PDA

View Full Version : Rick Knapp hired as new pitching coach

chetlemon
10-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Would have liked to see Mazzone, but this guy seems pretty good. Comes from the Twins orginization. I won't act like I have a clue who he is, but seems as if he has worked out pretty good developing Twins young pitching. Any thoughts???

ALREADY POSTED. SORRY.

Lionsforlife
10-17-2008, 03:46 PM
I was disappointed on the surface because I've never heard of this guy and also was confused as to why we wouldn't even talk to Mazzone. However, looking at all of the young pitching that has thrived in Minny, maybe this guy will do something. I hope so. The only thing I can say that if he has had any hand in developing those guys over there, then he could turn out to be a great hire.

Here's hoping.

Nizzle20
10-17-2008, 04:32 PM
I was disappointed on the surface because I've never heard of this guy and also was confused as to why we wouldn't even talk to Mazzone. However, looking at all of the young pitching that has thrived in Minny, maybe this guy will do something. I hope so. The only thing I can say that if he has had any hand in developing those guys over there, then he could turn out to be a great hire.

Here's hoping.

my thoughts exactly.
Though I am really curious why the Tigers didnt even offer an interview to Mazzone.

JackB
10-17-2008, 07:55 PM
Can you say MONEY ?

Epic89
10-18-2008, 08:59 PM
He's got his work cut out for him; softest starting pitching staff I've ever seen, and the worst bullpen in the bigs

grizzly21
10-18-2008, 10:56 PM
21 years in the minors cant even prepare you for Dontrelle and the boys

stanpapi
10-19-2008, 01:44 PM
my thoughts exactly.
Though I am really curious why the Tigers didnt even offer an interview to Mazzone.

Maybe this guy is the answer, maybe not. Whatever, they brought in someone who would not be a threat to other people in the organization. Which is what this organization does best -- it walks on eggshells so as not to hurt anybody's little feelings.

mattd24
10-20-2008, 10:21 AM
This guy is a fantastic hire...Mazzone is in one word - overrated. He did some amazing things with amazing pitchers in Atlanta but when he got a below average staff in Baltimore they showed NO improvement...that team is still a mess.

Knapp comes in with no MLB experience, but he's breeded the best young rotation (outside of TBay). All five of the starters in the Twins rotation were home grown and each but one won 11 games.

He's got a LOT of work to do but I give him the benefit of the doubt right now...I think this guy will do a solid job.

hoog
10-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Don't know much about him but the Twins pitchers throw strikes and they are young. If he can cut our base on balls by a third then we are on the right track. Our staff needs to put it over the plate, plain and simple, just go after the hitters. Too many times they try to get cute and think. I hope this guys first speech to the Tigers staff is "just throw the damn ball!"