PDA

View Full Version : Delonte West treated for Depression? Who would have thought...

S.J.Basketball
10-18-2008, 09:40 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3649328

CLEVELAND -- Cleveland Cavaliers guard Delonte West contemplated quitting before leaving the team's training camp to seek help for depression and "a mood disorder" he has been battling his entire life.

West, who recently signed a two-year contract with Cleveland, said he removed himself from the team to "get my thoughts back together." He missed three preseason games during his absence from Oct. 4-15.

"I felt a feeling of anger and I just wanted to throw it all away and quit the team," he said.

The 25-year-old candidly discussed his condition following practice on Friday. West said he had been troubled by his behavior toward a high school referee during a scrimmage at the Cavs' training facility on Oct. 3. West took out his frustrations on the official, and said the incident was a warning signal for him to seek treatment to combat an illness that has troubled him for years.

"I needed help," he said.

West is taking medication and has been attending therapy sessions.

"In a sense, you feel like a weaker man because you have to raise your hand and ask for help," West said. "But I found out over the last week that it made me a stronger person. I came back focused, and with the help of some medicine and talking with people on a regular basis, I'm back in good spirits.

"I'm back here 100 percent."

West played 28 minutes in Cleveland's loss to San Antonio on Thursday night. He made only 2-of-12 shots from the field and scored only 7 points, but the former Saint Joseph's guard said it was "the funnest game I've played in years."

"Being on the court felt like being on the playground as a child again," he said. "I had the time of my life last night."

West was acquired by the Cavaliers last season from Seattle as part of an 11-player trade before the Feb. 21 deadline. He was one of Cleveland's best players in the postseason, averaging 10.8 points, 3.3 rebounds and 4.2 assists in 13 games.

He entered the offseason as a restricted free agent. On Sept. 12, the Cavaliers, who were eliminated in the Eastern Conference finals last season by Boston, signed him to a two-year deal that included a club option for the 2011-12 season.

West is expected to compete with Daniel Gibson for playing time in Cleveland's backcourt alongside Mo Williams.

West said his mood problems date to his childhood. He has always been able to find peace in the gym, but he has struggled with relationships away from the floor.

West said his mood swings seem to be most erratic when his life seems to be in order.

"When everything is on the upside, I'm feeling the worst," said West, who thanked his teammates, including LeBron James, for their support while he was away.

"This is the epitome of a family organization," he said. "I want to go to war for these people. I would die for them, I really mean that."

Cavaliers coach Mike Brown wasn't surprised to hear that West was open about discussing his condition.

"He's a good guy," Brown said. "He's a trustworthy guy and forthright."

West said he's not concerned about any outside perception about his condition and he's not worried about what others think about him.

"Only God is my judge," he said. "All that matters is how I feel about myself."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

AirJordanXVIII
10-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Yea pretty odd. I read this last night.

_Sn1P3r_
10-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Hah, wow.

y_noble
10-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Uhmm? This happens to so many people, y'all should not be suprised if there's a LOT more players in the NBA with similar problems.

Shieldsz
10-18-2008, 01:42 PM
good to see him back. I'm glad he went for help.

BkOriginalOne
10-18-2008, 02:07 PM
He does always seem kind of sad.
I can't picture him smiling.

Nexus
10-18-2008, 02:41 PM
a common problem.

Yogi
10-18-2008, 03:02 PM
He's having problems coping with the fact that he plays for the Cavs.

dre1990
10-18-2008, 03:58 PM
not a big deal at all

RapsGuy23
10-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Hopefully he can find a way to manage.

Beno7500
10-18-2008, 04:10 PM
depression is nothing but fake crap

Atticus Finch
10-18-2008, 04:17 PM

I really hope you're joking

laker1000
10-18-2008, 04:17 PM
wow

jetsfan28
10-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Good to see, if more athletes admitted their problems (whether it be depression, or drugs, or alcohol, etc.), they wouldn't be viewed so badly by many people, and we wouldn't have as many Pacman Joneses running around.

Beno7500
10-18-2008, 04:28 PM
I really hope you're joking

Nope

LAKERS 24/7
10-18-2008, 04:28 PM

why?

mfudge
10-18-2008, 05:01 PM

you're a dumbass. stop posting stupid **** all over the forum. you contribute nothing. and wtf is that video in your sig? kmarts greatest highlight? looks like some random *** dunk that nobody but your dumbass cares about. depression is real. you're too stupid and ignorant to understand that.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
10-18-2008, 05:15 PM
hope everything goes okay

Kaptain Kanada
10-18-2008, 05:17 PM
If I was as ugly as Delonte West I'd be depressed too.

SwaggaIke
10-18-2008, 07:34 PM
If I was as ugly as Delonte West I'd be depressed too.

That's the same thing I was thinkin. Dude ugly as hell and he got some herpes lookin **** under his mouth. I'd be depressed as hell if I was him. At least he got millions.

Beno7500
10-18-2008, 08:31 PM
you're a dumbass. stop posting stupid **** all over the forum. you contribute nothing. and wtf is that video in your sig? kmarts greatest highlight? looks like some random *** dunk that nobody but your dumbass cares about. depression is real. you're too stupid and ignorant to understand that.

OK. Sorry to bother you. I don't want trouble. :worthy:

lakersrock
10-18-2008, 08:34 PM

Nope

I guess you think cancer, std's and addiction are fake too.

LAKERS 24/7
10-18-2008, 08:39 PM

He's fifteen, he really doesn't know any better.

Beno7500
10-18-2008, 08:42 PM

Yep. All made up

cmellofan15
10-18-2008, 09:06 PM
He's gonna have problems when he retires b/c that's when most atheletes become depresseed

Lebron23
10-19-2008, 03:11 AM
He doesn't look depressed againts the Philadelphia 76ers after he scored 17 points, and dished out 10 assists.

arlubas
10-19-2008, 03:32 AM

Ignorance is bliss.

Boozerguy47
10-19-2008, 04:36 AM
good to see him back. I'm glad he went for help.

Sums it up perfectly. I'm hoping West has a solid year :clap:

JayW_1023
10-19-2008, 04:51 AM
I'm a Delonte West fan...I think it's pretty brave to speak openly about those things. West is a solid player and I'm glad he is finally getting recognized now that he is on National TV more often playing for Cleveland.

Before the trade for him Cleveland was one of the most boring teams to watch (aside from LBJ). I mean, Larry Hughes...*shudders*

UofA
10-19-2008, 05:05 AM

:pity::pity::pity:

TMAC94
10-19-2008, 06:01 AM
BENO7500: how is depression fake crap? how do u know what his gone through? ive been close too depression and to be honest its far from a good feeling and not easy to get over

Faneik
10-19-2008, 07:26 AM

dumb post of the month...

grow up!

Spurred1
10-19-2008, 04:13 PM
I commend him for actually talking about it. Depression is a pretty common and destructive mood disorder. The fact that he can talk about it and get help for it shows that it doesn't have to be some secret; most people aren't comfortable talking about mental illness/disorders.

kswissdaf
10-19-2008, 04:25 PM
sad

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
10-19-2008, 09:34 PM

Wow your classy..:rolleyes:

What team do you root for? Wizards.. HAHA What a joke they are.

cmellofan15
10-19-2008, 09:39 PM
LOL Beno :laugh:

Buckwheat
10-19-2008, 09:40 PM

I'm going to bother you until you're on suicide watch. It's not fake. Grow up.

Beno7500
10-19-2008, 10:09 PM
jeez, you all get offended to easy

LeBrowns
10-19-2008, 10:14 PM

or hes tired of taking out the wizards in the first round every year

Beno7500
10-19-2008, 10:17 PM
^ Nice one. haha

Kaptain Kanada
10-19-2008, 10:23 PM
That's the same thing I was thinkin. Dude ugly as hell and he got some herpes lookin **** under his mouth. I'd be depressed as hell if I was him. At least he got millions.

Thats a good point... he got millions. Aren't they doing face transplants now? He could afford to get a better face transplanted over that fugly mess.

bogdanrom
10-19-2008, 10:32 PM
This is so pathetic. I know I'm supposed to feel sad for him but depressed. At what? The millions he's getting. The only thing he should be depressed about is that he is going to back up Mo Williams.

SAVAGE CLAW
10-19-2008, 11:38 PM
Oh how sad i am, how miserable i am, im making millions just for playing a game
Buwahhhhhhhhh bwahhhhhhhh

I dont know who i loath more this guy or Kurt CObain.

Beno7500
10-19-2008, 11:54 PM
^ Thats what I'm talking about.

SAVAGE CLAW
10-20-2008, 12:08 AM
Ive decided i loath West more.

Cobain at least was a drugaddict who shot up junk and Opiacidums that are known to lead to Depressions, as a Phisic Fact.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
10-20-2008, 01:44 AM
Of course a guy making millions doesn't look like the kind of guy to be depressed. You guys are being pretty ignorant about this. For one it's not his choice to be depressed it's called a disorder. People that have mental disorders don't choose to be that way.

Hellcrooner
10-20-2008, 03:17 AM
Theres nothing fun about depression, My wife is just recovering and it almost ended our relationship, so i think joking is out of place.

bclin
10-20-2008, 03:55 AM
Of all the bad posts I've read on this forum, some of the posts on this thread have been the most shameful.

Chronic, clinical depression, which is what Delonte suffers from, typically is not due to life events, but rather due to biological causes. Certainly, traumatic life events can spark the onset of a depressive episode, but I don't think that's what's happening here (at least, the article makes no mention of anything leading to this episode). Depression is due to chemical imbalances in a person's brain, and can be genetically inherited from older generations. Making millions of dollars per game (which he doesn't... in fact, no one does unless you make either $100M+ per season, or you have several large lucrative endorsements like Lebron) should have nothing to do with his depression. Certainly, his financial situation gives him an opportunity to have it treated, but in no way will affect his having depression or not.

There is no real "cure" for chronic depression, and anti-depressants really do nothing for clients with depression besides mask their symptoms (anti-depressants cause apathy, and in some cases euphoria). This is not something people should joke about.

Read a book, go to school, or grow up and show some class.

infamous
10-20-2008, 04:20 AM
Of all the bad posts I've read on this forum, some of the posts on this thread have been the most shameful.

Chronic, clinical depression, which is what Delonte suffers from, typically is not due to life events, but rather due to biological causes. Certainly, traumatic life events can spark the onset of a depressive episode, but I don't think that's what's happening here (at least, the article makes no mention of anything leading to this episode). Depression is due to chemical imbalances in a person's brain, and can be genetically inherited from older generations. Making millions of dollars per game (which he doesn't... in fact, no one does unless you make either $100M+ per season, or you have several large lucrative endorsements like Lebron) should have nothing to do with his depression. Certainly, his financial situation gives him an opportunity to have it treated, but in no way will affect his having depression or not.

There is no real "cure" for chronic depression, and anti-depressants really do nothing for clients with depression besides mask their symptoms (anti-depressants cause apathy, and in some cases euphoria). This is not something people should joke about.

Read a book, go to school, or grow up and show some class.

Good post! :clap:

Some people are just plain ignorant. They bash and make comments about the situation West is in, like: "Oh how sad i am, how miserable i am, im making millions just for playing a game, I loathe him now, etc" when they have no clue what it is all about. :pity:

I had a friend who had chronic depression. He was just depressed everyday without a reason. He committed suicide.

Depression is no joke.

UnWantedTheory
10-20-2008, 05:05 AM
I suffer from depression as well as my mother...I was not offended in the least. People can cope differently. My mother needs medication where as I do not. If you know your signs then you know when or how it could hit. You learn yourself and how to control it. I myself dont have any problems with what I have. I choose to believe its like a choice to make. So I make a choice. Some peoples minds are stronger than others. But either way I was not offended and I am a firm believer in laughing at misfortune. We should laugh because we can. Now some make it classless, but it doesnt have to be that way. We as people get overly offended. It seems some of you go out of your way to be offended. Who cares what other idiots say. This is something directly related to my situation and I could care less about the comments. Some were actually funny. Please people lets not let others comments put us in a funk just cause "we knew someone" or whatever reasons you may give. Live and let live. We are all different. Or maybe im just an ******* like the rest of the *******s and I just happen to be one that suffers from depression. :)

SwaggaIke
10-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Real talk, I know depression is real and its really nothing to joke about. But in my eyes West is living the dream. He's a young, black millionaire. I don't see how life could be any better for him.

Rome
10-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Its sad. I'm sure its a big problem among players just nobody talks about it.

iluvsports2much
10-20-2008, 03:49 PM
i think i would be depressed too if i looked like delonte west.hey i give him full props tho cuz he neva even bothered to get a facelift or anything!!way to stick wit wat god gave him...

anyway...... 100 posts!!!!!!!!!!

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Spurred1
10-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Its sad. I'm sure its a big problem among players just nobody talks about it.
Gee, I wonder why no one talks about it...if some of the responses here are any indicator of what fans overall think about the issue. I sure hope that isn't the case, though.

Beno7500
10-20-2008, 08:32 PM
But why would you be depressed about playing in the NBA? that's the fricken best job in the world!