PDA

View Full Version : Astros want list.

tripleplay2007
10-18-2008, 08:04 PM
What are our biggest needs to become a contender next season.

In my opinion we need a good pitcher, a catcher, and a CF.

For the catching spot I really wish we could get a young stud from the Rangers like Taylor Teagarden or Jarrod Saltamachia.

I know alot of us think that somehow we will pull a rabit out of our *** and get Peavy. I want him here. He wants to be here, but we can't offer near enough for him to come to Houston unless we lose Pence+++. So I'm going to say A.J. Burnett if we do not get Peavy.

For center field I would love for Willy T to come back.... :(

Just my thoughts.

djohn2oo8
10-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Yeah, it would take armed robbery to get peavy to Houston, but is worth a try. Daryl Morey did it with Artest. We can TRY to give them:

C- JR. TOWLES
P-FELIPE PAULINO
CF-MICHAEL BOURN
P-ALBERTO ARIAS

and maybe Fernando Nieve for

P-JAKE PEAVY
KHALIL GREENE

Corey Patterson is a free agent, I say either trade for Peavy or AJ Burnett, or sign Derek Lowe and maybe Mike Hampton. Then we can shop around for a Catcher because Quintero can handle some of the work

lawphin2
10-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Yeah, it would take armed robbery to get peavy to Houston, but is worth a try. Daryl Morey did it with Artest. We can TRY to give them:

C- JR. TOWLES
P-FELIPE PAULINO
CF-MICHAEL BOURN
P-ALBERTO ARIAS

and maybe Fernando Nieve for

P-JAKE PEAVY
KHALIL GREENE

Corey Patterson is a free agent, I say either trade for Peavy or AJ Burnett, or sign Derek Lowe and maybe Mike Hampton. Then we can shop around for a Catcher because Quintero can handle some of the work

I dont think that will even get us Peavy much less him and Khalil Greene.

nickymintz
10-19-2008, 12:09 AM
How bout this idea.

Pence, Wandy and a prospect for Peavy and then try and sign Dunn to replace Pence and maybe he'd sign for less money then he wants since he'd be getting to come home or maybe somebody like Bobby Abreu

chadtx01
10-19-2008, 01:14 AM
How bout this idea.

Pence, Wandy and a prospect for Peavy and then try and sign Dunn to replace Pence and maybe he'd sign for less money then he wants since he'd be getting to come home or maybe somebody like Bobby Abreu

I think signing Dunn would be a horrible idea. That would easily give us the worst defensive outfield in the major leagues.

Obviously we need starting pitching. I dont see us having enough to land Peavy, and I dont think Drayton will open the wallet enough to go after Burnett. I could see Sheets signing for slightly less because of his history with arm problems, but even thats a stretch.

Whoever it was that mentioned trading for Khalil....why? Where would you play him? Miggy isnt going anywhere. You're not going to move him to third with Wigginton and Blum, and Matsui is going to keep 2B locked down for a couple more years. Greene would be another below average bat on the bench and I dont see how that would benefit the team.

tripleplay2007
10-19-2008, 01:35 AM
I think signing Dunn would be a horrible idea. That would easily give us the worst defensive outfield in the major leagues.

Obviously we need starting pitching. I dont see us having enough to land Peavy, and I dont think Drayton will open the wallet enough to go after Burnett. I could see Sheets signing for slightly less because of his history with arm problems, but even thats a stretch.

Whoever it was that mentioned trading for Khalil....why? Where would you play him? Miggy isnt going anywhere. You're not going to move him to third with Wigginton and Blum, and Matsui is going to keep 2B locked down for a couple more years. Greene would be another below average bat on the bench and I dont see how that would benefit the team.

Won't really matter if we have pitching to actually compete. What if we were able to get Dunn in RF and Pierre for CF. We could actually move both Pence and Bourn. If Dunn was so bad at RF we could swap him and Lance and put Lance in RF. If we were able to do that I would crap my pants.

Realisticly. I think we are more likely to get A.J. Burnett. I really hope we can get Peavy though. Just are amount of prospecs worries me. I really can't see Wade having the brain capacity to pull of a mega deal like this. We really need a catcher who can hit and play defense as well. If we could keep either it would be a big big big help...

serGeant
10-19-2008, 03:10 AM
Houston might be able to offer a decent package, but I think San Diego knows they can just parlay that into a better offer from Atlanta. The Braves have better prospects at every position and the whole Houston angle could just drive up the Padres' asking price.

astrosmaniac
10-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Won't really matter if we have pitching to actually compete. What if we were able to get Dunn in RF and Pierre for CF. We could actually move both Pence and Bourn. If Dunn was so bad at RF we could swap him and Lance and put Lance in RF. If we were able to do that I would crap my pants.

Realisticly. I think we are more likely to get A.J. Burnett. I really hope we can get Peavy though. Just are amount of prospecs worries me. I really can't see Wade having the brain capacity to pull of a mega deal like this. We really need a catcher who can hit and play defense as well. If we could keep either it would be a big big big help...

so we would be:
LF- Lee
CF- Pierre
RF- Lance
1B- Dunn
2B- Matsui
3B- Wigginton
SS- Tejada
C-?
P-?

tcL
10-19-2008, 12:05 PM
What if we were able to get Dunn in RF and Pierre for CF.

Juan Pierre
09:$10M, 10:$10M, 11:$8.5M

check McLane's wallet first!
I don't think anyone would pay that money. If I were Dodgers GM I will give you Pierre free, just take that stupid contract.

Dunn, Pierre and Peavy in, Pence, Bourn and other players out...will make the payroll increase around 40M ..... You have to kidnap McLane first.

cegielskijastro
10-19-2008, 02:08 PM
so we would be:
LF- Lee
CF- Pierre
RF- Lance
1B- Dunn
2B- Matsui
3B- Wigginton
SS- Tejada
C-?
P-?

Lance isn't going back to the outfield he hates it, and i didnt know Dunn played first...

astrosmaniac
10-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Lance isn't going back to the outfield he hates it, and i didnt know Dunn played first...

i was going off of what he said. and dunn would have to play first cause him and lee = doubles when their should be singles

vick27m
10-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Houston will not get Peavy

chadtx01
10-21-2008, 12:58 AM

I wouldnt want to put Berkman back in the outfield. I know he's a few years removed from his knee injury but I think even with Dunn in the lineup, Berkman is more valuable. I wouldnt want to put the extra wear and tear on his knee.

Even good pitchers benefit from good defenses. Low line drives that would be outs with Pence, or another above average corner outfielder become a hit with Dunn. You can get away with one big lumbering outfield, but two hurts the overall cause.

Wizard of O's
10-21-2008, 07:30 AM
We need a starting pitcher or two. a catcher and a cf. although bourn is alright defensively and could grow into a good hitter. so just someone who hits right handed and can platoon.

i like the idea of acquiring Peavy but not now wait till he's a FA. we'd give up too much and create many more holes than we'd fill.

id get josh bard at catcher, jon garland as a starter and then someone like rocco baldelli or jim edmonds in cf

dchalphen
10-21-2008, 10:53 AM
We do not have what it takes to get Peavy, not even close. Braves are reportedly willing to part with Escobar, Johnson, and Hanson. Just because a prospect is one of the best in our farm system does not mean that they are highly sought after prospects throughout the league.

McLane is willing to open up his wallet but not on guys like Dunn and Burnett and I do not blame him. We need to start being a little creative in our quest for players because the free agent market is extremely bleak and Wade already hinted on a quiet offseason.

How about Coco Crisp? Leadoff CF who is expendable due to Jacoby Ellsbury (if he is not traded this offseason). Crisp can fill the void and I am pretty sure he does not have a huge contract. We coul probably get him for 2 of our highly ranked prospects.

We can afford to have one bad hitter in the lineup (catcher spot).

Crisp-CF
Matsui-2B
Berkman-1B
Lee-LF
Tejada-SS
Pence-RF
Wiggington-3B
Towles/Quinterro-C

Erstad
Abercrombie
Blum
Johnson/Lorg/Ash/Saccomano
Towles/Quinterro

Oswalt
Sheets
Rodriquez
Wolf
Moehler

Valverde
Brocail
Hawkins
Geary
Sampson
Brydak
Wright

RelaxedFan
10-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Paul Lo Duca would be a good fit at catcher for the Astros. He is coming off a bad year, but he was showing good numbers late in the season for Florida. When he was with the Mets, he was a solid #2 hitter. Kaz or Bourne in front and let Paul be a contact hitter behind one of them. IF Wade and Copper can teach Bourne to hit and they go Bourne then Kaz, Paul would be a great #8 hitter (#8 based on current players).

CF. You have to give Bourne one more year. We have other options behind him if he fails. Erstad can take his place and be an average replacement while Brian or Reggie MIGHT develop.

SP. You have to do something BIG hear. I keep making this point. In the 06-07 offseason, a solid #2 was on our list. We lost Andy and Houston was in the mix for John Garland but CWS asking price was to high (pence). So, timmy went with plan B and traded for Jennings. That was horrible. Plan A is Peavy..do everything to get Peavy

Pen: We can't count on both Brocail and Hawkins being back. Personally, I love the idea of tradeing for Jesse Crain. Solid young arm that could close down the line.

lilboytwister99
10-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Paul Lo Duca would be a good fit at catcher for the Astros. He is coming off a bad year, but he was showing good numbers late in the season for Florida. When he was with the Mets, he was a solid #2 hitter. Kaz or Bourne in front and let Paul be a contact hitter behind one of them. IF Wade and Copper can teach Bourne to hit and they go Bourne then Kaz, Paul would be a great #8 hitter (#8 based on current players).

CF. You have to give Bourne one more year. We have other options behind him if he fails. Erstad can take his place and be an average replacement while Brian or Reggie MIGHT develop.

SP. You have to do something BIG hear. I keep making this point. In the 06-07 offseason, a solid #2 was on our list. We lost Andy and Houston was in the mix for John Garland but CWS asking price was to high (pence). So, timmy went with plan B and traded for Jennings. That was horrible. Plan A is Peavy..do everything to get Peavy

Pen: We can't count on both Brocail and Hawkins being back. Personally, I love the idea of tradeing for Jesse Crain. Solid young arm that could close down the line.

Lo Duca is an option for C. I thought back when we were trying to trade for Garland, that the reason it didnt happen was that Taylor Bucholz failed his physical. I recall reading in the Chronicle that it would have been Bucholz, Hirsch, and Taveras for Garland. I didnt know Pence was asked for. News to me, although way too late now lol.

Imagine what the Astros would have as far as trade bait if we never made the Jennings or Tejada trade. We could have easily snagged Peavy had those two trades never happened.

RelaxedFan
10-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Moves like the Miggy and Jennings deal is one of many reasons why our farm system stinks.

Yeah, the news i heard was that at the last moment the CWS wanted Pence so the 'Stros pulled out.

Besides Peavy, I'm sold on Jesse Crain as an Astros (Ty plus low level A Prospect for Crain and mid level Prospect) then Valverede for Hank Blaylock + low level A Prospect. This would give us a better hitting 3B who is only 1-3 million more then Ty. Loosing Valverde + adding Hank give the Astros roughly 5 million extra in payrole. Easy enough to help with getting Lo Duca. Three deals that are mid-profile but solid. Not great, don't solve any real problems but on MY want list.

lawphin2
10-22-2008, 12:01 AM
Lo Duca is an option for C. I thought back when we were trying to trade for Garland, that the reason it didnt happen was that Taylor Bucholz failed his physical. I recall reading in the Chronicle that it would have been Bucholz, Hirsch, and Taveras for Garland. I didnt know Pence was asked for. News to me, although way too late now lol.

Imagine what the Astros would have as far as trade bait if we never made the Jennings or Tejada trade. We could have easily snagged Peavy had those two trades never happened.

Yea i'm pretty sure you're right about Buchholz's physical. That was the reason the Sox pulled out of the deal. Had Pence been asked for, the Astros would have been the ones to nix the trade and they weren't.