Miller and Spaeth are just fine.

O-Line- Huge issues. Hills, Stapleton, Essex, Colon we need a lot of work here.

Nt- None. Hamptons contract is either up this year or next so we should have some kind of heir.

De- Our youngest End is 29 i believe so obviously we need to look at this draft for that.

OLB- Bruce Davis and Woodley. Solid group, they can really get at the passer.

Inside backers- Timmons and the other spots open. Humpal is the guy most likely so we'll need to address this probably in next years draft. So we get a legit starter.

Fs- Anthony Smith. Ehh iffy starter.

SS- Troy. But hes the oldest person ive put on the list.

CBs- McFadden and Gay are the younger guys looking to start. BMac has held up his own very impressively this year but keep in mind its a contract year so we'll see

We need olineman and dlineman in this years draft. Build from the trenches we seem to have it in other places.

Alex Mack ive us projected to pick him, they say hes one of the best C prospects theyve seen in 10 years. Theres also a lot of athletic offensive tackles. So we'll see.

hyp21
10-18-2008, 11:53 PM
I agree completely. I'd also like for us to go out and draft a shutdown type of corner. DT is definitely gonna be an issue as well cause I have a feeling that we won't be re-signing Hampton when his contract is up. I'm pretty sure we'll of course draft a LB in the later rounds. But imo our short list should look like:

OG
DT
OT

In that order. Then go DE and Corner. We really have no need to stray outside of these positions really

SenecaValley46
10-19-2008, 10:20 AM
I agree completely. I'd also like for us to go out and draft a shutdown type of corner. DT is definitely gonna be an issue as well cause I have a feeling that we won't be re-signing Hampton when his contract is up. I'm pretty sure we'll of course draft a LB in the later rounds. But imo our short list should look like:

OG
DT
OT

In that order. Then go DE and Corner. We really have no need to stray outside of these positions really

Most mocks ive seen have us drafting Alex Mack, thats just fine with me if he really is one of the best C prospects in 15 years if we get him late first round thatd just be great.

Any oline pick is needed were not set at anything, and Hampton is like 29 or 30 so hes up there in age plus he has his "weight" on him which will keep it even harder to say productive

hyp21
10-19-2008, 12:13 PM
^ I agree. Although I'm not really too impressed with the DT Class of '09. That kid from LSU sounds good but I dont think he'll fall past 15. Otherwise, the O-Line class does look pretty deep yet again.

NYMetros
10-19-2008, 12:36 PM
It's really going to hurt us when we lose Casey Hampton. He's the unsung hero of our defense. Just a great run stuffer that doesn't get enough credit from the national media.